PDA

View Full Version : Colt Sporter W/Sear Block

kmc0929
04-15-12, 20:46
My Colt SPORTER Target has the "COLT" block pinned into the lower receiver, it's to my knowledge that this is to prevent one from installing a select fire FCG. However does this mean I cannot add a standard replacement trigger? IE) KAC or Geissele

Tweak
04-15-12, 21:07
The block is more to prevent the installation of an auto sear and the use of the full auto bolt carrier. As long as the replacement trigger has the same foot print as the installed one you'll be fine.

O3SKILL
04-16-12, 13:35
My Colt SPORTER Target has the "COLT" block pinned into the lower receiver, it's to my knowledge that this is to prevent one from installing a select fire FCG. However does this mean I cannot add a standard replacement trigger? IE) KAC or Geissele

1. You need to determine if your particular Colt has the standard mil-spec .154 size fire control group pins or the larger size .170 size pins that Colt put in many of it's AR-15 Sporter/L.E. line of Rifles over the years. Another fail safe to prevent people from installing a select fire FCG in the lower. Glad they finally did away with that nonsense.

2. Most company's that produce aftermarket triggers do feature models that will fit the large .170 Colts, however some large pin Colt lowers have the dreaded steel sear block and many do not. Some trigger groups will install and clear the steel sear block and others wont. That said, once you decide on the trigger you want then you need to confirm that it will properly install into a lower with a steel sear block.

sjc3081
04-16-12, 16:11
You can cut that sear block off,flush with receiver, with a cheap Wallmart dremel. It is easy and then you can use a M 16 BCG. I did it twice and my skill level is low.

SpaceWrangler
04-16-12, 16:17
Be sure the rivet stays in its hole in the lower receiver. BATF&E folks get all upset when they see a bare hole above the selector.

kmc0929
04-16-12, 22:52
Please see below photo, do these look like the larger pins? Unfortunately I do no have any calipers to measure, visually the look larger than the pins on a recent production AR-15 - or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Anyone?

I would like to install a Geissele 2-stage trigger in this rifle, however I do not want to modify that block.

geissele

kmc0929
04-16-12, 22:53
Please see below photo, do these look like the larger pins? Unfortunately I do no have any calipers to measure, visually the look larger than the pins on a recent production AR-15 - or maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Anyone?

I would like to install a Geissele 2-stage trigger in this rifle, however I do not want to modify that block.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg51/scaled.php?server=51&filename=coltlower.jpg&res=landing