PDA

View Full Version : Custom 700 in 260 Rem or build off an existing 6.5x55 Swede Mauser

jwfuhrman
04-09-12, 21:54
I put the bug in my 'Smiths ear to find me a 700 action(short) with the 308 bolt face so I can start piecing together my 260 Remington build. Well I was talking to my dad about it and he has a old, circa WWII Mauser in 6.5x55 Swede that he said I could have if I'd rather go that route.

Although loaded to higher pressures, the 260 Remington is basically similar to the 6.5 × 55 Swedish Mauser when bullet weights do not exceed 140 grains. When loaded with heavier bullets, the 6.5x55 Swedish is capable of greater velocity. But with its shorter overall length, the .260 Remington has a slight advantage over the Swedish Mauser in that it can be used in a shorter action.

Now my question is, what is available to bring that 6.5x55 Swede Mauser into the 21st century? Or should I just go my 260 Remington build route.

jwfuhrman
04-09-12, 22:05
before I forget, this build is being used as a precision rig, mostly clanging steel out as far as I can go(1000 local range), and the occasional Precision Tactical Rifle match. Basically lots of time spent prone or on a bench.

orkan
04-09-12, 22:58
Leave the mauser alone. It's fine as it is.

Build your 260 on a remmy and be done with it.

Dave Berryhill
04-10-12, 09:02
...Now my question is, what is available to bring that 6.5x55 Swede Mauser into the 21st century?...

Labor.....lot's of labor is what's required to turn an old military Mauser into a modern rifle. The Mauser has some good design features going for it such as the huge extractor and controlled-round feeding, which is why these actions are used for dangerous game rifles and other applications where uber reliability is desired, but the amount of metal work to bend or weld the bolt handle, update the safety and trigger, etc. can really add up.

For a target rifle, it's hard to beat a Remington action. Aftermarket parts are plentiful and there are lots of 'smiths with the skill to tune them.

jwfuhrman
04-10-12, 09:09
Thanks guys!

DTHN2LGS
04-10-12, 16:31
My custom rifle I built in Gunsmithing School was a 6.5 X 55 Ackley Improved on a Mauser '98 action. There were other guys there just sporterizing '96 Swedish Mausers too.

I used a Shilen Chrome Moly Match barrel with 1:8 twist and their 5 1/2 countour. Dave Berryhill is right, if I had had to pay for the labor on the Mauser I built, I couldn't have afforded to do it.

Use the Remington action. I hunt with a Rem. 700 in .260 Remington.

The Mauser is just too heavy to lug around in the woods, I tried it one deer season. I have a Burris 4 - 16x Signature Series scope on it, Timney Deluxe trigger, Brownell bolt handle welded on, Tubb Speedlock firing pin, Vais muzzle break, in a XX Claro Walnut Fajen Semi-inlet stock with real ebony fore end tip.

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/freyra2/P1000969-1.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad350/freyra2/P1000980-1.jpg

Sgt_Gold
04-12-12, 19:01
Labor.....lot's of labor is what's required to turn an old military Mauser into a modern rifle. The Mauser has some good design features going for it such as the huge extractor and controlled-round feeding, which is why these actions are used for dangerous game rifles and other applications where uber reliability is desired, but the amount of metal work to bend or weld the bolt handle, update the safety and trigger, etc. can really add up.

For a target rifle, it's hard to beat a Remington action. Aftermarket parts are plentiful and there are lots of 'smiths with the skill to tune them.

On top of this excellent advice I'll add that I have a CG M96 target rifle. The 6.5x55 is a long action cartridge, and I have to move my head every time I work the bolt. On my .308 700 I can keep my stockweld while working the bolt. This makes a big difference in how quickly I can get back on target and how quickly I can get the next shot off.