PDA

View Full Version : Sights for G17

ridgerunner70
04-11-12, 09:00
Wanting to change my stock sights and before I decide with what kind, how can you tell if you can change the front sight post or if it's a fixed front sight post?

rsxr22
04-11-12, 09:04
Glock are screw in from the inside, top of the slide. You will need a front sight tool to remove it. I use Warren or 10-8 rear's with Dawson Fiber fronts. Their fronts come with a front sight tool

SWATcop556
04-11-12, 09:21
All Glocks have a removable front sight.

t15
04-11-12, 09:51
loctite and needle nose pliers for the front. hammer and punch for the back.

ridgerunner70
04-11-12, 09:52
How do you know what height sights to get?

t15
04-11-12, 10:04
Buy a complete set that states compatability with your model?

snakedoctor
04-11-12, 10:07
You can remove the front sight with a punch and hammer.

Boxerglocker
04-11-12, 10:10
You can remove the front sight with a punch and hammer.

If the older style, the newer ones now have screws.

ridgerunner70
04-11-12, 10:13
It's a gen 3 , I believe made in the 90's

ridgerunner70
04-11-12, 10:19
What's some really good combat style sights to look at? I'm interested in fast target accusition, HD. Looking at spending around $100

t15
04-11-12, 10:23
all you have to do is look at it. if i can figure this out, then surely, ANYONE CAN!

GO BUY SOME SIGHTS BRO, GET IT DONE!

http://www.meprolight.com/ (http://www.meprolight.com/default.asp?catid={9AAC508C-5FF4-4435-922E-4118942F388E}&details_type=1&itemid={BC225FD7-2868-4C51-817C-0BA2F7A03ECA})

my favs^ :D

OldGreg
04-11-12, 11:39
I'm very impressed with Ameriglo sights. I have the Defoor's (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/defoortactical.jpg) and the Pro Operators (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/pro-operator). I like the fact that they offers a green front w/ yellow rears that do not have a white outline.

I just got a police trade-in G21 and will be trying out some regular Operators (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/operator).

~Greg

rackham1
04-11-12, 11:55
I tried my first set of Warren Tacticals on a G17 earlier this year. Love 'em. About to buy another set for a G19.

iomatic
04-11-12, 12:34
Warren's are great, but I've been digging XS (small) more on my M1911.

markdh720
04-11-12, 13:23
I have Ameriglo Pro Operators on both of my Glocks. For me, target acquisition is amazing. Glock factory sights are garbage. They ran me $95 each gun.

FChen17213
04-11-12, 14:54
There are many many good choices out there. Heinies, XS, Warrens, 10-8s, Redback One, Ameriglo, DeFoors, etc. I think it's all personal preference. Some of the sights are night sights while others aren't. Some are more precise than others. I think you'd have to see what works for yourself.

One thing that is kind of a pain is that after you get the sights put in, you have to shoot at 25 yds to confirm. Sometimes, the gun will shoot high. When using .215 height in the front, some Glock 19s shoot a bit high. If this happens, then you'll have to send the front sight back and get another front sight that is taller. I guess an alternative is to get a taller one to begin with and shave it down slowly until it shoots POI/POA.

Whtwolf14
04-11-12, 15:02
I bounce back and forth between Warren's, and XS.

willowofwisp
04-11-12, 15:35
I am a fan of defoor or redback ones on my 17.

Guinnessman
04-11-12, 17:12
I have Ameriglo I-Dots and Warren/Sevigny Carry sights. The Sevigny Carry sights are my favorite of the two.

ridgerunner70
04-11-12, 19:26
redback ones are sold out:( Has anyone used the defoor plan black for $48

willowofwisp
04-11-12, 19:30

I am rocking the defoor's right now, great sight for the money, has a lower set sight with a clear square notch and it has a light ramp on it to prevent glare.

OldGreg
04-11-12, 19:40

I'm very impressed with Ameriglo sights. I have the Defoor's (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/defoortactical.jpg) ...

I have.

Failure2Stop
04-11-12, 19:45
Best Glock sights I have used so far:
Ameriglo CAP Front sight.
Ameriglo Pro Operator Rear.

I have owned a few different sights, and have used quite a few, and they are my current favorites.

If you want to know more, let me know, as I am short on time right now and don't really get all that excited about writing for 20 minutes if nobody cares.

samuse
04-11-12, 20:25

Yes! Get the DeFoors! My favorite sights by far.

I've used them in a couple of low/no light shoots and they're fine with a light.

I also use 'em in competition and love 'em.

ridgerunner70
04-11-12, 20:54

I have owned a few different sights, and have used quite a few, and they are my current favorites.

If you want to know more, let me know, as I am short on time right now and don't really get all that excited about writing for 20 minutes if nobody cares.

Please do; I know I care and always enjoy reading your posts. Very informative.

Blayglock
04-12-12, 00:19
I run 10-8s on mine:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/10-8sights.jpg

Edit: don't know why it's turned sideways. Will fix later.

ck1
04-12-12, 01:19
I like and recommend the Ameriglo Defoor sights also. IMHO they equal the excellent Warren Tactical Sevigny competition sights (which I also am very familiar with and fond of) as they are exactly the same ratios (rear notch and front width). The Defoor's are just a lower-to-the-slide set-up compared to the Sevigny's which sit taller off the gun. Also, the Defoor's can be had for around $30 a set these days which doesn't hurt.
FWIW, I find I prefer the taller set of the two spec'd for the .45/10mm's (.272" tall rear) as this puts POA/POI exactly at the tip of the front blade out to 15yrds or so, and more of a "lollipop" at 25yrds where they print a couple inches above the top of the front blade (as is the case with the Sevigny's with the standard .215" front blade also).

That said, they're plain all-black irons which aren't for everybody. There are "tricker" set-ups out there like the Ameriglo Hack sets or CAP sets that do indeed really grab one's visual attention (at the expense of some precision). I was once a big fan of those types, and some really good shooters do still prefer them (mostly do to them delivering quick acquisition)... But, that said, IMO once one goes to all-black irons (and FYI, adapting to them means a longer learning curve), there's no going back, it's just such a crisp and uncomplicated sight picture that all the others start to seem gimmicky in comparison. I find my times running most drills and standards are virtually identical whether it's irons or the more quick acquisition type of sights, but with irons I can zap a little square paster out to nearly 15yrds or so almost on command, with the "busier" sights that just ain't happening.

Everyone (and everyone's eyes) are different, so try checking out as many as you can before you buy.

Good luck.

outrider627
04-12-12, 01:48

That's actually the combo I was thinking of eventually getting. I'd like to know more of your experience with them, whenever you have time write out a detailed post. I do have a couple questions:

-Which colors are you using? I was thinking of the green/orange front, with the yellow rear.
-Would you say this combo is good for someone with bad eyesight? My dad was thinking of getting night sights for his G17, but his shooting eye isn't doing too great.

lebowski
04-12-12, 18:17
Big fan of the redback one here.

My second favorite is the ameriglo pro operator.

ReaperAZ
04-12-12, 19:03
For me at least the factory sights on a Glock are the very first thing to go. I ran Meprolites's on my 23 for many years and I guess they were ok. I just had a set of Warrens put on my 19 with the rear being plain and the front is red fiber optic. So far I really like them. Nice and fast acquisition. I really like the height of them compared to the Glock sights as I am used to a 1911 and the extra height of the Warren sights really makes a difference to me. I have a feeling I am going to be trying a few other sets just to check them out and see if I like them as well.

Sorry it's kind of fuzzy. Couldn't get my phone to focus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/ReaperAZ/Guns/_utf-8_B_SU1BRzA0MTAuanBn_-1.jpg

Failure2Stop
04-12-12, 20:13
AmeriGlo CAP:

I am using the orange front with green insert.
The orange stands out really well against every background and has a very thin black outline for precision work.
The front sight is very obvious, even when target focused.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/2012-04-08_19-22-04_386.jpg
The front sight appears darker and more red than it is.

