PDA

View Full Version : Springfield's XDM, Concern's Over One Handed Combat Conditions????

AuProspector
04-16-12, 17:51
I remember an instructor at a large firearms training center talking about a problem with the operating of a Springfield XDM, if you could only use one hand in a combat situation (where one hand is injured), and the operation of the slide and/or the release of it and/or the grip safety, and to operate the slide one handed (think FTF/E's).

I'm trying to decide between the Glock 4th Gen's or the XDM.

I'm sorry for being vague, I just can't remember what the instructor said, only that the Glock was easier to clear one handed. Is this true?

Not bashing anything, just collecting information to make a decision and see if anyone has a preference. Why?

Thank you for your help a head of time.

Guns-up.50
04-16-12, 18:05
If you are asking if one handed operation with a XDM is possible I would venture to say yes, but you would need to pratice either way. As my expirence is more with the glock and less than limited with the xdm I cant be 100% but I dont see how the xdm would hinder one handed manipulations outside of the grip safety.

That being said ,pick the one you want get some ammo run it then, run it some more, take some classes either way oned handed operations is akward no matter how you look at it, I pratice pretty regularly and still am not a master..
Good luck

Bowie Tactical
04-16-12, 18:49
The XD XDM series has a grip safety set up that not only locks the trigger from firing but also locks the slide from moving fully if the grip safety is not fully depressed. I see in training a lot of people that they do very well with both guns until we really start rolling with the guns. Then a very high number start to have trouble. They miss the grip safety on hand movemant and on one hand malfunction clearance they can't maintain the grip safety and therefore can't get the gun back up and running. That could be life threatening in a real fight and this is just training stress. For that reason I can't recommend the XD XDm pistols as fighting guns. It happens way to often to call it a fluke. I am not saying it happens every time but I see it way to often. It is a design flaw that needs to be addressed but it won't be until they start losing enough sales. For this reason I know of a lot of police departments and officers that won't allow the gun to be in the duty or off duty holster.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical

ovlov28
04-16-12, 21:07
If you get one, train with it for what you need to do with it, if that is HD, duty, competition... whatever. I do dry-fire drills almost daily with mine, and make sure to incorporate one handed operations into the mix when I do so. At first it was cumbersome to do, but over a month or so all types of manipulation become much more natural, and after 12 months with it, I feel that if I ever needed to do one handed manipulations that I would be able to with little drama (there is always a what-if factor though, goes for anything you would carry I guess).

There are outside factors that can come into effect as well. I have large hands and have little trouble reaching and holding the grip at different angles while having to depress the safety. Smaller hands might have trouble. I also have Trijicon HD sights which have a 10-8 style on the rear having a ledge for catching on your belt or gear in one handed situations, which helped a lot over the factory sights. YMMV.

I would not rule it out, just know that you will need to learn the system and train with it. I am a happy XD owner, and that is my two cents.

Packman73
04-16-12, 21:36
I have had several XDs and currently carry a XDm. One-handed slide manipulation is no more difficult for me with an XD than it is with any other pistol. Both are great pistols but you need to practice with whatever you get like mentioned above.

NCPatrolAR
04-16-12, 21:46
The grip safety can cause issues for people. I did teach a One Hand Only handgun class this weekend and had a shooter using a 9mm XDm. He didn't have an issue with the grip safety and do anything to include clearing double feeds with only his support hand

Axcelea
04-16-12, 21:50
Yeah cannot operate the slide without the grip safety depressed. Although possible it takes more skill and reliably doing it diminishes if your fatigued, doing weak handed, etc.

If fear of injuring your strong or week hand (either while in a fight or just slamming it in a car door and having to go without it), not having extra hours to practice it (better off spending more time doing other things imo), or what ever concerns you then you might want to stay away especially if the Glock suits you for the important needs.

CDR_Glock
04-16-12, 21:53
I remember an instructor at a large firearms training center talking about a problem with the operating of a Springfield XDM, if you could only use one hand in a combat situation (where one hand is injured), and the operation of the slide and/or the release of it and/or the grip safety, and to operate the slide one handed (think FTF/E's).

I'm trying to decide between the Glock 4th Gen's or the XDM.

I'm sorry for being vague, I just can't remember what the instructor said, only that the Glock was easier to clear one handed. Is this true?

Not bashing anything, just collecting information to make a decision and see if anyone has a preference. Why?

Thank you for your help a head of time.

I have one. It's a pain because the grip safety has to be depressed for the slide to go back. I'm sure it can be done but if you never tried it, it's not easy.

I prefer something that can be easily used. I have 2 Glocks in 45 ACP but I have a 1911 and a P220, also. I don't recommend generation 4, either. I prefer Gen3.

vicious_cb
04-16-12, 22:02
The XD XDM series has a grip safety set up that not only locks the trigger from firing but also locks the slide from moving fully if the grip safety is not fully depressed. I see in training a lot of people that they do very well with both guns until we really start rolling with the guns. Then a very high number start to have trouble. They miss the grip safety on hand movemant and on one hand malfunction clearance they can't maintain the grip safety and therefore can't get the gun back up and running. That could be life threatening in a real fight and this is just training stress. For that reason I can't recommend the XD XDm pistols as fighting guns. It happens way to often to call it a fluke. I am not saying it happens every time but I see it way to often. It is a design flaw that needs to be addressed but it won't be until they start losing enough sales. For this reason I know of a lot of police departments and officers that won't allow the gun to be in the duty or off duty holster.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical

Thanks for posting this. Your thoughts on this pretty much mirror what any instructor worth training with is saying. Unfortunately too many people are emotionally attached to their pistols and will write this off as some inconsequential fact.

CLJ94104
04-16-12, 22:08
With training you won't have issues with the XDm and one handed operation. Become intimately familiar with whatever you carry.

anthony1
04-17-12, 02:11
An xd is not in the same league as a glock for a multitude of reasons.

But ln regards to the grip safety however, I got an xd in a trade deal once. The spring in the grip safety moved out of the recess it sits in and wont allow the grip safety to fully depress. Turned it into a completely non-functional paperweight, cant rack slide or pull trigger. Its been sitting in a drawer for a year, kinda forgot all about it.

djmorris
04-17-12, 08:26
Another day, another XD/XDM thread asking "Why not?" .... :confused:

The XDM is very overpriced. If you want "budget duty" gun, which I'm not sure why anyone would, then the cheaper XD series is the way to go. **** the XDM, you're paying a premium price for more problems, IMO. Don't fall victim to their marketing scheme.

Regular XD's are decent guns if you're getting a good deal and know what to expect.

Jim D
04-17-12, 10:44
With training you won't have issues with the XDm and one handed operation. Become intimately familiar with whatever you carry.

Except that numerous experienced trainers have noticed that NOT to be true in their experience.

Lots of people have been able to successfully "make do" with sub-par designs, but it is an unnecessary hurdle that you can only hope you'll still be able to clear, if it ever comes down to it.

Packman73
04-17-12, 11:45
I'm sure there has been as many, if not more, Glock kabooms then there have been XD malfunctions. My XDs and XDms have not let me down once in 7 years.

Failure2Stop
04-17-12, 11:53
This has been discussed many times, recently.
I am closing this one down as it is going down the same road as they all do.