PDA

View Full Version : Buddy considering buying Ruger SR9C

rickp
04-15-12, 13:56
I got a good buddy considering buying a Ruger SR9C, why I don't know, but regardless that's the situation.

Does anyone have any feedback on these pistols, any useful info I can pass on to him. He already has a G17 first gen. so I think he's looking for something smaller, more concealable.

thanks
R.

jrmymiles
04-15-12, 14:23
I personally think a G26 would be a logical choice. He can even use his old 17 mags.

As far as the Ruger, I don't know of any LE/MIL contracts for them. Probably a clue.

chkrdflg
04-15-12, 14:54
I have the "full size" SR9. I probably have about 500 rounds or so through it. It goes bang every time. I have never had a failure to fire, feed or eject. I'm happy with it. You can check out other opinions at the Ruger forum.

rickp
04-15-12, 15:02
I personally think a G26 would be a logical choice. He can even use his old 17 mags.

As far as the Ruger, I don't know of any LE/MIL contracts for them. Probably a clue.

I would think so too.

I've been reading some old posts to see if anything sticks out, and one thing did.

A poster mentioned that one can't buy Ruger parts, is that true? Can one get spare parts to service the pistol without sending it in?

duece71
04-15-12, 15:05
I was going to suggest a G19 so as to be able to use the full size G17 mags. Its actually what I did, G17 for HD, G19 for CCW. I like the fact that I can use the G17 mags in the 19. Not the other way around of course.

theblackknight
04-15-12, 15:08
Why bring a dysfuntional foster kid into the familiy when he could just have the little brother?

Chromium4500
04-15-12, 15:11
I love my SR9c. I've put around 1k rounds through it and it has functioned flawlessly from day 1. This was my first handgun and I spent weeks driving around to every dealer in my area holding ever comparable 9mm out there. The SR9c just fit me, perfectly. It points like a dream and was dead on right out of the box.

The only complaint i have is that the trigger is a little quirky to get used to. Long pull with increasing resistance. This is not a target trigger by any means. It's engineered so that even full of adrenaline you will know that you are pulling the trigger, it takes conscious effort to make it go bang.

Chromium4500
04-15-12, 15:13
A poster mentioned that one can't buy Ruger parts, is that true? Can one get spare parts to service the pistol without sending it in?

This is not true. Call Ruger CS and you will deal with one very helpful lady. Anything you need she can get you. Service is great, prices are fair and shipping is fast. Ruger and S&W have some of the best CS I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

rickp
04-15-12, 16:00
This is not true. Call Ruger CS and you will deal with one very helpful lady. Anything you need she can get you. Service is great, prices are fair and shipping is fast. Ruger and S&W have some of the best CS I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

that's good to know.

I'll talk to him tomorrow about all this. We're supposed to go to the range to test one out. I'm planning on bringing my M&P9 to have something else for him to compare to.

I'm not sure where all this is coming from, but I agree with you guys i think he should stick to glock since that's what he already has. Unless he's really unhappy with that platform, then I would tell him to go with M&P. That's what I did, I got rid of all my glocks but one, and went with M&P. The only one i kept i dont even use, it's pretty much my girl's pistol now.

R.
R.

mkmckinley
04-15-12, 16:31
Why bring a dysfuntional foster kid into the familiy when he could just have the little brother?

That's hilarious, and good advice.

ucrt
04-15-12, 16:32
... Long pull with increasing resistance. This is not a target trigger by any means. It's engineered so that even full of adrenaline you will know that you are pulling the trigger, it takes conscious effort to make it go bang.

====================================

With a justification lile that, a S&W Sigma is the way to go. I shot a friend's Sigma a few weeks ago and I actually thought I was going to break the trigger getting a shot of. Pure crap.

Ruger's claim to fame in centefire pistols is c-h-e-a-p! Plain and simple.
It takes engineering money to make a pistol do a lot of things well and that makes them cost more.
With Ruger's lack of engineering, their pistols do very few things well but...they are cheap.

Like JrmyMiles said above - A good rule of thumb selecting a pistol is look to see how many Police Dept's adopt the gun. With that rule of thumb, your basically down to Glock and M&P...period!

But maybe it's just me...

rickp
04-15-12, 16:46
====================================

With a justification lile that, a S&W Sigma is the way to go. I shot a friend's Sigma a few weeks ago and I actually thought I was going to break the trigger getting a shot of. Pure crap.

Ruger's claim to fame in centefire pistols is c-h-e-a-p! Plain and simple.
It takes engineering money to make a pistol do a lot of things well and that makes them cost more.
With Ruger's lack of engineering, their pistols do very few things well but...they are cheap.