It is easily centered, and contrary to my previous perception, the low sight height is not a bad thing at all. The front sight still presents a crisp edge for precision work (mine shoot to tip of blade at 25 yards with 115gr ammo, still need to check my HST). I really like that, as covering the target at that distance can be a little iffy for me.
The ProOperator rear has subdued tritium, so it pretty much looks like a black rear until lighting conditions bring the tritium out. I was a firm "figure 8" guy for a while, but having 2-dot rears does make vertical centering much easier and repeatable.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/2012-04-08_19-19-31_125.jpg

My rears are yellow, but I wouldn't mind if they were green, as the front sight's green insert is noticably more pronounced.
The rear has a nice ledge for one-handed slide retraction but isn't overly sharp or catchy.
I tried quite a few different sights and asked quite a few different guys about what they were using, and the CAP/ProOperator fill all of my needs better than any others so far. There are guys that I have a lot of respect for that prefer plain black sights, but I have had issues with certain lighting conditions and target colors that make that arraingement harder for me to work with than having a bright front sight or tritium (depending on condition). I was painting my front sights orange (tip I picked up from other action pistol shooters), and I noticed that doing so greatly increased my front sight pick-up and awareness.

I was using Warren Tacticals on my pistols, and my G19 still wears them, but if the CAP/ProOp stand up over the next few months they will probably be replaced.

I can't say that the CAP/ProOp is the optimal setup for everyone, but it works for me.

SeriousStudent
04-12-12, 21:58
Thank you for the write up, F2S. I recently snagged a police trade-in Gen2 G19 from AIM Surplus. I've tried the Ameriglo Hackathorns on another Glock, and really like the painted\tritium front sight. When your eyeballs are well past 50, they need all the help they can get.

I'm going to snag a set like yours, and try them out.

Thanks for your time on the writeup.

ridgerunner70
04-12-12, 22:25
AmeriGlo CAP:

The orange stands out really well against every background and has a very thin black outline for precision work.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/2012-04-08_19-22-04_386.jpg

It is easily centered, and contrary to my previous perception, the low sight height is not a bad thing at all. The front sight still presents a crisp edge for precision work (mine shoot to tip of blade at 25 yards with 115gr ammo, still need to check my HST). I really like that, as covering the target at that distance can be a little iffy for me.
The ProOperator rear has subdued tritium, so it pretty much looks like a black rear until lighting conditions bring the tritium out. I was a firm "figure 8" guy for a while, but having 2-dot rears does make vertical centering much easier and repeatable.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm174/Fail2Stop/2012-04-08_19-19-31_125.jpg

My rears are yellow, but I wouldn't mind if they were green, as the front sight's green insert is noticably more pronounced.
The rear has a nice ledge for one-handed slide retraction but isn't overly sharp or catchy.
I tried quite a few different sights and asked quite a few different guys about what they were using, and the CAP/ProOperator fill all of my needs better than any others so far. There are guys that I have a lot of respect for that prefer plain black sights, but I have had issues with certain lighting conditions and target colors that make that arraingement harder for me to work with than having a bright front sight or tritium (depending on condition). I was painting my front sights orange (tip I picked up from other action pistol shooters), and I noticed that doing so greatly increased my front sight pick-up and awareness.

I was using Warren Tacticals on my pistols, and my G19 still wears them, but if the CAP/ProOp stand up over the next few months they will probably be replaced.

I can't say that the CAP/ProOp is the optimal setup for everyone, but it works for me.

Thank you for your write up and pics sir

ridgerunner70
04-12-12, 22:26
I like and recommend the Ameriglo Defoor sights also. IMHO they equal the excellent Warren Tactical Sevigny competition sights (which I also am very familiar with and fond of) as they are exactly the same ratios (rear notch and front width). The Defoor's are just a lower-to-the-slide set-up compared to the Sevigny's which sit taller off the gun. Also, the Defoor's can be had for around $30 a set these days which doesn't hurt.
FWIW, I find I prefer the taller set of the two spec'd for the .45/10mm's (.272" tall rear) as this puts POA/POI exactly at the tip of the front blade out to 15yrds or so, and more of a "lollipop" at 25yrds where they print a couple inches above the top of the front blade (as is the case with the Sevigny's with the standard .215" front blade also).

That said, they're plain all-black irons which aren't for everybody. There are "tricker" set-ups out there like the Ameriglo Hack sets or CAP sets that do indeed really grab one's visual attention (at the expense of some precision). I was once a big fan of those types, and some really good shooters do still prefer them (mostly do to them delivering quick acquisition)... But, that said, IMO once one goes to all-black irons (and FYI, adapting to them means a longer learning curve), there's no going back, it's just such a crisp and uncomplicated sight picture that all the others start to seem gimmicky in comparison. I find my times running most drills and standards are virtually identical whether it's irons or the more quick acquisition type of sights, but with irons I can zap a little square paster out to nearly 15yrds or so almost on command, with the "busier" sights that just ain't happening.

Everyone (and everyone's eyes) are different, so try checking out as many as you can before you buy.

Good luck.

Thank you sir

Pappabear
04-13-12, 01:53
Ameriglow I-Dot, yup

B52U
04-13-12, 09:39
AmeriGlo CAP:

What are your thoughts on the wider rear notch of the pro operators relative to their regular offerings? How does the wider notch behave in regards to precision work or on shorter compact slides like a G19?

JonnyVain
04-13-12, 21:46
FYI, Redback sights aren't sold out, they haven't even come in yet. Check out the thread on them.

I don't use night sights, but I use a wide, extended black Ameriglo rear sight and a .115 red "bar" front, which Ameriglo doesn't sell anymore. It's not the most accurate setup, but it's very easy to track the bright red front on a black rear during rapid fire. Wide rear means the front sight won't get hidden behind it as easily. I find the main reason it's not so accurate is because the red bar is oblong, which means I don't get a crisp sight picture. But it's "combat accurate."

If I find a paint as bright as my current front sight post, I'll replace with the plain black sight and paint it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/6863335384_95b20421f5_z.jpg

willowofwisp
04-13-12, 22:08
FYI, Redback sights aren't sold out, they haven't even come in yet. Check out the thread on them.

I don't use night sights, but I use a wide, extended black Ameriglo rear sight and a .115 red "bar" front, which Ameriglo doesn't sell anymore. It's not the most accurate setup, but it's very easy to track the bright red front on a black rear during rapid fire. Wide rear means the front sight won't get hidden behind it as easily. I find the main reason it's not so accurate is because the red bar is oblong, which means I don't get a crisp sight picture. But it's "combat accurate."

If I find a paint as bright as my current front sight post, I'll replace with the plain black sight and paint it.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7265/6863335384_95b20421f5_z.jpg

Johnny,

your wrong their was an initial run of rb-1 sights earlier this year, around the end of January or so and they were sold out by the first week in March.

-Dave

YVK
04-13-12, 23:27
AmeriGlo CAP:

I am using the orange front with green insert...

F2S, have you tried a green/green version of the CAP sights to compare with an orange one?

Ga Shooter
04-14-12, 19:21
Piggybacking on this thread; I called Ameriglo yesterday as I currently use the Hackathorn sights to see what the difference between the front sight of the CAP sights and the Hackathorns. Sally (I think that was her name) told me that they are the exact same except the orange paint on the Hack's are round and square on the Cap's. So my questions for those who have used both are:

1. Do you think the shape of the orange paint makes any difference while shooting

2. Do you think the Pro Operators because of the two dots lining up with the front dot makes a difference.

My questions relate to accuracy at speed. I love the Hacks but I still seem to have accuracy problems at longer ranges. I am sure that some of it is me and someone will be helping me with that next weekend, but I also, because of eyesight, have a little problem getting a good crisp focus on the top edge of the front sight.

JonnyVain
04-14-12, 20:34
Johnny,

your wrong their was an initial run of rb-1 sights earlier this year, around the end of January or so and they were sold out by the first week in March.

-Dave

Oh. I thought I read they weren't sold out, just no made yet. The post was probably one I read from last year.

JonnyVain
04-14-12, 20:37
Piggybacking on this thread; I called Ameriglo yesterday as I currently use the Hackathorn sights to see what the difference between the front sight of the CAP sights and the Hackathorns. Sally (I think that was her name) told me that they are the exact same except the orange paint on the Hack's are round and square on the Cap's. So my questions for those who have used both are:

1. Do you think the shape of the orange paint makes any difference while shooting

2. Do you think the Pro Operators because of the two dots lining up with the front dot makes a difference.

My questions relate to accuracy at speed. I love the Hacks but I still seem to have accuracy problems at longer ranges. I am sure that some of it is me and someone will be helping me with that next weekend, but I also, because of eyesight, have a little problem getting a good crisp focus on the top edge of the front sight.

If I were getting dots in the rear sight, I would get the round front. If I went with plain black rear, I would get the square front. For consistancy's sake, I would like to either line up dots, or line up top of the site. Then at night you just point with front dot and don't worry about the rear.

ETA: I feel like there's a dirty joke somewhere in my response...

