PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades to a carry G19?

TeamGrazzi
04-16-12, 22:28
I am getting a G19 for carry (and possibly IDPA or GSSF). What changes are best and I do understand this question is going to have a variety of answers.

I am new to the CC game and notice that a lot of people have 2 of their carry weapons, is this just to keep the round count down on the one you carry ?

Wake27
04-16-12, 22:34
What generation are you looking at getting?

Sights would probably be number one I would think. Everything else is going to take some getting used to to figure out what you want to change. LAV and Tango Down have some great options for the controls, such as slide and magazine releases but you should figure out how you like the stock options first. They also just released some magazine base plates that have a few nice features. There is also a backstrap addition that offers more of a beavertail and changes the grip angle some. And some people change out the connector for a lighter trigger pull. However, I don't know if all or any of these are legal for different competitions. I think I remember seeing at least one item that wasn't IDPA or IPSC legal so keep that in mind. Also a lot of people will stipple or cut down their frames for a better grip.

I'm not saying any of these are a good idea, but they're probably the most common upgrades done and I don't think I've heard anything bad about any of them. The connector is the only thing I have done so far, but I wanted to stay OEM and use mine for CCW as well so I use the Glock Connector 5, which drops the trigger pull by about .5 pounds.

First and foremost make sure you get a good holster for CCW. I've quickly learned that there are about 19 billion options for holsters. And many of them are good, its just preference.

http://www.nettac.com/Glock-Gear_c_31.html

RagweedZulu
04-16-12, 22:36
Get two and train with both. If one ever goes down or gets taken for any reason, you're still covered. Don't keep one pristine. It needs breaking in too. Run them both equally if you decide to get two.

Please don't get tempted to modify your Über-reliable Glock. I swap out the factory plastic sights on all of mine for steel night sights, maybe stipple the frames for a better grip and then leave them alone. With very few exceptions, every time I see a Glock go down during a hard-use training course, it's something to do with a tungsten firing pin, an extended slide stop, a super-power guide rod spring or an over sized "easier to push" mag release. These guns run well right out of the box. Buy one, swap out for some durable sights, then use all your "gun decoration" money on practice ammo and range time. If you ever really need the gun, you'll be glad you did.

TeamGrazzi
04-16-12, 22:48
@wake - prob a Gen 4

@rag - after I read your reply I realized I wasn't very clear with my question.

Take 2....
Do I need to change out the sights? If so are there ones that are any better for carry as in easy to draw with, fast on target, can be used equally as effective day or night... That sort of thing.

Does the extended mag release really make a difference?

Is it necessary to stipple a Gen 4 with their supposed textured grip?

How much do after market mag base plates really help?

Titanium guide rods and polished barrels are a little ahead of me at this point so in my mind these were not the upgrades I was thinking of, it just didn't get typed like that. :)

Wake27
04-16-12, 22:51
I personally disagree with the whole "two is one, one is none" thing, but that's all preference OP. I believe there is prepared and then there is unnecessarily prepared. I had a long discussion somewhere else about it, but if your budget allows you to buy and support 2, then go for it. Otherwise, spend that extra few hundred on one or two good holsters, 5 or so magazines, night sights, and ammo.

jeffreywt
04-16-12, 23:17
GSSF doesn't allow many of the mods mentioned here.

IDPA and IPSC, it varies but generally you're looking at no external modifications beyond sights to stay legal there.

My G19 has a set of Ameriglo sights (GL-229-OP), a 3.5lb connector and NY1 trigger spring. Usually I'm running an attached SureFire x300 in a Bladetech IWB. Sometimes I run it in a Milt Sparks VMII when I don't feel like carrying the light around and want something a bit more comfy.

Beyond that setup, I can't think of anything else that would make it better. Unlike my G17 that I shoot in matches, I don't dick around with springs in my carry gun.

Pax
04-16-12, 23:21
I would still avoid Gen 4. I would, and did several times, buy a late production Gen 3 over a Gen 4 knowing that I would have erratic ejection. At least a Gen 3 will consistently get the casing out of the gun. My 0.02.

