PDA

View Full Version : In the Market for a new CCW

LeipersForkFirearms
04-10-12, 09:44
Good Morning Out there!

This is probably a post thats been beaten to death but Maybe I can get some advise.

I have been an avid CCW guy for years now and have flopped between different set-ups a few times. My most recent was a S&W bodyguard .380, before that was a glock 27.

I am a small framed guy (I rode race horses for years) 5'5 135-145lbs now. The 27 was a hair to bulky and the bodyguard is nice but is lacking in the firepower department.

I will say that when I was carrying the glock that I had an awful belt that probably contributed to the problem.

So What Kind of set-up do yall suggest?

leipersforkfirearms.blogspot.com

Guns-up.50
04-10-12, 10:05
I think you may find most opinions doing a thread search...
but for instant results
I carry a G19 and love it love it..
Just from reading lots of the members here carry a sub frame glock or M&P, I think this may be the bulk of your responses.

Ron you beat me I was just about to mention belts and holsters, another thing mentioned is size I dress around my pistol not the other way. Your personal size shoud not matter I know may small guys that carry F/S gun, I have successfully concealed a 5" 1911 F/s M&P and a g 17

others may be:
PPQ
HK
Sub 1911

Kokopelli
Good Morning Out there!

This is probably a post thats been beaten to death but Maybe I can get some advise.

I have been an avid CCW guy for years now and have flopped between different set-ups a few times. My most recent was a S&W bodyguard .380, before that was a glock 27.

I am a small framed guy (I rode race horses for years) 5'5 135-145lbs now. The 27 was a hair to bulky and the bodyguard is nice but is lacking in the firepower department.

I will say that when I was carrying the glock that I had an awful belt that probably contributed to the problem.

So What Kind of set-up do yall suggest?

Good Morning.. Whichever pistol you choose, buy a purpose driven pistol belt and holster. I carry 1911's and a quality holster and belt makes all the difference.. Ron

Grizzly16
Walther pps, often called the single stack glock.

Sry0fcr
04-10-12, 10:27
What's your shirt wardrobe like? Is it possible that a new gun isn't the answer?

Grizzly16
04-10-12, 10:47
Good Morning.. Whichever pistol you choose, buy a purpose driven pistol belt and holster. I carry 1911's and a quality holster and belt makes all the difference.. Ron

I've got a good friend that carries a double stack 1911. He is 5'11 and about 155lb. A goood belt and holster (tuckable) can hide a lot of gun when carried at the 4 o'clock position.

JHC
04-10-12, 11:47
Walther pps, often called the single stack glock.

I've vote that . . . IF a G26 with attention to good holsters and good belts wasn't possible. I'm 5'11" @ 165-170 and I find plenty of occassion where the G26 works and a 19 doesn't quite when the requirements are absolute discretion and confined dress codes.

But the PPS is much thinner!

PrivateCitizen
04-10-12, 12:01
Agree with JHC.

If a G26 is not possible then seriously consider a PPS.

Scuttlebutt is M&P has one around the corner but jumping into something that new and unproven for CCW seems heady.

warpigM-4
04-10-12, 12:08
I'm 5'8 150lb carry a HK USP 45 compact sometimes with just a t-shirt
But also I carry myself a certain way as the wife likes to say :D.

to get the right weapon and Holster and belt is Just part of it .
the way you move and things you will be doing say at the grocery store bending over to pick up stuff, stretching and so on .

this should also be thought through, I carry everyday and I find that I will squat instead of bending over and I watch the way I move as to not draw attention that I have a weapon concealed .it has worked for me over 23 years now.
your average Joe would not know I had My 45 and extra Mags on my belt sometimes .

My stepdad was the worst at it he would pull and tug on his weapon all the time and people did notice it.
get a good comfortable set up and use it well Good Luck !!Just My two pennies :D

Arik
04-10-12, 12:24
I cannot stress enough the importance of a quality GUN belt and a quality holster. For years I was like you. I would stick with small guns for CCW because everything else was to heavy or bulky or both. I eventually settled on a Kahr CW9 for EDC even though I owned Smiths and Glocks. I carried the Kahr in one of those Uncle Mikes IWB holsters
http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/inside_the_pant_holsters.html
and using a regular sears/walmart leather belt. The setup was ok, in the respect that i was able to have a gun for self defence. My theory was if I can spend $12 why should I spend $50 or more for something that does the same thing. Besides if I buy a quality holster I'd have to order it and what if I dont like it and then have to try to sell or deal with shipping it back. HOW WRONG I WAS!

