PDA

View Full Version : Trigger choices..........

shark31
01-03-08, 21:46
I just completed my MRP collection with a rifle length MRP and several barrels. I have it set up with a 16" SS 5.56, 16" CL 6.8, and soon to be 18" SS 5.56 and 20" .204Ruger barrels. I have a Short Dot and will soon have a NF 3.5-15x for the upper. My goal is to have a Recce/SPR/Prarie dog rig, but I'm having trouble with the trigger selection.

With the revamped CMC trigger and the Timney trigger, I have decided to give single stage triggers a second look. I have also looked at the 2-stage triggers and from what I gather the Giessele is the way to go. I am a little lost and need some help from you guys.

What trigger would be a good compromise that I could take to a 1.5K round carbine class running the recce/short dot setup and then take to South Dakota and bust prarie dogs for a week at 350 hundred yards using the NF and .204 setup? Am I looking in vain, or is there a do-all trigger that is durable, has a light pull weight, short reset, and short overtravel?

Also, I believe I remember reading that Sundevil has a lower with a screw that adjusts the tension between upper and lower, do any other lowers have this feature?

Thanks for any help guys!

graffex
01-04-08, 20:49
If you don't like the stock trigger the Giesselle is the way to go.

FlyingHunter
01-05-08, 22:58
I have a "drop in" JP Enterprises and its been great

losbronces
01-05-08, 23:25
I just completed my MRP collection with a rifle length MRP and several barrels. I have it set up with a 16" SS 5.56, 16" CL 6.8, and soon to be 18" SS 5.56 and 20" .204Ruger barrels. I have a Short Dot and will soon have a NF 3.5-15x for the upper. My goal is to have a Recce/SPR/Prarie dog rig, but I'm having trouble with the trigger selection.

With the revamped CMC trigger and the Timney trigger, I have decided to give single stage triggers a second look. I have also looked at the 2-stage triggers and from what I gather the Giesselle is the way to go. I am a little lost and need some help from you guys.

What trigger would be a good compromise that I could take to a 1.5K round carbine class running the recce/short dot setup and then take to South Dakota and bust prarie dogs for a week at 350 hundred yards using the NF and .204 setup? Am I looking in vain, or is there a do-all trigger that is durable, has a light pull weight, short reset, and short overtravel?

Also, I believe I remember reading that Sundevil has a lower with a screw that adjusts the tension between upper and lower, do any other lowers have this feature?

Thanks for any help guys!

If you want to tighten the fit between any lower and upper, you can buy one of these wedges for about $3.00: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Accuwedge-p/accuwedge.htm

I think that you would be happy with the Geisselle high speed trigger. It is a little more difficult to install than the drop-in triggers. The Match and DMR give about a 2 lb pull on the first stage, followed by a lighter, adjustable 2nd stage trigger pull of about (4-14 oz for the match and .5 to 1.5 lbs for the DMR). The service rifle trigger has a a nominal 4 lb first stage pull followed by the DMR 2nd stage pull. I haven't seen any reports of this trigger failing.

CONKLE73
01-08-08, 10:45
CMC drop in... +1

Paulinski
01-08-08, 10:46
I have Geiselle Match trigger in my SPR clone. I really like this trigger, make my stock GI triggers feel like they have sand in them. Gritty as hell.

Shihan
01-08-08, 12:47
If you want to tighten the fit between any lower and upper, you can buy one of these wedges for about $3.00: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Accuwedge-p/accuwedge.htm

Not the best option if you want the weapon to be useful in SD.

shark31
01-08-08, 13:02
Not the best option if you want the weapon to be useful in SD.

Agreed, I DO NOT want to go that route. I was intrigued by the Sundevil approach and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Also, it seems as though the two stage geisele is the way to go. Is there a problem with the adjustable versions becoming "unadjusted"?

Shihan
01-08-08, 13:12
Agreed, I DO NOT want to go that route. I was intrigued by the Sundevil approach and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

Also, it seems as though the two stage geiselle is the way to go. Is there a problem with the adjustable versions becoming "unadjusted"?

The Sun Devil approach is well thought out. If it did come loose it wouldnt hurt anything as the screw would just drop down into the grip.

shark31
01-08-08, 13:17
Is there any reason to go with the DMR over the Match? Is the DMR more reliable?

DevL
01-09-08, 10:33
There are two springs with the Geissele that can be swapped. The trigger spring and the disconnector spring. Trigger spring controls the first stage and disconnector the second. These have nothing to do with reliablility.

The springs come in two weights, Match (light) and Service (heavy). The DMR is just one spring from each. I have seen the Geissele mention the DMR as a heavy first stage and light second stage. I do not like that set up. I have seen the DMR referenced as the light first stage and heavy second stage. This is what I use. I believe for like an extra $5-10 you can get both spring packs and be able to set it up however you like and this is what I got.

I wanted a 3.5-4 pound trigger that was similar in its weight and distribution of weight to the stages of my old KAC 2 stage with 3.5# spring installed. The light first stage and heavy second stage gave me this and also gave me my 3.5# weight.

Additionally you can adjust the overtravel on the Geissele to a very small amount. When you do this the reset becomes incrediblly short and you can fire very quickly and the trigger will feel like a single stage trigger in close but when you need the 2 stages for precision it is there for you. The non adjustable Geissele will not have this feature so dont think you can cheap out and have the "same trigger but more reliability". It will be a traditional long 2 stage.

I reccomend my reverse DMR trigger and minimum overtravel (it will take several screw rotations) for ANY rifle as that is the best trigger available for the AR15 bar none IMO. I use mine on a suppressed SBR and it does not feel out of place. I can find no fault in the Geissele in any aspect other than the need to clearance my selector to fit the trigger propperly which is detailed in the instructions. Once it is set up and broken in it is the "do everything and be perfect in every way" trigger I always dreamed of for the AR.