PDA

View Full Version : Beards save lives. Not training.

lethal dose
04-10-12, 13:04
Open for discussion. Although I wear a massive digger myself, I feel no less capable without one.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/04/pentagon-study-finds-beards-directly-proportional-to-combat-effectiveness/

Haha...

SHIVAN
04-10-12, 13:29
I'm sure the $1,000,000+ training per man helps a bit too.

You could find a correlation that the guys who drink Pepsi are badass killers, and combat effective 101% of the time, but it's not causation.

I would say the beard is a necessity in the AO for these guys, as it's a sign of manhood and pride in the culture in which they are immersed (Islam). If you don't want to be a bitch, you better have a beard.

I'm still trying to figure out why all the dudes going in to Starbucks and Abercrombie have beards though??

JohnnyC
04-10-12, 13:37
I don't know why a study was needed for this, I believe Chris Costa has been proving this for years. :dance3:

lethal dose
04-10-12, 13:47
I agree, shivan. I also believe I sensed a great deal of sarcasm in the article... Especially on the general's behalf.

Iraqgunz
04-10-12, 14:10
I started growing my beard instead of just the goatee after I got in country. I agree with the article. I am now a bad MOFO.

ST911
04-10-12, 14:34
Damn... That's what I've been doing wrong all this time.

SHIVAN
04-10-12, 14:40
I agree, shivan. I also believe I sensed a great deal of sarcasm in the article... Especially on the general's behalf.

Definitely agree, that went without saying -- I think. I saw no timestamp, but it reads like an April 1st "story".

Just wanted to temper it before I saw this thread cross posted on facebook. :D

Packman73
04-10-12, 14:41
Chicks dig my beard. Well, I know my wifes does...:cool:

a0cake
04-10-12, 14:44
"The soldiers lacking beards had a higher rate of weapons malfunctions and basically, shit went wrong most of the time.”

Hahaha. Funny website. How do the people leaving comments at the bottom of the various articles so consistently fail to understand that it's satire and not to be taken seriously? Guess they don't have beards.

The_War_Wagon
04-10-12, 14:59
Why do you think Cmdr. Riker headed up the Away Team, while the bald guy stayed safe on the bridge? :haha:

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-10-12, 15:09
Why do you think Cmdr. Riker headed up the Away Team, while the bald guy stayed safe on the bridge? :haha:

HAHA funny

I remember in Bagrahm in 03 the chow hall was right by the task force 121 gate. I was eating dinner in the chow hall on my way back from leave and I sat down accrossed from a guy with a grizzle adams beard and muscles from hell. I tried not to let him see my fear:cray:

sjc3081
04-10-12, 15:13
Is this article from the Onion?

LHS
04-10-12, 15:42
This is an Onion-style 'news' site. It's not meant to be taken for real. My beard does make me badass though.

lethal dose
04-10-12, 16:25
I agree. My beard is like a game genie.
I started growing my beard instead of just the goatee after I got in country. I agree with the article. I am now a bad MOFO.

Iraqgunz
04-10-12, 16:54
Chris Costa better check his six! My beard is going to sneak up on him. :jester:

I agree. My beard is like a game genie.

Eurodriver
04-10-12, 17:03
Lots of hooahs in this thread, no good Marine would ever have a beard ;)

However I've been trying to grow mine for almost a year now, but after going about a week to ten days without shaving I become overwhelmed with the itchy stickiness.

Is there a way to mitigate that? Do you just have to push through? I literally cant stand it.

lethal dose
04-10-12, 17:18
Hahaha. Man... These threads always end quickly. Anyhow... Push through it, man. I've been known to beard it to mid torso. It's itchy for the first two or three weeks but smooth sailing afterwards. If available, use conditioner. I use my wife's when home. :cool: Anyhow, get your comments and thoughts in, punks... I smell Santoro right around the corner! :D

lethal dose
04-10-12, 17:20
HAHA. Good stuff. My beard surpassed his when I was in the 9th grade. :secret:
Chris Costa better check his six! My beard is going to sneak up on him. :jester:

lethal dose
04-10-12, 17:23
Wow. I just made a comment about Chris Costa's beard. Can I have a voluntary 24 ban? :D

BACK on topic... My thoughts are: they're great in the appropriate theater but do nothing for your abilities as a fighting machine (duh). Just thought the read was entertaining. :dirol:

The_War_Wagon
04-10-12, 17:28
Is there a way to mitigate that? Do you just have to push through? I literally cant stand it.

Break on through, to the other side! Here I am with mine 20 years ago! :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/Local%20News%20gaffes/Z91.jpg

College radio station General Manager, FYI. That's a college yearbook photo - that issue of Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement is on the desk, to tick off the libtards. The SGA Attorney General had pictures of Nixon, Reagan, and Jesse Helms on HIS desk for his picture! :sarcastic:

You may find it hard to believe, but the beard acts like radiating coils, moving heat AWAY from your face in the summertime. I run cooler with it, than I do without it! :D

lethal dose
04-10-12, 17:41
Rev. You haven't changed a bit!

Moose-Knuckle
04-10-12, 18:49
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/tqraider24/chuck-norris-approved.gif

SteadyUp
04-10-12, 19:25

However I've been trying to grow mine for almost a year now, but after going about a week to ten days without shaving I become overwhelmed with the itchy stickiness.

You just have to push through, unfortunately. That's why I haven't grown a beard in a couple years. I can't stand the first few weeks.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-10-12, 19:58
So much for women in combat.

What is the effect of back hair?

Clint
04-10-12, 20:10
So much for women in combat.

Not so fast...
They're good to go too.

“It’s settled science. In light of this information we will enforce a rule requiring all males to wear at least one inch of facial hair at all times.*Furthermore, any females able to grow facial hair are encouraged to do so as well.”

shua713
04-10-12, 20:47
I can't believe its satire, I was gonna use this article to get the wife on board with me growing my beard. I guess its still worth a try.

dookie1481
04-10-12, 22:12

**** that, I would have killed to have had a beard!

CarlosDJackal
04-11-12, 15:15
I don't know. "Baby-faced" Audie Murphy might have something to say about that!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Audie_Murphy_uniform_medals.jpg

MistWolf
04-11-12, 15:26

That's because Kirk had hair and got all the girls- even the green ones

Moose-Knuckle
04-11-12, 19:41
Along with Chuck Norris, I think the Pionniers du 1er Régiment étranger would approve as well. . .

French Foreign Legion Sapeurs (Sappers) on Bastille Day. :cool:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/fflbeards.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/FFlbeards2.jpg

LHS
04-11-12, 21:33
Along with Chuck Norris, I think the Pionniers du 1er Régiment étranger would approve as well. . .

French Foreign Legion Sapeurs (Sappers) on Bastille Day. :cool:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/fflbeards.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/FFlbeards2.jpg

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...

RogerinTPA
04-12-12, 06:24
I'm sure the $1,000,000+ training per man helps a bit too.

You could find a correlation that the guys who drink Pepsi are badass killers, and combat effective 101% of the time, but it's not causation.

I would say the beard is a necessity in the AO for these guys, as it's a sign of manhood and pride in the culture in which they are immersed (Islam). If you don't want to be a bitch, you better have a beard.

I'm still trying to figure out why all the dudes going in to Starbucks and Abercrombie have beards though??

I bet they are civilian contractors on R&R, or used to be, who never left the FOB, trying to pose as steely eyed bad asses, when they are in fact construction workers or admin types. You should see the 20 something man children running around here with full blown beards trying to look hard.:bad: It absolutely hysterical!:jester:

chuckman
04-12-12, 08:59
You should see the 20 something man children running around here with full blown beards trying to look hard.:bad: It absolutely hysterical!:jester:

My nephew (in the Army now) had a full-on beard, always asking questions about "Delta this" and "Delta that." He looked like a 14 year-old...with a beard. I encouraged him that when he was in basic he should attempt to keep the beard and continue to ask questions on Delta.

JSantoro
04-12-12, 09:27
What is the effect of back hair?

In my experience, under armor.....prickly-heat/miliaria, mostly. The salt in one's sweat embeds and crystalizes in the sweat glands, causing inflammation and itching.

Corpsman response to the issue: "Keep it cool and dry."

It was July.

Aboard Camp LeJeune.

You son.
Of a bitch.
Comedian.

chuckman
04-12-12, 10:03
In my experience, under armor.....prickly-heat/miliaria, mostly. The salt in one's sweat embeds and crystalizes in the sweat glands, causing inflammation and itching.

Corpsman response to the issue: "Keep it cool and dry."

It was July.

Aboard Camp LeJeune.

You son.
Of a bitch.
Comedian.

I am not blessed with an Indian blanket on either my back or chest. In fact, aside from a few whispies, I am as I was as a new-born babe. Under gear and armor I would have to change undershirts multiple times a day because they would look and feel like a wet towel. Not sure which is worse. BTW I was one of those corpsmen. We had a deft touch in the art of sarcasm. :)

JSantoro
04-12-12, 10:51
Hard to stay mad at the guy, he produced some real gems. Corpse on the street in Tikrit, in at least 5 pieces. "Whaddaya think killed THAT guy?"

"*grunt* I'm guessing his heart stopped...." :sarcastic:

Please take my word for it, you are not missing out an ANYthing....

Prickly heat on the back, clothing layers/armor painfully pulling at the hair follicles at the center of the chest on the front, and this is not the WASP/Nordic stuff, this is Mediterranean boar-bristle thach that you could practically use to weave baskets. Gender-nonspecifics aside, manscaping would be prohibitively expensive.

Beards...no problem, except that I'd STILL have to groom incessantly, because my beard starts at my freakin' collarbones. You DO NOT want neckbeard......muy malo.

lethal dose
04-12-12, 11:33
You MAY want a neck beard if you are into dragonball z and silky button up dragon shirts.

munch520
04-12-12, 11:56
As I read the article I was laughing/thinking about this..

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2012/02/27/1226282/623552-the-dictator.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhAg0COnqds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYplvwBvGA4