PDA

View Full Version : HK45C Opinions?

Vapor Trail
04-15-12, 21:24
If I decide to move away from the .22LR idea and scoot right on ahead to a big-boy gun, I've decided it's gonna be the HK45C. I like everything about the gun, especially the fact that if not for financial reasons, it would currently be the standard sidearm for the U.S. military. It was the frontrunner in the Joint Combat Pistol program.

I like the polygonal rifling, O-ring barrel, ambidextrous controls, user replaceable grip panels, and 30% recoil reduction system. I also like how it also accepts 10-round HK45 magazines.

http://hk-usa.com/military_products/hk45c_general.asp

A couple of the accessories I was looking at for the weapon are the Silencerco Osprey and the Viridian X5L (Gen 2). They are both quality products, as far as I can tell.

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Osprey
http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/xl5-laser-sight

Does anyone have experience with anything I've listed? This is just brainstorming I guess, but I really am in the market for a quality military-grade handgun.

Kevin P
04-15-12, 22:58
Dude don't take this the wrong way, but you need to read more and post alot less.

Your posts continue to be more so statements of miscellaneous data about hardware and equipment. You need to bring your own experiences and knowledge or whatever to the table.

Do a search on the forums and you will find a bunch of info. It is actually easier and takes less time then posting a thread such as this.

SkiDevil
04-16-12, 00:36
In addition to the search function, entering "HK 45C" after M4carbine.net into google.com/ yahoo, etc. will provide many results. Here are few to get you started.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=81172

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52448

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71649

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=75079

There is nothing wrong with asking a question, but checking to see if there has been another thread/ posting applying or covering the subject matter is a good idea.

And as someone already said, it is a very nice pistol. I just don't personally care for the lack of grip stippling on the pistol grip of the frame and for that reason I would purchase the HK USP45 Compact. I just purchased the USPC 9mm and like it very much.

Good luck in your search.

Wake27
04-16-12, 01:02
As for the C5L, I have one on my G19 and like it. Keep in mind, holsters are more limited, but out there. I'm not positive that the laser will hold its zero though, I've never really been able to test it but I couldn't tell. On the other hand, the laser is bright as shit and the light is solid too.

CarbonCycles
04-16-12, 07:48
Stop over-analyzing (or justifying) your future purchase. Try to find one in your area and hold it in your hand (better if you can rent one for a few hours).

It's a great handgun with a very prestigious pedigree, but if you can't shoot it to hit the broad side of a barn, it's somewhat a trivial justification.

Good luck on your future purchase.

PD Sgt.
04-16-12, 08:25
I will start by saying I have had a HK 45c for a while now. While overall I feel it is a very good pistol, it is not without its drawbacks. Remember, these are my observations, you or others may feel differently.

The good: Very accurate with a soft felt recoil for the caliber. It is also very overbuilt, and feels as solid in hand as a polymer pistol can. It is very reliable as well, I have yet to have a problem that was not ammo induced.

The bad: Bulky in the slide, part of being overbuilt, still streamlined from the USP 45 though. Magazines are very expensive, and replacement parts, when available, are also not cheap. The grip lacks much texture, this can be taken care of with a bit of stippling, but only if you are willing to take a woodburner to your new HK. There is also inadequate space to mount a full size weaponlight. Not a problem for some, but keep it in mind if this is to be a working gun or is to pull nightstand duty. This is probably my biggest gripe personally.

It is definitely a pistol I would try first. It is a solid performer, and has an outstanding pedigree (LAV, Hackathorn, HK) but is pricey and not without its drawbacks. As much as I like the pistol (and I do) I still find myself carrying my M&P 45 Compact w.X300 a lot.

Blayglock
04-16-12, 08:34
Size wise is conceals nicely. Here are some comparison pics with a G19:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/HK%2045c/HKvsG19001.jpg

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/HK%2045c/HKvsG19002.jpg

In my experience it is as accurate as semi-custom grade 1911s and is very controllable. Great shooting handgun.

Cons: Capacity, Lack of Aftermarket Support, Mag Cost

Personally, I would not buy a gun based on it being something the militray would use. Military needs and my needs are quite a bit different.

Cosmo M3
04-16-12, 09:36
like what everyone said: the resources are available to you. do your homework

Vapor Trail
04-16-12, 13:42
Thanks for quick replies everyone, I will do lots more research.

Pistol Shooter
04-16-12, 16:32
The HK 45C is a top tier sidearm, well tested, accurate and uber reliable.

If it fits your hand and you shoot it well, I highly recommend it.

Mine is a pleasure to shoot, is accurate and eats any ammo I feed it.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/001.jpg

The Rangers and Seals seem to like it very much too.

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun-reviews/new-hk45c-storms-through-best-ranger-competition,

ETA

HK has great customer service now and has had for several years.

badness
04-17-12, 16:12
lol i'm surprised this kid hasn't been banned yet. :suicide2:

a1cobbs
04-17-12, 16:52
Does anyone know if there is any difference in QC or manufacturing of the HK45c if it is German made or US? I suppose most newer production is from the NH plant.

Mjolnir
04-17-12, 21:16
Does anyone know if there is any difference in QC or manufacturing of the HK45c if it is German made or US? I suppose most newer production is from the NH plant.

None.

The Germans, like the Japanese, tend to be very proud of their engineering, QA and QC. They are also ANAL TO A FAULT about their "flawless" processes. Ask them and they'll pontificate for hours about them...

That said, I love the results.

Pistol Shooter
04-18-12, 16:49
lol i'm surprised this kid hasn't been banned yet. :suicide2:

Great contribution to the thread dude, I'm sure the OP appreciates your input. :(

Since you can't make your point clearly, what are you trying to say?

jyo
04-19-12, 02:33
I think the HK 45C is one of the finest smaller 45s on the market---mine is DA/SA with safety lever. If I am packin' a 45 it's going to be either my 45C or the Kahr P45.

Striker
04-19-12, 11:07
If I decide to move away from the .22LR idea and scoot right on ahead to a big-boy gun, I've decided it's gonna be the HK45C. I like everything about the gun, especially the fact that if not for financial reasons, it would currently be the standard sidearm for the U.S. military. It was the frontrunner in the Joint Combat Pistol program.

I like the polygonal rifling, O-ring barrel, ambidextrous controls, user replaceable grip panels, and 30% recoil reduction system. I also like how it also accepts 10-round HK45 magazines.

http://hk-usa.com/military_products/hk45c_general.asp

A couple of the accessories I was looking at for the weapon are the Silencerco Osprey and the Viridian X5L (Gen 2). They are both quality products, as far as I can tell.

http://www.silencerco.com/?section=Products&page=Osprey
http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/xl5-laser-sight

Does anyone have experience with anything I've listed? This is just brainstorming I guess, but I really am in the market for a quality military-grade handgun.

Based on this and your ".22 caliber" thread, I'm assuming you have little to no experience shooting handguns. If I misunderstood your posts, please correct me.

Have you ever shot an HK45C? If not, start there. What I like and what you like might be two different things. What other pistols have you shot? If you're new to shooting pistols, try renting and shooting a few before you buy. The range I go to allows you to rent a pistol for the beginner classes. Gives you a chance to shoot different pistols before you buy one and you get a basic shooting class as well. Win, win situation in my opinion. Even if you have some experience, if possible, go rent or borrow and shoot the pistol you're thinking of before buying.

Also, you're looking at $1200.00 worth of add on "accessories"; for what purpose? You can get a Streamlight TLR1 for $100.00, which is a great light for the money. A laser and a suppressor? I think you're better off with the buy ammo/take class/shoot gun option. And btw, .45 practice ammo is not cheap.

My point is that research is great, but all the internet research in the world does not make up for shooting the gun. You need a frame of reference to compare your experience with the gun against what other people are saying. And for as far as I can tell, you don't have that right now.

QuietShootr
04-19-12, 11:13
Based on this and your ".22 caliber" thread, I'm assuming you have little to no experience WITH ANYTHING. If I misunderstood your posts, please correct me.

Fixed that to more accurately reflect reality.

Can we get a "Ban" button?

badness
04-19-12, 14:16
Great contribution to the thread dude, I'm sure the OP appreciates your input. :(

Since you can't make your point clearly, what are you trying to say?

search his posts.

Littlelebowski
04-20-12, 19:40
I think the HK45c will go well with your .338 Lapua AR and Leupold CQBSS. We all look forward to seeing them.

LRB45
04-21-12, 06:13
Cut the OP some slack. Maybe he has not much experience but we all have to learn someway. Whether it be a .22, 9mm, or .45 pistol, a person can learn to shoot it just fine. I can remember when I was learning to shoot shotguns for Hunter Safety and we had to go shoot clay pigeons, my Dad let me borrow his ol' 1897 Winchester 12 gauge. That gun was big and cumbersome looking back but I never noticed because I was having a good time. A better fit probably would have been a .20 gauge but that is all we had.

If the Op wants a HK 45C, let him get one and run it. It is a heckuva pistol. In fact it is on my short list of future purchases. A handgun in 9mm probably would be a better option though. The only way I would think that a .22 would be better is maybe if he was the same age as my son who is 10. My son does not like shooting my Glock 19 and has said he would like a .22. On the other hand he gets bored shooting .22 rifles and loves shooting the AR.

Grizzly16
04-21-12, 06:43
Cut the OP some slack. Maybe he has not much experience but we all have to learn someway. Whether it be a .22, 9mm, or .45 pistol, a person can learn to shoot it just fine. I can remember when I was learning to shoot shotguns for Hunter Safety and we had to go shoot clay pigeons, my Dad let me borrow his ol' 1897 Winchester 12 gauge. That gun was big and cumbersome looking back but I never noticed because I was having a good time. A better fit probably would have been a .20 gauge but that is all we had.

If the Op wants a HK 45C, let him get one and run it. It is a heckuva pistol. In fact it is on my short list of future purchases. A handgun in 9mm probably would be a better option though. The only way I would think that a .22 would be better is maybe if he was the same age as my son who is 10. My son does not like shooting my Glock 19 and has said he would like a .22. On the other hand he gets bored shooting .22 rifles and loves shooting the AR.
no, he is a full on failure so far or a troll. Read his other posts.

LRB45
04-21-12, 08:31
no, he is a full on failure so far or a troll. Read his other posts.

Yeah I just did. Don't know what to think.

Here is a suggestion. Desert Eagle .50 caliber for the win!!!

Army Chief
04-21-12, 08:32
This is a thread about the HK45C -- not the virtues or vices of the OP. Let's stay on point, please.

AC

Rinspeed
04-21-12, 09:44
Cut the OP some slack. Maybe he has not much experience but we all have to learn someway.

I agree with that.

DeltaKilo
04-21-12, 11:37
The only thing I don't like about the HK45C is the grip. I have big hands, and it's just not comfortable for me as a pistol. The HK45 full-size is a great pistol, however, and I've run one interchangeably with my 1911 with good success. Still favor the 1911, tho.

Pistol Shooter
04-21-12, 16:56
search his posts.

Will do. My apologies.

Army Chief
04-21-12, 17:21
I was fairly astonished the first time I picked up a 45C. It is unquestionably an excellent design that is extremely well-made, but it feels much, much larger in the hand than the published dimensions would have you believe. I almost think it would be more instructive if the 45 and 45C were instead marketed as the 45XL and the 45 Standard, because nothing about the current Compact model felt particularly svelt or pared down to me. Granted, I'm not a polymer guy, and I didn't play around with alternate configurations, but even so, these are pretty substantial pistols.

AC

Ed L.
04-21-12, 21:32
I've had wierd experiences with the HK45 and the HK45C.

I first bought an HK45 when it came out, but later sold it when I found that I shot other guns I owned in a similar category (M&P45, USP40) better.

A few months ago I was shooting with a friend who with my prompting rented a full sized HK45. When I tried it I found I shot it much better than I did the last one. All those years of shooting classes and practice must have paid off. So I bought a full-sized.

A few weeks later I was shooting with a different friend who had an HK45 Compact. I found that I seemed to shoot the compact better than my full-sized. This is strange, because I rented an HK45 compact about 10 months ago side by side my HK USP40 and did not shoot it nearly as well as I did my USP40.

