PDA

View Full Version : Barrel contour and suppressors

Chase45
04-13-12, 09:12
Im really trying to lighten my 12.5 up just a bit.

As of now its got a 12.5 WOA barrel that is a medium contour barrel.

Im thinking about going to a light weight barrel to save a little bit more weight out front.

Is this a bad idea? Or am I overthinking the matter.

Also who makes a 12.5 light weight barrel that would be good to go for a suppressor if I end up going this route

rob_s
04-13-12, 09:15
Barrel profile has little to do with cans unless you're taking the can on and off all the time. Theoretically, a less-stiff skinny barrel will be more likely to flex, and flex more, than a thicker-walled barrel when you add an eccentric load on the end of the barrel in the form of a can.

Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone doing a 12.5", A1-profile, barrel but Centurion.
http://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=136

Chase45
04-13-12, 09:21
Yea their about the only ones I have found as well. I think DD makes one.

Its a dedicated suppressed set up. Can only comes off for transport and cleaning. I have only shot a couple rounds unsuppressed since I got the suppressor.

Just wanting to make sure there wasnt something I didnt know about light weight barrels and suppressors not playing well together or something

munch520
04-13-12, 09:25
What stock do you have? Overall weight doesn't matter as much to me as balance. We were shooting last week and a buddy with a 'MK18' was complaining about how heavy his was (w/ AAC M42000 I believe). I took off his MOE and put my emod on there. He couldn't believe the difference. YMMV.

Chase45
04-13-12, 09:30
Had a UBR on it. Im switching over to a CTR

Yea it was balanced, but damn its a pig with the UBR on it. Having a almost 12 pound SBR is a little crazy.

I have a m4 stock on it for now until the UPS man shows up. While its more front heavy, I really am already liking the weight savings.

I need a new barrel regardless as this barrel is reaching its end. Thats why I am dabbling around the idea of buying a light weight barrel this time around.

I also realize I could switch out some accessories to make it less front heavy, but I already have stupid money into this thing and dont really want to replace any accessories at the moment, but a new barrel is needed

Rifle

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_5760.jpg