PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Practice

ASH556
04-12-12, 11:35
I just read through the "favorite drills" thread, and it's pretty much all pistol drills. With the price of ammo going up, I want to start doing more dry firing with both the pistol and carbine. I also want to make my range time/ammo count for as much as possible.

How far and with what kind of target should I be dry firing? In other words, does using a door knob or light switch 5-10 feet away work just as well has having a 2" or smaller dot designated setup in the garage?

Also, what are some good dry fire drills? How many dummy rounds do you use, if any?

Again at the range, I have access to 25yds indoors and 75yds outdoors. Both are static (standing or bench only). At the outdoor range it's 15min between cease fires.

I'd appreciate all feedback.

Thank you!

Failure2Stop
04-12-12, 12:29
Presentations are crucial with the carbine, every bit as important as a rock-solid stance.

Work on driving the sights to a precise point as the safety is swept and precisely breaking the shot. At indoor distances I would work on 6" plates, 3x5 cards, and 1" dots. As that gets beter and better I would begin to transition to proper hold-over presentations instead of using the aiming points.

Transitions are also a key factor of fundamental "good shooting".
Work on driving the gun across short and wide distances, and from large to small targets. The dry-fire portion should be on the transition target, not the presentation target.

Be very conscious of maintiaing proper stance and grip during dry-fire, or it will be nothing but wasted time.

jenrick
04-15-12, 21:57
I use the screws on a light switch cover plate, or an outlet cover plate if I want to practice precision holds. I use the switch body it self or the ground hole on an outlet for a "torso" hold at simulated distance. I use the whole light switch cover plate or outlet cover for closer more rapid engagements.

-Jenrick

aflin
04-16-12, 20:03
Everytime I go to the range, I always myself. Am I here to:

1)Learn? Meaning and I here to practice a newly taught technique?
2) Skill building? Meaning to practice/ fine tune the skills I have already have mastered?
3) Maintaining skillset? Meaning to maintain the current skill level we are at. Shooting is a perishable skill, so if I go a week or two without shooting, I go out to maintain my skillset.

Just some food for thought

ridgerunner70
05-05-12, 11:21
One dry fire drill I do at home to practice for getting on the target fast from ready position is- I cut a piece of cardboard 2.6"x6.1" (replicates IPSC "A" at 10yds) and tack it on my door and get in ready position at 8' away. I downloaded an app from Surefire timer and works well for dry fire inside. Get in my stance and ready position,wait for beep and get one dry fire shot on target. I do this around 30x a session. I average my times. I really don't know what a good time is from a ready position shot.

The_War_Wagon
05-05-12, 12:26
Three words for you: "Dedicated" ".22LR" "AR"

Dry firing is good (especially here in the frozen tundra!), although as Failure2Stop notes, only PERFECT practice makes perfect. A dedicated .22LR AR trainer is GREAT for practice at CQB distances, and is VERY cheap to feed!

Mine is a BUILT .22LR trainer - Tactical Solutions M4-style .22LR upper, Precision Aero lower, ARF-X stock, Magpul furniture, DD 12.0 Omega X FSP rails, Aimpoint Comp M (their first model), PentagonLight, and TacticalLink sling (older Magpul rear sight pictured - I now run a Troy folding rear sight).

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7624.jpg

It's built LIKE my 5.56 rifles (not cheaply), but rather, so I can practice REALISTICALLY.

p.s. - My photobucket account is fritzed at the moment - check back Tuesday. :rolleyes:

Failure2Stop
05-06-12, 12:59
I really don't know what a good time is from a ready position shot.

10 yards on top 3/4 of an "A" zone- about 1 second is pretty good for a guaranteed hit on the first shot of a multiple shot string (which all presentation practice should be reinforcing). It's pretty easy to cheat that down to .5 if you don't bother to build a solid platform for the gun, which is what a lot of dry-fire and .22 can do if you don't reinforce the training with live-fire.

An IPSC "A" zone is very generous, which is why I recommend what I posted earlier.

ridgerunner70
05-06-12, 13:58
Presentations are crucial with the carbine, every bit as important as a rock-solid stance.

Work on driving the sights to a precise point as the safety is swept and precisely breaking the shot. At indoor distances I would work on 6" plates, 3x5 cards, and 1" dots. As that gets beter and better I would begin to transition to proper hold-over presentations instead of using the aiming points.

Transitions are also a key factor of fundamental "good shooting".
Work on driving the gun across short and wide distances, and from large to small targets. The dry-fire portion should be on the transition target, not the presentation target.

Be very conscious of maintiaing proper stance and grip during dry-fire, or it will be nothing but wasted time.

Is this drill down at say 3-5 yds? In house.

Failure2Stop
05-06-12, 14:26
Is this drill down at say 3-5 yds? In house.

It's not really a drill, per se, but really just aiming/target media.
But yes, 5 (ish) yards (generally do-able within a livingroom/hallway/garage) is a pretty decent distance to work 3x5s and 1" dots/squares, both for dead-hold and offset work.

I want to clarify, I am not saying that you are doing anything wrong, just that I prefer to do it differently.

SpookyPistolero
05-06-12, 16:39
F2S- do you have any links to a 'treatise' authored by yourself on proper stance, grip, mechanics, etc? I'd love to make sure my dry fire time isn't wasted.