PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my first AR. Can't wait for it to come!

e_tv
04-15-12, 08:19
New to world of AR. Ordered a RRA Tactical Operator 2. The site says 60 to 90 days, maybe I will get lucky and it will come in sooner. I am hoping I made a wise choice in RRA. I will b looking to add some sights shortly after I get. Eotech Xps2-2?

OIPactual
04-15-12, 08:36
What made you chose rra? Especially when there are a lot of other better choices out there? DD, BCM, Colt, etc. all of which would have been higher quality and probably only a few dollars more..:what:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ggp2jz
04-15-12, 08:37
This wont go over well. I would cancel the RRA and pick up a better offering from BCM, DD, Colt, etc.

NoveskeFan
04-15-12, 08:48
This wont go over well. I would cancel the RRA and pick up a better offering from BCM, DD, Colt, etc.

+1:eek:DO IT NOW!!! For the price of that model, you really should cancel and find a recommended brand. Look through our equipment exchange or contact Grant at www.GandRtactical.com

djmorris
04-15-12, 08:49
Cancel that order. Rock River makes shit rifles. I'm sure you have been watching nutnfancy's videos where has says Rock River is the best AR brand on the market, but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Cancel that order if you're smart and while you're at it get a Twitter/Facebook account.

edit: for the money you spent, check out Bravocompanyusa.com and get an actual quality rifle for the same or even less coin. What in the world would make you purchase a Rock River? They are not high quality by any stretch.

e_tv
04-15-12, 08:51
It came recommended from a gun shop near where I live. The gun shop also came highly recommended from several people. What is wrong with RRA?

johnlee
04-15-12, 08:56
:smile: I'll play.
BCM lower- $340 or blemished- $270
BCM bcg-$150
BCM 16" mid-length standard upper-$420
Then handguards and rear sight.
= piece of mind and a functioning weapon

RRA about $1000.
=?

djmorris
04-15-12, 08:58
Do a search. You're paying top dollar for a low quality rifle. Gun shop "gurus" usually know very little about firearms in general and even less about AR's. The guy was very likely recommending what he owns just because he owns it and wants to act like it's good.

They are not even close to mil-spec or quality . Common problems I have personally seen or heard about with Rock River rifles are gas keys not properly staked, low quality materials, over gassed, they even use commercial spec receivers. They are plinking rifles and not worth the money; not much else can be said about it.

You'd do much better with even a $600 Smith & Wesson Sport. If you don't want to listen to us, then fine, but I'm not sure why you posted this in the first place. You'll find out the hard way. RRA is junk. The only people who claim they are not are the ones who are trying to justify their purchase.

ucrt
04-15-12, 08:59

You shoud have seeked advice before you bought, not afterwards.

If possible, cancel the order, then research to educate yourself, and then if you still want a RRA, then that just adds credence to the addage, about "leading a horse to the water..."

Oh, I almost forgot to answer your question...
... What is wrong with RRA?

Besides being an out of spec facsimile of a "real" AR...nothing. Also, I wouldn't buy an AR from that shop...:rolleyes:

But maybe it's just me...

Inkslinger
04-15-12, 08:59
It came recommended from a gun shop near where I live. The gun shop also came highly recommended from several people. What is wrong with RRA?

Before this gets locked. Use the search function. Read the stickies. Shoot the crap out of the RRA. Upgrade to your wants and needs in the future.

johnlee
04-15-12, 09:06

I don't trust any gun stores in my area regarding defensive weapons. RRA isn't made near to mil-spec and doesn't do the testing or have the qc of BCM, LMT Colt and the like. Some people may have good luck with them but why take the chance.

btw, I as many have also done the same thing that you did and is a reason you'll take some heat here. Don't worry or take it personally it just happens here a lot. I bought a lower grade AR then joined m4carbine and found out I could have gotten a great running rifle at the same price.

There are many threads similar to yours here. Most will tell you to look at the chart and you'll find out why. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

I wish you luck and remember we really are trying to help. Well, mostly. :p

e_tv
04-15-12, 09:06
Thanks for the advice, I will try and cancel it. I did some research, but not in the right places.
Originally I was going to get a Colt LE6920. Maybe I need to go back in this direction.
Again thanks.

djmorris
04-15-12, 09:08
Thanks for the advice, I will try and cancel it. I did some research, but not in the right places.
Originally I was going to get a Colt LE6920. Maybe I need to go back in this direction.
Again thanks.

What lead you away from the Colt? Did you honestly believe RRA could even be close to the quality of a Colt?

e_tv
04-15-12, 09:13
I took bad advice. I walked in the store to get the colt and was talked out of it.

johnlee
04-15-12, 09:15
Again thanks.

See guys, we did a good deed today. No need to lock the thread down as we talked him down. haha
Yes the Colt is a much better direction to go.

NoveskeFan
04-15-12, 09:17
I took bad advice. I walked in the store to get the colt and was talked out of it.

I would not spend any more cash at that store.

drsal
04-15-12, 09:17
Do not allow the "dark side" at your local gun shop dissuade you from your quest :-)

sboza
04-15-12, 09:20
New to world of AR. Ordered a RRA Tactical Operator 2. The site says 60 to 90 days, maybe I will get lucky and it will come in sooner. I am hoping I made a wise choice in RRA. I will b looking to add some sights shortly after I get. Eotech Xps2-2?

You probably should have come here before you ordered an rra. And 60-90 day wait? Mind if I ask how much you are paying?

El Cid
04-15-12, 09:20

And this is why I hate gunshop commandos. Remember their priority is to make money. Even those with good intentions may not have the background to know what they are talking about. And don't let them feed you the standard line about agency X using RRA. Agencies often make poor choices in weapons for a variety of reasons.

Good luck and I hope they let u change or cancel your order.

MOA
04-15-12, 09:30
Sadly this is a easy mistake to make. You read about guns and hear brands thrown around like RRA and how awesome they are. How they are used by this or that swat team. From what should be reliable sources. But you have to wade thru the BS and magazines and gun stores that push what they sell. I mean hell i've got a good friend who known guns and his 3 gun rig started off as a bushmaster. 3 years latter all thats bm is the upper.
Your mistake is forgiven. You have found the right site. Now try to cancel your order and get that colt.

e_tv
04-15-12, 09:33
It was going to cost $950.00. +tax
Well under my planned budget.

lethal dose
04-15-12, 09:35
Gun shops are like car lots... They're there to sell you something. Just ask Grant! :p

e_tv
04-15-12, 09:41
You probably should have come here before you ordered an rra. And 60-90 day wait? Mind if I ask how much you are paying?

$950.00. Well under budget.

djmorris
04-15-12, 09:46
It was going to cost $950.00. +tax
Well under my planned budget.

You could build a Spikes Tactical or Palmetto State Armory carbine for about $650 and it'd still be a much, much higher quality than a Rock River. Rock River uses very poor (cheap) materials, very little quality control, parts will not last, and there is a good chance it was not assembled/staked correctly. Rock River generally uses a 1/9 twist in a crappy barrel that is not going to last long at all before needing replacing. They are truly not worth the sweat off my balls.

For $900-$1,100 you could get a Colt 6920, Bravo Company, or Daniel Defense and have a combat ready weapon that will truly last a lifetime with proper maintenance and care.

My other advice would be to not to take internet advice aside from some knowledgeable members here, and DEFINITELY do not take gun store employee advice.

The only AR brands you need to know, in a nutshell:

Colt, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Noveske, LMT, Knights Armament

If it's not one of those, then chances are it's junk.

Iraqgunz
04-15-12, 10:37
If you want to tell everyone what you bought - get a Facebook account.

If you want to learn about your purchase - do so beforehand, and not after the fact. Now that you know, ditch the RRA and get a Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske or LMT.