PDA

View Full Version : Is the Mossie Tactics 2400 Light Mount viable?

SW-Shooter
04-16-12, 18:03
Is the Mossie Tactics 2400 Light Mount a viable hard use light mount? Would it survive being banged around and treated like a Private treats their beloved M4 in an FTX environment?

Oscar 319
04-16-12, 18:55
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1277636&postcount=175

I have been torturing mine for a month. So far, so good. I have not threw it in to any fox holes, or struck any IED's. I have dropped, banged and bashed it with no ill effects.

SW-Shooter
04-16-12, 19:08
I read that thread but there isn't much info from actual end users that have put its through its paces.

PRGGodfather
04-16-12, 21:38
Some third-party endurance testing is in-progress. We will release that information as soon as we are able. We are pleased so far.

PRGGodfather
04-21-12, 12:02
We know of at least one fellow who dropped his gun sideways directly on the MMM. His FSB got twisted, but the Midnight Mount was straight.

That said, anything can broken. Again, some third party endurance testing is underway. We will let you know how it goes, but so far it has been golden.

PRGGodfather
04-21-12, 13:53
And anyone interested in participating in a formal T&E program should contact us at info@battlecomp.com -- there is some paperwork to complete.

The MT2400FSB is a lot stronger than some folks think. The SME's that have used them have not suggested even once that its strength is insufficient.

Will it survive a blast from an IED? Dunno. Yet.

Robb Jensen
04-21-12, 14:36
I have one and think you damage/destroy the attached light before you do the mount. I have a Surefire X300'on mine and I'm sure the plastic picatinny mount on the light itself will give up before the Mossie mount will.

SW-Shooter
04-21-12, 15:02
It's good to have real user feedback, it beats speculation.

.308holes
04-21-12, 16:17
I have one on my M4 with a Surefire X300, and 8000+ rounds later, hundreds of hours teaching with it, using it....only the X300 shows signs of needing parts. That being said, so does the X300 that has been mounted to my duty gun for an excess of 13,000 rounds. NOT a fault of the Mossie mount, Surefire is to blame there.

A tally of over 7 weeks in live fire shoothouses, static and dynamic ranges to include bounding, dismounting from armored subs, bearcats, in and out of VTAC barriers, knocked off walls and shit while it is slung and I am using my hands for other tasks, it is as tight and as straight as the day I mounted it. Not to mention, I have no idea the flights after being handled by the TSA and flight crews in my kit....NO Issues at all.

I recommend it to (and have) to any and all who move into harms way. Some of the guys I have trained do use them,( not many since they are issued the Insight kit) but some use them on secondary rifles.

I will pass on any AAR's I get to the guys @ BCE or Mossie Tactics.

Recommend it? Highly

tysonf
04-21-12, 17:07
Good stuff. I'd like to hear what an 11B with 12 months of afghan missions has to say about it. I doubt it'll have issues in classes or for most LE duty. My question is will it stand up to bounding, climbing walls, combat rolls :) and such. I love the ingenuity. I'm gonna put one on my work gun and see.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vgeyqg

.308holes
04-21-12, 17:39
Good stuff. I'd like to hear what an 11B with 12 months of afghan missions has to say about it. I doubt it'll have issues in classes or for most LE duty. My question is will it stand up to bounding, climbing walls, combat rolls :) and such. I love the ingenuity. I'm gonna put one on my work gun and see.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vgeyqg

Mine has been through all of that but the combat rolls. Ladder wells, hell holes, banged off breaching kit,helo OPS and then some. I am no longer involved with "street work" or training beat cops, or even SWAT cops anymore. I am in a "different" training arena....it is as described above, MINUS the Afghan dust. LOL

SW-Shooter
04-21-12, 18:34
I have one on my M4 with a Surefire X300, and 8000+ rounds later, hundreds of hours teaching with it, using it....only the X300 shows signs of needing parts. That being said, so does the X300 that has been mounted to my duty gun for an excess of 13,000 rounds. NOT a fault of the Mossie mount, Surefire is to blame there.

A tally of over 7 weeks in live fire shoothouses, static and dynamic ranges to include bounding, dismounting from armored subs, bearcats, in and out of VTAC barriers, knocked off walls and shit while it is slung and I am using my hands for other tasks, it is as tight and as straight as the day I mounted it. Not to mention, I have no idea the flights after being handled by the TSA and flight crews in my kit....NO Issues at all.

I recommend it to (and have) to any and all who move into harms way. Some of the guys I have trained do use them,( not many since they are issued the Insight kit) but some use them on secondary rifles.

I will pass on any AAR's I get to the guys @ BCE or Mossie Tactics.

Recommend it? Highly

The kind of stuff I was looking to find out. I have gone to TLR-1s's on all of my pistols so I figured I should just convert all of my AR's to the same lighting system, muscle memory and all.

ETA: And whoosh, it hit me. I already have the Battle Arms Bad Ass on my AR's. So off to find a good place to order the MT2400 and anything else I've missed in the past few months..

.308holes
04-22-12, 01:27
....and I need to try some Bad Ass selectors on my rifles now that you mention it.

I did see that Brownell's now carries the Mossie Mount:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45575/Product/AR-15-M16-MOSSIE-MIDNIGHT-MOUNT

Joe R.
04-22-12, 21:30
I have been using the Mossie Mount for about 5 months now with no issues. It has survived multiple training/range days, banging around in the back of the car and has not been babied in any way. To this point I have seen zero issues.

Looking at it from an LE viewpoint (my only frame of reference as I have zero MIL experience), I can see no reason not to recommend this mount.

As an alternative to rails, for guys who like the 12 o'clock mounting position it rocks.