PDA

View Full Version : Bad barrel extensions

Ned Christiansen
04-13-12, 18:30
A small boutique manufacturer came to me to do some machining on some barrel extensions they had. The flange was up to .005 out of parallel! The guy told me this and I said, no way, that would be hard to do if you tried, let alone out of carelessness.

He presented me with six of them and indeed-- there was one that was actually .006 out.

How did they discover it? Torquing a barrel in, the fore end was on so crooked they could see it instantly.

Nice stuff. the guy told me whose product it was but wasn't really sure so I won't name the name.

SteadyUp
04-13-12, 22:52
Now I'm curious as to who made the barrel extensions...

Ned Christiansen
04-13-12, 23:20
Well, since he was not 100% sure it would not be right for me to say who he thought it was.

The extensions were pretty nicely made, otherwise. The surfaces that were finished after heat treat were machined rather than ground. As the locking surface was faced, this threw a burr into the pass-through cuts for bolt lugs but it probably would not actually impede anything.... probably. At a glance it looked like the corner breaks at the junction of the pass-throughs and the locking surface were hobbed in, that is, formed by just displacing the metal. The metal thus moved, moved into the pass-through, narrowing it up a bit.

The front face had been faced post-heat-treat, but the back side of the flange was left not cleaned up. It was here that the out of parallel condition was.

Point is, low quality can be anywhere..... I confess to never having looked here before! The corresponding face on the upper, yes, but not the barrel extension. I'll darn sure check every one now.

SteadyUp
04-14-12, 07:44
No, I agree, it wouldn't be right to release the name if you are not 100% certain on the identity. You're sure right about bad quality being anywhere though.

MarkG
04-14-12, 07:55
What machining were you going to do to the extension?

steelonsteel
04-14-12, 10:03
so many manfuacturers are literally months behind now that many are rushed - and rush jobs are showing cracks in the quality. I've been looking at lots of differant type of guns here in the last couple weeks and seen small issues - some cosmetic, some not - that wouldn't have flown 5 years go. now becasue of the huge demand it's "OK" to some [not me]. point being, I'm sort of scared to buy anything at the moment - who knows what you'll get?!?!

Ned Christiansen
04-14-12, 10:11
What machining were you going to do to the extension?

Just truing up the back side of the flange.

MarkG
04-14-12, 10:21
Just truing up the back side of the flange.

Somebody has money to burn...

feedramp
04-14-12, 12:15
so many manfuacturers are literally months behind now that many are rushed - and rush jobs are showing cracks in the quality. I've been looking at lots of differant type of guns here in the last couple weeks and seen small issues - some cosmetic, some not - that wouldn't have flown 5 years go. now becasue of the huge demand it's "OK" to some [not me]. point being, I'm sort of scared to buy anything at the moment - who knows what you'll get?!?!
Yep, it's definitely a concern and crossed my mind too. =\

Tweak
04-15-12, 20:04
I ran into it several times over the years but most often it was the feed ramps being mis-located in relation to the alinement pin hole.