PDA

View Full Version : What does CA approved mean?

Graystroke
04-10-12, 20:26
Without getting my head bit off I did search the archives and reading between the lines, CA approved just means it's on a list that's approved for sale in the state of California? :confused:

shua713
04-10-12, 20:29
I believe they can only be shipped with 10rd mags, and for the ar it has a bullet button for the mag release, so you have to use a bullet or some kind of tool to drop the mag.

feedramp
04-10-12, 20:40
Communist Approved.
;)

kmrtnsn
04-10-12, 20:46
All of your answers here,

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

DirectDrive
04-10-12, 20:56
I believe CA retained the Federal AWB and added some of their own enhancements.
There is a list of non-compliant features and make/models of weapons somewhere in the Googleverse.

kmrtnsn
04-10-12, 22:11
I believe CA retained the Federal AWB and added some of their own enhancements.
There is a list of non-compliant features and make/models of weapons somewhere in the Googleverse.

Not quite, CA had its own, unique ban from the Fed ban and the info you reference in your second sentence is in the link posted above.

ChocLab
04-10-12, 22:35

KrampusArms
04-10-12, 23:01
It means progressive hippy approved. I live in california. I feel the bullet button is LESS safe. Not only does it make your weapon harder to unload, it has caused my rifle to FTF. Theres this little "castle nut" that you thread over the mag release... It had worked its way loose while firing, and my magazine became partially unseated.

It really sucks, reading these forums, and wishing I could use 30 round STANDARD capacity mags. I really, really want to buy some 30 round PMAGS, but I refuse to bastardize them by pinning them for 10. All the guys at the range I go to have "30" round PMAGS, and it just causes trouble, as the range officer has to ask if they're pinned for 10 constantly.

I'm moving.

If any of you for any reason, plan or would like to move here..... Stay away. Stay faaaaaar away. The assinine gun laws are only the tip of this diseased iceberg.

feedramp
04-10-12, 23:09
Yeah no kidding. What are you supposed to do, get rid of your most effective tools in order to live there? Hell no.

TangoSauce
04-10-12, 23:31
It means progressive hippy approved. I live in california. I feel the bullet button is LESS safe. Not only does it make your weapon harder to unload, it has caused my rifle to FTF. Theres this little "castle nut" that you thread over the mag release... It had worked its way loose while firing, and my magazine became partially unseated.

It really sucks, reading these forums, and wishing I could use 30 round STANDARD capacity mags. I really, really want to buy some 30 round PMAGS, but I refuse to bastardize them by pinning them for 10. All the guys at the range I go to have "30" round PMAGS, and it just causes trouble, as the range officer has to ask if they're pinned for 10 constantly.

I'm moving.

If any of you for any reason, plan or would like to move here..... Stay away. Stay faaaaaar away. The assinine gun laws are only the tip of this diseased iceberg.

Wow, where do you shoot where they ask you if they're pinned? There's no legal requirement for them to be pinned either so long as they are 'permanently' modified. The legal term is less than defined.

But yeah, as soon as my time is up here in SD, I'm outta here as well lolz.

KrampusArms
04-10-12, 23:32
Yeah no kidding. What are you supposed to do, get rid of your most effective tools in order to live there? Hell no.

Essentially yes. You can have your AR15 & Glocks here, but you just have to neuter them. Anything beyond 10 round capacity is a big no no, unless you have preban mags.

I once brought in my lower to the gunshop I bought it from, to have them install a sling endplate. (Didn't feel like buying the wrench) I had just the lower, and I popped out the magazine before I left. As soon as the gunsmith there saw I didn't have my magazine in the lower, he about damn near tore my head off. He told me that without a magazine fixed in place my lower could readily accept a 30 round at any time making it a felony. He reached under the counter & placed a 10 rounder in it before doing the work. After my part was installed he removed the mag & told me never to walk in the store without a mag fixed in place. He was very stern.

This is the type of irrational crap we have to go through. It really is insane and illogical.

TangoSauce
04-10-12, 23:34
Damn KrampusArms, if you're in SD I have a new range and smith for you...

SMETNA
04-10-12, 23:42
CA =

Communist Authoritarian

Thus, a CA approved rifle means that said rifle has been sufficiently ruined and neutered to the point that it is no longer a fighting weapon.

The CA's wanted and pushed for this so that their goon squads will meet negligible resistance from the free and armed portion of the populace once they begin their "great purge" or "great cleansing"

I hope this helps :D

KrampusArms
04-10-12, 23:55
Damn KrampusArms, if you're in SD I have a new range and smith for you...

About the range, I'd rather not say which one. I don't blame the range officer or smith whatsoever. They're just trying to cover their asses. That's the type of paranoia you have to have to stay out of trouble. At least where I'm located it seems. I feel lucky to at least own an AR pattern rifle. And fortunately it's not like they're permanently modified. As soon as were in a free state, we can change it.

KrampusArms
04-10-12, 23:58
CA =

Communist Authoritarian

Thus, a CA approved rifle means that said rifle has been sufficiently ruined and neutered to the point that it is no longer a fighting weapon.

The CA's wanted and pushed for this so that their goon squads will meet negligible resistance from the free and armed portion of the populace once they begin their "great purge" or "great cleansing"

I hope this helps :D

So true. Properly conveyed sir.

Inuvik
04-10-12, 23:59
I think everyone has already included the main points, but to clarify, there are 2 different issues in this discussion:

The first being the Safe Handgun List, which is a list of approved (legal for sale) handguns as maintained by Cal DOJ. There are various criteria and fees involved in order to get on, and stay on the list. Handguns do fall under the pre-ban/post ban 10 round magazine limit.