About 2 years ago a guy at a local show was making cross breed type holsters. You would leave the gun with him and he makes you a holster. He made me one for the Kahr and I instantly saw the advantage of spending a bit more on a more solid holster. Afterwards I went out and bought myself a real gun belt and several holsters for different guns. I now have no problem carrying a 40oz S&W 5946 all day long in a crossbreed IWB holster. Since then Ive switched to carrying my G19/17 and the S&W 5946.

Im 6'1 170lbs and I wear form fitting clothing and still have no problem concealing a full size auto. Trust me a quality belt and holster go a long way.

But if youre still looking for a thin single stack I'd recomand the Walther PPS or the Kahr CW9 in a crossbreed iwb holster

LotI
04-10-12, 12:25
I'm 6'2" 220lbs with broad shoulders and a 38" waist...with a cover garment I carry a HK P30 AIWB. With just a t-shirt I print a bit. Comp-Tac Minotaur.

Summertime carry is Kahr CW9, AIWB. Same things as the P9 and little bigger than the CM9/PM9. Perfect reliability and about $400. You do get used to the trigger since it's so smooth. I can get all 4 fingers on the grip and it's a joy to carry. Slimmer than a G-lock and I'm not at all undergunned with 147gr. loads.

RCI1911
04-10-12, 12:29
If the G27 was a bit too bulky then a Kahr CM, PM or MK series would be a good fit. Also as others have stated the Walther PPS has a good following.

I do think that you will be suprised what you can actually conceal with a high quality gun belt and holster. I've always had the best luck with all leather holsters. I've got a Brommeland Gunleather holster that will conceal a full size 1911 better then a Crossbread holster can hide a Kahr K9. I've been extremely impressed with the Brommeland holster. Also just ordered a Brigade Gunleather holster for my M&P9c that I can't wait to get my hands on. Currently using a lower end leather holster and it is lacking, but okay for a compact gun. The belt and holster need to be part of the equation when trying to conceal a gun.

vaglocker
04-10-12, 13:30
+1 for the Walther PPS

Bogart
04-10-12, 14:14
I have a similar build as you: 5'9" and about 140lbs. I carry an HK P30 and spare mag year round (except for when I'm on campus) and I have no problems concealing it, even in the summer with just a t-shirt. I just have to make sure it's a looser fitting shirt. I carry them on a Wilderness 5-stitch and it keeps my gun/mag, and everything else in my pockets up for 10+ hours at a time when needed.

t15
04-10-12, 14:41
For compacts:
1st choice: Walther PPQ
2nd: M&P 9c
3rd: G19
Sub compacts:
1st: Walther PPS
2nd: Kahr pm9

Dont buy another .380 and stay clear of keltecs!

Meth0d
04-10-12, 14:57
G19/G23

Grizzly16
04-10-12, 14:58
For compacts:
1st choice: Walther PPQ
2nd: M&P 9c
3rd: G19

All of those are quite a bit larger than a g27 which was already a bit too big for him.

Meth0d
04-10-12, 15:02
All of those are quite a bit larger than a g27 which was already a bit to big for him.

I think a better holster/belt will fix that. I carry a G23 IWB and I'm a bit taller but just as skinny.

Otdrsman85
04-10-12, 15:14
Ive been carrying a g19 for years but I recently bought a ruger sr40c that I plan to carry after I get done putting it through some rounds. Ive maybe put 1k rounds through it so far. If its problematic ill keep the glock but I do like the size of the ruger alot better....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

LeipersForkFirearms
04-10-12, 15:47
Great! Thanks for The Feedback this was exactly what I was looking for, Ill post back when I make my final decision but the Walther PPQ is in the lead!

If anyone gets bored check my review site

Grizzly16
04-10-12, 16:03
Great! Thanks for The Feedback this was exactly what I was looking for, Ill post back when I make my final decision but the Walther PPQ is in the lead!

If anyone gets bored check my review site

PPQ or PPS?

Pistol Shooter
04-10-12, 16:37
I've been very pleased with both my 9mm PPS.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN0002.jpg

And my 9mm HK P2000 SK.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/DSCN1280.jpg

Both are easy to shoot well, uber reliable, eat any ammo they're fed and easy to take down and clean.

Take a hard look at them OP and shoot them if you can.

Good luck.

Canonshooter
04-12-12, 10:48
5'7", 180, small hands.

Walther PPS 9mm in a CompTac Minotaur MTAC (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95&osCsid=dosaudbeecelqn002l37ide8k7) IWB holster.

Entire rig, including holster and pistol with loaded 7 round mag is under 2 pounds.

Extremely comfortable and very easy to conceal.

And of course, the Walther is excellent.

I've been carrying this set up for about a year, so now I feel naked without it. First IDPA match of the season this Saturday and just for grins and giggles, I'll be shooting it with my carry rig and three 8-round mags instead of the usual Glock 17.

redcat11
04-12-12, 15:38
I am 5'6" and weigh 175lbs with a 28" waist so concealing at first was an issue. But I resolved the problem, I carry either a 3.5" 1911 or the glock 36. I carry the glock 36 more often due to ease of maintenance, reliablity, and weight. I utilize a wild bill IWB holster, its very comfortable and very descrete.

Bigkrackers
04-12-12, 22:03
I too am looking for a new CCW. After years of rejecting Glocks I finally warmed up to them and started looking at the G19's but started reading about all these issues with the gen3's and gen4's. So, I started to look at the M&P 9 only to see they are having accuracy issues. Crappy time to look for a new CCW I guess. I'm left thinking that Sig and HK are it now. Not that Sig and HK are bad, just that those two manufactures are one step up cost wise from what I was wanting to spend. But if I have to spend a hundred or two hundred extra dollars and the extra time to get the Glock or M&P to work right I might as well spend it up front and get something that isn't having wide spread quality issues. So are gen 3's and gen 4 G19's and M&P's g2g or would you go up to Sig or HK if you were going to buy a ccw gun in the next 30 days?

Bogart
04-12-12, 22:42
Bigkrackers, unless you're planning on going with an older, West German Sig, I don't think you'll find an overwhelming amount of enthusiasm for Sigs on here; especially in comparison to HKs.

Bigkrackers
04-12-12, 22:55
Bigkrackers, unless you're planning on going with an older, West German Sig, I don't think you'll find an overwhelming amount of enthusiasm for Sigs on here; especially in comparison to HKs.

Not a big Sig fan myself. Would rather go with a G19 gen3 or M&P. I rented a G19 gen3 and put 100 rounds through it. Brass would eject at 5 and 6 o'clock about once every magazine. I have yet to shoot the M&P. I just don't like gambling on the reliability of a ccw gun. I have found a few used USP Compacts for around $700.

Bogart
04-13-12, 10:12
I just don't like gambling on the reliability of a ccw gun.

Definitely a good mentality! :D

I have found a few used USP Compacts for around $700.

For that price, I'd just go ahead and buy a new HK. My P30 was $865 brand new, at my local shop. Pricey, yes, but if the price difference was only about $150, I'd opt for something new. Just my $.02. Also, if you're looking at HK, you might also try looking at the P2000 and P30, in addition to the USPc.

Grizzly16
04-13-12, 10:15
I too am looking for a new CCW. After years of rejecting Glocks I finally warmed up to them and started looking at the G19's but started reading about all these issues with the gen3's and gen4's. So, I started to look at the M&P 9 only to see they are having accuracy issues. Crappy time to look for a new CCW I guess. I'm left thinking that Sig and HK are it now. Not that Sig and HK are bad, just that those two manufactures are one step up cost wise from what I was wanting to spend. But if I have to spend a hundred or two hundred extra dollars and the extra time to get the Glock or M&P to work right I might as well spend it up front and get something that isn't having wide spread quality issues. So are gen 3's and gen 4 G19's and M&P's g2g or would you go up to Sig or HK if you were going to buy a ccw gun in the next 30 days?

The M&P9 accuracy issues are a bit over blown. You are talking about inches at 25 yards. For competition/HSLD types yep it is an issue. But what ccw situation are you looking at making head shots only at 25 yards?

lebowski
04-13-12, 10:18
If you find the subcompact glock too bulky, I think the Kahr PM9 is worth a look. I'm carrying mine now. Significantly slimmer than the subcompact glocks, but gives up a little in terms of shootabiliy. Mine has been reliable.

MegademiC
04-13-12, 10:39
I found thickness is the biggest problem with hiding a gun, with grip length in second place. Thickness includes both the gun and the holster. I can "mexican carry" and it hides much better than when in the holster. Some of the new holster offerings that just encase the trigger guard may be the way to go, something to take a look at.

I also found appendix carry to hide better than anything else, and is the method I use, but it takes time to get used to having a gun pointed at "the boys". Its not for everyone. Also, safety is always #1, but with appendix carry, a mistake means sex change or death so you have to be 100% aware of what you are doing everytime you holster. I hoster the gun off my waist then put the holster on - it can be safe, just be alert.

FWIW, I do NOT mexican carry, but I've done it in front of a mirror just to see the difference.

Im 6' 140lbs, I carry a g19 sized gun (cz 75 compact 40) steel framed gun. A belt makes all the difference with concealment and comfort. Shorts and t-shirt are no problem.

Good luck with your search.

Bigkrackers
04-13-12, 10:56
The M&P9 accuracy issues are a bit over blown. You are talking about inches at 25 yards. For competition/HSLD types yep it is an issue. But what ccw situation are you looking at making head shots only at 25 yards?

I want a gun that I can CCW and use for handgun and carbine training classes. This is why I was looking at the Gen3 G19 in the first place and then the M&P. So, while training classes are not competition per se, a degree of accuracy, reliable and consistent performance is desired. Glock used to be the "it" gun for high marks in all of those areas as well as one of the best price to performance ratios.

So, if I'm over thinking this and Glocks and M&P's are still very good to go - you wouldn't hesitate to pick one up tomorrow - then I'll get off the pot and go get one.

Grizzly16
04-13-12, 11:00
I want a gun that I can CCW and use for handgun and carbine training classes. This is why I was looking at the Gen3 G19 in the first place and then the M&P. So, while training classes are not competition per se, a degree of accuracy, reliable and consistent performance is desired. Glock used to be the "it" gun for high marks in all of those areas as well as one of the best price to performance ratios.

So, if I'm over thinking this and Glocks and M&P's are still very good to go - you wouldn't hesitate to pick one up tomorrow - then I'll get off the pot and go get one.

If you think you need very small groups at 25 yards with a ccw pistol I doubt the M&P9 is your best option right now. As for G19s I haven't kept up too much but I was under the impression that it is finally back to being a reliable gun.

Personally I'd happily carry a M&P9c or get a used early gen3 glock 19. Because I simply can't envision a even slightly likely scenario where I'd take a 25 yard head shot with my ccw gun. I'm simply not a good enough shooter yet to confidently do that. If I can't aim for center mass because of a hostage or cover I"m going to find another way out of the situation.

feedramp
04-13-12, 11:29
That would be a nice choice. Since you're looking at a double stack, Glock has several that can be good choices too, as others have noted above.

Blankwaffe
04-13-12, 15:33
Some folks here may flip out,but Ive been using one of these for CCW:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p01/

So far it has shown to be a excellent handgun and very durable.Nice size and feel to the pistol with familiar features makes it a dual purpose role handgun.

Otherwise I carry my old P226 or 92 Ellite.

Bigkrackers
04-13-12, 18:29
Looking around at some of the other professional forums I think I'm leaning towards an M&P 9mm with a DCAEK or a Pro.

brushy bill
04-14-12, 09:31
I'd give the Shield a little time to see how it turns out and maybe pick up one of these...lot of questions to be resolved first, at least in my mind.

dirvo85
04-14-12, 16:02

If you're concerned about the accuracy issues of the m&p 9 FS have you thought about going to the m&p 9c? It's my understanding that the compacts are immune from the locking/unlocking issues that their big brothers have. My 9c is a tack driver and it's 12+1 (not to mention my spare 12 rounder and two spare 17 round mags with x-grips adapters that I will permanently attach to the 17rnd baseplates). I wouldn't hesitate to take mine to a carbine course. When you think about it some people take carbine/handgun classes with 1911's and other 45's with a capacity of 10 rounds or less. Just another option.