Like JrmyMiles said above - A good rule of thumb selecting a pistol is look to see how many Police Dept's adopt the gun. With that rule of thumb, your basically down to Glock and M&P...period!

But maybe it's just me...

We had a brief conversation about this Ruger thing a while back. Even then I told him to stick with either Glock or IMO even better M&P. I'll have another crack at changing his mind tomorrow, but at the end of the day as we all know we can take a horse to the water but we can't make him drink.

t's engineered so that even full of adrenaline you will know that you are pulling the trigger, it takes conscious effort to make it go bang.

LOL!! I'm not touching this one!!!!

Like NY trigger,they're heavier so they MUST be safer. LOL!!!

Wolvee
04-15-12, 20:41
I'm a gun snob and even I like the SR9c.

I had the full size SR9 for my first 9mm out of the military , I cleaned it once and put 8k rounds through it without a single malfunction. The SR9c we have is my wifes and it hasn't had a single problem yet.

djmorris
04-15-12, 21:17
My girlfriend has a Ruger SR40c and I used to have a Ruger SR 40 full-size. Same basic guns as the SR9.

My full-size never had a failure at all but I only put around 1,000 rounds through it before "upgrading". My girlfriends SR40c, on the other hand, has had numerous FTF and the trigger feels gritty sometimes. I think the FTF's could have been break-in because we have not experienced any in quite awhile.

They are accurate enough, good ergonomics, and good capacity. They are not bad guns for around $400 but definitely no more, even that's pushing it, IMO. I'd recommend for someone who doesn't have a need for a combat ready weapon, I guess.

Lomshek
04-16-12, 14:04
Ruger SR9C pistols (and maybe other versions) have begun experiencing light strike failures. A friend's began doing it and after eliminating the usual dirty striker/channel possibilities we figured out both the magazine disconnect and striker block are not sufficiently clearing the striker to allow it free movement.

Dykem'ing the striker confirmed the problem. Her gun has maybe 500 rounds through it. My opinion is that Ruger set clearances on those safety devices too tight and a little normal wearing in is sufficient to screw up the tolerance.

Using the old pencil-in-the-barrel trick we will get about 10% ceiling hits, 10% out of the gun launches, 20% 1" jumps and 50% no movement.

I'll give Ruger a chance to fix it but it seems apparent the only real fix is relieving the magazine disconnect about .020 and relieving the striker where the striker block hits it about the same. Relieving the striker block causes other clearance issues.

Those machining changes will fix the issue while still allowing the safety devices to do their job. We'll see what they do.

rickp
04-16-12, 16:03
Ruger SR9C pistols (and maybe other versions) have begun experiencing light strike failures. A friend's began doing it and after eliminating the usual dirty striker/channel possibilities we figured out both the magazine disconnect and striker block are not sufficiently clearing the striker to allow it free movement.

Dykem'ing the striker confirmed the problem. Her gun has maybe 500 rounds through it. My opinion is that Ruger set clearances on those safety devices too tight and a little normal wearing in is sufficient to screw up the tolerance.

Using the old pencil-in-the-barrel trick we will get about 10% ceiling hits, 10% out of the gun launches, 20% 1" jumps and 50% no movement.

I'll give Ruger a chance to fix it but it seems apparent the only real fix is relieving the magazine disconnect about .020 and relieving the striker where the striker block hits it about the same. Relieving the striker block causes other clearance issues.

Those machining changes will fix the issue while still allowing the safety devices to do their job. We'll see what they do.

Do you know if this is a known issue to Ruger, to a certain production batch or maybe to just that one pistol???

Well... the deed is done, he got his Ruger SR9C and a Uncle Mike holster for his Appendix Carry:rolleyes:. I almost had him getting a M&P9c. He was really impressed with mine 4.25" M&P9.

Now I told him to go out an test it with the hollow point ammo of choice. I don't he believed me when I told him Hollow Points can be a problem sometimes. He's not happy about having to buy more ammo to test with. Actually I'd be surprised if he did do it.

Denali
04-16-12, 19:03
It's engineered so that even full of adrenaline you will know that you are pulling the trigger, it takes conscious effort to make it go bang.

This kind of hyperbole infests GT, and the other drive-by gun forums. The gun was designed that way to satisfy "lawyers" and "two states" that are left of communism, as a consequence, everybody gets the same POS.

I would never purchase a Ruger pistol, there's good reasons why they are almost universally scoffed at by US LEA, with but the very few exceptions, and those exceptions are almost always little teency weency two to eight man rural LEA that for obvious reasons are restricted to the cheapest thing they can safely holster...They stocked these cheap POS pistols with the absolute cheapest POS magazine safeties imaginable. The firing pin is not disengaged, instead it slams into a piece of potmetal and at least with one pistol(P345)this results in almost instantaneous destruction of the firing pin...

There are many many superior choices available to the cheap Ruger pistols...

Lomshek
04-16-12, 20:06
Do you know if this is a known issue to Ruger, to a certain production batch or maybe to just that one pistol???

No idea. I did a google search and came up with a few recent threads on rugerforum all with the same issue. Some of them had different results depending on ammo but that tells me that minute differences in recoil will set the striker/trigger bar/mag disconnect for more or less engagement.

Locally besides this one my brother in law knows two casual shooters who are dealing with the same issue in their SR9C's.

The gun I'm dealing with is owned by a lady part time USPSA shooter who barely has 500 rounds through it.

I called Ruger and am sending it back for warranty. The lady of course had never heard of this problem before :rolleyes: She had also never heard of putting a pencil in the barrel to test striker impact.

rickp
04-16-12, 21:21
No idea. I did a google search and came up with a few recent threads on rugerforum all with the same issue. Some of them had different results depending on ammo but that tells me that minute differences in recoil will set the striker/trigger bar/mag disconnect for more or less engagement.

Locally besides this one my brother in law knows two casual shooters who are dealing with the same issue in their SR9C's.

The gun I'm dealing with is owned by a lady part time USPSA shooter who barely has 500 rounds through it.

I called Ruger and am sending it back for warranty. The lady of course had never heard of this problem before :rolleyes: She had also never heard of putting a pencil in the barrel to test striker impact.

Was she re receptionist or a tech support person? if the latter, then wow!!!

Just so I understand this right the end result is a light primer strike, right?

Lomshek
04-16-12, 21:51
The receptionist transfered me to "customer support" after I told her I had a warranty issue with an SR9. The customer support lady is the one I was going over the issue with. To her credit she said she was new and the old guys would probably know what I was talking about (no offer to transfer me though).

Yes. The actual problem is light primer strikes or no primer impact at all. The actual force a primer is hit with randomly varies from plenty to not even a tickle.

To replicate/test this I did over 100 dry fires with the gun pointed up and a pencil in the barrel comparing pencil movement from one hit to the next.

Bigun
05-05-12, 01:40
I bought a SR9C just because it felt good to me and satisfied my need for a sub compact 9mm for summer carry and I was short of funds. Guess what I like the hell out of the cheap little P.O.S.. The trigger after 500rds is smooth and light as a tuned Glock, it is more than accurate enough outshooting both a CZ75 and a XDM full sized pistols even in their owners hands. And has fed everything I've thrown at it including some of my cast 125 grain bullets that seem to choke the others. If it gets taken from me after a shooting I won't cry I'd just buy another. It's light, small and fits my gorilla mits better than a Glock ever has plus it dont point at the ceiling when I bring it on line. I trust it enough to carry it off duty along with 2-17 round backup mags with the grip extensions. Laugh if you will but this pistol has restored my long lost faith in Ruger Pistols.

skywalkrNCSU
05-06-12, 21:40
Never been a big fan of Ruger's in anything but a revolver really. I don't see the point in getting a gun like the SR9C when there are already better guns out there (subjective I know).

Bigun
05-06-12, 23:27
Only time will tell if it was a bad purchase but for now I'm completely satisfied with it. Up to 650 rds through it we'll see if it makes 10,000 but for 4bills new I wont complain.

Evil Colt 6920
05-06-12, 23:41
My brother picked up the SR9C not long after it became available. No problems at all with it. Accurate and easy to shoot. Id buy one.

Leonidas24
05-07-12, 01:22
I've recently experienced a couple problems with SR9C's at the range I work at. One gun in March was brought in after about 400 rounds being fired through it and mid-way through this customer's range session the gun stopped extracting. The shooter and I looked at the slide and the loaded round indicator and the extractor roll pins had somehow worked themselves loose and the whole assembly disassembled itself.

Same thing happened about three weeks ago with another customer who had his gun for roughly 1,000 rounds or so he said. Both said they were sending the guns back to Ruger but I haven't seen either customer since their particular incidents.

My advice to your buddy would be to stick with known-quality brands instead of believing what the gun rags say. I don't work on the retail side of the firearms industry and I'm not afraid to tell a range-goer that their gun sucks when it fails for no obvious reason other than it's a cheap POS.

BGREID
05-08-12, 10:42
I have one, it is a great pistol. I used to have a Glock 26 and the Ruger is a much better gun in my opinion. Better trigger and sights and the grip feels much better to me. Sold the Glock.

novaDAK
05-08-12, 16:13

There are many parts Ruger won't send to you, that they call "fitted" and require the firearm returned to the factory for part repair/replacement.