PDA

View Full Version : FatGripz Vs. Tyler Grip: A SxS Comparison

Hizzie
04-14-12, 14:03
I was given a set of FatGripz (FG) and have enjoyed using them over the last 2 months. I recently found a similar product that had apparantly been around a bit longer but with much less fan fare from Tyler Grip (TG). I figured I'd give them a shot and wanted to compare the 2 products SxS. Both products have big name fitness/strength endorsements on their websites.

http://www.fatgripz.com/feb.html

http://www.tylergrip.com/

FatGripz come sealed in a black plastic bag with a website printed on it for directions and a "free" workout program. The workout program sucks other than 1 golden tidbit; Decline Narrow Grip Bench Press. Talk about Tricep gold. They are very nicely made and very firm, with almost no give or squish. They have noticably increased my grip strength over the last 2 months of use. $39.00 + $6.40 shipping minimum = $45.40

The Tyler Grip came shipped in a plain cardboard box with no additional packaging. Tim Tyler included 2 MILO bags (100lb size) and a 3 page note about the TG, its design, testimonials and suggested uses/exercises. I ordered Wednesday, they shipped Thursday and received I Saturday. They are not "polished" in appearance and look rather plain. They offer some give/squish. $39.95 + $5.00 shipping = $44.95

*I have not yet used the TG's in the gym. Just tested them out at home. These are just my initial observations.*

The FG's are nicer looking than the TG's. The TG's fit a little looser on standard DB handles than the FG's do. The cone shape of the TG is very appealing and my main interest in them was for heavy presses. Reverse Grip BP in particular. Just playing around the house with them it seems like the slightly smaller narrow end will fit my MEDIUM hand much better for curling and should help relieve some of the pressure on my wrists while pressing. The ends of the FG's are beveled (see below) and appears that they will fit cambered bars better. The shape of the TG appears as like it may negate the need for a cambered bar. Not much more I can say till I get a chance to workout with the TG's.

SPECS:

Length:........FG 5.0".........TG 4.5"

O.D. 1:........FG 2.25"........TG 2.0"

O.D. 2:........FG 2.25"........TG 2.5"

I.D. :...........FG 1.1".........TG 1.125"

Circ 1:.........FG 7.25".......TG 6.5"

Circ 2:.........FG 7.25".......TG 7.875"

Some shitty camera phone pics:

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Random%20Stuff/1334425475.jpg

FG between 2 TG's to show end-to-end size difference.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Random%20Stuff/1334425477.jpg

End of FG to show bevel.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Random%20Stuff/1334426388.jpg

I'll post more once I get some workouts in with the TG's.

Hizzie
04-26-12, 20:27
Deloading for 2 weeks but tried out the TG's. BB Curls and Cable Reverse Curls were the 2 exercises I tried them with today. I am stronger with the TG's vs the FG's on Cable Reverse Curls as they are truly brutal using FG's. I did experiece some squirm with the TG's on a "standard" olympic curl (straight) bar and more on the cambered attachment I used with the cables. I did some BB Holds using the TG's and the give they have seemed to help me hold on just a little longer. I'll update more as I use them.

Hizzie
05-01-12, 03:13
Solved the squirm with the Tyler Grips. 2" x 6" piece of surgical tape. Today was just figuring weights for my various presses next rotation. Thoughts so far:

Barbell Bench Press with TG's: Groove wise felt OK. Not good. Not bad. My pecs however were lit up in a way they normally aren't (in a good way).

Reverse Grip Bench Press with TG's: With the squirm removed these feel alot better. Takes a little pressure of the hands.

Narrow Grip Bench Press with TG's: These felt great. Instantly I felt like I was in a better groove. Felt strong.

Standing Military Press (strict) w/TG's: Again these felt great. Much better groove than normal. Felt very strong.

Was thinking about doing some TG Holds once I was finished with my workout. Then I noticed the ache in my forearms. Didn't notice it during but man did my forearms get a workout.

Hizzie
05-20-12, 17:52
I love front squats but damn they tear up my clavicles/shoulders. Tried an experiment with the FG's. Placed them on the bar where I have pain front squatting. Even though they have almost no give they spread out the pressure and were much more comfortable. Went up to 315 with "relative" comfort.

Chuc
05-28-12, 17:22
Hizzie, have the FG's/TG's made any difference in your strength with bench and military? They make it easier for me to do pressing movements, but supination movements are unbearable from the tendinit
is.

Hizzie
05-28-12, 21:17
I've been using the TG's for BB presses and find them more comfortable, with less pressure on my hands/wrists. I actually "feel" flat BBBP using the TG's. My weights are lower but I get a better workout overall. Quality over quantity all-day, everyday.

I use the FG's for BB/DB/Cable curls. My forearms scream. Had to drop quite a bit of weight compared to no FG's. I was at the point that my shoulder/upper back strength was becoming a limiting factor. Again I get a better workout overall.

Huge improvement in my grip. My forearm development has improved. No problems caused by either one. I feel they are a good tool to have. I still can't pick one over the other.

Delta One
06-03-12, 13:09
Agreed. I have the Fat Gripz and use them on my dead lift which dropped from 320 to 190 when I first started using them. An invaluable tool for anybody looking to have a bone crushing grip.

WillBrink
06-03-12, 13:25
Agreed. I have the Fat Gripz and use them on my dead lift which dropped from 320 to 190 when I first started using them. An invaluable tool for anybody looking to have a bone crushing grip.

Just deadlifts? add a few back-off sets with thick grips. An example for pull ups might be:

Sets 1-3 - Normal Grip Pull up
Sets 4 & 5 - Thick Grip Pull Up

This way the back will still be challenged, and the final two sets will also challenge the grip.

Another option might be to add an exercise with a thick grip after an initial exercise with a standard grip. For example:

Exercise 1: 3-5 sets of standard grip pull ups

Exercise 2: Inverted row with a thick rope or TRX / Blast Straps with thick handles/Fatgripz

Those are simple ideas, but you can find much indepth ways via writings of people like Charles Poliquin, articles on Elite Fitness, etc.

Vid i made of thick bar/fatgripz training for additional ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot100wipgl8

Delta One
06-03-12, 13:28
Oh no no, I use them on every applicable movement I do with barbells, pull up bars etc.

I just felt the biggest effect in my deadlift. My DB bench press was also rocked a ton by the use of them.

Haven't thought of using them on the TRX yet, I'll have to try that.