PDA

View Full Version : FINE! I'LL GET A .22!

Vapor Trail
04-13-12, 13:47
Due to the cynicism and lack of open-mindedness of some of the forum members here, I've decided to take their advice, refine my basics and purchase a .22 LR pistol. If it's true that you're supposed to shoot 100 rounds of .22 for every one round of a big-boy caliber, then I guess I've been missing out. I was think about the Ruger 22/45 Lite Pistol.

http://ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html

Any thoughts or suggestions?

B1911
04-13-12, 13:49
Nice choice. If you're a big 1911 guy, check out guns such as the GSG 1911 .22. Full size 1911, my new fav for cheap trigger time.

Grizzly16
04-13-12, 13:51
What is your goal for the .22 pistol? To be come more proficient with something else I'm guessing. If so do they make a .22 version of the "big boy" gun you want. For example the M&P 22 would be a good trainer if you were looking at the M&P9 for your gun to be.

Personally if you have the money to practice with 9mm I'd say just get the big gun.

JHC
04-13-12, 14:07
You will never regret a quality .22 LR pistol. Those Rugers have a cult following for sure. I like .22LR DA revolvers a lot for training the hardest trigger pull to master - the long heavy DA.

mallowpufft
04-13-12, 14:19
Can't beat the Ruger action. I've got Mark I's, II's and III's. They're durable as hell and I regularly use mine on squirrels out to 25 yards.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Texas42
04-13-12, 14:28
I was all set to get a ruger Mark III bull barrel, but after handling the Browning buckmark camper, I'm very happy I bought it instead.

Lots of great options. I'm not going to say mine is better than the mark III (costs are too similar to worry about) and I'm sure I'd have been happy with the mark III.

But I LOVE shooting 500 rounds for less than a box of 9mm luger.

Get extra magazines and a magazine loader (mine works pretty good and saves a sore thumb).

okie john
04-13-12, 14:57
If so do they make a .22 version of the "big boy" gun you want.

True.

Also look at conversion kits. There are a few for the Glock, and several for the 1911.

Okie John

brickboy240
04-13-12, 16:43
I have owned and heavily shot a 5.5" bull barreled 22-45 for going on 10 years now.

Great pistol. Accurate and reliable with most rounds I feed it. Even likes the cheapo 550rd bulk pack stuff from Wal Mart.

I give the 22-45 a nod....the thing is big fun and has never given me a lick of trouble.

- brickboy240

glockeyed
04-13-12, 17:35
every man should own a ruger MK series.

esp since there is the ultimate clip loader.

kwelz
04-13-12, 21:12
Hard to go wrong with a Mk I, II, or III. I just picked up a Mk III to host my suppressor on.

Failure2Stop
04-13-12, 21:22
Due to the cynicism and lack of open-mindedness of some of the forum members here, I've decided to take their advice, refine my basics and purchase a .22 LR pistol.

Why?

The best way to get good at riding a horse is to ride a horse, not a rocking horse.

I can name several reasons to own a good .22, but it is not necessary to become good with a pistol. I would recommend investing the cost of a new pistol into a class from a reputable instructor.

eo500
04-13-12, 21:48
Can't beat the Ruger action. I've got Mark I's, II's and III's. They're durable as hell and I regularly use mine on squirrels out to 25 yards.

Mallow, what do you prefer, the Mark I, II, or III? I'm thinking of getting one and was leaning towards the I or II because some of the old-timers at the club say they are better. I've only shot my uncle's Mark I and would like to hear from someone who has all three. Thanks

FSTRN
04-13-12, 21:55
1. You will never regret having a great-shooting .22 pistol. The Ruger 22/45 is a great-shooting .22 pistol.

2. Soon enough, you will find a convenient excuse...and sufficient funds...to purchase the centerfire pistol of your choice. May I recommend the excellent Glock 19?

3. You will still have that great-shooting .22 pistol. Keep it. Love it. Shoot it like crazy. Teach your grandchildren with it.

Gem1950
04-13-12, 22:15
You can frequently find a nice older 4" standard or Mk1 at a pawn shop for cheap or at gun shows. They're great pointing little pistols.

