PDA

View Full Version : Firing 5.56 in a .223 rifle

kal0220
04-13-12, 20:34
If I use a chamber reamer and ensure the chamber is sized for 5.56, is there any issue with shooting 5.56 in a bolt action rifle?

I went with the .223 bolt action so I can share ammo with the AR. Some of my AR ammo is true 5.56 and I would feel better if I can reliable interchange all ammo for all rifles.

orkan
04-13-12, 20:50
It'll be fine.

bp7178
04-13-12, 21:44
If you ream the chamber to 5.56 dimensions, it will be ok, but why would you want to?

A bolt action with a .223 chamber is very accurate, and it won't be as accurate with a 5.56 chamber due to the longer free bore.

You'd be much better off just switching both platforms to .223.

orkan
04-14-12, 00:17
Factory remington .223 rifles are throated so damn deep that you can hardly ever load into the lands even if you wanted to. I'm reasonably certain that he would be just fine firing 5.56 out of his bolt gun chambered in .223. I've never tried it... as I've never had the need.

However, he already told us he plans to ream the bolt gun with a 5.56 reamer and he already told us why he wanted to do this:

He has a 5.56 AR, and 5.56 ammo for it... and wants to be able to shoot that ammo in his bolt gun. If he wants to shoot 5.56, that is his prerogative. Unless I missed something, he didn't ask "or should I just switch both rifles to .223?"

Failure2Stop
04-14-12, 02:19
Functionally, you're fine.
What you may see is a decrease in precision.
What twist rate is the bolt gun barrel?
Most mass produced 5.56 is far below the precision capability of more bolt-gun specific .223 ammo.
If you really want to shoot 5.56 in your bolt gun, you are probably fine with a .223 chamber since the firing rate is much slower and more dedicated. I would simply fire a few rounds and check for overpressure signs before reaming.

bp7178
04-14-12, 08:27
Ammunition loaded to 5.56mm pressure is generally not as accurate as comparable .223 pressure stuff.

I don't want to say its a waste of a bolt-gun to shoot XM193 or the like through it but common solutions tend to make compromises.

Just beacause you have a 5.56mm chamber on your AR15 you aren't married to using 5.56mm exclusively in it.

I'm well aware of what the OP asked and I offered another path that could be taken which meets near the same goals. So slow a bit and pump the brakes. No need for the hostility.

kal0220
04-14-12, 09:26
Just beacause you have a 5.56mm chamber on your AR15 you aren't married to using 5.56mm exclusively in it.

I'm well aware of what the OP asked and I offered another path that could be taken which meets near the same goals. So slow a bit and pump the brakes. No need for the hostility.

I'm just looking to see if it's possible to shoot ammo without concern as to whether its .223 and 5.56. I know you can "step down" to 223 with no issue, but "stepping up" to 5.56 can be.

I don't think he was being hostile, just pointing out that I was asking about feasibility of shooting 5.56 in it.

I have no intention of switching both to 223 when I already have a few thousand 5.56 rounds.

Functionally, you're fine.
What you may see is a decrease in precision.
What twist rate is the bolt gun barrel?
Most mass produced 5.56 is far below the precision capability of more bolt-gun specific .223 ammo.
If you really want to shoot 5.56 in your bolt gun, you are probably fine with a .223 chamber since the firing rate is much slower and more dedicated. I would simply fire a few rounds and check for overpressure signs before reaming.

The twist rate is 1:9. I didn't think about the loss of precision by shooting 5.56 or reaming. I'll fire a few rounds like you suggested. If I see any signs of, I'll just make sure I only put 223 through it.

Factory remington .223 rifles are throated so damn deep that you can hardly ever load into the lands even if you wanted to. I'm reasonably certain that he would be just fine firing 5.56 out of his bolt gun chambered in .223. I've never tried it... as I've never had the need.

However, he already told us he plans to ream the bolt gun with a 5.56 reamer and he already told us why he wanted to do this:

He has a 5.56 AR, and 5.56 ammo for it... and wants to be able to shoot that ammo in his bolt gun. If he wants to shoot 5.56, that is his prerogative. Unless I missed something, he didn't ask "or should I just switch both rifles to .223?"

I guess I should clarify. The 5.56 won't be primary but just to make sure it'll work safely in case I do have to tap into my reserve.

Ned Christiansen
04-14-12, 10:08
There'll be no safety issue. As to a decrease in accuracy, I'd love to see some carefully arrived-at comparative groups. I don't think it's going to make that much dif.

If you were to ream it to .223 Wylde, you might have the best of both worlds. It's tighter in the freebore than 5.56, and longer. In before and after testing, I have found an identifiable increase in accuracy with many loads, and a statistically insignificant change to the better/less better with others.

Failure2Stop
04-14-12, 13:06
There'll be no safety issue. As to a decrease in accuracy, I'd love to see some carefully arrived-at comparative groups. I don't think it's going to make that much dif.

If you were to ream it to .223 Wylde, you might have the best of both worlds. It's tighter in the freebore than 5.56, and longer. In before and after testing, I have found an identifiable increase in accuracy with many loads, and a statistically insignificant change to the better/less better with others.

I defer to this perspective.

fn1889m
04-15-12, 15:27
It should not be a problem to ream the chamber to 5.56, or to ream the throat, but I agree that a factory Remington barrel is will most likely shoot both .223 and 5.56 safely. I would try it first, before using a reamer. Less is more.

If and when you rebarrel the rifle, if you use a premium barrel you might have this issue, but you probably don't with a factory barrel. Remington is covering its a-- by assuming people will shoot both .223 and 5.56, and making allowance for it at the factory.

MOA
04-20-12, 18:32
Put tons of 5.56 thru 223 chambered bolt guns with no problems, but I would still check to make sure.
Generally 5.56 mil surplus ammo is not loaded for the best accuracy. I have seen groups from 1" at 100 yards from a custom bolt gun(was just shooting the ammo for the brass and trigger time) to 3" depending on the lot. Still good to work on trigger control and fun to shoot.

TehLlama
04-20-12, 23:00
My only reason to suggest running the .223 over it is the relative affordability of the more accurate loads all being the .223 loadings (BH 69gr, and even the PPU 69gr).

Kokopelli
04-20-12, 23:07
I've shot a few thousand 5.56mm rounds in Mini-14's and Sako bolt rifles. Never noticed a difference.. JME.. Ron

Ned Christiansen
04-21-12, 09:47
I've had many inquiries about reaming Mini 14's from .223 to 5.56. Good news: Mini's seem to be the opposite of AR's-- with AR's whether it's marked .223 or 5.56 on the barrel, a great many are reamed .223. With Mini's it seems they are all marked .223, and I have never gaged one that was not 5.56! That's good because my reamer and handle are made pretty much with the AR15 in mind, although I've reamed some Remington 700's after turning down the centering feature on the handle.

As I reread my above post, I see I worded it poorly. I did not mean to say I have done .223 SAAMI-to-.223 Wylde before and after testing. The before and after I have done was with the reamer I offer, which is not a .223 Wylde chamber, it is a "generous" 5.56. I have not found it a detriment to accuracy and have never had anyone else tell me it was.

sandsunsurf
05-03-12, 00:17
I've fired federal xm193 through my Remington 700 LTR, with no signs of pressure. You can tell a difference in recoil, and I don't do it anymore, but it was safe for me.

jared91
05-03-12, 11:58
I am sorry for the thread jack, but are you saying the newer mini's are safe to fire 5.56 from? say, pmc bronze, wolf steel, AE, ect ect

Ned Christiansen
05-03-12, 20:11
As far as I know there is no AE 5.56 although the same company does make 5.56. Wolf makes no 5.56 that I've seen, not sure about PMC but I think everything of theirs is .223.

And all I can really say is that every Mini I've gaged was 5.56. But that's only been maybe 6-10 examples.

kal0220
05-03-12, 21:09
I tried shooting some 5.56 in it this weekend. No issues with the brass or operation of the rifle. I did notice a bit of change in accuracy, approximately 3" circle at 100 yds. I was making about a 1" circle with the other ammo I'd initially been using. I think I'll just use this as a tool in the tool box and not a standard ammunition for the bolt action. I appreciate all the responses.

maximus83
05-10-12, 01:03
I've had many inquiries about reaming Mini 14's from .223 to 5.56. Good news: Mini's seem to be the opposite of AR's-- with AR's whether it's marked .223 or 5.56 on the barrel, a great many are reamed .223. With Mini's it seems they are all marked .223, and I have never gaged one that was not 5.56! That's good because my reamer and handle are made pretty much with the AR15 in mind, although I've reamed some Remington 700's after turning down the centering feature on the handle.

Ned I owned a Mini-14 about 4 or 5 years ago, and with the modern ones at least (the ones since 2005), they are chambered for 5.56. Kind of interesting, I guess their modern 'target' Mini-14 (now, THAT is a funny concept to me--a TARGET Mini) are chambered for .223 only. Found it in their current manual:

"The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH rifles are offered in two calibers: the .223 Remington (5.56mm) cartridge and the 6.8mm Remington SPC cartridge. The Target Model uses .223 Remington cartridges only.

I'm guessing that perhaps the pre-2005 models were .223 only? Not sure as I never owned the older models.

maximus83
05-10-12, 01:09
This thread is interesting as I had a while back purchased a Tikka T3 stainless bolt action in .223. Not only do I love the trigger, action, and accuracy of this rifle, it also has one rather unique trait: the barrel has a 1/8 twist. I haven't found see too many factory production .223 bolt guns with that twist rate in the barrel, which means it should be able to handle bullets that are heavier than typical varmint loads.

Based on the discussion here, I would like to try putting a few of my heavier 5.56 factory loads (such as 75gr Hornady) through the Tikka. Unless somebody thinks that would create a safety issue?