PDA

View Full Version : Securing a Castle Nut

PA PATRIOT
04-15-12, 18:40
I understand the usual method for locking in a Castle Nut is to take a spring loaded punch or just a punch and hammer and indent the steel to prevent movement and this is what I do.

Got into a discussion with a so called "Armorer" who stated that the Military Spec was to use two drops of removable LocTite on the threads so not to do unnecessary damage to the rifles from indenting the metal.

I guess it could be done both ways but I prefer a spring loaded punch as I feel the possible vibration and heat from a full auto M-16 could weaken the LocTite and allow the castle Nut to slip.

What is the opinion about using removable LocTite for securing the Castle Nut.

Kyohte
04-15-12, 18:45
Got into a discussion with a so called "Armorer" who stated that the Military Spec was to use two drops of removable LocTite on the threads so not to do unnecessary damage to the rifles from indenting the metal.

Run, don't walk, away from the "armor". The castle nut on an M4 type rifle should always be staked (unless it's a magpul UBR stock, etc).

royal
04-15-12, 18:50
As Dick Cheney would say, "Hogwash."

Castle nuts should be staked.

SteadyUp
04-15-12, 18:54
I understand the usual method for locking in a Castle Nut is to take a spring loaded punch or just a punch and hammer and indent the steel to prevent movement and this is what I do.

I guess it could be done both ways but I prefer a spring loaded punch as I feel the possible vibration and heat from a full auto M-16 could weaken the LocTite and allow the castle Nut to slip.

What is the opinion about using removable LocTite for securing the Castle Nut.

Run away from this "armorer" as fast as you can. Staking the endplate is not doing any damage to a rifle. And should the castle nut need to be removed, I would much rather deal with some staking that breaking loose Locktite.

Stake the castle nut, and leave the Locktite alone.

P2000
04-15-12, 19:44
This topic has been covered extensively. If you use the search button you will find tons of information.

Ask your armorer if he has ever looked at a factory Colt. I'm pretty sure they are "mil-spec"...:)

mkmckinley
04-15-12, 20:01
I've never seen a military issued AR that wasn't staked. I've never heard of one being Loctited.

Iraqgunz
04-15-12, 20:01
First off, tell said armorer to show you where it states to use removable Loc-tite. He can't, because it doesn't and all Colt M4's and 6920's and probably every other model with a telescoping stock use a two stake minimum.

Second, you have been here a while. Use the search feature as this issue has been discussed dozens of times at least.