PDA

View Full Version : HK USP 9mm Compact (opinions from owners, please)

brickboy240
04-12-12, 12:17
Oh man...I HAD to go looking around at my local fun store! LOL

Well, while pondering over just buying another Glock (19) or even a new Walther PPQ...a local store has a very lightly used HK USP 9 compact in its used gun display. It is in VERY good condition and has factory night sights that still seem pretty bright.

I examined the USP9C and found that it fit my hand really well. The trigger I can totally live with and is not a terrible as many make the HK trigger out to be. I can get this lightly used HK USP9C for about what I'd pay for a new PPQ.

I have never actually shot any of the USP pistols, but I know a few people that own them and swear by these guns. Since I own an older SIG P228, the d/a s/a feature does not bother me that much and it is not very different from my P228, really.

I know the PPQ brand new is the same price, but the USP has been around longer and "proven" itself. Holsters and mags are out there and having a pistol with an actual track record is somewhat important.

So who here owns and shoots a USP Compact? How do these pistols hold up long term? Accuracy? Reliability? I am going to guess that from the reviews I have found that the USP is pretty reliable and as tough or more tougher than the Glock.

Is there any glaring problem/feature/wart of the USP that I should know about or check before buying?

Thanks in advance....I am really thinking that (oddly enough) a USP might be in my near future. Felt good in the hand and i don't find the trigger bad at all.

Thanks!

-brickboy240

PS: I know about the funky rail on the USP already...the rail issue does not matter to me since I do not plan on hanging a light from any pistol I own.

djmorris
04-12-12, 12:56
Check the date on the slide. It'll be in their little codes but you can look these up on HK's website. This will tell you how old it is. Models older than 2005 or so used the old firing pin design which is a little more prone to breaking if you dry fire alot. Honestly, I don't think it's a very common issue and I've never actually seen it happen.

I recently purchased a full-size USP .40 police trade in dated 2002 and it had the older firing pin design. I had no issues with the firing pin but I swapped it out for the new design anyways. It ran me around $40 and I now have a spare firing pin, etc for future use (if the need ever be)...

The USP compact is a very nice handgun. I'd love to have the USPc in 9mm! Especially with good night sights, anything below $600 for a used one is worth it. Alot of guys will be coming in this thread and telling you to buy a G19 or PPQ over the USP, but in reality the USP is probably the most proven handgun design ever and if you really liked the way it felt then go for it. Regardless of round count, these things will keep on going.

The trigger on my USP is great. I honestly love it. Sure, the double action pull is long but who uses double action? That's what single action is for. I highly prefer a DA/SA handgun over striker fired anyways.

The USP is as reliable as it gets and incredibly accurate.

Here's an oldy but a good link to check out regarding USP's reliability:

http://www.streetpro.com/usp/torture.html

HK is one of, if not the only company that does not have random 'bad' batches of lemons released. If you're buying an HK, it's generally going to last your entire life and your children's too.

In short, yes any HK is worth it and everybody should own a USP! Get it. You'll love it, guaranteeeeeed.

kmrtnsn
04-12-12, 13:05
I carried an issued USPc .40 LEM for years, now carrying a POW USPc .40 and it's little cousin, the P2000SK, also in .40. Personally, if I were buying an HK right now and wanted a mid-sized handgun then I'd get the P2000. It has picatinny rails and the adjustable backstraps. It also has an ambidextrous slide release, something the USPc lacks. My HKs have been flawless in operation, I find them easy to shoot fast and I like the reset of the LEM trigger.

brickboy240
04-12-12, 13:23
He actually has a P2000 9mm for sale too..but it is 150 dollars more.

The P2000 seems nice, but I am right handed so an ambi safety means nothing and the grip of the USP C was fine with me.

I am sure the P2000 is a great pistol, but I don't see it being 150 bucks more. I have kids to feed and 4 buck a gallon gas to deal with and besides, the USP C will need a holster and spare mags! LOL

The d/a s/a thingy does not bother me, as my P228 is this way and I have never felt it kept me from shooting it well. I am pretty good with the little 228, really.

Yes...don't want to hear "buy XYZ instead" type stuff....just asking from those that OWN USP compacts and how they run and if there is a glaring thing I need to be aware of on these guns.

The one I am looking at was made in 1996...I found that out from the seller.

- brickboy240

Pistol Shooter
04-12-12, 16:10
He actually has a P2000 9mm for sale too..but it is 150 dollars more.

The P2000 seems nice, but I am right handed so an ambi safety means nothing and the grip of the USP C was fine with me.

I am sure the P2000 is a great pistol, but I don't see it being 150 bucks more. I have kids to feed and 4 buck a gallon gas to deal with and besides, the USP C will need a holster and spare mags! LOL

The d/a s/a thingy does not bother me, as my P228 is this way and I have never felt it kept me from shooting it well. I am pretty good with the little 228, really.

Yes...don't want to hear "buy XYZ instead" type stuff....just asking from those that OWN USP compacts and how they run and if there is a glaring thing I need to be aware of on these guns.

The one I am looking at was made in 1996...I found that out from the seller.

- brickboy240

It's not worth $150.00 more than the USP by any stretch of the imagination.

Get the USP, you'll be glad you did. :)

Good luck, let us know what you decide.

loupav
04-12-12, 16:29
The USP Compact 9mm was the first HK I ever bought, back then I was using a Sig P228 and I can tell you that once I started shooting the USP Compact 9mm, the Sig saw a lot of safe queen time. The USP Compact 9mm is one of the nicest guns I had at the time, it never failed and never had a problem. If you can pick it up for a good price with factory NS, than go for it.

But I must say that I love my P2000 much MORE than my USPc 9mm. I know the standard rail is of no use to you, but I did find the P2000 to be a smoother shooter than the USP Compact. That and it also has the interchangeable back straps. But if the USPc feels better in the hand, there's no point in paying the $150 more for the P2k. Personally I didn't even think the P2k is worth $150 more, maybe $50 in a used market.

The USP is an excellent shooter, you'll be very happy with it. Good luck.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-12-12, 16:47
The P2000 is a better gun but you would be fine with either. The P2000 will allow you to do things like attach a light without a goofy adapter.

brickboy240
04-12-12, 16:51
ONE thing that stood out on the P2000 that I did not like.

I noticed that the ambi slide release really got in the way with my high hand grip. I could see my thumb or finger riding that ambi release and maybe causing premature slide lock or no slide lock after the last round.

The USP does not have this release so that does not appear to be a problem.

I know that with my P228, I had to "learn" not to hold it a certain way, because I would accidentally "ride" the slide stop and cause premature slide lock.

With the USP...I held it several times and thought I could totally live with the grip and no chances of "riding" any controls. I felt that the aggressive texture on the frame might be a help when its hot and humid outside and my hands are sweaty - which happens here often.

I also thought the trigger was not all that terrible. Everyone here goes on about how awful the HK triggers are but I could totally live with the USP's trigger. I have shot M&Ps and Berettas with MUCH worse triggers.

- brickboy240

kmrtnsn
04-12-12, 17:39
The P2000 is a better gun but you would be fine with either. The P2000 will allow you to do things like attach a light without a goofy adapter.

And find a holster to fit that pistol/light combination.

Talon167
04-12-12, 17:47
I have the USPc 40. 5k through it and it's been flawless. My first carry gun. Put it through the 2k test:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/103044__The_2_000_Round_Challenge_.html&page=11#i1191138

Palmguy
04-12-12, 18:16
Great gun. I like the P2000 a little more but there is nothing wrong with the USPc.

Recommend swapping out the mag release for the HK45c part, it's quite a bit better.

mdoan300
04-12-12, 20:30
My USP-9 Compact is also a 1996 date code that I also bought used back in 2003. I don't know how many rounds went through it prior to my ownership, but it's my CCW. I use a Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB holster.

The c-clip that holds the recoil spring assembly together broke a couple of years ago. The clip doesn't affect the function of the weapon -- just makes field stripping and putting it back together simpler. Instead of replacing just the c-clip, I decided to replace the entire recoil spring assembly.

The compacts don't have the same recoil buffer spring design that the fullsize models have. They have a polymer recoil buffer instead.

I'm more accurate w/ my fullsize USP-9, but the compact gets the job done.

About the only other pistol I would consider replacing my compact for CC would be an HK P7.

SkiDevil
04-12-12, 22:35
I purchased one recently.
If you have been using da/ sa pistols then it should be an easy transition.

I started a thread here regarding my USPC 9 mm pistol. I summarized my initial thoughts regarding the weapon.

Although it only has approx. 500 rounds through it with no malfunctions, I have no doubt that it will be a reliable gun. In addition, it points well, has minimal recoil, and very accurate for a compact 3.5" barreled handgun.

Thus far, my only gripes with the pistol are that with the magazine extension in place the pistol grip is fairly snug for my large hand. So, if you have a large hand then it may be a consideration. Also, the da pull on mine is HEAVY. Is is smooth with no creep, but heavy. I'm guessing around 12 lbs. or slightly more.

Otherwise, I am pretty content with the purchase.

rauchman
04-13-12, 08:24
I got to fire a USP9C once and loved it. Very accurate. Go for it.

glockshooter
04-13-12, 09:04
My department is in the process of transitioning to a new duty weapon. We have had been used HK pistols for about ten years. We currently have about 40 USP compacts in a locker that are broken. The have had issues with the compact pistols for about the last five years. They have broken in many different ways. Our fullsize guns have been very durable. If you and looking for a smaller HK pistol I would look at the P2000. It is a much more ergonomic pistol than the USPc.

Truth be told we would probably still be issuing the HK pistols if HK would make parts and adequate CS available.

Matt

Lone_Ranger
04-13-12, 10:12
I loved mine, when I had one. It is the one pistol, I wish I never sold. I called it my, Jack Bauer Special.

mrosamilia
04-13-12, 16:46
I had a bi tone 9. Loved the gun but I would occasionally push slide release out a bit when switching hands. Sold and switched to 19 and Sig p239.

HKGuns
04-14-12, 08:10
The have had issues with the compact pistols for about the last five years. They have broken in many different ways.

That is certainly a news flash.

I have a ton of rounds through my USPc without issue and I don't hear a lot about HK having issues with the compact line for the last 5 years.

djmorris
04-14-12, 08:30
My department is in the process of transitioning to a new duty weapon. We have had been used HK pistols for about ten years. We currently have about 40 USP compacts in a locker that are broken. The have had issues with the compact pistols for about the last five years. They have broken in many different ways. Our fullsize guns have been very durable. If you and looking for a smaller HK pistol I would look at the P2000. It is a much more ergonomic pistol than the USPc.

Truth be told we would probably still be issuing the HK pistols if HK would make parts and adequate CS available.

Matt

This all coming from someone with "Glock" in their username. Who would have figured??? I've never heard of any ongoing issues with the USPc or USP full size. Have you ever used the customer service? HK has top notch customer service, some of the best in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I can't speak for what it to be but both times I've dealt with them they more than exceeded my expectations.

As far as parts, I don't get it. You can find them all over the internet for cheap. Topgun, Numrich, HKparts all come to mind as having whatever HK parts you want at good prices.

BrigandTwoFour
04-14-12, 11:53
I had a USPc 9 several years ago. I gave it to my dad when I received orders to California, and he later sold it when he hit hard financial times. It was his to begin with, but he "loaned" it to me while I lived in Miami. I wish he would have given me the option to buy it off of him.

It was a great pistol. I don't know how many rounds I fired through it without ever cleaning or lubricating, and never had one malfunction. This was back before I really knew anything about firearm care and maintenance.

There are newer flashier designs out these days, but I can't fault the USP one bit. If you have a good bead on one, then I can't think of a reason not to get it.

mdoan300
04-14-12, 11:58

Can you go into greater detail on the issues and breakages? Like the other comments, I'm surprised to hear this and I'd like to know details such as what part(s) broke, how many rounds were through the pistols, how much abuse was given to them, etc.

ralph
04-14-12, 12:12
Yes, please do tell.....I'm interested as well..

E-man930
04-14-12, 13:31
Doesn't make sense - the USP C is in production, simply calling H&K and sending them the pistols would result in factory repair of all of the broken pistols and return shipping to said LEA.

djmorris
04-14-12, 14:08
Doesn't make sense - the USP C is in production, simply calling H&K and sending them the pistols would result in factory repair of all of the broken pistols and return shipping to said LEA.

Exactly. Why would they have a closet full of broken HK's? The likelihood of an HK breaking at all is slim to none. If they truly had all these broken HK's then why are they not replacing the parts? HK parts are widely available online and cheaper than a lot of other parts out there (Sig comes to mind). If your armorer doesn't want to do it then HK would take care of the alleged issues for little to no out of pocket cost.

http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/images/smilies/BS-Flag.gif

drck1000
04-14-12, 19:07
Can you go into greater detail on the issues and breakages? Like the other comments, I'm surprised to hear this and I'd like to know details such as what part(s) broke, how many rounds were through the pistols, how much abuse was given to them, etc.

I have a USP 40c and the flat spring broke at about 1200 rounds or so. About 900 of that was when I first got it and then I didn't shoot it for about 12 years or so. I got back into shooting recently and that's when the flat spring broke after about 300 more rounds. All of those rounds were on a stationary range, so no abuse. I've since gone with Glock 17's, so the USP doesn't get shot much anymore.

I called HK about the spring and they would've sent me the spring if I knew how to work on the gun. I ended up sending it in to HK and I was prepared to wait for 2 months or so. But they returned it in about two weeks. They only had the gun in their hands for a few days. When I sent the gun in, I got a lot of feedback saying that HK's CS didn't treat civilian customers well. But lately the feedback I seen seem to indicate that they have turned that around.

dc202
04-14-12, 19:09
I have several HK pistols and love them. However, the Washington State Patrol (and the piggy backing Washington State DOC) dropped them a 3-4 years ago, supposedly at least in part because of difficulty with HK corporate and their customer services, especially parts availability.

HKGuns
04-14-12, 22:28
I got a lot of feedback saying that HK's CS didn't treat civilian customers well.

That is more internet lore than anything. I've never had to use them for anything more than a manual. But they were quite responsive for that request.

drck1000
04-14-12, 23:51
That is more internet lore than anything. I've never had to use them for anything more than a manual. But they were quite responsive for that request.

I've dealt with them twice. Once a long time ago when trying to find replacement mag parts (extended floor plate) and recently for the flat spring. When I called, this past time, they were very helpful.

The feedback that I got about their CS had been from a friend who is in Customs and Border Protection. Their duty sidearms is a P2000 and one of the guys had a personal one and HK took about 2 months to fix a problem with the trigger IIRC.

My personal experience has been great, so that's the main thing. In addition to replacing the broken flat spring, they replaced something with the trigger, but I don't remember what exactly.

kmrtnsn
04-14-12, 23:56
I've dealt with them twice. Once a long time ago when trying to find replacement mag parts (extended floor plate) and recently for the flat spring. When I called, this past time, they were very helpful.

The feedback that I got about their CS had been from a friend who is in Customs and Border Protection. Their duty sidearms is a P2000 and one of the guys had a personal one and HK took about 2 months to fix a problem with the trigger IIRC.

My personal experience has been great, so that's the main thing. In addition to replacing the broken flat spring, they replaced something with the trigger, but I don't remember what exactly.

CBP does not do their own repairs to HK's at the station/port. All weapons are shipped to ICE NFTTU at Ft. Benning for repair. Weapons sent for repair are generally a one-for-one exchange, a SFI should not expect to get the same serial number back that he/she sent for repair.

drck1000
04-15-12, 02:30
CBP does not do their own repairs to HK's at the station/port. All weapons are shipped to ICE NFTTU at Ft. Benning for repair. Weapons sent for repair are generally a one-for-one exchange, a SFI should not expect to get the same serial number back that he/she sent for repair.

This wasn't his duty sidearm. Again, it was his personal gun that be bought for his use off duty. He would occasionally shoot that gun with us on a static range and would sometimes shoot IPSC with that gun. I just recall that he mentioned that his gun was at HK for repair for a while, so I expected a similar repair time for my gun.

I don't have a clue what they do with their duty sidearms.

El Vaquero
04-15-12, 15:40
And find a holster to fit that pistol/light combination.

This is my quandary at the moment. I own a USPc 9mm DA/SA and a USPc .40 LEM. I am really contemplating changing weapon platforms to a P30 or P2000. I really despise that "Universal Rail" that's on the the USP series.

Anyhow, back on track. . .Never had any issues with either of them. Fairly easy to work on, swapped the DA/SA to LEM trigger on my .40 myself in no time at all. I prefer the .40 but that's just because I have more trigger time shooting 40 cal. I have heard of issues with the base plates on the extended mags for the 9mm. Not sure if it was just a bad run of them or not.

I would buy a nicely priced used USPc 9 before I would buy a new Glock. Buy a holster, some mags, and don't look back.

kmrtnsn
04-15-12, 16:27
This is my quandary at the moment. I own a USPc 9mm DA/SA and a USPc .40 LEM. I am really contemplating changing weapon platforms to a P30 or P2000. I really despise that "Universal Rail" that's on the the USP series.

Anyhow, back on track. . .Never had any issues with either of them. Fairly easy to work on, swapped the DA/SA to LEM trigger on my .40 myself in no time at all. I prefer the .40 but that's just because I have more trigger time shooting 40 cal. I have heard of issues with the base plates on the extended mags for the 9mm. Not sure if it was just a bad run of them or not.

I would buy a nicely priced used USPc 9 before I would buy a new Glock. Buy a holster, some mags, and don't look back.

That "universal rail" was the one of the first pistol rails out there, with the UTL being the first widely available pistol light, this was cutting edge in the '90's. Competition drove the move to the more universal picatinny rail, now used by everyone. The USP was released in 1995, the USPc shortly thereafter. The P2000 is the direct descendant, of the USPc, modified for the changing market.

Never seen an extended base plate, I am assuming that you are referring to a +1/+2 type base plate. I run all flat plates on mine, I don't need the finger extension.

I am using a couple of kydex holsters in order to accommodate a M3 light, on a GG&G adapter. There are a few holsters out there made for the older UTL light but they are getting pretty rare and hard to locate.

glockshooter
04-16-12, 00:54
Apparently you believe because my user name is Glockshooter I have an issue with HK. I have carried on duty and owned several HK pistols and I believe they are very good guns. The OP asked a question in relation to the USPc. Would I be doing him a disservice by not telling him about my experiences since he asked? You are obviously an HK fan, good for you but don't think that you can imply I'm lying or have ax to grind. I don't care what anyone buys. The problem with being a fanboy of a weapon or brand is you become bias and refuse to believe anything contrary to your belief. I willing to bet I have put more round through an HK than most, so I am very familiar with the pros and cons. Maybe if you took a step back you could too.

Matt

This all coming from someone with "Glock" in their username. Who would have figured??? I've never heard of any ongoing issues with the USPc or USP full size. Have you ever used the customer service? HK has top notch customer service, some of the best in the industry as far as I'm concerned. I can't speak for what it to be but both times I've dealt with them they more than exceeded my expectations.

As far as parts, I don't get it. You can find them all over the internet for cheap. Topgun, Numrich, HKparts all come to mind as having whatever HK parts you want at good prices.

glockshooter
04-16-12, 01:01
Remember I am talking about department owned service weapons. They are serviced by a department armor. When a gun breaks we can not send it back we have to fix it or replace it. They is a huge difference in ordering one part for one gone than maintaining an entire department. HK does not sell parts direct. A department has to go through HKs middle man. If you think HK parts are widely available you are sadly mistaken. Call ANY department that issues HK and they will all tell you the same thing. HK's customer service sucks and you can't get parts.

