PDA

View Full Version : "gudman" banned?

wild_wild_wes
04-11-12, 21:01
Apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I have a couple items up for sale in EE. Today I got a message from "gudman" offering to buy. The syntax in the message seemed weird, and he gave me an AoL adress to answer to. I looked at his user profile, and he has 0 posts, and his status is "banned". What's the story on this, is this a banned member, or some kind of 'bot?

The_War_Wagon
04-11-12, 21:27
It happens sometimes. I pass it along to the Mods - they make the badguy go squish. :cool:

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-11-12, 21:40
He sent me a message to asking to buy something. From the way he was writing I didnt think he was from the US or at least not native.

og556
04-12-12, 08:44
He PM'd me about some XTM rail panels I have on the EE. The wordi g he used was very strange. I don't normally judge a book by its cover but something about this one does not seem right.

M4arc
04-12-12, 08:49
I'm not familiar with this individual but 99.8% of the time if someone with 0 posts has been banned then he was a spammer. I would delete his emails and break off all contact with him.

SWATcop556
04-12-12, 08:51
DO NOT send payment information to ANYONE you feel is not legit. We strive to keep the scam artisits off the site but some get to send messages or post threads before we deliver the head shot.

If you have any questions regarding if a member is legit please PM and Mod or Staff so we can look into it.

We have our ways.................:big_boss:

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-12-12, 09:16
Hello

I am interested in buying the H&K 416 battle sights that you have placed for sale, and I would want to know about the present condition, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price then I get a Cheque or Or Moder sent.

Would you please reply back to me at: classauto01@aol.com

I will be looking forward to hear from you soon.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffith
Here is what he sent me first thing I thought is WTF its very forward of you to say " I expect this timely enough" Then he also want to know details about me? Then he signs it yours interestingly? It just raised to many RED flags.

SWATcop556
04-12-12, 10:02
Well if it looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit, then it's probably..........

Timbonez
04-12-12, 10:10
Well if it looks like bullshit, smells like bullshit, then it's probably..........

a duck!

wild_wild_wes
04-12-12, 11:12
Got this message this morning:

"Im not on the staff of this board, but I own another. Feel free to post this in GD.

What youre describing is that a scammer was picked out by the staff on this board and stopped before it was too late.

They offer to buy things, then say that its going to be bought through an "agent". They then ask you to pay the agents "commission" by a fake paypal link or by sending a money order to some place overseas."

montanadave
04-12-12, 11:12
or perhaps an agent of The Illiterati.

wild_wild_wes
04-12-12, 11:15
Hello

I am interested in buying the H&K 416 battle sights that you have placed for sale, and I would want to know about the present condition, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

As for the payment, I would need you to get back in touch with the last asking price then I get a Cheque or Or Moder sent.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffith
Here is what he sent me first thing I thought is WTF its very forward of you to say " I expect this timely enough" Then he also want to know details about me? Then he signs it yours interestingly? It just raised to many RED flags.

I got the exact same message, with the exception that he stated the names of my EE items. So at least he put a bit of effort into it!

JBecker 72
04-12-12, 11:28
I got a similar pm from the same guy.

Hello

I am interested in buying the Magpul CTR Milspec stock black SPF that you have placed for sale, and I would want to know about the present condition, as well as some detail about you. I expect this timely enough.

Yours interestingly,
Raymond Griffith

NoveskeFan
04-12-12, 11:54
Why would anyone trying to sell something pay someones commission? Seems weird. If someone contacted me and said "I'll buy it, but please send 4% to xxxx" I'd tell them to go blow a goat. Just don't understand this scam. Also, is this account banned and still sending PM's? I thought banned meant you could not access your account to do anything.

Got this message this morning:

"Im not on the staff of this board, but I own another. Feel free to post this in GD.

What youre describing is that a scammer was picked out by the staff on this board and stopped before it was too late.

They offer to buy things, then say that its going to be bought through an "agent". They then ask you to pay the agents "commission" by a fake paypal link or by sending a money order to some place overseas."

MistWolf
04-12-12, 12:34
Running that email addy through a search engine brought up some interesting results. Several other sites were hit by the same scammer

rojocorsa
04-12-12, 13:03
The way it is written reminds me of Nigeria.

Redmanfms
04-12-12, 13:43
The way it is written reminds me of Nigeria.

Yup, I suspect a 419 scammer with some kind of new (dumber) trick.

Since when is it the seller's responsibility to pay a commission?

Iraqgunz
04-12-12, 13:52
I was contacted by some members and after I Googled his email address I knew that he was the anti-christ in disguise. I promptly banned him to prevent any members from getting screwed.

I would have posted this in the open, but I am traveling at the moment.

Running that email addy through a search engine brought up some interesting results. Several other sites were hit by the same scammer

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-12-12, 15:38
Good thing I didnt fall for it:sarcastic:

SW-Shooter
04-12-12, 22:20
Oh crap, I just supposedly sold an upper to someone with 0 posts, new member. I hope he is legit, gave me all his info and I gave them my shipping address. He seems legit, answered IM'd promptly and called me. Damn it, now I'm all worried.

Rider79
04-12-12, 22:29
Got the exact same message, told him to go **** himself and his scam immediately.

lethal dose
04-12-12, 22:31
It's probably cool... I've done it. Just avoid odd sounding messages. Also, wait for payment before shipping!
Oh crap, I just supposedly sold an upper to someone with 0 posts, new member. I hope he is legit, gave me all his info and I gave them my shipping address. He seems legit, answered IM'd promptly and called me. Damn it, now I'm all worried.

SW-Shooter
04-12-12, 22:53
It's probably cool... I've done it. Just avoid odd sounding messages. Also, wait for payment before shipping!

I think my guy is legit, his messages are well composed and a 5 minute conversation that I just recalled made me breath a huge sigh of relief. I've been scammed at TOS to the tune of $450.00, so nowadays you can never be too cautious. Heartbeat is normal now.

DeltaSierra
04-13-12, 00:09
I think my guy is legit, his messages are well composed and a 5 minute conversation that I just recalled made me breath a huge sigh of relief. I've been scammed at TOS to the tune of $450.00, so nowadays you can never be too cautious. Heartbeat is normal now.

I wouldn't worry much - as a whole this forum attracts a slightly different type than some of the other sites out there. Of course there are a few bad apples, but don't let them ruin it for the rest of us...

rojocorsa
04-13-12, 02:36
As long as its not weird third country national's translations of the English language, you should be fine.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-13-12, 08:46
After it was explaind how the scam works I sent him an email and I cant belive how close the responce is to what SWATcop556 said here you go.

Thanks for your response and sorry I wasnt able to reply sooner to your mail.

You can not belief how only I had wish meeting you personally to discuss this regrettably I am no longer based in the States but now here in Toronto, Canada on similar business interest and also have a family owned old aged ware house with home located in Birmingham, Alabama, USA (storage & restoration unit) which is being run by my lovely wife and Son.

So, would you please inform me if I am to purchase the 416 sights whats the bottom line price (quote your price minus shipping cost) and in the same doing Send to me necessary details postal address, full name and telephone number(s) of whom the cheque should be payable to. On the shipment, I have a recommended haulier there who will be contracted to meet with you for inspection, survey and arrangement for shipment.

On getting the cheque cashed and all agreement was proved legitimate, he (the haulier) will be directed to establish contact with you for immediate transfer of the bike to designated locations. I have hard hearing i can only text you

Here is my cell phone: (205) 547-0592

Raymond Griffith

NoveskeFan
04-13-12, 09:27
So they are after you name, address and phone # to presumably use an online "background" search to try and do some identity theft crap? Or something more sinister?

wild_wild_wes
04-13-12, 09:31
Thanks for your response and sorry I wasnt able to reply sooner to your mail.

You can not belief how only I had wish meeting you personally to discuss this regrettably I am no longer based in the States but now here in Toronto, Canada on similar business interest and also have a family owned old aged ware house with home located in Birmingham, Alabama, USA (storage & restoration unit) which is being run by my lovely wife and Son.

So, would you please inform me if I am to purchase the 416 sights whats the bottom line price (quote your price minus shipping cost) and in the same doing Send to me necessary details postal address, full name and telephone number(s) of whom the cheque should be payable to. On the shipment, I have a recommended haulier there who will be contracted to meet with you for inspection, survey and arrangement for shipment.

On getting the cheque cashed and all agreement was proved legitimate, he (the haulier) will be directed to establish contact with you for immediate transfer of the bike to designated locations. I have hard hearing i can only text you

Here is my cell phone: (205) 547-0592

Raymond Griffith

lulz!

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-13-12, 14:42
Yours interestingly?

Thats the best signature Ive ever seen.

austinN4
04-13-12, 16:29
The phone number in Google came up with this:

http://www.whycall.me/205-547-0592.html