PDA

View Full Version : Strange Forum Behavior for Computer Experts

wingspar
04-16-12, 19:59
A couple of days ago, all the vender icons at the top of the page disappeared, replaced with black boxes. I wondered if some work was being done on the forum. Then I tried reading a sticky called “AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories”. It was useless. Short paragraphs and short lines with huge spaces between them. I tried looking at it later, and same thing, but I realized there should have been images in those big blank spaces, so out of curiosity, I turned on my other half’s computer, and went to that thread. On her computer, all the vendor icons are there, and the “AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories” thread is loaded with graphs. Now, the thread has some meaning.

I have not installed any new software, and have not blocked anything. It does not make any difference whether I am logged in or not. I see images in every thread I read except this one sticky. Does anyone have any idea as to why these images are all of a sudden not visible to me?

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like on my computer.

http://www.pbase.com/wingspar/image/142729911/original.jpg

rojocorsa
04-16-12, 20:40
All the sponsor/vendor ads are gone for me as well.

However, I can use and see the forum here normally with no problem. I even went and looked at the thread the OP was talking about, and I could see the graphs and charts. I just cant see the ads on the top.

ryr8828
04-16-12, 20:45
It might help to know what browser you're using, and you might try a different browser to see how that works.
Sounds like you have images blocked.

wingspar
04-16-12, 22:15
I’m using Firefox on an XP SP3 machine. Two computers. Same OS, same browser. Everything looks fine on her computer, but what you see in my screen shot is what I see. I have not blocked anything, and this all worked fine till about two days ago.

I tried with IE 8, and the vender icons are there, but the images are missing from that thread.

hardtimes790
04-17-12, 00:29
OP, if you are running Adblock Plus(Firefox browser), at the top of the browser click on 'tools' then under the Adblock Plus dropdown menu click on 'disable for M4carbine.net'.

wingspar
04-17-12, 01:26
OP, if you are running Adblock Plus(Firefox browser), at the top of the browser click on 'tools' then under the Adblock Plus dropdown menu click on 'disable for M4carbine.net'.

Well, that got the vendor ads back, but still no images in that “AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=65679)” sticky. Why would this just start happening?

rojocorsa
04-17-12, 02:20
Hmmm. I have FF and adblock, and I've been using both of them forever, and this is the first time they are blocked out.

Calguns.net has the same kinds of ads on top of their page, and I can see those just fine, like always.

Grizzly16
04-17-12, 08:03
What other addons do you have? And have you looked at the page source to see where the images are hosted? Adblock and ghostery/noscript can cause issues like this. They maintain a list of sights that have been flagged as ads/spams/scams by the community and block all reference to them. It can be a bit annoying but after seeing all the tracking images most sites put out there I"ll never browse with out them.

wingspar
04-17-12, 11:07
What other addons do you have? And have you looked at the page source to see where the images are hosted? Adblock and ghostery/noscript can cause issues like this. They maintain a list of sights that have been flagged as ads/spams/scams by the community and block all reference to them. It can be a bit annoying but after seeing all the tracking images most sites put out there I"ll never browse with out them.

Adblock is the only FF addon I use. The images are hosted at a site called box.net. I don’t see any reference to box.net in Adblock.

I drug my netbook out this morning cause I haven’t used it for a few months to charge the battery, and that thread looks fine on it also. It’s just my main computer, and this only started happening a few days ago.

Adblock is not on either of my other two computers, so maybe this is Adblock related? If so, why would this just start happening?

Kokopelli
04-17-12, 11:17
Adblock is the only FF addon I use. The images are hosted at a site called box.net. I don’t see any reference to box.net in Adblock.

I drug my netbook out this morning cause I haven’t used it for a few months to charge the battery, and that thread looks fine on it also. It’s just my main computer, and this only started happening a few days ago.

Adblock is not on either of my other two computers, so maybe this is Adblock related? If so, why would this just start happening?

Normally it's due to a update.. Updates, while necessary, are responsible most computer problems these days. Sometimes it's a server update other times a OS update on your computer and still other times it's a application update. I keep FF, Chrome, Safari and IE all running for those occasions.. Of course I cheat and also have Windows 7, Apple and Linux workstations running.. Ron

Grizzly16
04-17-12, 13:13

What version of windows? And have you tried rebooting? Also, have you downloaded a new hosts file?

wingspar
04-17-12, 13:49
What version of windows? And have you tried rebooting? Also, have you downloaded a new hosts file?

Windows XP SP3. This has been going on for a few days now, and the computer gets turned off every night, and on occasion, rebooted during the day. I have not downloaded a new hosts file.

ra2bach
05-27-12, 14:22
aha! I have XP/SP3 and I noticed something funny too. some pictures here disappeared and I can't open any of my mail headers. started in the last couple days. something change???

OK, I checked and I don't have the same issues with IE. and then I looked at Firefoc Tools and I don't have adblock Plus so....

curiouser and curiouser... everything fine now. even my email :blink: