PDA

View Full Version : How long does the average suppressor last?

2theXtreme
04-10-12, 23:42
I searched and could not really find anything. How many rounds do suppressors last for? I am looking to purchase my first can(feel free to comment on this as well) and I am wondering how long I should expect it to last. I am planning on the KAC DQSS NT4. Also, I am wondering if they require any routine maintenance?

If a thread exists with this info please shoot me in the right direction. Thank you all for any help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
04-11-12, 00:44
I searched and could not really find anything. How many rounds do suppressors last for? I am looking to purchase my first can(feel free to comment on this as well) and I am wondering how long I should expect it to last. I am planning on the KAC DQSS NT4. Also, I am wondering if they require any routine maintenance?

If a thread exists with this info please shoot me in the right direction. Thank you all for any help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends. It's kinda like barrels and lots of things come into play. Given the same round counts "full auto" usually retires things faster than semi auto fire.

I don't have the specific answer you are looking for, I suspect "but don't know for sure" that given the current designs of modern suppressors (wipeless and made of strong materials) that it may last as long as the mounting system remains viable. I'm not sure if a baffle will actually wear out or not.

Most suppressor maintenance is immersion in solvents, but each one will have a manual.

K Town
04-11-12, 01:26
I'm not sure if a baffle will actually wear out or not.

Not to mention that today's mounts are often full-on muzzle brake/comps and act as sacrifice baffles making the can last even longer.

2theXtreme
04-11-12, 10:36
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll have to just call up knights and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Apricotshot
04-11-12, 11:29
30,000 rounds mean failure time or more depending on use. I think those are the standards. OPS Inc claims those numbers anyway.

SteyrAUG
04-11-12, 12:50
30,000 rounds mean failure time or more depending on use. I think those are the standards. OPS Inc claims those numbers anyway.

Keep in mind that there are a LOT of original Maxim suppressors that still work after 100 years. At the same time there are some dead Scionics cans. Even wipe and mesh cans can be brought back to life, it's hard to wear out a metal tube and caps.

2theXtreme
04-11-12, 13:46
Sounds like I don't have to worry about it burning out before the parts on my weapon. Thank you guys very much!

english kanigit
04-15-12, 13:22
I believe that, starting with a suppressor of quality, if you can afford to shoot it until it falls apart or needs a rebuild then replacing/refurbishing it is not going to be a very large concern.

Like Nike, 'Just Do It'.

Ek

2theXtreme
04-23-12, 21:16
FWIW I just read in KAC's blog that their NT4 was the only suppressor to meet and/or exceed the military's 15,000 round standard. Also, it is (or was at least at the time of the post) the most supplied suppressor to the military. Good to know since I have one on the way. :D

JasonM
04-24-12, 09:23
FWIW I just read in KAC's blog that their NT4 was the only suppressor to meet and/or exceed the military's 15,000 round standard. Also, it is (or was at least at the time of the post) the most supplied suppressor to the military. Good to know since I have one on the way. :D

3 things-

1. I doubt that's the case anymore, since most of the MIL has also been buying Surefire and AAC cans over the past couple years.

2. Yes, it (combined with its predecessor the M4-QD) probably had the volume record to date.

3. The only downsides to the NT-4 are its weight and it's somewhat antiquated mount, but it is definitely still in the top few for 5.56 rifle cans. In terms of construction and materials, it is right up there, I'm sure it will serve you well.

2theXtreme
04-24-12, 12:17
That blog post was made at the end of June last year I don't know how fast the military adopts things but there couldn't have been that much of a change in less than a year.

I've heard about the weight issue regarding the NT4 and I think that is a fair trade off for the robust build quality you get.

I will definitely be jumping on one of those new cans and MAMs brakes when they are released to us regular people.

This is never ending.

JasonM
04-24-12, 15:20
This is never ending.

that is true

JasonM
04-24-12, 16:07
That blog post was made at the end of June last year I don't know how fast the military adopts things but there couldn't have been that much of a change in less than a year.

I've heard about the weight issue regarding the NT4 and I think that is a fair trade off for the robust build quality you get.

I will definitely be jumping on one of those new cans and MAMs brakes when they are released to us regular people.

This is never ending.

If you care, and simply for more info, the MIL has recently (last two years) become much more interested in pursuing suppressors in non-sniper roles.

One big example of this was last year's FMBS (family of muzzle brakes and suppressors) request/contract from NSWC Crane. It first came up in 2002, but didn't actually happen until April of last year.

They were looking for an industry solution to "provide accessory parts and assemblies for performance improvements for a family of Muzzle Brakes and Suppressors (FMBS) for small arms in 5.56mm and 7.62mm to meet the operational requirements of USSOCOM Special Operations combatants."