A few years ago I found one at a gun show for 60.00 that needed some love. I sent it to Ruger and for 30.00 they replaced all the bad parts and returned it shooting like new. Ya can't beat that.

mallowpufft
04-13-12, 22:48
Mallow, what do you prefer, the Mark I, II, or III? I'm thinking of getting one and was leaning towards the I or II because some of the old-timers at the club say they are better. I've only shot my uncle's Mark I and would like to hear from someone who has all three. Thanks

I love my MKI@ but they are picky as hell with bulk ammo. Loves CCI mini mags, though.
I personal don't mind the lawyered up MKIII guns. Mine is the "hunter" model circa 2006. Stainless, cocobolo grips, 6 3/4" fluted barrel with recessed crown. It's my favorite.
I like the MKII for prices, though they are pricier in certain markets due to lack of lawyer features (loaded chamber indicator, etc).
I need to get two more MKII's. One just for a donor frame for a threaded Tac-Sol super light weight upper and a slab side government model. Possibly the sexiest semi auto .22 pistol short of the internally suppressed models.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_MK_II#section_2

If you look hard you can find a polymer framed version that Magnum Research used to put out that holds 15 rounds. I found one used a few years back for $150 bucks and gave it to my Dad. Still kicking myself over that.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

Frailer
04-13-12, 22:55
...I can name several reasons to own a good .22, but it is not necessary to become good with a pistol. I would recommend investing the cost of a new pistol into a class from a reputable instructor.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Is a .22 *necessary*? Of course not. But you can learn a great deal shooting a .22. You might even screw up and accidentally have a little fun.

Tzook
04-13-12, 23:08
There is so much butthurt in this thread.....

You do need a .22. It will make you better.

anthony1
04-14-12, 01:13
l dont think a 22 pistol will help you with much other than the basics. I've shot 22 pistols since l was a kid and l still had/have to practice with centerfire calibers to be sufficient with centerfire handguns.

22s are great for alot of reasons but l dont think there a necessity or can replace training with a centerfire caliber. lf your goal is to get really good, you will still have to practice with what you want to be really good with.

PrevailFI
04-14-12, 06:48
1. You will never regret having a great-shooting .22 pistol. The Ruger 22/45 is a great-shooting .22 pistol.

2. Soon enough, you will find a convenient excuse...and sufficient funds...to purchase the centerfire pistol of your choice. May I recommend the excellent Glock 19?

3. You will still have that great-shooting .22 pistol. Keep it. Love it. Shoot it like crazy. Teach your grandchildren with it.

Roger that - and...

4. Get an Advantage Arms 22 conversion kit for that G19.

GT Distributors has had them in stock pretty reliably for the last few months.

RogerinTPA
04-14-12, 08:30
Due to the cynicism and lack of open-mindedness of some of the forum members here, I've decided to take their advice, refine my basics and purchase a .22 LR pistol. If it's true that you're supposed to shoot 100 rounds of .22 for every one round of a big-boy caliber, then I guess I've been missing out. I was think about the Ruger 22/45 Lite Pistol.

http://ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html

Any thoughts or suggestions?

If that is the case, you can do that with a BB or pellet gun. A .22 is nice to have, but it won't help you with controlling and mitigating the recoil of any pistol other than a .22. You should be practicing the basics and getting rounds on target accurately...regardless of caliber. After all, isn't that the ultimate goal we all strive to achieve? Buying a quality pistol of the caliber that you are most comfortable with, and most likely end up being your carry or home defense piece, should be your starting point. It's why I shoot far more pistol than carbine rounds when I go to the range. The chances of anyone of us using a pistol for any practical defensive reason, is much higher than using a carbine in a real life encounter. As F2S mentioned, get basic and advance instruction from a reputable instructor, then practice what you've learned until you can put rounds accurately on target, on demand. Continue to seek instruction and hone those skills.

Gem1950
04-14-12, 08:57

Is a .22 *necessary*? Of course not. But you can learn a great deal shooting a .22. You might even screw up and accidentally have a little fun.

+1 ... Practicing or just having fun with a .22 pistol, or rifle, does not negate learned shooting skills with a centerfire. One might even argue the opposite is true, especially for the novice shooter.

Dionysusigma
04-14-12, 13:13
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but my platform of choice is the Sig P2x series, so I purchased a Sig Mosquito a couple of years ago. With halfway-decent ammo (read: Federal Game-Shok) it's never failed, is accurate, and a heck of a lot of fun. The controls are identical (though size isn't) and only starts to get finicky when it goes through ~250 rounds without cleaning, which is easily fixed by a quick wipe of the feed ramp and under the extractor hook.

Regarding the original sentiment of the thread, you can ask for recommendations from everyone on the forum, and you'll get bits of advice that are mutually exclusive. In the end, if you can afford it, it helps you, and you enjoy it, that's all that matters. :)

Failure2Stop
04-14-12, 13:36

There is so much butthurt in this thread.....

You do need a .22. It will make you better.

I think some people are reading my post as more hostile than I intended (which was intended to be "not hostile at all").

I absolutely agree that .22s are a lot of fun, it's a cheap way to shoot, and all fundamental shooting is a good thing.