Failure2Stop
04-14-12, 21:28
F2S, have you tried a green/green version of the CAP sights to compare with an orange one?

I have not. A bright orange front sight is pretty well preferred amongst high level shooters (certainly not universal though), so I went with the data I had available and went that path with my choice. I don't have enough time to test every aspect of every item I use, and the orange (painted by yours truly) has worked well in the past.

I think that the shape is important, and here's why:
The first time I tried the Hacks I couldn't figure out why I was shooting distinctly high. Then an interesting thing was pointed out to me: the circle on the front sight of the Hack is bigger than the rear sight notch depth, so when I was seeing a full dot, the front sight was actually high. Odd, but true.

I also find that for me, the rear dots being in perfect alignment with the front dot is great for times when I need the tritium assist. I don't even notice them in the light, which makes the rear look like a plain black rear, which is good.

That big bright front sight stands out well in the black rear notch. I find the width of the front sight and rear sight to be as well as anything else I have used. I like to shoot fast, and I like to be precise, and the sights seem to work well in that regard, and I don't have to paint anything or shop around for different front sight heights.

Catridge
04-14-12, 22:55
I have the Kyle Defoor sights by Ameriglo. The sight picture is well defined and the front and rear are at a 90 d. angle to the slide so they are super easy to rack one handed. Last class I took I found I could rack the slide off my jeans (without sweeping my leg :D) A bonus is they are relatively inexpensive, about $56.00 delivered IIRC.

jpmuscle
04-14-12, 23:40
For me at least the factory sights on a Glock are the very first thing to go. I ran Meprolites's on my 23 for many years and I guess they were ok. I just had a set of Warrens put on my 19 with the rear being plain and the front is red fiber optic. So far I really like them. Nice and fast acquisition. I really like the height of them compared to the Glock sights as I am used to a 1911 and the extra height of the Warren sights really makes a difference to me. I have a feeling I am going to be trying a few other sets just to check them out and see if I like them as well.

Sorry it's kind of fuzzy. Couldn't get my phone to focus.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/ReaperAZ/Guns/_utf-8_B_SU1BRzA0MTAuanBn_-1.jpg

I have the set up presently on my 17 and its my favorite by far. Quick to pick up and really prefer the thinner front blade. Although I wish the sight front site was a bit deeper to gather more light.

Jason Weekley
04-15-12, 15:25
All of my Glock's,M&P and 1911 have 10-8 Performance sights

Ga Shooter
04-15-12, 16:18
I have not. A bright orange front sight is pretty well preferred amongst high level shooters (certainly not universal though), so I went with the data I had available and went that path with my choice. I don't have enough time to test every aspect of every item I use, and the orange (painted by yours truly) has worked well in the past.

I think that the shape is important, and here's why:
The first time I tried the Hacks I couldn't figure out why I was shooting distinctly high. Then an interesting thing was pointed out to me: the circle on the front sight of the Hack is bigger than the rear sight notch depth, so when I was seeing a full dot, the front sight was actually high. Odd, but true.

I also find that for me, the rear dots being in perfect alignment with the front dot is great for times when I need the tritium assist. I don't even notice them in the light, which makes the rear look like a plain black rear, which is good.

That big bright front sight stands out well in the black rear notch. I find the width of the front sight and rear sight to be as well as anything else I have used. I like to shoot fast, and I like to be precise, and the sights seem to work well in that regard, and I don't have to paint anything or shop around for different front sight heights.

Thank you very much for your response. That helps me a lot. I will have to give your setup a try and I will let you know how it works for me.

ridgerunner70
04-20-12, 17:38
Big fan of the redback one here.

My second favorite is the ameriglo pro operator.

How do you like your rb1 sights?

ridgerunner70
05-27-12, 10:53
Thanks all for helping me chose and input for what sights I wanted on my G17. I went with RB1 sights and really I'm satisfied. Thanks guys!!

Spiffums
05-27-12, 20:51
I'm very impressed with Ameriglo sights. I have the Defoor's (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/defoortactical.jpg) and the Pro Operators (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/pro-operator). I like the fact that they offers a green front w/ yellow rears that do not have a white outline.

I just got a police trade-in G21 and will be trying out some regular Operators (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/operator).

~Greg

I run Operators on my G19 and their suppressor sights on my 34. I love them.