PDA

View Full Version : i'd like some input, please...

billybronco
04-10-12, 10:54
hey all,

i just picked up an AAC SD Remmy 700 in .308.

stock - junk.
trigger - can't tell yet.

right now though, i'm focusing on base, rings and optic.

i'm looking at Larue for the base. i'm thinking i'd be better suited for a 0 MOA as opposed to a 20 MOA as the majority of the shooting will be between 150 and 350; however, I do have the capability to go to 600.

Question 1: What kind of eye relief or strain will a 20 add that a 0 won't? In other words, will I have an easier time zeroing and acquiring a sight picture with 0 over 20?

The Nightforce base has an integral recoil lug machined into it to help relieve stress and provide a tighter lockup; however, they don't offer a 0 MOA.

Question 2: Does Larue have a similar design as far as the lug goes?

Rings.....Not sure where I'm gonna go right now....Thinking Nighforce at the moment. ???

Optic....Here's where I'm most conflicted. I've got around 1400.00 but I'd like to save a coupla hundred out of that for ammo, bipod, scope caps, etc....

I've narrowed it down to IOR, Trijicon and Vortex. All from Rainier.

i LOVE this scope.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1177

i like the idea of no batteries....???

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2976

all around, seems like best bang for buck on the market right now. what's typical battery life for these and the above IOR? the zero stop is a great feature, if you ask me.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2708

thanks again to all and please feel free to post any pics or other recommendations you might have.

Bacon Six Actual
04-10-12, 13:38
If you could provide a little more info on what you're trying to accomplish, that'd help a lot.

What will the bulk of your shooting be? Hunting? Target? Ringing steel?

A 20moa base isn't necessary to get to 600m, and the added elevation in the rear of the base will be too small to notice without gauges.

IOR makes a product with great glass, and repeatable adjustments. You'd do better to give Scott at Liberty Optics a call, he knows the IOR line inside and out, and has excellent prices on them.

Lowlight over at Snipers Hide did a comprehensive test of the LaRue's return to zero functions, and it's general suitability for a precision rifle, and after extensive testing, most of those guys will tell you that a GDI Precision mount will put any other QD mount to shame.

The golden standard for bases is Badger Ordnance. Put a 0moa Badger base on it and be done with it.

Is there any specific need for a QD mount on the stick? Unless you have a very specific NEED for a QD mount, you'd more than likely be much better served with a set of Badger rings.

Boxerglocker
04-10-12, 14:00
I like the VIPER PST and have one a 1-4 for my AR. With my R700 SPS Tac in .223 I went with a SWFA SS 10x42mm with my budget constraints otherwise the Viper would have been my choice too....

As for rings I went with TPS steel bases and rings.... good stuff and saved the cash.

billybronco
04-10-12, 19:21
mainly target shooting....punchin groups; however, we will have some MGM steel at 600.

i think you misunderstood my Larue reference. he makes actual remmy 700 bases or mounts. im trying to determine if i should go with his or if i could get away with a 20 MOA Nightforce base.

in other words...should i go with 0 or 20. i know that what optic i buy and what internal adjustment range it has plays a huge role; however, i'm just speaking in general terms.

thanks for the liberty optic recommendation.

i am; however, also watching the Magpul Precision Rifle series right now and this mad sumbitch teaching the class just gave praise to quick release mount/rings such as Larues....I don't know.

Not sure if I'm sold.....It is pretty badass to be able to take an optic off of an FAL and plop it down on a BCM 556, make a few adjustments and then be up and running, however.

anthony1
04-10-12, 23:48
All a 20 moa base does is cant your scope 20moa, it doesnt effect effect eye relief or visual quality.

A base can affect your ability to zero at closer ranges IF the total amount of moa adjustment in your scope is less than 2X the amount added by the base.

Most any scope has enough internal adjustment to not worry about it with a 20 moa base- for example to run into issues with zero at close ranges w/20moa base your scope would have to have less than 40moa of total adjustment, nearly every scope has more than 40 moa.

For shooting out to 600yds you wont need it but l'd probably go with a 20 moa base anyway just incase you do decide to really test the range of your 308 someday. Better to have and not need then need and not have.

A far as scopes for your price range l think the weaver 3-15 ffp, vortex pst, ss 5-20, and bushnell elite ffps are all solid. Those are all ffp, if you include sfp scopes there are a ton of options in your price range.

billybronco
04-11-12, 06:20
nice....thanks boss

MOA
04-11-12, 12:20
Go with the badger 20 moa base and rings. A 20moa base will not be noticeable to the shooter. I like vortex scopes for the money. Nikon is also good, especially if you don't need mill dots.
Is this just going to be a range target gun or can you see yourself doing tactical matches and unknown range stuff?

billybronco
04-11-12, 13:24
roger that.....strongly considering badger. im kind of a larue whore so that's why im so partial to buying his base. we'll see...

may go w/ seekins precision rings too.....

will be shooting around 350 mainly but also at unknown distances.

will def be used for whitetail too.

SeriousStudent
04-11-12, 20:18
I have the same base rifle. I went with the Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base and rings. I also bought a Vortex PST FFP 4-16x mil/mil scope from Scott at Liberty Optics. He's an excellent guy, and I have nothing but great things to say about his service.

Triad Tactical is also a good source. Very good customer service and good prices to boot.

I bought a Timney trigger, and am saving up for a AICS 2.0 stock. I'll have the stock money next month. I'll get an Atlas bipod after I have the stock.

Once the barrel starts to go, I'm going to send it to Aaron Roberts to get rebarreled in .260 Creedmor.

Buy once, cry once.

orkan
04-11-12, 22:39
Buy once, cry once. Buy once.

I see no reason to cry over money spent on quality gear.

SeriousStudent
04-12-12, 00:11
Buy once.

I see no reason to cry over money spent on quality gear.

I was following your advice, big guy. :D

That Vortex scope you recommended is really, really nice. It's made ranging practice so much easier with the mil\mil setup. And Scott was a great guy to deal with. I'm also saving up to buy a spotting scope from him, after the stock comes in next month.

orkan
04-12-12, 00:16
See. I don't sense much crying from you. ;)

MOA
04-12-12, 06:28
If unknown range I'd in the cards definatley go front focal plane. It takes the risk ok ranging at the wrong power out of the equation. Like I said I like vortex scopes, but weaver, bushnell, and a few others all make quality gear for around $800. That would leave you enough for rings, bases, a a couple boxes of ammo. If you plan to carry the rifle try to keep the power lower than benchrest rigs, you only need 1x per 100 yards to be accurate under hunting conditions. But with the power of modern variables and the potential to shoot out to 800 yards I would go with something around 12 to 14 on top. Will let you be more precise of the bench for target work and with the right reticule will let you range more accurately.

billybronco
04-12-12, 08:27
roger that.....all excellent points.

thanks gents.

fallenromeo
04-12-12, 10:58
My vote is also for the Vortex. Great scopes for the money. Probably the best or at least one of the best deals on quality glass on the market right now.

SeriousStudent
04-12-12, 22:02
Billybronco, while we're passing on tips, I'd recommend you wander over to Orkan's blog and do some reading, too. He's got an excellent set of articles on building your own dope book, plus a lot of other info. I did that, and it was very helpful.

Have fun with your new rifle!

billybronco
04-13-12, 23:04
yeah, bit the bullet and got the badger 20 from triad....spent some coin but hey, it's only money, right?

plus one of Steve's slick lil stock packs...rings and optic next. will check out the blog.