PDA

View Full Version : First Purchase: Spikes St-15 vs. Ruger SR-556 vs. Colt LE6920MP

Dark_Inspired
04-15-12, 18:13
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I am new to AR-15s in general however I have shot one, I understand how they work, and now I want one!

I need some help with my first purchase. I have set my budget to about $1,000 and maybe a little more(like $1500 after upgrades and ammo). I have done my homework on the following things starting with what kind of rifle I'm looking for:

I want a rifle capable of my life depending on it for whatever purpose I deem necessary such as home defense, gov. takover, zombie apocolypse, or big foot trying to rape me when I'm hiding out in the woods when all the other things happen. I want that rifle to save my ass! I especially want it to save my ass from big foot!:eek: I don't want to think thoughts like "I wonder if I can rely on this to help protect me." I want to think "I know this rifle will fire every damn time!"

I plan to buy a .22 conversion kit so that I don't break the bank when I just want to plink around and I researched and found that the 5.56/.223 is the only caliber that can be converted down to .22 caliber with extreme ease by only removing and inserting one part; which is why I'm sticking to the 5.56 plus all the numorous other reasons such as the ability to carry more ammunition and etc. I did think about the 6.8 but it costs more per round and not very many people use it. I looked at the 7.62/.308 but I already have my good old .30-06 for that kind of round.

With this rifle I know that I want an A3/A4 Picatinny Rail with Flip Up BUIS so that I can later add optics such as a red dot, Eotech Holo, or a Trijicon ACOG later down the road. Also I don't want to have the detachable carry handle. That I could care less about because I see no need for it. I also want to add a foregrip so a rail system would be nice but I don't plan on adding accesories such as a flashlight or laser unless I find I that need them.

I thought about building a rifle but for right now it would seem easier to buy the complete rifle. I know that it is fairly easy to build one but right now I am concerned about the availability of parts and if I do decide to build that they are of the same quality from say a company that isn't as "well known" as the big boys out there such as Colt,CMMG, and etc. I did look at Del-Ton Arms and others for parts but again I'm not sure if it's the same quality. It goes back to wanting to think "I know this rifle will fire every damn taime!" and not being concerned if I have quality parts. I am open to suggestions but for now I'm pretty set on buying a complete rifle.

I do know the difference about DI(Direct Impingement) and GP(Gas Piston) systems on a rifle and it would be nice to have a GP so that it doesn't get my chamber and bolt as dirty from all the hot gases coming back as compared to a DI. But is it really worth having a GP? To me it seems like it's adding another moving part making it that more complicated than it already is and if something goes wrong with the GP then I'm F****D:help: until I can find another one if I am in "survival mode." I understand that the AK is a GP system and it's considered to be one of if not the most reliable rifle in the world so it's not that I'm counting out GP I'm just concerned about it wearing out and what not. Feel free to comment your thoughts on the two systems.

One last thing. I have reasearched the twist rate and the chroming of the barrel. I'm pretty sure I'm set on the 1x7 twist so that I can shoot heavier rounds if I want but I'm not saying that the 1x9 twist is bad but I would like to shoot heavier rounds if I want to.

So it's come down to these three so far tell me what you think!

Lowest to highest(not including shipping):

$770 Spikes Tactical ST-15

It looks like a good rifle with excellent reviews. However it does have a 4 month waiting period. However I am conerned with the "quality" as compared to Colt or other manufacturers that have been around for much longer.

$1,099 Colt LE6920MP-B

From what I hear the "pony" has always made great rifles. So far I've seen great reviews on this rifle especially with the included MagPul accessories such as the stock, handguard, and vertical grip.

$1400 Ruger SR-556

Ok so I've held this rifle in my hands and I can get it from my local gun store. It looks very "pretty" but I've read about some problems with reliability. This rifle is GP(Gas Piston) operated but I've read about it jamming excessivly and destroying casings when put on setting #2(which determines the amount of gas that is allowed to be sent back to load another round with the #0 setting being absolutely no gas so I.E. on the #0 setting it's a bolt action rifle and on the #3 setting it will shoot the case more in front of shooter than the side) it destroys the brass casings it ejects. I also read that the buffer tube wears down the inside of the stock and metal shavings get inside the action. I have seen the pictures online for myself. That's enough of a turn off for me to not purchase this rifle. However if Ruger has fixed that problem then I may be more open to buying it.

So if you have a suggestion such as a better rifle for the same price please comment! I'm all ears! That's why I posted this.

Thanks!
Nick

P.S. I looked around but I didn't see another forum like mine. Sorry if I made a duplicate of all the questions I've asked.

kwelz
04-15-12, 18:15
I would suggest you do a search. This question has been asked multiple times. If you do some reading it will answer all your questions. But the short story is: buy the Colt.

masakari
04-15-12, 18:41
Anything but the Ruger, or any other piston AR for that matter. Piston ARs have many issues, and offer no improvements.

04-15-12, 18:54
Really not much of a decision. Colt hands down.

Eurodriver
04-15-12, 20:15
Really not much of a decision. Colt hands down.

An aweful lot of writing in the OP for such a short answer.

BoringGuy45
04-15-12, 20:39
If you're going to get a piston gun, Set your budget higher and go with Colt, LMT, LWRC, or HK. As for Ruger, unless you're going to get a revolver or a 10/22, I'd avoid them. I wasn't at all impressed with the SR-556.

ICANHITHIMMAN
04-15-12, 20:45
Oh man not another one of these

mallowpufft
04-15-12, 20:51
I'm pretty sure that this topic gets covered weekly or bi-weekly. Try using the orange "search" button. It would have saved you a bunch of typing.
That being said, if your budget is what you say it is, buy the Colt. You won't regret it.

It's best to blame my misspelled words on autocorrect.

KentuckyWindage
04-15-12, 21:06
I would suggest you do a search. This question has been asked multiple times. If you do some reading it will answer all your questions. But the short story is: buy the Colt.

This.

Ed L.
04-15-12, 21:07
Colt 6920 without a doubt.

zibby43
04-15-12, 21:09
As others have said - Colt.

To hammer home the point, use the Google-powered orange search button. It will be your best friend here.

Mike from Texas
04-15-12, 21:18
No contest. Get the Colt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Army Chief
04-15-12, 21:25
Going to save IG the trouble on this one.

A search will yield a gold mine of data.

A one-word answer will also suffice: Colt.

Going to wrap this one up before it gets too silly.

AC