"The SOPMOD Program is not seeking alternate sources for the current SOPMOD Quick Detach Sound Suppressor (QDSS)... rather is interested in pursuing COTS/NDI extended life, expanded application, high-endurance suppressors that show demonstrable improvements over the standard QDSS."

NSWC was looking for a new can that "improvements in materials, manufacturing process, high endurance coatings, and other unknown technologies that yield extended performance suppressor life to a threshold of 15,000 rounds with an objective of 30,000 rounds under various f iring schedules."

They went on to list the baseline of their current can as "length-6.6inches, weight-24 ounces, diameter-1.5 inches, sound reduction-28dB, up to a 2.5 MOA zero shift when fitted to gun, with minor or no loss in instrumental accuracy, endurance to failure under harsh firing schedules approximately 10,000 rounds, and approximately 500 rounds under continuous belt-fed full automatic fire."

At the end of the testing, Surefire won the carbine portion, and AAC won the LMG portion.

original sources sought: https://www.fbo.gov/index?print_preview=1&s=opportunity&mode=form&id=59f529c22d1033d52639e08dd6dd4314&tab=core&tabmode=list

2011 update: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=12bfbd5fada38e6b62beb047286a5997&tab=core&tabmode=list

a0cake
04-24-12, 22:07
A few years ago, every single M4 in my unit got a QDSS-NT4. All the machine guns also got Surefire FA556 and FA762 suppressors. Those are still the products being used. KAC for M4's and Surefire for the MG's. No idea what's going on .MIL wide as far as which suppressors are being acquired, but this is the current state of affairs in my former enclave at least.

2theXtreme
04-24-12, 22:47
If you care, and simply for more info, the MIL has recently (last two years) become much more interested in pursuing suppressors in non-sniper roles.

One big example of this was last year's FMBS (family of muzzle brakes and suppressors) request/contract from NSWC Crane. It first came up in 2002, but didn't actually happen until April of last year.

They were looking for an industry solution to "provide accessory parts and assemblies for performance improvements for a family of Muzzle Brakes and Suppressors (FMBS) for small arms in 5.56mm and 7.62mm to meet the operational requirements of USSOCOM Special Operations combatants."

"The SOPMOD Program is not seeking alternate sources for the current SOPMOD Quick Detach Sound Suppressor (QDSS)... rather is interested in pursuing COTS/NDI extended life, expanded application, high-endurance suppressors that show demonstrable improvements over the standard QDSS."

NSWC was looking for a new can that "improvements in materials, manufacturing process, high endurance coatings, and other unknown technologies that yield extended performance suppressor life to a threshold of 15,000 rounds with an objective of 30,000 rounds under various f iring schedules."

They went on to list the baseline of their current can as "length-6.6inches, weight-24 ounces, diameter-1.5 inches, sound reduction-28dB, up to a 2.5 MOA zero shift when fitted to gun, with minor or no loss in instrumental accuracy, endurance to failure under harsh firing schedules approximately 10,000 rounds, and approximately 500 rounds under continuous belt-fed full automatic fire."

At the end of the testing, Surefire won the carbine portion, and AAC won the LMG portion.

original sources sought: https://www.fbo.gov/index?print_preview=1&s=opportunity&mode=form&id=59f529c22d1033d52639e08dd6dd4314&tab=core&tabmode=list

2011 update: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=12bfbd5fada38e6b62beb047286a5997&tab=core&tabmode=list

Interesting and informative. Thanks for the post brother!

2theXtreme
04-24-12, 22:51
A few years ago, every single M4 in my unit got a QDSS-NT4. All the machine guns also got Surefire FA556 and FA762 suppressors. Those are still the products being used. KAC for M4's and Surefire for the MG's. No idea what's going on .MIL wide as far as which suppressors are being acquired, but this is the current state of affairs in my former enclave at least.

Good to know. I'm sure KAC's new can will be a hit both in the military and civilian market. Thanks for the post but more importantly I sincerely Thank You for serving this wonderful country I call home. I don't thank you guys enough and just wanted to take the opportunity.

Pappabear
04-28-12, 22:15
Good to know. I'm sure KAC's new can will be a hit both in the military and civilian market. Thanks for the post but more importantly I sincerely Thank You for serving this wonderful country I call home. I don't thank you guys enough and just wanted to take the opportunity.

Right on. It's cool hear the boys are getting more and more cans. This will also push the durability issue, because them boys get a happy switch. I figure with me shooting once a week and NOT doing senseless mag dumps, my cans will last long enough that my kids won't mind paying to get them refurbished. The more I shoot with cans, the more I want cans. I shoot in the desert where I can enjoy them though. If I had to go to a range, - if your Aunt had balls she would be your Uncle:D. - it wouldn't be nearly as addictive. I am seriously eyeballing the 300WM rated can from AAC, for my 300.