PDA

View Full Version : The 1907 Pattern Sling

rojocorsa
04-16-12, 02:52
Does anyone else feel as if this kind of sling is the best "traditional" rifle sling design?

Or do any of you gentlemen have other sling designs in mind? I'm here to learn, so it cannot hurt to ask this.

The reason I think the 1907 is the best is because once you understand how to install it correctly, the sling is straightforward. I actually found it easier to use than the USGI websling (once it's adjusted correctly. Also, I really appreciate the fact that it does not feel like a slipknot on your arm the way the websling does. Also, this sling looks very classy, IMO.

I have a 1907 on my .22 trainer and on my Lee-Enfield, since its period sling is just a canvas carry strap. I'd put one on my K-31, but I am left handed and the mounting points are right hand only. But they will fit, btw...

I understand that leather perhaps is not the best material in the long term, but then again--you don't see such slings on modern fighting rifles. Also, slipknot tight or not, I do think our websling is the best in its class as well.

Bruce in WV
04-16-12, 13:20
I like them for non-tactical applications. YMMV
I use the 1907 pattern on my AR varmint rifle. I don't shoot from a bench or table like many of the p-dogs folks, usually walk in to a coyote stand and shoot from a slinged-up sitting position.
I also use Ching 3-point slings on my bolt action big game rifles. See Jeff Cooper's 'The Art of the Rifle' for a good chapter on those. In essence, it describes it as having most/all of the advantages of the 1907, but you can get into it quicker.

Robb Jensen
04-16-12, 13:22
I use the synthetic ones from Sinclair on my 2 HiPower setup 20" guns.

mark5pt56
04-16-12, 14:31
http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

Deputy Dan
04-16-12, 19:38
Don't know about best "traditional" sling... every sling fulfills its original design intent... to allow a person to sling arms.

The Model 1907 was designed by Col. Wright of the Ohio National Guard in 1907 to facilitate marksmanship activities of the Ohio NG Rifle team. It follows an evolution from the M1887 used on the Trapdoor and Krag, and went through a series of modifications just about every year from 1903 through 1907. Every US Military sling prior to the adoption of the M1907 was basically a carry strap.

The Kerr is a good sling too, if you know how to adjust it. The M1923 sling is a web adaptation of the M1907, and the designer should occupy a special place in hell to burden troops with that monstrosity.

+1 on the synthetic M1907s... good stuff. The current MRT marked leather M1907s not so much... leather is too thin...they stretch and the keepers are garbage. Turner and Tam make good ones.

rojocorsa
04-16-12, 20:54
http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/slinghelp/slinghelp.htm

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that traditional slings threw off the POI on AR rifles because of the tension they put on the front sling swivel?

Dan, thank you for the background history.

Bruce, I am googling and learning about the Ching sling as we speak. Thanks.

brickboy240
04-17-12, 12:44
I use an M1907 on my Garand and my sporterized 03 Springfield 30-06 and sporterized 8mm K98 Mauser.

Dad used this sling in the Corps and got me used to it with the sporterized 03 (which he built in the early 70s and gave to me a few years ago). I just got used to it and learned how to use it and for hunting...I love it.

I don't want it on every rifle but for my centerfire deer getters...the old M1907 is hard to beat. I can tell by the reactions of most of my friends that very few know how to use this sling anymore. Too bad...it is steady and helps me in accurate shooting quite a bit.

- brickboy240

Matt-man
04-18-12, 00:00
I've used leather and synthetic versions on my M1A service rifle. I like this style better than the web sling, but to be honest I haven't used the web sling nearly as much as the M1907 style.

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought that traditional slings threw off the POI on AR rifles because of the tension they put on the front sling swivel?

Yup. A freefloat tube is a common modification on ARs that are used for service rifle competition. The tube has the handguard cap and the sling swivel attached to it, so that the barrel including the FSB is completely floated while preserving the appearance of an A2 upper.

A picture's worth a thousand words: http://www.compasslake.com/float_tube.htm

rojocorsa
04-18-12, 11:20
Thank you very much for that explanation! That all makes sense now!

I know no one does service rifle shoots with carbines, but the same concept applies to a carbine with a sling and an FF tube too, right?

mark5pt56
04-19-12, 09:45

Dan, thank you for the background history.

Bruce, I am googling and learning about the Ching sling as we speak. Thanks.

You can influence the barrel if not floated. You just have to decide how you are using your rifle/carbine and what you want from a sling.

Slings are for two things
1-carry aid
2-shooting aid

Either one has various levels of use and usefulness, the field is wide open for you to fiddle with, beat your head against the wall with and at some point, settle on and be happy with.