So to make a long story short, I wound up buying the HK45 compact as well. After shooting the hK45 and HK45C side by side, I seem to shoot the full sized a bit better.

One thing I have noticed with the HK45C is because of the shorter grip I sometimes pinch my right palm during speed reloads when the baseplate of the magazine catches the palm of my right hand which is holding the gun.

I now shoot both the HK45 and HK45C better than I do my HK USP40. I shoot all of the guns cocked and locked rather than DA/SA.

I would not recommend the HK45 or the HK45C for a newcomer as they are not as easy to learn to shoot with and .45 ammo is more than twice as expensive as 9mm ammo. Since the .45 has more recoil and muzzle jump, it is a harder gun to learn how to shoot with than 9mm and is more likely to cause a flinch.

dirvo85
08-22-12, 19:12
I love the HK45C, though I haven't shot another 45 to compare it to. I would love to try out an m&p 45c to see how it shoots. In my limited 100 or so rounds with the HK I thought it was easy to shoot and very solid!

VooDoo6Actual
08-22-12, 19:30
Superb pistol, no issues w/ mine whatsoever. BooKoo rnds downrange.
BooKoo DinkyDau good weapon.

Trigger is not the best, but no biggee once you learn to prep it right.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/photo-67.jpg

RyanB
08-22-12, 19:55
The HK 45C is a top tier sidearm, well tested, accurate and uber reliable.

If it fits your hand and you shoot it well, I highly recommend it.

Mine is a pleasure to shoot, is accurate and eats any ammo I feed it.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo220/cashbailey_photos/001.jpg

The Rangers and Seals seem to like it very much too.

http://www.gundigest.com/firearm-gun-reviews/new-hk45c-storms-through-best-ranger-competition,

ETA

HK has great customer service now and has had for several years.

Have their been public reports of Rangers using them? The silenced pistol I saw during a Ranger Batt open house was a G22.

BCA
08-23-12, 03:35

d90king
08-23-12, 04:16
The HK45C is an excellent pistol. Dead nuts reliable, very accurate for its size and has surprisingly light recoil for a .45.

It's not without its drawbacks such as shitty sights (easy fix, but on a 1k polymer pistol its kinda a drag and there are very few options), a just okay trigger, and a retarded rail that doesn't hold a proper WML...

I prefer the C over its full size counter part...

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-23-12, 08:01
Probably the best handgun in the world if durability and reliability are your top requirements. This should be the standard .45 handgun IMHO.

VooDoo6Actual
08-23-12, 10:17
Awesome picture! How are you liking that holster?

Thank you.

Holster works fine as does the BladeTech & 2 others I use for them depending on AO etc.

Salamander
08-23-12, 16:55
Looked at a HK45c a few months back, and found the grip to be a little bulky for my average sized hands. To hit the mag release required a slight shift of hand position. Other than that it felt very solid.

jonconsiglio
08-23-12, 17:08
Awesome handguns. If I were going to do it over again, I'd probably go with light LEM triggers. Very reliable and they just shoot so well for me.

Here's my 45c over my 45. I messed it up a little on the grip, but the size is correct.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/HK_45_45c.jpg

Mjolnir
08-26-12, 08:04
Each one reach one.

Mjolnir
08-26-12, 08:13
Both the HK45 and the HK45C are very nice pistols. Purchase the one that fits your hand/you shoot better.

Pointshoot
08-30-12, 18:26
Interesting comments by everyone. I have a USP 45compact that I've had since they first came out. Feels good in my XL sized hands. I'll have to check out the HK45 and HK45c for comparison.

deeHKman
08-31-12, 17:59
I carry the HK45c and it's a stellar gun and to me is the best carry .45 out there. Reliability being my first factor in all weapon's. In my younger year's i would not ever thought about a polymer gun but now it's all i have or plan to. Pro's far out weigh the con's. The fullsize i like alot but not quite as carry friendly.

davebee456
08-31-12, 22:33
I had one for years and loved it, sold it only to buy two pre 2009 glocks.
only glock handguns for me at the moment.
If I had the money I would love another.