Secondly, there is the assault weapon ban which factors into the AR debate. Instead of an "approved list" as is the case with handguns, there is a list of banned "assault weapons" (by brand and model number) plus a set of features which render a non-list rifle either legal or non-legal (assault weapon). In the case of rifles, the pre-ban magazine rule does not apply. Centerfire rifle + hi (normal) capacity magazine= assault weapon no matter when the magazine was made or entered the state.

Hope that all helps.

DOA
04-11-12, 01:14

I'm moving.

Hammerhead grip. Works great. Function over fashion and allows you to have standard mags.

KrampusArms
04-11-12, 02:07
Hammerhead grip. Works great. Function over fashion and allows you to have standard mags.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we would still be restricted to 10 rounders even with that hideous abomination. Now, I have never held the hammerhead, but it is so butt ugly that I chose the BS button. Love the A2 grip too much.

I also understand, again correct me if I'm wrong, that to utilize the hammerhead and have a normal mag release, you would have to go "featureless". No flash hider, bayo lug, or collapsing stock.

I'm not positive however, but thats what I recollect.

rojocorsa
04-11-12, 03:48
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we would still be restricted to 10 rounders even with that hideous abomination. Now, I have never held the hammerhead, but it is so butt ugly that I chose the BS button. Love the A2 grip too much.

I also understand, again correct me if I'm wrong, that to utilize the hammerhead and have a normal mag release, you would have to go "featureless". No flash hider, bayo lug, or collapsing stock.

I'm not positive however, but thats what I recollect.

Yes.

Also, you can use standard mags on featureless rifles only if you owned those magazines prior to the ban.

See Calguns.net for all guides, charts, and discussion.

warpigM-4
04-11-12, 10:10
I wish I could find it But I read a story somewhere about Jesse James (the Bike Builder) Cutting on CA for the Gun Laws Now He Lives in Texas He owns several Weapons Including a tricked out BAR that the sons of guns did

He talks about the Joy and relaxing times he has being able to own Firearms Now to Protect His family .

He also said he was Glad to move from a State that banned everything and said he would not go back .

usmcvet
04-11-12, 14:02
It means neutered. :(

drrufo
04-11-12, 14:13
It means neutered. :(

How is it neutered? I have three Stag lowers and the only difference between them and my registered assault weapon is the bullet button. I look at the bullet button as a way to tel the DOJ to STFU, they tried to used a long fingernail to actuate the BB, couldn't do it.
Yes there is a limit of ten rounds for the mags, but how is that different than the limits else where?
If the current lawsuit against the AWB is successful then it wil change the dynamics in the state. When the AWB in Cal was put in place the state said that would decrease the amount of "assault weapons" in Cal, well since then there are so many off list lowers being sold is just nuts. You go to a good gun show and every body and his brother are selling complete rifles and uppers.
Most of the limits were put in place during the 90's, now people are tired of being told how guns are evil, it is like the war on drugs, the government says something is bad and Joe Blow looks at his bong or AR 15 and sees how that is a lie..

usmcvet
04-15-12, 10:21
How is it neutered? I have three Stag lowers and the only difference between them and my registered assault weapon is the bullet button. I look at the bullet button as a way to tel the DOJ to STFU, they tried to used a long fingernail to actuate the BB, couldn't do it.
Yes there is a limit of ten rounds for the mags, but how is that different than the limits else where?
If the current lawsuit against the AWB is successful then it wil change the dynamics in the state. When the AWB in Cal was put in place the state said that would decrease the amount of "assault weapons" in Cal, well since then there are so many off list lowers being sold is just nuts. You go to a good gun show and every body and his brother are selling complete rifles and uppers.
Most of the limits were put in place during the 90's, now people are tired of being told how guns are evil, it is like the war on drugs, the government says something is bad and Joe Blow looks at his bong or AR 15 and sees how that is a lie..

Pretty sure you answered your own question.

Bullet button is the biggest.

I don't think you can have a collapsible stock, flash hider or a newly made +30 round magazine.

Inuvik
04-15-12, 10:36
The bullet button allows you to have the collapsible stock, flash hider, pistol grip, etc. The key to the whole issue is if the mag is "removable". The age of the magazine does not matter in California.

tbirk
04-15-12, 13:08
The above thread is the reason that I left Kalifornia in 1995. After the second amnesty for registering "Assault Weapons", it was simply time to go to a place which allowed me the rights guaranteed in the Constitution!

drrufo
04-15-12, 14:27
I just finished my fifth off list lower build. All of them were Stag and all have the bullet button, they all have a ten round magazine in the well when the bulid is done so no one can claim they are illegal with a large capacity magazine in them.
If I move out of California when I retire, I can take the bullet button off and the rifle is no different than any one in any "free" state". Not one ounce of difference. How are they neutered? When I cross the Colorado into Arizona today the button comes off and if I come back it goes on.

There may be other reasons to bitch about the gun laws in California and we all do, believe me, but the button requirement is really a non issue.

tbirk
04-15-12, 14:50
To Drrufo:

Gun laws were only part of the issues that I had with Kalifornia. The political climate sucks on all fronts! I refused to be "represented" by Waters, Waxman, Boxer, Feinstein, et all. And now I just shake my head at the election of Governor "Moonbeam", what are people thinking?

I spent 28 years in the state and that was all I could stand!

usmcvet
04-15-12, 14:53
The bullet button allows you to have the collapsible stock, flash hider, pistol grip, etc. The key to the whole issue is if the mag is "removable". The age of the magazine does not matter in California.

I didn't know that. That's better than I thought.

drrufo
04-16-12, 00:04
tbrik, I agree with you about the so called government. The incompetence and lying is pervasive in every city as well as the state government. Its just my career and family is tied to Calif. and I'm not sure i would move when I retire.

jtmontana
07-02-12, 20:52
California Approved because california has different laws.