However, my point is that you don't need to get another pistol to get good with your "real" pistol. The skills that make for a good practical shooter of service caliber pistols cannot be mastered with a .22. If you can buy a new pistol and still be able to comfortably buy a few thousand rounds of ammo for your defensive firearm (for class and practice) and take a class from a good instructor, crack on.

Frailer
04-14-12, 13:48
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but my platform of choice is the Sig P2x series, so I purchased a Sig Mosquito a couple of years ago. With halfway-decent ammo (read: Federal Game-Shok) it's never failed, is accurate, and a heck of a lot of fun...

I don't think I *fully* appreciated the value of a .22 as a training tool until I purchased a 2" S&W Model 63.

I bought it as a "fun gun," as I love snubbies and rimfires, but I noticed that putting many hundreds of rounds through it has made me a better shooter with my bigger-bore J-frames.

Could I have reaped even greater benefits if I'd fired a couple thousand extra rounds of .38 +Ps through my carry guns instead? Certainly. But it would have taken significantly more time and money, too.

I'm not contradicting those like F2S who view working with a .22 as training to ride a horse by riding a rocking horse; their points are valid. I just think we have a difference in perspective.

Fortunately, my "range" is roughly 25 meters from my back door, so when I shoot my .22 handguns I'm not wasting otherwise valuable "range time." Some folks spend a spare half hour after dinner dry-firing in their den; I take a short walk and ping some steel. And that's how I view shooting my .22s: as a way to augment my dry-fire practice, not as a substitute for shooting my centerfires.

ETA: F2S posted while I was typing. We are in agreement, and I'm beating a dead rocking-horse, so I'll shut up now. ;)

denn1911
04-14-12, 19:18
A .22 can be a nice supplement to a defensive handgun. I don't have any conversion kits, but I can see their advantages. I use my .22's for plinking on steel and having fun. It can be a nice break from my regimented defensive drills.

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-14-12, 19:59
Just thinking back when I first started shooting, if I had taken the cash for the first 500 rounds of center-fire and instead shot 5000-10,000 rounds of 22lr, how much better of a shooter I would be. Especially coupled with proper training.

Yes there is less recoil, but there is still recoil. I played hookey from work friday and used a bay at the range to do some pistol work with a lot of work between 2011s in 40Sw and with a conversion kit. One thing that I think would really help with new shooters is trigger control (especially reset) and watching the sights. Two things that I don't think BB guns really simulate very well.

I think the Rugers are excellent guns to learn on. Conversion kits are good, but they seem to be hit or miss on reliability.

A 60 degree sunny day a a brick of 22lr and a target bay all to myself to practice anything I wanted. All I needed was someone to load mags for me and I'd be in nirvana.

MegademiC
04-15-12, 00:35
Its kinda funny reading the different responses and how people handle stuff. I'll throw in my 2cents. Im no expert, and have owned 1 handgun, but think that I used what I know and knew at the time to the best advantage, so I'll share it for a different view.

I was told to get a .22. I didnt. I got a .40 which is - according to the internet, the hardest service cartridge to master. My theory was that if I can get .40 down, the rest is solid. Trigger control was taken care of by dry fireing and mixing snap caps in with live rounds as a check. Sight alignment was done by practicing, but I have average rifle background as well(capable, but not "good" by any means) but I think that helped quite a bit. If its your first gun ever, a .22 might be a good idea.

If you want to get bullseye accurate .22 may be the way to go, but to quickly get "combat" or ccw or whatever you want to call it... accurate, I think sticking with a service caliber is best as every shot forces recoil control and sight tracking into your head. Thats what live fire is for.

That said, there is a whole thread in the training forum I think that you should read. Talks about how to build up your skills, and what builds on top of what. Dont even try to get fast till you're shooting decent groups at 25 or your wasting time IMO.

kenshomi
04-19-12, 20:27
Love the .22lr - IT's always nice to have around for a new shooter - plus 'basics' are never perfected. one more tool in the box.

Littlelebowski
04-20-12, 19:42
You guys are wasting your time. This is a kid that's never going to get anything. Search his posts.

Mauser KAR98K
04-21-12, 01:37
I was looking at one of these today.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764904_-1_757751_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Since I already have a Ruger MKII (got it when i was 7 years old), I can look forward now. :laugh:

3 AE
04-21-12, 02:17
You guys are wasting your time. This is a kid that's never going to get anything. Search his posts.

My God, you're so right. They're here and everywhere else. The telltale signs are there and yet we choose to ignore our gut instincts and dogpile on trying to get our posts in. I'm guilty. :suicide2: