PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Say "Thank God" For The Membership Here...

SteyrAUG
04-13-12, 23:45
It's been a week that has tested me.

First it was the late night run to Walgreens to buy milk at 11:30 pm because by the time I did all the more important stuff the regular grocery stores were closed and then coming home with milk that had expiration dates from two weeks ago. I was wiped out and simply trusted them and didn't feel like pulling out my reading glasses to do their job and make sure they weren't selling expired milk.

Then it was Wal Mart charging me 6 times what they were supposed to charge for my prescriptions because the employee was simply too lazy to compare the TWO discount plans I pay for because one is cheaper on some things and the other one is cheaper on others. This of course means when I get home and do the math I realize the error and have to go back to Wal Mart and make the people there do their jobs correctly.

Then it was spending 18 minutes behind one car in the bank drive thru as the moron sent the tube back and forth 4 times before they successfully accomplished their banking transaction. People that incompetent shouldn't be allowed to have money.

Then it was making the mistake of attempting to make a custom order in a Mexican restaurant and believing the waitress would be capable of understanding "No guacamole and extra cheese" even with her obvious limited grasp of english only to be served a meal covered in guacamole and almost no cheese.

You know...the little things in life where people express the sentiment that they absolutely do not care, nor do they feel it is their job to help you even when it is actually their job to help you.

I used to not understand how a man can end up in a bell tower with a rifle shooting at people. Now it takes deliberate effort on my part to make sure I don't know where any of the local bell towers are.

But despite all the annoyances and incompetence I've suffered from others all week long I knew my Colt 6933 was coming today and that was gonna make it all worth it. That is until I opened the box and saw that stupid god damn Rogers Super Stock on it. Normally it wouldn't have bothered me but I was very specific about making sure the one I ordered would come with a M4 stock and got specific assurances from my supplier that they did have a few and one was set aside for me specifically.

Just a reminder that people don't care and that even when you take steps to address the fact that nobody cares and cover your bases they will still ignore you.

But when I came here looking for the best place to get a factory M4 stock, because I KNOW not to even bother wasting my time trying to get my supplier to correct the issue, I received quite a few very good offers and secured one without having to pay SAW prices.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=103480

Even had a guy offer to send me one for free for the cost of shipping. Great as the offer was I ended up actually buying one from another member because I wanted to get one that was in new condition.

It was so refreshing to have somebody actually care and even solve my problem with a very reasonable deal. I won't say it restored my faith in humanity or anything, but at least I still don't know where the local bell towers are.

:sarcastic:

Packman73
04-14-12, 00:01
Sorry about your week (we had a rough one too) but that is good stuff right there lol.

I used to not understand how a man can end up in a bell tower with a rifle shooting at people. Now it takes deliberate effort on my part to make sure I don't know where any of the local bell towers are.

uwe1
04-14-12, 00:24
Today's "Friday the 13th", and stupidity was running rampant at work...

LHS
04-14-12, 00:46
I have to say, the Rogers Super Stock has benefited me greatly. A co-worker bought one and suddenly found that he didn't need his Magpul MOE stock, so I relieved him of the MOE for a very nice price.

obucina
04-14-12, 00:54

christ! you're tellin' me! My "i have a masters in mental health counseling/bachelors in psychology" friend attempted to justify in belief in Florida's stand your ground legislation until I asked him if he had ever seen the law in print! I knew I should have stayed home and watched the Marlins lose.

SteyrAUG
04-14-12, 02:31
I have to say, the Rogers Super Stock has benefited me greatly. A co-worker bought one and suddenly found that he didn't need his Magpul MOE stock, so I relieved him of the MOE for a very nice price.

Honestly, it is comfortable and actually is tighter. But I don't think that "tighter" does anything appreciable on a 11.5 barrel SBR, especially given the wobble of the handguards and similar play between the upper and lower.

Additionally, I have 30 years of moving the stock the "old way" so it takes me longer to use stocks with the release under the buffer tube. I can see the benefit on things like a 6920 where you are more likely to take a long shot but that really isn't the role of a SBR, or at least not for me.

But it sounds like it was very useful to you. I too love it when something "new" comes out and people start dumping things that are perfectly useful in order to get the "newest and latest."

uwe1
04-14-12, 02:32

First it was the late night run to Walgreens to buy milk at 11:30 pm because by the time I did all the more important stuff the regular grocery stores were closed and then coming home with milk that had expiration dates from two weeks ago. I was wiped out and simply trusted them and didn't feel like pulling out my reading glasses to do their job and make sure they weren't selling expired milk.

Then it was Wal Mart charging me 6 times what they were supposed to charge for my prescriptions because the employee was simply too lazy to compare the TWO discount plans I pay for because one is cheaper on some things and the other one is cheaper on others. This of course means when I get home and do the math I realize the error and have to go back to Wal Mart and make the people there do their jobs correctly.

Then it was spending 18 minutes behind one car in the bank drive thru as the moron sent the tube back and forth 4 times before they successfully accomplished their banking transaction. People that incompetent shouldn't be allowed to have money.

Sorry to hear that about your week...Unfortunately, most weeks are becoming like that for me. Like you, I do a lot of pre-planning and pre-emptive action to cover for people's stupidity or lack of attention to detail. Still it never fails, I'll get someone who chooses to hear the complete opposite of what I say and does the complete opposite of what I instructed them to do. Or best of all, after having a 40 minute consultation with me personally (Yes, I physically time this), and repeating myself three times, and answering every question asked, have someone say that we never covered any of "that" with them.

Most weeks, I can't wait to head out to the range to de-stress.

SW-Shooter
04-14-12, 02:40
I sent something to a member here and just asked for the price to cover shipping to him, which was about 5 bucks. I never heard a "Thanks, I got the part asshole" or anything in that manner.

I don't mind giving but it's ****ed up when the sentiment isn't respected. I've had better luck here than at TOS, but TOS has become something I don't recognize anymore. Thank goodness we have this place.

uwe1
04-14-12, 02:44
I sent something to a member here and just asked for the price to cover shipping to him, which was about 5 bucks. I never heard a "Thanks, I got the part asshole" or anything in that manner.

I don't mind giving but it's ****ed up when the sentiment isn't respected. I've had better luck here than at TOS, but TOS has become something I don't recognize anymore. Thank goodness we have this place.

This country is rapidly becoming filled with impolite, ill-mannered people who have no sense of decency.

I deal with them every day.

Although, keeping in line with the original intent of this thread and not allowing it to degenerate into a "woe is me" bitchfest, I did have a very positive experience with a member here.

A member here offered me a set of Warren Sevigny Competition sights for free. All I had to do was to send shipping money and a pre-addressed envelope. So I did this and threw a $10 bill into the package to cover shipping and his troubles. I received the package with the items and a $5 bill. Shipping turned out to be about $6. I thanked the guy up and down for his generosity. So a couple weeks later, I managed to trade the Warren Tactical sight I had on my G17, which I had replaced with the Sevigny Competition, for a 17 rd Glock magazine and sent it to the guy.

austinN4
04-14-12, 04:32
You know...the little things in life where people express the sentiment that they absolutely do not care, nor do they feel it is their job to help you even when it is actually their job to help you.
Life actually becomes easier if you can accept the fact that most minimum wage employees don't give a shit, which they don't. I have trouble accepting this myself, so I frequently experience the same frustrations you do.

The_War_Wagon
04-14-12, 07:44

I limited my exposure to the world yesterday - it seemed to work well! :D

FromMyColdDeadHand
04-14-12, 09:47
At least you didn't get extra guacamole and cheese with your rifle...

It does amaze me that will unemployment where it is, people in service jobs seem uninterested in their jobs and overwhelmed by them.

Caeser25
04-14-12, 10:31

Then it was making the mistake of attempting to make a custom order in a Mexican restaurant and believing the waitress would be capable of understanding "No guacamole and extra cheese" even with her obvious limited grasp of english only to be served a meal covered in guacamole and almost no cheese.

But despite all the annoyances and incompetence I've suffered from others all week long I knew my Colt 6933 was coming today and that was gonna make it all worth it. That is until I opened the box and saw that stupid god damn Rogers Super Stock on it. Normally it wouldn't have bothered me but I was very specific about making sure the one I ordered would come with a M4 stock and got specific assurances from my supplier that they did have a few and one was set aside for me specifically.

Just a reminder that people don't care and that even when you take steps to address the fact that nobody cares and cover your bases they will still ignore you.

But when I came here looking for the best place to get a factory M4 stock, because I KNOW not to even bother wasting my time trying to get my supplier to correct the issue, I received quite a few very good offers and secured one without having to pay SAW prices.

Even had a guy offer to send me one for free for the cost of shipping. Great as the offer was I ended up actually buying one from another member because I wanted to get one that was in new condition.

It was so refreshing to have somebody actually care and even solve my problem with a very reasonable deal. I won't say it restored my faith in humanity or anything, but at least I still don't know where the local bell towers are.

The guy in line at the bank was probably receiving the same quality customer service, you were :D

Somedays I wonder how some of people manage to get on the right bus, with their shoes on the right foot, and make it to work on time.

It does amaze me that will unemployment where it is, people in service jobs seem uninterested in their jobs and overwhelmed by them.

I politely remind my people that are plenty of people in the unemployment line, or quit looking for work altogether, that will take their job in a heatbeat that bitch day after day or too lazy to actually do their job that get paid for. Nobodys perfect, but someone once said, "Whatever you are or do, be the best at it. That's the best job security there is."

WillBrink
04-14-12, 10:37
This country is rapidly becoming filled with impolite, ill-mannered people who have no sense of decency.

So it's not just my imagination??! :blink:

Voodoo_Man
04-14-12, 11:37
Sounds like a normal day in the land of the sheep...

LHS
04-14-12, 13:01
Honestly, it is comfortable and actually is tighter. But I don't think that "tighter" does anything appreciable on a 11.5 barrel SBR, especially given the wobble of the handguards and similar play between the upper and lower.

Additionally, I have 30 years of moving the stock the "old way" so it takes me longer to use stocks with the release under the buffer tube. I can see the benefit on things like a 6920 where you are more likely to take a long shot but that really isn't the role of a SBR, or at least not for me.

But it sounds like it was very useful to you. I too love it when something "new" comes out and people start dumping things that are perfectly useful in order to get the "newest and latest."

I just wanted it for the rubber butt pad so my stock wouldn't slip. But yeah, I love getting not-quite-the-latest gear for cheap when everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Speaking of which, I need to start looking for used 4MOA T1 Micros...

SteyrAUG
04-14-12, 13:59
Life actually becomes easier if you can accept the fact that most minimum wage employees don't give a shit, which they don't. I have trouble accepting this myself, so I frequently experience the same frustrations you do.

I understand this and accept it to a certain degree. This is why people like us often do so much prep work to allow people to do their job correctly if they would simply find any inclination at all to do so.

Also my expectation standards are much different for a high school part timer than an adult who who is in a position of greater responsibility than toweling off cars as they exist the car wash.

But probably my greatest problem with the whole thing is even when I was in high school, despite the mistakes I would make due to inexperience, I always tried to do my job and knew I would have to make up for inexperience with doing my best to actually care about customers. Even then the flunkies I worked with mystified me and I wondered why they were there.

rojocorsa
04-14-12, 14:18
Too bad one can't just bitch-slap some sense into the people that need it.

MistWolf
04-14-12, 17:52
I must give good customer service every day because as an aviation technician, people's lives depend on me doing so, hundreds of lives at a time, each time they fly on the aircraft I have worked on. It colors how I view the customer service I receive and the customer service I give, in other areas of my life

Javelin
04-14-12, 18:34

http://blogstoryshort.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/milton1.jpg?w=450

http://mlblogscastrovince.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/milton4.jpg?w=300&h=287

No salt. I said No Salt....I Said No Salt On My Margarita

Just had to. Glad things worked out my friend.

:p

Alric
04-14-12, 18:58

On the other hand, it also makes decent people who say thank you stand out even more.

Not difficult to be extraordinary when the average is so low :)

Scoby
04-14-12, 20:26
Steyr...Glad I'm not the only one. :D

I've got a 18yo son that tests my patience and sanity at every turn. I won't go into detail but it has been a looooong week.

SteyrAUG
04-14-12, 20:51
http://blogstoryshort.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/milton1.jpg?w=450

http://mlblogscastrovince.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/milton4.jpg?w=300&h=287

No salt. I said No Salt....I Said No Salt On My Margarita

Just had to. Glad things worked out my friend.

:p

And yes, I won't be leaving a tip, 'cause I could... I could shut this whole resort down. Sir? I'll take my traveler's checks to a competing resort. I could write a letter to your board of tourism and I could have this place condemned. I could put... I could put... strychnine in the guacamole. There was salt on the glass, BIG grains of salt.

Jellybean
04-14-12, 21:44

......., I did have a very positive experience with a member here.

A member here offered me a set of Warren Sevigny Competition sights for free. All I had to do was to send shipping money and a pre-addressed envelope. So I did this and threw a $10 bill into the package to cover shipping and his troubles. I received the package with the items and a $5 bill. Shipping turned out to be about $6. I thanked the guy up and down for his generosity. So a couple weeks later, I managed to trade the Warren Tactical sight I had on my G17, which I had replaced with the Sevigny Competition, for a 17 rd Glock magazine and sent it to the guy.

You got that right! People suck.

On the bright side, I had a thing like that happen here too- I was selling some parts, and I was waiting for one of the buyers to send payment before sending the item. When I got the money, I noticed it was like 5 bucks over what we had agreed on, so I PM'd him to find out. As it was cash I figured he'd just thrown in one bill to many. He said it was for taking a little long to send the payment out. I was like :blink:
Shocker.

.......I politely remind my people that are plenty of people in the unemployment line, or quit looking for work altogether, that will take their job in a heatbeat that bitch day after day or too lazy to actually do their job that get paid for. Nobodys perfect, but someone once said, "Whatever you are or do, be the best at it. That's the best job security there is."

......But probably my greatest problem with the whole thing is even when I was in high school, despite the mistakes I would make due to inexperience, I always tried to do my job and knew I would have to make up for inexperience with doing my best to actually care about customers. Even then the flunkies I worked with mystified me and I wondered why they were there.

OMG- don't even get me started on this.
You have no idea how frustrating it is (well, maybe some of you do) to be in the employment situation I am in, and experience this type of bullshit constantly. There is not much of a bigger slap in the face than walking into a place that you were unable to gain employment, and seeing the people that they did pick to do the same job not give a flying fornication, knowing that you could do twice the job they're doing while hopping on a pogo stick.
Makes one want to pull his hair out, then join Steyr in that bell tower....:p

feedramp
04-14-12, 21:56

Seriously, given how many skilled people are out of work, you'd think service would improve in this type of economy, not degrade the way it has. Better skilled people are available to do the job right.

uwe1
04-15-12, 11:22
Seriously, given how many skilled people are out of work, you'd think service would improve in this type of economy, not degrade the way it has. Better skilled people are available to do the job right.

Yes you would think, but there are so many laws to protect the incompetent and non-producing workers.

At the place I work, there's a guy making about $20 per hour, with some very generous benefits. Instead of busting his ass to make money, he routinely calls in sick (20%-30% of the time) and is protected under FMLA. Meanwhile, people that are friends with him see that while he is supposed to be "sick", he's posting on Facebook about getting tattoos and going on vacations. Not to mention, he's got four kids and is collecting government assistance. Whenever he pulls one of these absences, the entire department is swamped, trying to cover the shortage in manpower. Unfortunately, because these absences are so regular, we're now overstaffing just in case.

There's another guy, whose productivity, tracked by number of people helped per day, is 30-40% (less than half as productive) of our most productive worker. They both get the same pay.

SteyrAUG
04-17-12, 18:22
And suddenly everything was right in the world...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/SteyrAUG/000000001673.jpg

God was in his heaven and I had a non gay buttstock on my Colt rifle.

SeriousStudent
04-17-12, 21:52
That SBR would make even Walt Kowalski smile. :)

SteyrAUG
04-17-12, 22:07
That SBR would make even Walt Kowalski smile. :)

Now I just need a compass for the stock.

:D

rojocorsa
04-17-12, 22:40
I am also pleased with the way this Colt turned out. :D

SeriousStudent
04-17-12, 23:22
Now I just need a compass for the stock.

:D

Let me go look in the garage. I'm an old guy with a lot of tools.

SteyrAUG
04-18-12, 00:22
Let me go look in the garage. I'm an old guy with a lot of tools.

I'm hoping you are just playing along and the "Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock" joke didn't sail over your head.

LHS
04-18-12, 02:23
There's another guy, whose productivity, tracked by number of people helped per day, is 30-40% (less than half as productive) of our most productive worker. They both get the same pay.

My old company did that. The new CIO decided that the entire IT department was over-sold on their yearly reviews (nevermind that I was an entire year behind on getting mine, ergo I was a year behind on my raise). So the new CIO decrees that everyone will get 'Meets Expectations' and a 1% raise that year, regardless of how hard they work (except for the management team he brought in with him, they all got "Consistently Exceeds Expectations" and large raises and bonuses). Then he tells us that our personnel, who routinely are expected to work weekends, holidays, and after hours, are the problem, rather than the inability of management to decide on anything regarding priorities or technology. And guess what happened?

Over the next two years, nearly everyone who could bail out, did so, often taking a pay cut to move to another company in a shitty economy. I got lucky and made a more or less lateral shift to a new job, which turned into a far more pleasant work experience that involved fewer hours and more money. People occasionally ask me if my old company is worth their time, and I universally tell them hell no.

SeriousStudent
04-18-12, 22:59
I'm hoping you are just playing along and the "Red Ryder BB gun with a compass in the stock" joke didn't sail over your head.

I am playing along.

But I probably DO have a Red Ryder BB gun in the garage. A compass in the stock, a 200-shot reservoir, and I will not put my eye out with it, either.

Cincinnatus
04-19-12, 09:26
I do have a compass of the right size, and it's even sexier than the Rogers stock. :jester:

PaulL
04-19-12, 16:36
In July, I'm going to post extra photos of my 6933 just to torture you guys. So many Rogers wacky stock haters! :jester: