PDA

View Full Version : New M&P 45 question...

Frntsyt
04-12-12, 23:51
OK, so I'm tempted to get an M&P 45 that just came into my dealer. I've been reading that some updates have been done to the M&P line.
I'm just wondering if a pistol received now is the most up-to-date or am I better off waiting some more?
Thanks!

dirvo85
04-13-12, 02:19
Keep waiting and eventually they'll be plasma weapons. J/k. :-) You should be fine with a current production m&p 45. There's a serial number break down over on mp-pistol.com.

RogerinTPA
04-13-12, 03:54
You're good. Get the mid size .45 if you can. It's about an 1/2 inch shorter with the same 10 round mag cap as the full size. IMHO, the M&P45 and 40 have been GTG from the beginning. They are the most accurate of the series, right out of the box. The full sized 9s have had accuracy issues in the past year or so. I've had those, as well as the FS9 and 9c since early 08. Luckily, I haven't had any accuracy issues with any of them, except finding good straight eight sights for the FS9 initially.

Dos Cylindros
04-13-12, 10:47
I beleive the last update to the M&P 45 was to the guns manufactured after September of 2010. I'm assuming the one at you dealer is good to go. I have a full size M&P 45 as my home defense gun and I LOVE it. I carry an M&P 40 on duty and to me, the M&P 45 is still a better shooter than the 40. I love the 40 as well, but the 45 is my favorite. I have had no issues with either gun, and neither has ever malfunctioned on me. I also have several of the extended 14 round mags for the 45 and I have not run into the spring bending issue others have had. Pick up the 45, I doubt you will regret it.

avengd7x
04-13-12, 11:58
I picked up another fs m & p 9 and the test fire date was from mid March 2012. makes me think it's got all the latest changes. I actually like the trigger too, breaks as cleanly or better than my glocks, also feels cleaner than my other m & p from 2010

JML2321
04-13-12, 12:35
Why get the mid size over the full size?

Dos Cylindros
04-13-12, 15:39

Alot of people find the mid size the best balanced of the three M&P 45 choices. Hilton Yam did a review of all three options a while back and his hands down choice was the mid size. It gives you just a bit better comfort during IWB carry and won't poke out as easily during OWB carry and still offers a full size grip frame for sure handling. I love my full size, but if I had it to do over again I would opt for the mid size as well.

OldState
04-13-12, 20:20

I have a FS on order. I went with it for a HD and game gun.

However, I almost bought the compact.

The mid size is popular here but it doesn't make sence to me when you can get a compact and use 10 rounders with the new x grip extension for $12.

Then you have the mid size barrel and the option of short or standard grip.

Am I missing something?

dirvo85
04-13-12, 20:49
I have a FS on order. I went with it for a HD and game gun.

However, I almost bought the compact.

The mid size is popular here but it doesn't make sence to me when you can get a compact and use 10 rounders with the new x grip extension for $12.

Then you have the mid size barrel and the option of short or standard grip.

Am I missing something?
So you're saying that the M&P 45 to have is the compact? Just confused on the way it's worded. I'm a big fan of the concept of a compact with x-grips.

OldState
04-13-12, 21:07
So you're saying that the M&P 45 to have is the compact? Just confused on the way it's worded. I'm a big fan of the concept of a compact with x-grips.

What I'm saying is that I don't see the point of the mid size. I personally would either get the Full Size or the compact (because of the x grip option)....or both.

The slide and barrel on the mid and compact are the same. The compact frame doesn't have the beaver tale .

JML2321
04-13-12, 21:15
I have been on the fence about whether to go FS or mid. Most likely mid size but the .5 difference just seems logical to go with the full size. Decisions. :confused:

Dos Cylindros
04-13-12, 22:11
One other option to explore is to get the full size, and then next get the compact. Then you have three guns in one, as the slide from the full size and the compact can be switched from gun to gun. You can make a mid size M&P 45 out of your full size, and you can make a long slide out of your compact. I used to own the compact and gifted it to my father so I have tested this and it works perfectally. Plus it's an excuse to buy another gun which is always good.

denn1911
04-14-12, 19:53
Although I have a mid-size M&P45, I carry my full-size daily. I have no problems concealing it in a tight to the body, OWB kydex holster. I've carried the mid-size for several months, but I gravitated back to the full-size.

OldState
04-15-12, 09:32
For a frame of reference, the FS is almost exactly yet the same size as a FS 1911 in every dimension. I doubt this was coincidence. The mid size is thier version of the commander. If you have not already, ask for one to compare if they have it.

If you think you could conceal a 5" 1911 than you can conceal the FS M&P.

I never understood commander sized 1911's either which is why I own a Govt model and 4" compact with the officers grip.

stmcelroy
04-15-12, 23:51
I bought a NOS S&W M&P Compact in .45acp this week and can't be happier with it. The gun has a Apex Duty kit installed and the accuracy pleasantly surprised me.

Previously i had a 4.5" M&P 45 and I prefer shooting this gun, could be the trigger but overall it just feels better in my hands.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/stmcelroy/Guns/IMG_9991.jpg