It is absolutely necessary to install metal aftermarket sights on any new Glock. A simple drop onto a hard surface and youre looking at a broken and unusable sighting system. Anything by Trijicon gets my money. Ive used their Glock sights on carry guns in the past and their optics on ARs, damned good stuff.

Extending your mag release is, like most else, a matter of personal preference. You run more of a risk of the mag dropping free accidentally when holstered or when the weapon is violently manipulated. There is very little chance that you will ever need to reload a 19 in a defensive encounter so the idea that being able to not change your grip may save your life seems a little far fetched to me. If this is exclusively an IDPA/GSSF gun, perhaps decreasing your reload times is important to you. Your decision.

It is not necessary to stipple any Glock. I highly recommend trying stippling on a PMAG or something else more expendable before you commit to permanently mucking up your frame. Alternatively, just have it professionally done. Personally, I prefer A Grip for Glocks. Again, my 0.02.

Aftermarket mag baseplates are not in any way necessary. First of all, the only thing they can possibly help with is stripping a locked mag out of a stock frame. Even in this case, unless the gun has a grip plug, the stock frame features a cutout in the rear of the magwell that allows shooters to do the same thing the baseplate does. If the gun does have a grip plug to aid in speed reloading or to keep debris out of the trigger group, halfmoon cutouts in the magwell's base can be made by any ape with a Dremel and a grinding or sanding tip in 5 minutes and the same effect is again accomplished with OEM baseplates. As far as marking the mags for ID purposes, a couple bucks gets you a soldering iron from Radio Shack that will mark any and ALL of your mags, not just Glock ones, however you like and more permanently than any paint system. And personally, I prefer to mark my mags and baseplates, not just baseplates. Easy to accidentally swap baseplates when cleaning mags and screw everything up. In addition to all of this, the Vickers baseplate is wider than the OEM baseplate which will cause worse printing of both the gun and any spare mag you do carry. In addition to all. of. this. It is unlikely that your Glock will ever experience a malfunction that locks the mag in the gun. Just. Sayin.

In short my advice boils down to: buy a brand new Gen 3 Model 19, Trijicon HD Tritium sights in the color of your choice and forget about most other modifications until you have several hundred rounds through the gun. A stainless steel captured guide rod assembly is fine by me as well.

sammage
04-16-12, 23:32
Some good info:

http://community.greygrouptraining.com/2011/12/24/the-danger-close-glock-school.aspx

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99209

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=78354

warpedcamshaft
04-16-12, 23:36
Here are my personal thoughts and recommendations for Glocks:

Extremely Important:

1: In my opinion, the factory Glock plastic sights need to be replaced swiftly on a weapon intended for defensive applications. The stock plastic sights get chewed up quickly from draw stroke practice and one handed manipulation.

2: Grip plugs are a great addition to keep lint and other garbage from migrating up the massive garbage funnel in the handle and up into the important bits. In my experience, the grip plug enhances the Glock's ability to resist dirt and other particulates and is worth the investment. I have had pieces of plant matter get chopped off during prone drills in tall grass... and many users who only fire on a flat range would never encounter this, so please learn from my experience and invest.

3: Get a solid holster. You need to think of the holster as part of the weapon system and be sure to get a high quality unit. The holster functions as safety mechanism; protects the gun and you; and needs to be a squared away and high quality piece.

A hand held light is also a great investment from a defensive standpoint.

Optional/Personal Preference (Perhaps after you get training and time on the gun):

Don't spend a ton of money on modifications until after you have received some training/instruction and know you are properly handling the weapon. Many issues begin to come out in classes and timed drills that people never realize until they get there.

Some users install extended slide releases and/or magazine releases. These parts can greatly aid while using gloves or when your hands are cold or sweaty (or covered in blood from slicing your finger with a Benchmade). I recommend using factory Glock parts or the Vicker's slide stop and mag release.

Installing a different connector can reduce trigger pull weight, and many users advocate this modification. If you decide to reduce the trigger pull weight, I recommend using the factory Glock part. (Check out pistol-training.com, an aftermarket connector broke and shut down the endurance test Gen4 Glock 17)

Grip Force Adapters are worth a look if you find you have problems with slide bite, or want to alter the grip a bit. I personally feel they are a worthwhile addition, especially if you have large hands or issues with the Glock grip in general.

Grip reductions and stippling are worth looking at as well.

And remember to make your training and practice count!

warpedcamshaft
04-16-12, 23:56
Since you mentioned competition, I would like to also mention that it is important to recognize that what makes a great competition weapon may not make a great defensive weapon for some users. If you are planning on running matches as a method of practice for fighting, then using your defensive weapon may not be an issue.

What I am trying to say is: don't let competition class regulations and rules dictate your weapon selection and potential modifications when configuring a pistol as a life saving tool. Just keep it in mind...

ST911
04-16-12, 23:58
Sights. Ammunition. Training.

Most "improvements" and "upgrades", aren't.

DOA
04-17-12, 01:33

I would agree with this.

Rattlehead
04-17-12, 01:52
I am getting a G19 for carry (and possibly IDPA or GSSF). What changes are best and I do understand this question is going to have a variety of answers.

I am new to the CC game and notice that a lot of people have 2 of their carry weapons, is this just to keep the round count down on the one you carry ?

For concealed carry:

- Gen 3 (or Gen 2 if you can find one) Glock 19
- Glock "-" Connector
- Some sort of night sights, i.e. - Trijicon HD, Heinie Straight Eight.
- Vickers slide stop

For GSSF and IDPA:

The same, maybe with regular irons. I prefer to use night sights at matches this way when you go to a match your practice can port over to the same gun you carry.

Rattlehead
04-17-12, 02:00
Do I need to change out the sights? If so are there ones that are any better for carry as in easy to draw with, fast on target, can be used equally as effective day or night... That sort of thing.

You don't need to, however as a carry gun I would recommend a set of good night sights. Trijicon HD's are noted for being very fast to acquire due to the large diameter of the front dot.

Does the extended mag release really make a difference?

Depends on what size hands you have. Also depends if you break your grip when you reload.

Is it necessary to stipple a Gen 4 with their supposed textured grip?

I would recommend against getting a Gen 4, especially if you are going to stipple it. Go with a Gen 2 or Gen 3.

How much do after market mag base plates really help?

Depends what kind you get, some can aid in clearing malfunctions.

Titanium guide rods and polished barrels are a little ahead of me at this point so in my mind these were not the upgrades I was thinking of, it just didn't get typed like that. :)

Titanium guide rods, metal guide rods, are not necessary for a stock Glock. If you decide down the road to get an accurized barrel, look at Bar-Sto.

JonInWA
04-17-12, 07:55
I concur in switching out the polymer sights for steel ones. If you like the Glock sight picture, Glock makes an excellent set of steel sights that are quite inexpensive. Otherwise, there are a number of high quality, well tested aftermarket alternatives; my personal preferences are Warren and Trijicon.

All of my Glocks have the flat slide stop replaced with a Glock extended slide stop/release. I like having the option of using the slide release to get my gun from slide lock into battery, and the extended component works quite well with minimal protrusion. Others I respect have had excellent results with the Vickers component.

I do not believe that a carry/IDPA/GSSF Glock using factory ammunition needs, or significantly benefits from any of the plethoira of aftermarket recoil spring assemblys. The OEM component works just fine. Conversely, if you're desiring to definitively tune the gun to a handload of choice, I can see the benefit to a quality aftermarket recoil spring assembly (rod/spring combo) to experiment with various springs to achieve a performance "sweet spot" if you REALLY know what you're doing.

While stippling can reduce the slipperiness of the gun in sweaty hands, it can limit the competitions where the gun can be used. Using a segment of a mountain bike innertube can accomplish the same end result, and is inexpensive, and does not modify the gun.

If you're interested in modifying your triggerpull via connector and/or spring swapping, stick with Glock OEM parts. Regarding the trigger itself, you might find a smooth trigger triggerbar assembly to be a bit more comfortable.

While the Vickers magazine baseplates are interesting, and I'll probably try them at some point, the factory ones work quite well, and I've never encounered any issues with them that would mandate switching them out for the Vickers part.

I've never really had any issues with the OEM magazine releases-both the standard or the extended OEM Glock components. That said, the VIckers components do seem to achieve an ideal length and have more effective smoothing to their edges-but using them can affect the gun's usability in certain competitions/competitive divisions.

So-what do your REALLY need? In my opinion, only ammunition, and possibly a set of steel sights (or at least a steel front sight) and training/practice time. And, as others have mentioned, a decent holster/belt/spare magazine pouch combination is essential for effective and comfortable concealed carry (and for competitions like IDPA, etc.) You don't have to spend a ton of money at this point-Glock makes a very inexpensive (but quite viable) belt slide outside-the-waistband holster called the Sport/Combat and a similar magazine pouch; both retail for under $20 apiece-see:

https://store.teamglock.com/pistol-accessories.html

The Wilderness' 5-Stitch belts are excellent for both casual wear and guncarrying-see:

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=142&pg=1

Best, Jon

steevo
04-17-12, 08:00
spend the extra money on ammo and practice with it, thats where your money will be best spent

NeoNeanderthal
04-17-12, 08:09
Personally i don't think night sights accomplish as much most people think they do. The only situation where they are useful is if you are in the dark and there is a threat that is in a lit area. A weapon light is useful in this situation because it illuminates your sights, and in any other low light situation.

For a new gun (glock especially), good steel sights are a must. As is a white light. Lots of people don't like cc-ing a gun with a light on it, but i haven't found it too bulky. I carry iwb so the light inside my pants. (sounds dirty doesn't it). As soon as you throw on a light, the holster becomes even more critical. It is a little harder to find a good holster with a light attached, but its worth it. Not being able to walk into a store and get an Uncle Mikes for your set up is a good thing.

Grizzly16
04-17-12, 08:30
Must haves for me:
Steel night sights
Glock - connector
Good holster+belt
500 rds of training ammo + drills (this is assuming the pistol is new to you. If you are just replacing a G19 with a G19 not so much)
Spare g17 mag to carry (won't pinch your pinky when slamming a mag in like a g19 mag can if you have large hands)

Nice to haves
Vickers slide stop
Vickers mag release
Stippling/grip tap for gen3

chris914
04-17-12, 08:50
All of the above information has been good. Fact of the matter is what you do will depend on your preferences. My thoughts are get up with some local guys and try out what they have for sights and such. Since you are looking to carry, find out what others carry their G19 in and see if you can borrow a holster from one of them to use around the house for a weekend. If something is wrong for you, you will know it very soon. It may save you some money in the end and will allow you to make up your mind in an informed manner.

I have gone through numerous brands of sights to determine what works for me. It may not work for you though. All of my Glocks are set up as follows:

Hienie Ledge Straight 8 Night Sights or Ameri-Glo Hack Sights (RTF-2 that is a class spare)
Jentra Grip plug
Vickers/Tangodown Mag Catch
Ghost 3.5# Connector
Vickers/Tangodown Enhanced Slide Stop

I have had no issues with any of the above in the several years of service and several thousand rounds (~18-20K) that they have been in use. I shoot the G19 in IDPA and in USPSA. I use these pistols when I teach and when being taught. They are what I carry on a daily basis and one of these iwith an X300 is what resides in the safe beside the bed.

Just get yourself some ammo and just shoot it. Take a good basic handgun class and learn the fundamentals properly. Training will make all the difference in the world and will also allow you firsthand experience when making equipment decisions. I am not saying that you will become an expert but what I am saying is that you will be able to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

Hope this helps.

glocktogo
04-17-12, 08:53
Any permanent mods to the frame or exterior of the gun will put it in ESP for IDPA and whatever the fastest category of GSSF is (can't remember off the top of my head what it's called). I have a nicely tricked out G-17 for IDPA competition. Since I don't like grit tape on a CCW gun, my Glock 19 has the following mods:

Trijicon night sights
Extended slide stop (fits my hand and shooting style better)
Undercut trigger guard (because I don't care what division it puts me in)

That's it.

If you can't dominate the gun with that, you should really spend money on ammo & training.

Dave L.
04-17-12, 09:20

I also agree with the above regarding a "Carry Glock".

Night sights are not a necessity, and borderline waste of money. I would get a set of Ameriglo "Kyle Defoor" sights (http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156142&CAT=29) and save your money for a good holster (http://www.psholsters.com/) and an X300 pistol light.

P.S. Stay with Gen 3.

Blayglock
04-17-12, 09:27
Mine has:

10-8 Sights. Brass Bead Front.
Grip Force Adapter Beavertail
Grip Plug
$0.25 Trigger Job
Grip Tape.
Bevel the trigger guard to get rid of "glock knuckle"

Sight Picture:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/10-8sights.jpg

See here in a Cane & Derby Pardus:

http://i687.photobucket.com/albums/vv239/BlayGlock/d9601fde.jpg

TeamGrazzi
04-17-12, 10:12
I fully understand the ammo training thing. I already have a case of 115gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ waiting for the range. A slightly harder thing is quality training here in the communist state of IL.

I really like my Raven holster that I have for my M&P and will probably go with that for my holster.

I already have a x300 that I use on my M4 and M&P so that is covered.

Stippling wasn't a mandatory thing I was just curious about its benefits really.

okie john
04-17-12, 10:35
The G19 is ALMOST good to go right out of the box.

Like all Glocks, it needs sights, and there are a million good choices. Do a search for Glock sight threads and you'll find all you ever wanted to know about them.

Lots of folks add a 3.5# OEM connector, a smooth trigger, and a grip plug, and that's a smart list. I can run a Glock a bit faster with a grip reduction, but that puts you into the ESP category for IDPA and can keep you out of some games entirely. I'm slowly learning to live without it. They're expensive, so if you don't need one, don't get one.

Aside from the sights and the grip plug, stay with OEM parts for reliability.

Okie John

Grizzly16
04-17-12, 10:42
I fully understand the ammo training thing. I already have a case of 115gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ waiting for the range. A slightly harder thing is quality training here in the communist state of IL.

I really like my Raven holster that I have for my M&P and will probably go with that for my holster.

I already have a x300 that I use on my M4 and M&P so that is covered.

Stippling wasn't a mandatory thing I was just curious about its benefits really.

If you stipple it be aware it can cause issues where it catches on clothing and causes printing issues. My G23 rtf2 was terrible about that until I sanded down the texture a bit.

TeamGrazzi
04-17-12, 11:28
I would still avoid Gen 4. I would, and did several times, buy a late production Gen 3 over a Gen 4 knowing that I would have erratic ejection. At least a Gen 3 will consistently get the casing out of the gun. My 0.02.

I thought these extraction issues were taken care of for the most part and are now the exception not the rule???

Guinnessman
04-17-12, 11:54
The must have upgrades for a Glock would be new sights, a light, and a good holster. Take it from someone who has used "Aftermarket" connectors, that sticking with Glock OEM is the way to go.

Today I just received my shipment of spare Glock OEM connectors. The Ghost 5.0 in my Glock 19 will be getting replaced with OEM parts this week.

Kevin P
04-17-12, 15:15
I also agree with the above regarding a "Carry Glock".

Night sights are not a necessity, and borderline waste of money. I would get a set of Ameriglo "Kyle Defoor" sights (http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156142&CAT=29) and save your money for a good holster (http://www.psholsters.com/) and an X300 pistol light.

P.S. Stay with Gen 3.

Dave L. , I have always valued your knowledge and advice and was just wondering if you could elaborate some more.

Do you think that night sights are still not necessary for the typical CCW? I heard Kyles explanation, but I am just wondering if that still pertains to when you are not carrying a WML?

jstyer
04-17-12, 15:36
If you can't dominate the gun with that, you should really spend money on ammo & training.

My thoughts as well. To me, some quality night sights are the only "must haves", other than that, just go shoot the thing!

Moltke
04-17-12, 16:16
You've got the gun, now get ammo, then shoot it. Decide what mod's you want after you've put a case of ammo through it. What helps YOU to be a better shooter? What helps YOU run the gun faster, or more accurately?

packinaglock
04-17-12, 18:40

This is what works for me.

Frailer
04-17-12, 20:48
I'm a member of the very small minority of Glock owners who are crazy enough to think the stock sights are fine.

As others have said you'll need a good holster and a good belt, extra magazines, and lots of ammo. Since I have all of the above, I just slap a grip plug in them and shoot the snot out of them.

MegademiC
04-18-12, 12:38
Its cloudy quite often here, night sights can be picked up much faster in low-light situations even where the threat is easily seen. Black sights on a black shirt can be hard to see - I like contrast.

That said, you may want to mod your stock sights with some different setups (3 dot - 2 dot, line-dot, etc) to see what you are best with.

other than that, shoot it and find what really helps you or where you need something that training cant help.

d90king
04-18-12, 12:56
All of my Glock's have the following: Ameriglo GL433 sights, Vickers extended mag release, Vickers extended slide stop, Vickers baseplates ;) a plug and Dot connector.

Finished product:
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/f1570cb2.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/c5da3460.jpg

SWATcop556
04-18-12, 13:53
This topic seems to be coming up a lot lately. Searching is your friend. That being said there is some great info in this thread.

Only YOU can decide what mods are necessary. Anyone and everyone can suggest what they like and why they like it but what mods work for them may suck balls for you. Some are proven mods that work well for the vast majority of shooters out there and other mods are shooter specific.

Mods that I feel MOST shooters can and do benefit from are the following (and in this order, for me):

1. Good quality metal sights (I prefer Warrens but 10-8, AmeriGlo, and Trijicon all have viable options)

2. For a G19 or G26 (insert your compact or subcompact model here) I toss the serrated trigger and drop in a smooth faced G17 trigger with trigger bar.

3. Gen2 or Gen3 Glocks get the Vickers mag release. I have smaller hands (**** you if you're laughing right now :dance3:) and the mag release is a must for me.

4. A grip plug. I prefer those that sit flush with the frame as opposed to those that stick out.

5. I'm really liking the Vickers slide stop/release and I'm adding it to my go-to list for mods.

6. I stipple my Glocks and remove the finger grooves (again smaller hands, assholes). I liken the Glock finger grooves to the old A2 grip with the finger bump. It's just in the wrong damn spot for me. I have different textures I use for different applications. My carry guns are not near as aggressive in texture as my duty weapons.

7. On my duty weapons, where I'm not worried about concealment, I run the OEM +2 mag extensions or the Magpul Ranger plates. I like the extra purchase on the mag for reloads when running a belt system or off my PC. It also aids in stripping stuck mags. I'm wanting to try the Vickers mag plates for my concealed carry options.

Again find what works FOR YOU. Bottoms line is spend some time on the range with your new firearm and then see if you think some of the mods will improve your performance.

Also buy a QUALITY belt and holster system. Its a system because all of the components work together and will affect comfort. If you cheap on this gear you will regret it.

My current setup that I'm in 95% of the time is a Volund Gearworks Atlas belt with a RCS holster and mag carrier. I'm waiting on a PSS Holster setup from Steve and I have a feeling it will be another very viable option in the holster market. I have a custom cant on my holster because it fits MY needs. I also like the "Magpul cut" on my mag carrier since I carry it at about 10 o'clock, which keeps it from digging into my leg. Think of the holster and belt like a sling for a rifle. Buy shit gear and it will eventually hit the deck,a dn probably when it matters most.

TeamGrazzi
04-18-12, 15:32
Well I drove the 1.5 hours to my nearest Blue label Glock dealer and purchased my Gen 4 G19 (cool thing I didn't know was that I would get to leave with it). Planning on putting 200-300 rounds through it this weekend to get a feel for her!

