PDA

View Full Version : 22 years ago this month...

WillBrink
04-14-12, 09:44
22 years ago this month, Voyager 1, about 4 billion miles away, turned around and took its last photo of Earth. Carl Sagan wrote this about that photo, putting everything in perspective...WOW..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvhWS0qm2dU&feature=player_embedded#!

The_War_Wagon
04-14-12, 10:13
And Almighty God remembered to make me too. How amazing, that He should lavish such effort, on us. :D

kwelz
04-14-12, 14:14
22 years ago this month, Voyager 1, about 4 billion miles away, turned around and took its last photo of Earth. Carl Sagan wrote this about that photo, putting everything in perspective...WOW..

Kind of brings the point home. In the grand scheme we are tiny, almost insignificant. But we are all we have for now.

SteyrAUG
04-14-12, 14:17

I had to stop watching when they flashed Reagan as Sagan spoke "every corrupt politician."

I miss Sagan, it saddens me that some ****tard liberal has used his frequently profound works to drive their unfortunate agenda.

Dated as it is, Cosmos is one of the few DVDs in my science / documentary section that I will watch over and over. I remember watching it when it originally aired on PBS with my Dad back in 1980.

Failure2Stop
04-14-12, 14:23
I bask in the insignificance that the scale of the universe brings, but for some reason the IRS doesn't seem to share my perspective.

Scoby
04-14-12, 15:03
WOW.....very profound. Insignificant indeed.

Quiet-Matt
04-14-12, 15:03
WOW! The unimaginable scale of the universe is absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing that Will.

WillBrink
04-14-12, 15:18
WOW! The unimaginable scale of the universe is absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing that Will.

Here's the thing, at the scale that was being shown, that's within our own galaxy, and there's well over 100 billion galaxies in the known universe. Now try and rap your mind around that scale.

Moose-Knuckle
04-14-12, 16:18
In 2009 there was a German super computer that spit out an algorithm with an estimated 500,000,000,000 (500 billion) galaxies.

At the very low end of estimated habitable planets (based on the 100 billion galaxy estimate) they came to the number 50,000,000,000,000,000,000 (50 quintillion) planets that could sustain life as we know it.

WillBrink
04-14-12, 17:17
In 2009 there was a German super computer that spit out an algorithm with an estimated 500,000,000,000 (500 billion) galaxies.

At the very low end of estimated habitable planets (based on the 100 billion galaxy estimate) they came to the number 50,000,000,000,000,000,000 (50 quintillion) planets that could sustain life as we know it.

It's statistically damn close to zero that we are/have been, the only planet with life on it, but whether or not we ever discover anything beyond us is also unlikely given the distances and time, but maybe they have already discovered us. ;)

MistWolf
04-14-12, 17:37
I don't think the Creator of this universe would go through so much effort just to put life on only one planet.

We are small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things and all that vastness has me thinking of but one thing- Why are we not out there?

WillBrink
04-14-12, 18:02
I don't think the Creator of this universe would go through so much effort just to put life on only one planet.

We are small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things and all that vastness has me thinking of but one thing- Why are we not out there?

I'm not real big on the idea of a "creator" myself, but I sure agree with that last part! :cool:

rojocorsa
04-14-12, 18:04
Because 'out there' is just too damn big.

Safetyhit
04-14-12, 18:05
Here's the thing, at the scale that was being shown, that's within our own galaxy, and there's well over 100 billion galaxies in the known universe. Now try and rap your mind around that scale.

If you watch again you will see that the journey exits our galaxy and goes well, well beyond. Great find though.

WillBrink
04-14-12, 18:38
If you watch again you will see that the journey exits our galaxy and goes well, well beyond. Great find though.

Yup, you're right, it does leave our galaxy at the end. ;)

GeorgiaBoy
04-14-12, 19:03
I had to stop watching when they flashed Reagan as Sagan spoke "every corrupt politician."

I miss Sagan, it saddens me that some ****tard liberal has used his frequently profound works to drive their unfortunate agenda.

Dated as it is, Cosmos is one of the few DVDs in my science / documentary section that I will watch over and over. I remember watching it when it originally aired on PBS with my Dad back in 1980.

It's kind of funny. The whole point of that video is to prove how insignificant we are, how insignificant our lives, our beliefes, our motives are. Yet, you post this. Irony. ;)

Mark/MO
04-14-12, 22:05
This reminds me of one of my personal epiphanies. I was in grade school and we were studying space and astronomy. It will date me but the Apollo mission was big then. Anyway the teacher was attempting to explain the enormity of space. She held up a pencil and told us to imagine the point as our universe. Now imagine the space around it spilling out into the halls and other rooms, out into the playground, the surrounding neighborhoods, the rest of the town and beyond without end. Maybe it sounds silly but wow, that was mind-blowing to me as an 8-10 year old kid.

SteyrAUG
04-15-12, 01:33
It's kind of funny. The whole point of that video is to prove how insignificant we are, how insignificant our lives, our beliefes, our motives are. Yet, you post this. Irony. ;)

I was actually making the same observation of the person who created such a biased video which was in contradiction to Sagan's entire point.

theblackknight
04-15-12, 13:16
looking at the sky/milkway thru NODs is pretty cool.

CarlosDJackal
04-15-12, 22:27
What a waste of a great opportunity!! Dr. Sagan could have written about the wonders that inhabit this earth and the great works of man. The arts, the sacrifices, the humanity that man has shown towards each other. All the rescues that happen everyday.

