PDA

View Full Version : Need a shore fishing rig..

Belmont31R
04-15-12, 23:10
Can spend about $500+- a reasonable amount.

Primary catch will be cats and bass from shore in Central TX.

If you can recommend me a "cheap" setup, a "moderate" setup, and a "pro" setup. Whats more important? The reel or rod? Flurocarbon or mono filament? List me a few good jigs to get started. Other basic equipment? Net, tacklebox, something to unhook the hook from the fishes mouth?

Any experienced fisherman around Lake Travis/Lake Georgetown?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

ryan
04-15-12, 23:22
If I recall correctly you have kids around, get an Ugly Stick they are just about impossible to break.

Im guessing a baitcaster is out, I like Shimano spinning reels.

What angling experience do you have?

Needle nosed pliers, Mono, probly wont need a net for awhile.

Bass lures; Rapala (s) my favorite is the original number 13 in black/silver, Rat-L-Trap (s) silver/blue or silver/black, buzzbait (s) in chartreuse or white 3/8s oz., Zoom 6" worms in scuppernong, motor oil, pumpkinseed, bullet weights in 1/4 oz. and 3/0 wide gap hooks.

Catfish; 3/0 hooks (I like the Mustad hook for catfish think its the "top gun" or some such mess), 3/4 egg sinkers, swivels, beads.

Rig for Catfish using the standard "Carolina Rig".

Im tired, feel free to PM for more or pictures.

Belmont31R
04-15-12, 23:30
If I recall correctly you have kids around, get an Ugly Stick they are just about impossible to break.

Im guessing a baitcaster is out, I like Shimano spinning reels.

Since the kids are in school now Im looking for some daddy peaceful time. Can get the kids rigs later once Im figuring out what Im doing. Used to fish all the time but it was when I was younger and not even close to the same species we have here.

I don't want junk but don't want to plunk down a shit ton of money either. Like a 6920 of setups.

ryan
04-15-12, 23:38
Ugly Stick, I have 5 different ones for different purposes.

You will need a more sensitive graphite stick for worm fishing bass.

See edit above.

ucrt
04-15-12, 23:44

I haven't fished in years but a Shimano Calcutta baitcasting reel was sort of a 6920 back then. I can't imagine it not being a good reel today.

Once you get your choices narrowed down to a few, I'd hit some Pawn Shops. Just be ready with knowledge of what you want and current prices. I have always been able to get PS's to go down on their price and sometimes (rarely) they are so off on their prices, I pay what they're asking.

I guess with you taking up lying ...I mean fishing, we're not going to be able to believe what you post anymore.... ;)

Good luck!

Belmont31R
04-15-12, 23:50

I haven't fished in years but a Shimano Calcutta baitcasting reel was sort of a 6920 back then. I can't imagine it not being a good reel today.

Once you get your choices narrowed down to a few, I'd hit some Pawn Shops. Just be ready with knowledge of what you want and current prices. I have always been able to get PS's to go down on their price and sometimes (rarely) they are so off on their prices, I pay what they're asking.

I guess with you taking up lying ...I mean fishing, we're not going to be able to believe what you post anymore.... ;)

Good luck!

Lol if I come up with the lake record Ill be sure to let you know...;)

Will look into the calcutta.

Have river fished and lake fished before. Just not for cats or bass. Will be a new experience and I have zero gear for fishing right now.

PaulL
04-16-12, 00:36
PM me and we'll talk. I have quite a bit of stuff I need to unload. I live near saltwater now so most of my freshwater stuff isn't getting used anymore.

ryan
04-16-12, 00:54
Just because some liars are fishermen doesnt mean all Fishermen are liars.

"The man that fishes hard does nothing easy"

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/ryan4570/eastercat1.jpg

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/ryan4570/c2ea153f.jpg

MegademiC
04-16-12, 11:45
how heavy of a fish are you looking to catch? I do mostly pond fishing - Never caught anything more than 8-10lbs (catfish) and various sized bass. If you plan on catching 20+ lb fish I cant help you but if you plan on catching 15lb or under, let me know and I'll pm you some stuff.

Also, you looking to use livebait/dough or are you gonna use artificial? If you want to actively fish - ugly sticks SUCK! If your just sitting in a chair waiting for a bite, they are fine.

obucina
04-16-12, 12:18
I run an older Penn 4400SS with 8lb Spiderwire and a 6ft Uglystick. I had a canal in the backyard when I was growing up and pops and I used to slay the bluegill, gars, etc I have water front property again now and can use the same rig.....For the bigger bass, I have an Abu Garcia Ambassador on a 6.5ft Shimano rod running 10lb Trilene.

Everything else is fly and salt water related.

40Arpent
04-16-12, 13:05
In my opinion, catfish and bass require two separate rigs. Baitcast reel for bass (obviously), spinning reel for catfish. Shimano reels, All Star rods. Tacklebox...get a soft-sided case filled with removable plastic boxes. Lures for bass: Strike King and Booyah spinner baits, buzz baits, and jigs; for soft plastics I like Zoom lizards and flukes. That's just scratching the surface though.

ryan
04-16-12, 15:23
In my opinion, catfish and bass require two separate rigs. Baitcast reel for bass (obviously), spinning reel for catfish. Shimano reels, All Star rods. Tacklebox...get a soft-sided case filled with removable plastic boxes. Lures for bass: Strike King and Booyah spinner baits, buzz baits, and jigs; for soft plastics I like Zoom lizards and flukes. That's just scratching the surface though.

I go the exact opposite to an extent, for catfish/hybrids/stripes and gar I use 7' Heavy action Ugly Sticks wearing an Abu Garcia 6600's spooled with 20# Ande mono. The bait clicker feature on these reels is the deal maker at times.

We have alot of Spotted Bass here and use spinning rods most of the time for them. The first is a 6' Medium action Ugly Stick Lite spinning rod wearing a Pinnacle reel, my Rapala is married to this rod. The other is a Challenger IM8 wearing a Shimano spinning reel that keeps a finesse worm setup on it most of the time. Both of these are spooled with 10# Ande mono.

When the Largemouths are more active I will move to 6'6 Fenwick wearing a 5500C Ambassdeur spooled with 15# Ande and it will be rigged either with a pig-n-jig or a texas rigged worm. If the fish are deeper holding off points, humps or creek channels I will have my 7' Kunnan wearing a Carolina rigged Zoom centipede or other 4'' worm, this also doubles as my Buzzbait rod. Crankbaits/Spnnerbaits are thrown on a Precip Crankin rod wearing a 5500C Abu spooled with 15# Ande.

Like 40 said this is just scratching the surface, fishing from the bank you can expect the fish to be more pressured. Fishing smaller lures more slowly may pay off for bass. Catfish are a toss up as to what they prefer, but night crawlers and chicken livers are a good start. Cut bait (Bluegills etc.) is killer around here.

One must have is a good ultra light spinning rig with an assortment of Rooster tails, Crappie jigs and ultra light plugs in various cricket/crustacean/amphibian forms. It is almost a guaranteed fish catcher and how to acquire good cut bait. I use a 5'6 light action Berkley Lightnin Rod wearing a small Abu spinning reel spooled with 6# Ande mono.

RD62
04-16-12, 19:36
Ugly Stik, nice Shimano Spinning Reel, Gamakatsu hooks, and a pack of Zoom worms...

Rig 'em weedless and let the fun begin!

I can catch a half dozen or more bass in my in-laws pond in an afternoon walking the bank with this setup.