PDA

View Full Version : Integrity of aftermarket Glock night sights?

BBQBOY
04-12-12, 09:23
A took my G23 to my gun shop to inquire about nit sights. The gentleman there advised me NOT to get night sights added and that I should only buy a Glock with night sights.
The gentleman says he has seen the night sights fail and come loose after some shooting.
This didn't sound right to me and was surprised that no one was willing to help me in this area.
Has anyone added night sights to their Glock, or any pistol and had issues with them?

RSS1911
04-12-12, 09:33
I've installed night sights on all three of my Glocks (2 with Heinie; 1 with Warren). I did them myself, and must have done them right, as I haven't had any fall off yet.

jahwarrior1423
04-12-12, 09:48
The guy's an idiot...

Guns-up.50
04-12-12, 09:52
:confused: Not to be a total dick but are you sure he knows what the hell he is talking about? First what would be the diff between buying a glock with n/s or putting them on after? Is he trying to say that if you want night sights glock needs to install them? All my glocks have a heinie and trij hd if you can bust them then you're using the gun as a hammer and things arent looking good for you anyways at that point. If it were me I would not be leaving my guns with them to work on.... go get you some good night sights and beat ther hell out of them
good luck

chuckman
04-12-12, 09:55
Uh, no. In fact, one of the great things about Glocks are the plethora of aftermarket doo-dads (including sights).

ImBroke
04-12-12, 09:59
I've added Ameriglo Operators to 5 of my Glocks using the MGM sight tool. The only problem I had was with a front sight (it uses a screw) coming loose after a range session. I emailed Ameriglo, sent it back and they sent me a new one which didn't come loose after shooting. It's the kind of issue that appears after rounds have been fired so even a factory installed night sight isn't immune.

rockymountaind
04-12-12, 10:13
The guy's an idiot...

This. I've installed aftermarket night sights on every Glock I've owned and never had a problem.

okie john
04-12-12, 10:19
The gentleman says he has seen the night sights fail and come loose after some shooting.

Aftermarket night sights can fail, but it's extremely rare and the makers are great about taking care of you if it happens.

I think your guy may have been misinformed.

Okie John

Palmguy
04-12-12, 10:30
A took my G23 to my gun shop to inquire about nit sights. The gentleman there advised me NOT to get night sights added and that I should only buy a Glock with night sights.
This didn't sound right to me and was surprised that no one was willing to help me in this area.
Has anyone added night sights to their Glock, or any pistol and had issues with them?

Loctite.

PrivateCitizen
04-12-12, 10:37
False

Meth0d
04-12-12, 10:43
I have Trijicon 3 dot GL01 on my Glock 23. If they're put on correctly, they will last a very long time.

ygbsm
04-12-12, 10:46
Before outright comdemning the man, he has some truth there.

1. Front sights installed without loc-tite will come loose and fall off with use

2. It is possible to break the tritium vials in night sights, rendering them no longer night capable after 2-3 days

Palmguy
04-12-12, 10:51

1. Front sights installed without loc-tite will come loose and fall off with use

2. It is possible to break the tritium vials in night sights, rendering them no longer night capable after 2-3 days

Point 2 doesn't apply, as the vials GNS aren't anything special with respect to durability compared to aftermarket sights.

Point 1, yes, just use Loctite. Glock doesn't have any kind of voodoo that they use to affix sights to slides that no one else can do. If he was thinking of the older crimped on front sights, Glock doesn't use those any more anyways so there is no advantage unless the person installing aftermarket sights doesn't see fit to use Loctite.

Magsz
04-12-12, 11:06

If you install something improperly and it fails, that does not create an absolute fact. It creates a fact that in and of itself is flawed.

A properly installed set of sights will take an absolute BEATING, just as much of a beating as a factory installed set of Glock night sights.

Also, 2 is VERY rare and if it does happen, you STILL Have a notch and post to work with so it is a moot issue.

glocktogo
04-12-12, 12:21

And had the dealer stated that and explained that they recommend correct installation, you'd have a point. As his recommendation was to not get them installed on the OP's current Glock, he's an idiot and shouldn't be listened to.

I've installed hundreds of night sights (literally, no exaggeration). I've had none return due to loosening. I've had three Meprolight Glock rear sights returned with failed vials, all three from the same lot. That entire lot was returned and replaced by the manufacturer (long time ago).

Failure2Stop
04-12-12, 12:33
Pretty much the only thing I consider a "must do" with Glocks is replacement of their laughable sights with a decent set, preferably of the tritium variety.

brickboy240
04-12-12, 12:36
I have a set of Meprolights on my 2nd gen G22 (made in 1993) and they have been on the gun since 1996. They show no signs of coming loose and they have seen thousands of 40SW loads pounding them hard.

I call BS on aftermarket Glock sights coming loose.

- brickboy240

PLCedeno
04-12-12, 12:41
The only time i have had an issue with the front sight, if it can be called that, is when i once used Blue Loctite instead of Red. I noticed that after 7 years of hard use the front sight required some tightening. This was on a Glock 23. Normal. Using Red would require direct heat to take them off. I wouldn't call the guy an idiot, but he didnt know what he was talking about on this topic.

djmorris
04-12-12, 12:45
Dumbest thing ever. There's no difference between factory installed and doing it yourself aside from the fact that you'll actually have more choices if you install your own after the initial purchase.

BBQBOY
04-12-12, 13:32
Thanks a lot guys. I'll be getting some night sights then. Now, I just need to figure out which one.

dookie1481
04-12-12, 19:12
The gentleman there advised me NOT to get night sights added and that I should only buy a Glock with night sights.

Which I'm sure he would happen to sell, right?