PDA

View Full Version : Quick Glock Question

Dionysusigma
04-16-12, 00:26
I have a Gen 3 G17, but was wanting to get something smaller. The quick and seemingly-obvious answers are the G19 and G26, but of course there's a catch.

I have larger hands, which is why I went with the G17 over the 19 in the first place - the finger grooves on the 17 fit quite well; but with the 19, they're too cramped and the ridges hit in the centerline of each of my fingers.

So, my question is this: Is the grip of the 26 (specifically the width of the finger grooves) closer to that of the G17, or is it closer to the G19? :confused:

Pax
04-16-12, 00:45
Buy a 19, Dremel and some sanding and abrasive buff tips. Remove the finger groves.

If you would like to refinish the sanded areas, the simple options are always A Grip from Lone Wolf or grip tape. A cheap wood burning kit if youre feeling fancy or a simple soldering iron from your local Radio Shack that you can pick up for a couple bucks will let you stipple the area. Smooth always works too, these are just some options if aesthetics are important to you.

There are several smiths and shops across the country that will remove a 19's finger grooves for you if you do not want to for any reason. If professional grip reprofiling is something youre interested in, just let the forums know and theyll point you in the right direction.

If you find the grip is overall too short, try a baseplate extension if grip is that important to you on a defensive gun.

Wake27
04-16-12, 00:57
^ What he said, all of it.

djegators
04-16-12, 07:07
I have large hands too, and I have the same problem with the gen3 19, so I assumed I would not like the 26 at all. However, after several hundred rounds down range, I find it fairly easy to shoot, despite only getting two fingers fully on the grip. And yes, the finger grooves are more similar to the 19, but try shooting one, it may surprise you.

glocktogo
04-16-12, 08:54
^ What he said, all of it.

X3. It's the best way to go for large hands.

JHC
04-16-12, 09:18
In my experience the G26 gives up so little to the G19 in performance (timers and targets) that since you have the big gun; the G17, consider the smallest gun next. Decide later if you need to fill the middle role. I find very little that I can do with a G19 that I can't do with a G26 (sub 6.0 second FAST, El Pres in 10 sec or better, or A zone hits at 25 yds).

feedramp
04-16-12, 09:31
And if you get the +1 mag extension baseplates for g26 mags that add the extra finger grip on the frontside, it'll even give you a full grip purchase.

imo, the only thing you give up with a g26 is the ability to mount a light on it (no rail).

okie john
04-16-12, 15:40
Buy a 19, Dremel and some sanding and abrasive buff tips. Remove the finger groves.

+1, except I use a wood rasp. It cuts and stipples at the same time if you use the coarse blade.

Okie John

PLCedeno
04-16-12, 15:44
In my experience the G26 gives up so little to the G19 in performance (timers and targets) that since you have the big gun; the G17, consider the smallest gun next. Decide later if you need to fill the middle role. I find very little that I can do with a G19 that I can't do with a G26 (sub 6.0 second FAST, El Pres in 10 sec or better, or A zone hits at 25 yds).

This. Plus i find that with the plus 2 extension the G26 actually fits me better than the 19. I have large hands.

glocktogo
04-16-12, 17:44
One thing the 19 does better than the 26 is reloads, particularly for those with large or fleshy hands.

Texas42
04-16-12, 17:52
Have you tried a gen2? I'm unaware how they are, but they won't have the finger grooves (or the rail).

Frailer
04-16-12, 19:38
...So, my question is this: Is the grip of the 26 (specifically the width of the finger grooves) closer to that of the G17, or is it closer to the G19? :confused:

The uppermost finger grove on the 26 is like the 17--wider than that on the 19.

wingspar
04-17-12, 14:19
I have two G17's, and have shot the G19 and want one. Grip fits perfect, and even feels a little better than the G17. I’ve shot the G26, and don’t like it. Grip too short. Jumps around in my hands. I’ve known people to remove a little bit of the trigger guard where it meets the frame allowing them to move their hands up just enough so that their hands fit the grip more comfortably. If it was me, I’d try that first before I removed the finger grooves. I know a lot of people remove the finger grips, but I have to wonder what that does to the resale value if that is important to you.

ck1
04-17-12, 14:38
The uppermost finger grove on the 26 is like the 17--wider than that on the 19.

Agree. After going back and forth between 17/34's and 19's a bunch of times, the 26 feels better in my hands when I want something smaller.

JonInWA
04-17-12, 17:11
If you're satisfied with the grip and fingergrooves of a Gen 3 G17, have you considered and/or experimented with a Gen4 G19 or a Gen4 G26? My thought is that with the medium or large backstrap attached your issues might be successflly alleviated.

Best, Jon