PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you that hunt hogs

Doc Safari
04-17-12, 11:04
I found out recently that the feral hog problem is like one county away from us right now, so it's only a matter of time before I'm poking holes in pork with the M4.

I see on some of the hog hunting TV shows on Sportsman's Channel and whatnot that some of the hunters give their carcasses to homeless shelters and what have you.

How does one go about arranging a donation like that?

Would you reasonably be able to expect the homeless shelter to pick up the carcass, or am I going to have to expect to deliver it?

I suppose laws are different from place to place. Hunting hogs requires no permit around here, but should I expect to have to have a permit to transport and/or donate the pig to a homeless shelter or something?

I'm perfectly willing for the carcasses to become buzzard chow, but if I can get some pork chops to people down on their luck instead, hey, why not?

Thoughts?

ST911
04-17-12, 11:18
There are programs that facilitate wild game donations to needy populations. Contact your local shelter and/or sportsman clubs to see what exists in your area. In most arrangements I've seen, the program will have an agreement with a game processor that will butcher your field dressed game. Alternatively, you can donate your home or commercially processed game.

I know that there are some food/shelter programs that require that your game be commercially processed in order to accept it as a donation, due to their own SOPs or local health codes.

This is win-win for everyone. Hunters can hunt more without waste, and the meat gets to folks who need it.

Contact your local wildlife LE to see what's needed from a regulatory standpoint.

Shokr21
04-17-12, 11:39
Not exactly hogs, but here in Iowa with deer. There have been times where I had more tags than freezer space. When that happens there's a couple lockers that have programs set up with shelters. All you have to do is drop off your field dressed animal and walk away with a good feeling.

It should be as simple as contacting a locker or 3.