PDA

View Full Version : question for Auto Body Mechanic

platoonDaddy
04-11-12, 15:56
Purchased a vehicle that the dealer glued on the name of his business (14 friggin letters). My question, when I remove them what would you recommend to clean up the glue?

Thanks

NoveskeFan
04-11-12, 16:00
I'm not an auto tech, but have used WD-40 to remove adhesive residue. 3M also sells adhesive remover, but the WD-40 works fast, just clean it all off when done. Are you gonna use a heat gun to remove the letters? That should help with the adhesive.

GeorgiaBoy
04-11-12, 16:49
Goo-gone.

Lincoln7
04-11-12, 17:02
3M (or equivalent) eraser disc. It mounts in a drill and, at low speeds, works wonders on left over residue. I've used these numerous times with great results when removing trim and badges. Available at NAPA, probably others.

GTifosi
04-11-12, 17:43
+1 for goo-gone

ucrt
04-11-12, 17:48

Lighter Fluid.

platoonDaddy
04-11-12, 18:36
I'm not an auto tech, but have used WD-40 to remove adhesive residue. 3M also sells adhesive remover, but the WD-40 works fast, just clean it all off when done. Are you gonna use a heat gun to remove the letters? That should help with the adhesive.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Never thought about the heat gun, was just going to yank off and then work on the residue. Hmm, would the heat gun screw up the paint?

warpigM-4
04-11-12, 18:37
MKE in the paint thinner isle at your local hardware store .I used it and a rag to get the sticker goo left behind on my retired Police car .it came right off and did not hurt the paint .

NoveskeFan
04-11-12, 18:53
I actually used a hair dryer, but a hot sunny day also works. I also used some fishing line to work behind the letters.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Never thought about the heat gun, was just going to yank off and then work on the residue. Hmm, would the heat gun screw up the paint?

Lincoln7
04-11-12, 21:31
I actually used a hair dryer, but a hot sunny day also works. I also used some fishing line to work behind the letters.

I agree, hair dryer works great. If the left over adhesive is too much for fluid removal (goo gone, WD-40, etc) use the eraser wheel. If you only have a heat gun use it carefully, moving it often. You can damage paint with one if you aren't careful.

lethal dose
04-11-12, 21:40
I use a hair dryer and an eraser wheel.

buckshot1220
04-11-12, 22:00
Hair dryer or heat gun to remove letters. Mineral spirits (available in any home improvement store near the paint) to remove adhesive. Mineral spirits are completely safe on auto paint, though I do recommend going over the area with a protectant wax as the mineral spirits will remove any wax.