Swat - I fully understand the need for a good belt and holster and will be ordering a RCS for it today. As for the belt I was looking at the Jones Tactical but 7 weeks seems like a long wait although had I ordered it 3 weeks ago when I was looking the time would be almost half up by now.

Man the civilian / LEO side of weapons and gear has a lot more to learn than the Military! There were no choices it was here use this, this and this no you can't use that.

SWATcop556
04-18-12, 16:52
My Atlas belt took a little over a week, FWIW. Very lo-pro and doesn't scream "I'm carrying a gun," though I leave my shirt untucked. Very comfortable and stable.

I love my Jones, Ares and USGG belts but lately the Atlas has been my go-to for everyday wear.

LMT42
04-18-12, 18:55
At least a Gen 3 will consistently get the casing out of the gun. My 0.02.

I thought these extraction issues were taken care of for the most part and are now the exception not the rule???

On another site I read that the Gen 3 uses a different recoil spring than the Gen 4. The poster accused the G4 spring of being more prone to limp-wristing. Is this correct info or BS?

DOA
04-18-12, 19:17
Mods that I feel MOST shooters can and do benefit from are the following (and in this order, for me):

3. Gen2 or Gen3 Glocks get the Vickers mag release... and the mag release is a must for me.

I like the new Gen 4 Vickers mag release as well. ;)

SWATcop556
04-18-12, 23:48
I like the new Gen 4 Vickers mag release as well. ;)

I look forward to some hands on with one but, just like the new mag plates, I've yet to see more than pictures so I can't comment definitively just yet.

Unless someone at Tango Down just loves me and wants to let me take 'em for a spin.

They are near the top of my handgun wish list though.

samuse
04-19-12, 22:10
I carry a Glock 19 every day. Compete with the same gun (or an identical one).

What I do to it:

- smooth trigger
- Ameriglo DeFoors

I carry in a Milt Sparks VMII and I occasionally compete with that holster, but I mostly use a Comp-Tac kydex on the range.

I don't carry with a light but I do sometimes bring an X300 with me in my pocket. I use it as a handheld. Yep, I've trained with that and it works well. For dedicated low/no-light, I mount the X300 and use a Comp-Tac for the 19 with an X300.

Harv
04-22-12, 12:51
I picked up a Like new G19 RTF2 that has the Ameriglo Hackthorns which I really like.

I'm replacing the serrated trigger with a G17 smooth one..
adding a Vickers Mag release...
and possibly a stippling job and I had a grip plug....

And that is pretty much it....

Odglock
04-23-12, 18:56
I did the same thing to all 39 of my glocks. Butt plug, GLOCK extended slide stop, night sights (trijicon or ameriglo). Nothing else needed.

Wake27
04-24-12, 07:38
I did the same thing to all 39 of my glocks. Butt plug, GLOCK extended slide stop, night sights (trijicon or ameriglo). Nothing else needed.

Holy balls, 39?

And where are you guys getting the 17 triggers? Brownell's has some but they come with the trigger bar, is that what you all got?

madisonsfinest
04-24-12, 09:10
The trigger comes with the trigger bar. It's one piece, technically referred to as trigger w/trigger bar :)

Spurholder
04-24-12, 09:26
Holy balls, 39?

And where are you guys getting the 17 triggers? Brownell's has some but they come with the trigger bar, is that what you all got?

Brownells will sell you the entire G17 trigger bar, which includes the smooth trigger. Swapping it out takes about 5 minutes. I watched a few YouTube videos of all things and went to work.

I'd also add getting and installing the Vickers/TD mag release, the Vickers/TD slide release, and some decent steel sights (such as Ameriglos - I love mine).

I'm one of the several hundred guys on this board that uses the RCS Phantom, and I can tell you without reservation that it's a quality holster that's well worth the wait time. I'm also a user of Wilderness Tactical belts, and recently switched from the 5-line stitch Wilderness Frequent Flyer to the polymer-lined model. My opinion: it's a worthwhile option to consider, and I love the stability with no loss on comfort.

ETA: Looks like Brownells is stocking Gen4 parts now. Here's a link to what I THINK is the correct trigger bar:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41450/avs%7CMake_3=Glock/avs%7CManufacturer_1=GLOCK/Product/Trigger-w-Trigger-Bar-Gen-4

Wake27
04-24-12, 09:44
The trigger comes with the trigger bar. It's one piece, technically referred to as trigger w/trigger bar :)

Brownells will sell you the entire G17 trigger bar, which includes the smooth trigger. Swapping it out takes about 5 minutes. I watched a few YouTube videos of all things and went to work.

I'd also add getting and installing the Vickers/TD mag release, the Vickers/TD slide release, and some decent steel sights (such as Ameriglos - I love mine).

I'm one of the several hundred guys on this board that uses the RCS Phantom, and I can tell you without reservation that it's a quality holster that's well worth the wait time. I'm also a user of Wilderness Tactical belts, and recently switched from the 5-line stitch Wilderness Frequent Flyer to the polymer-lined model. My opinion: it's a worthwhile option to consider, and I love the stability with no loss on comfort.

ETA: Looks like Brownells is stocking Gen4 parts now. Here's a link to what I THINK is the correct trigger bar:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41450/avs%7CMake_3=Glock/avs%7CManufacturer_1=GLOCK/Product/Trigger-w-Trigger-Bar-Gen-4

Thanks guys, that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. And I think I saw a Gen 4 specific one the other day, but my order from them just shipped so it'll have to wait until next time I guess.

Moltke
04-24-12, 10:00
What's important to people about the flat faced trigger?

Why does the serrated trigger exist at all?

ygbsm
04-24-12, 12:03
The serrated trigger has to do with importation restriction on non-sporting firearms and their point system.

Competition sights/triggers- more points

TeamGrazzi
04-24-12, 12:12
Well my set up will be very KISS to start with after reading through your guys responses.

I ordered my belt from Endeavor Stitch works

ordered a PSS holster and mag

going back and forth with the sights... I want to get either the plain NS GL-115 or go with the GL-433. I just don't know how I would like the dual color thing.

After I put a case through it I will adjust fire from there :happy:

Moltke
04-24-12, 13:51
After I put a case through it I will adjust fire from there :happy:

Great idea.

hitman488
04-24-12, 16:27
I work for a Police Dept. in N.E Ohio, I carry a G19 as my duty carry gun. My gun is equiped with Trijicon night sights, Extended slide release. Being a Dept. issue gun, the powers to be don't want you to make any mods to the gun itself, we are a glock police Department. I've installed a Streamlight TLR-1 tactical light, and some skateboard tape grips and grip plug to keep out all the nasty stuff that can find its way in the bottom of the grip. On all my personal owned glocks, I swap out the sights with either night sights or some type of metal sights. I also install a steel recoil rod assembly, extended slide and magazine releases. Lately I have been experimenting with stippling the grips to get that grip that I desire.:cool:

madisonsfinest
04-24-12, 16:30
If it's not a G4 or RTF model I like the Talon Grips. It's basically pre-cut skateboard tape

TeamGrazzi
04-24-12, 16:36
I wanted to get a grip plug but the ones I am finding online say they don't work if you have a back strap on. Anyone know of one that will work with the Gen 4 back straps?

Wake27
04-24-12, 17:19
I wanted to get a grip plug but the ones I am finding online say they don't work if you have a back strap on. Anyone know of one that will work with the Gen 4 back straps?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22520/avs%7CManufacturer_1=PEARCE%20GRIP/Product/GRIP-FRAME-INSERT-FOR-GLOCK-reg-

Mine just shipped today.

TeamGrazzi
04-25-12, 00:00
Thanks Wake, looked on their site must have completely missed that one.

Wake27
04-25-12, 13:19
Thanks Wake, looked on their site must have completely missed that one.

No worries brother.

OT - my DS this summer had the same combat patch. He said it was a civil affairs unit I think?