All the charitable work that happens away from our view. Instead he focused on all the evil that man has done. Instead he paid homage to the likes of Hitler, Stalin, and Mao. What an asshole!!

kwelz
04-15-12, 23:02
What a waste of a great opportunity!! Dr. Sagan could have written about the wonders that inhabit this earth and the great works of man. The arts, the sacrifices, the humanity that man has shown towards each other. All the rescues that happen everyday.

All the charitable work that happens away from our view. Instead he focused on all the evil that man has done. Instead he paid homage to the likes of Hitler, Stalin, and Mao. What an asshole!!

Is that really what you took from the video?

SteyrAUG
04-16-12, 00:35

Carl Sagan didn't make the video. The audio is from his series Cosmos. Some other jackass dubbed in the politically biased video images.

sjc3081
04-16-12, 04:03

Me to.
The libtards always mix logic and deception to sew their web of lies.

WillBrink
05-05-12, 17:58
Is that really what you took from the video?

Seems many missed the essential point totally, but all good.:cool:

Now THIS will blow your mind:

http://vimeo.com/40900577

Turn HD on, select full screen, wow....

3 AE
05-05-12, 21:34
Thanks WillBrink for those two videos, one close to home and the other far far away. It got me to break out "The Music Of Cosmos" album and get it spinning on my turntable. It was inspiring.

Cesiumsponge
05-05-12, 23:24
Humans simply don't have the capacity or drive to work on long time scales or invest in engineering projects on such a grand scheme. We're tiny and we build tiny things, like tiny tin boxes that spin around our dirt clod for short periods of time. Humans have short life spans, relatively speaking. I don't think humans can comprehend trips that might take hundreds of years, so who wants to invest in space travel if you can't get where you're going in a couple hours?

It depresses me that Freeman Dyson's Project Orion study in the 60's allowed spacefaring with arbitrarily large craft using 60's technology. It is still the cheapest, most viable way today, a half century later. Nukes come with a negative image though, so all the alternatives will in all likelihood take hundreds of billions of dollars and decades of construction before seeing results. Chemical propellants are a mature technology and one of the most expensive ways to lift payload. We aren't technologically there yet to build space elevators, and I can't imagine humanity dumping a hundred billion dollars into one. Big infrastructure cost big money, and people are simply too small to pay for something intangible or something they won't see in their lifetime.

Another classic (read, dated!) video is the "Powers Of Ten", showing the scale of what humans are intimately familiar with, a meter, to largest scales in steps of one magnitude (10 times larger) and down the opposite way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

WillBrink
05-06-12, 08:01
Humans simply don't have the capacity or drive to work on long time scales or invest in engineering projects on such a grand scheme. We're tiny and we build tiny things, like tiny tin boxes that spin around our dirt clod for short periods of time. Humans have short life spans, relatively speaking. I don't think humans can comprehend trips that might take hundreds of years, so who wants to invest in space travel if you can't get where you're going in a couple hours?

It depresses me that Freeman Dyson's Project Orion study in the 60's allowed spacefaring with arbitrarily large craft using 60's technology. It is still the cheapest, most viable way today, a half century later. Nukes come with a negative image though, so all the alternatives will in all likelihood take hundreds of billions of dollars and decades of construction before seeing results. Chemical propellants are a mature technology and one of the most expensive ways to lift payload. We aren't technologically there yet to build space elevators, and I can't imagine humanity dumping a hundred billion dollars into one. Big infrastructure cost big money, and people are simply too small to pay for something intangible or something they won't see in their lifetime.

Another classic (read, dated!) video is the "Powers Of Ten", showing the scale of what humans are intimately familiar with, a meter, to largest scales in steps of one magnitude (10 times larger) and down the opposite way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

I agree with Hawkings, humanity has perhaps 1000 years give or take unless we are able to get off this one planet. So, our usual small thinking, will likely be our demise as a species.

Safetyhit
05-06-12, 08:15
Seems many missed the essential point totally, but all good.:cool:

Wow is that an understatement. It's a celestial based visual thing people, turn the sound off and just watch it for cripe's sake.

Cesiumsponge
05-06-12, 17:41
With all my pessimism, it does tickle me fancy that only a hundred years ago did we start putting in the infrastructure for electricity. Only fifty years ago did we start shooting rockets into space. If we can make it through our stupid sociopolitical squabbles in the coming decades, we could be destined for greatness. While NASA has become lame, private industry is taking over the concept of commercial space travel. While it's a novelty for rich playboys today, much like flying of yesteryear, I have great expectations that it'll become as boring as a skip across the pond on a 777.

The fact that recently, investors have garnered mainstream media attention in seriously mining iron meteors/asteroids and using chondrites as fuel sources means we're slowly moving out of the realm of white paper feasibility studies and sci-fi. That gives me something to look forward to.

Moose-Knuckle
05-08-12, 18:11
With all my pessimism, it does tickle me fancy that only a hundred years ago did we start putting in the infrastructure for electricity. Only fifty years ago did we start shooting rockets into space. If we can make it through our stupid sociopolitical squabbles in the coming decades, we could be destined for greatness. While NASA has become lame, private industry is taking over the concept of commercial space travel. While it's a novelty for rich playboys today, much like flying of yesteryear, I have great expectations that it'll become as boring as a skip across the pond on a 777.

The fact that recently, investors have garnered mainstream media attention in seriously mining iron meteors/asteroids and using chondrites as fuel sources means we're slowly moving out of the realm of white paper feasibility studies and sci-fi. That gives me something to look forward to.

Great post and agreed.

We're our own worst enemy. It's the only thing holding us back.

WillBrink
05-08-12, 18:16
Great post and agreed.

We're our own worst enemy. It's the only thing holding us back.

This!!!!!!!