PDA

View Full Version : Used gen3 G19 and Wolf ammo

Arik
04-09-12, 07:38
I noticed that while shooting wolf 9mm fmj out of my G19 occasionally it will need a second strike to touch of the primer. This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes once every mag, sometimes not at all, other times 3,4,5 times a mag. This is the only ammo this happens with.

I know Russian ammo uses harder primers but out of all my handguns this problem only happens with the G19.
Here's a list of what I've shot this ammo in...
Kahr CW9
CZ85
2 S&W 5946
HK USP9
M&P9
G19

Generally I dont worry much the occasional second strike with Russian ammo but the fact that it only happens in that gun plus the fact that it was a duty weapon worries me a bit. Im beginning to think maybe something might need to be replaced.

Any thoughts or advice?

M4arc
04-09-12, 07:41
Don't change anything on your gun. You should be shooting Wolf only for plinking so don't put much thought into it. However, I would pull it apart and clean out the firing pin channel and if it has a high round count you might want to replace the firing pin spring. That's it. Find some Blazer in you want to shoot cheap ammo. It's cheaper than Wolf nowadays.

Arik
04-09-12, 07:48
Yep its range ammo only. Ive had this ammo for a while just finishing up whats left of it. As for round count, I have no idea. I haven't had this gun long. Bought it around xmas time. My own shooting? maybe about 500 rounds. Being a service weapon before it has holster wear but no clue if it was fired a lot. Came from Miami area PD.

Jonny4523
04-09-12, 08:21
...I would pull it apart and clean out the firing pin channel...

Dito. I had a similar issue with my XD. Turns out, I was getting solvent into the firing pin hole. It would mix with the junk in there and build up, not allowing the firing pin to extend as far as it should. When I took mine apart, I had to use dental picks to get the firing pin return spring out. I no longer use wet patches on that front face near the firing pin hole for that very reason.

Just a thought.

5pins
04-09-12, 08:40
Take it apart and make sure that the firing pin channel is clean and dry. If you still have problems after that then you could try a new firing pin spring just to be safe.

OldGreg
04-09-12, 10:03
I'll admit that my used G17 ran great until i tried some Tula.. i had a few light primer strikes. I just went ahead and ordered a new striker spring and it runs fine now. A OEM striker spring is pretty cheap, like $3.50. I'd recommend just getting one of those so that you know it's up to spec. I just hate the shipping charges on a little part like that, so shop around.

You might consider adding a trigger return spring to your shopping cart, and perhaps a grip plug... they are both cheap too and shouldn't add any cost onto the shipping charge.

~G

Heavy Metal
04-09-12, 10:59
Make sure the firing pin end aka the tip of the striker is also not deformed or damaged.

Voodoo_Man
04-09-12, 12:31
I only use wolf for shooting/training, no issues like this (through four different glocks).

Good suggestions here, take it apart and see if your firing pin has issues.

Magsz
04-09-12, 13:39
Wolf has VERY hard primers as i believe they use small rifle primers in their pistol ammunition.

This is not uncommon and between guns, some will run it better than others.

As others have said, replace your striker spring, ensure there is no damage to the channel liner and striker and move onward.

Arik
04-10-12, 09:25
Thanks for the suggestions. Im gonna give it a thorough cleaning first and go from there.

556A2
04-10-12, 13:04
Its probably just the ammo.

I had several dud rounds in one box of Tula 9mm.