Matt

Exactly. Why would they have a closet full of broken HK's? The likelihood of an HK breaking at all is slim to none. If they truly had all these broken HK's then why are they not replacing the parts? HK parts are widely available online and cheaper than a lot of other parts out there (Sig comes to mind). If your armorer doesn't want to do it then HK would take care of the alleged issues for little to no out of pocket cost.

http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/images/smilies/BS-Flag.gif

glockshooter
04-16-12, 01:13
We have had several failures they include broken frames, cracked slides, broken recoil springs, broken trigger springs, broken flat springs, firing pins, slide levers, etc. Most of these guns have thousands of rounds through them. We have gone as far as to take two broken guns to make one working one.

As I said in my first post we have had next to no problems with our fullsize guns and we have substantially more FS issued. It just seems to be an issue with our compacts.

Matt

E-man930
04-16-12, 07:44
"HK does not sell parts direct..."
I have bought parts from them directly at least 15 times the past few years. While they refer me to a middleman initially, I always insist I would prefer to order direct, and they proceed to take my order. Even a few orders where the parts were not in stock were filled within a few weeks, so I'm not sure why in the world you would have been turned away while they helped me.

Hogsgunwild
04-16-12, 10:39
Brickboy240: I own a USPc and P2000 but both are in .40 S&W.
I can't add much that hasn't been covered already but I will say that I do prefer the P2000 a good bit more than the USPc. I originally liked the USPc's front and back-strap grip checkering better than the P2000's grip texture. After shooting both together for awhile, I discovered that the USPc is a bit more "flippy" (bucks more / longer to get back on target) in the recoil department than the P2000 but this would probably be less of an issue in 9MM (have shot both guns in 9MM but it has been too long ago to be able to compare them).

The USPc is a tank and that is nice but I like how the P2000 is better streamlined.

If you want a safety then, of course, the P2000 is not a candidate.

The single action trigger and crisp reset is very nice on the USPc and I think the whole USP series.

As much as I like my P2000's light LEM trigger, the light LEM on my fullsize USP 45 is incredible and blows the P2000's away. This may or may not be apples to oranges but my limited experience and what I have often read about is how the USP triggers are H&Ks best triggers.

My last random thought here is: Are you able to go out to a range and rent a Walther PPQ and a USPc and perhaps even a P2000 to actually compare them all? I say this in the hopes of possibly saving you some money. It wasn't so many months ago that I bought my well used USPc and as much as I wanted to have a H&K compact with a manual safety, I now feel that my money would have been put to better use on a more modern design. I will receive my Walther PPQ today or tomorrow and I will be able to answer that question soon. Walther has an excellent reputation and the PPQ gets rave reviews... Just sayin....

ralph
04-16-12, 19:01
Hogsgunwild's post is spot on I own a P-2000, used to own a Full size USP. Both have/had a light LEM..Without a doubt the USP's trigger was better..The P-2000's isn't bad. But, I also argee the USP's light LEM is probably the best stock HK trigger available. I also own a Walther PPQ, (Hogsgunwild, you won't regret buying the PPQ, believe me..) and it's also something well worth checking out..There's nothing wrong with HK's, In my opinion,(and my opinion only) the USP, and the P-2000 are dated designs,and it would'nt surprise me in the least if HK dropped both in the future..The P-30 and the HK45/45c are more advanced designs,and have more grip options, and without a doubt, the HK45/45c are probably the most accurate out of the box pistols you can buy today..Still, I'd take a good look around, there alot of excellant pistols on the market, If you can get to a rental range, go and try out different pistols,Because you can actually shoot them, this isn't a bad way to find something you might like.

Hogsgunwild
04-16-12, 21:20
You weren't kidding Ralph. I just dry humped, I mean fired, my PPQ fresh out of the box. This thing should be fun! I agree about H&Ks being dated. I love them and especially the new models but I have found that I prefer the M&P trigger and even the Glock triggers over the H&K's. If the P30 is introduced with the striker firing mechanism instead of the hammer, I will probably get one but until then I think my M&Ps and possibly my new PPQ have won me over.