PDA

View Full Version : I picked up another G19!

M4arc
01-05-08, 14:23
I picked this one up from a GT member right before Christmas as a little present to myself. :cool:

I broke it down to clean and inspect it and it's literally like new! The only thing I found strange was the locking block pin looked like it had been through hell and back. I'm guessing the original pin was lost and a used replacement was installed because the rest of this gun is immaculate. I threw the pin away and installed a brand new one.

I also installed a Vickers Tactical/Tango Down extended magazine catch, a #3.5 connector, marine FP cups and an extended slide release. Normally I wouldn't do such things but my goal is to build a replica of the G19 Pro. I'm going to order a set of Trijicon NS (get ready GotM4) and a threaded Lone Wolf barrel next!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/newG19.jpg

Jay Cunningham
01-05-08, 14:28
With the rising popularity of the M&P it's likey we'll see some deals on these as people decide to move them...

The G19 is a great firearm!

markm
01-05-08, 14:30
It's cute! When it grows up it might be a G17! :p

M4arc
01-05-08, 14:32
It's cute! When it grows up it might be a G17! :p

I have two G17s too!

Originally I set out to build a G17 Pro but since I wanted to strip this one day to clean and inspect it I just went ahead and installed the parts while I was in there.

Buck
01-05-08, 14:37
Lone wolf makes a nice barrel... I called them and special ordered a 9mm barrel for my duty Glock 35... They make one that is 9mm but with the 40 cal profile that will fit the 35...

I had them blind mark the barrel on the bottom, and then put the factory style 9mm caliber markings and my pistols serial number in the correct places on the hood... They then gave it a factory style finish... It looks like an additional factory barrel that is serial numbered to my pistol...

Now I can shoot 40 cal or 9mm out of my G35 and I am very happy with their work...

Just my .02

Buck

markm
01-05-08, 14:42
A g17 is on my "to buy" list. I found one a while back. Used in a gun store.

It looked like the first G17 to hit the continental US.... weird markings and stuff on it. It was beat to shit, and the guy who consigned it wanted like $350.... too much for a very beaten G17.

Robb Jensen
01-05-08, 15:35
I picked this one up from a GT member right before Christmas as a little present to myself. :cool:

I broke it down to clean and inspect it and it's literally like new! The only thing I found strange was the locking block pin looked like it had been through hell and back. I'm guessing the original pin was lost and a used replacement was installed because the rest of this gun is immaculate. I threw the pin away and installed a brand new one.

I also installed a Vickers Tactical/Tango Down extended magazine catch, a #3.5 connector, marine FP cups and an extended slide release. Normally I wouldn't do such things but my goal is to build a replica of the G19 Pro. I'm going to order a set of Trijicon NS (get ready GotM4) and a threaded Lone Wolf barrel next!

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/oclvtrek/newG19.jpg

You have the Glocken disease bro. :D

Here's an avatar for you. A guy on the Enos forum has it.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/uploads/av-1504.jpg

VA_Dinger
01-05-08, 16:46
I've already planned on picking up another G19 before Spring. I'd like to find a "Like new" or very good condition GenII (No rail or finger groves) for a CCW.

M4arc
01-05-08, 16:51
I've already planned on picking up another G19 before Spring. I'd like to find a "Like new" or very good condition GenII (No rail or finger groves) for a CCW.

Ditto. This one was going to be my new CCW but now that it's going to be my PRO replica I think I'll need to find a nice 2nd Gen as well :D

BigTinVA
01-05-08, 17:05
You better check out the slide lock spring so that G19 doesn't fail on you.

M4arc
01-05-08, 17:14
You better check out the slide lock spring so that G19 doesn't fail on you.

I checked and it's the new updated Slide Lock Spring. This particular G19 was made in January 2007 so it's way past the Slide Lock Spring upgrade which was back in 2004.

Paulinski
01-05-08, 17:29
Its nice to hear people still enjoy Glocks ;) I just picked up G23 to compliment my G19.

I usually outfit them with Vickers Magazine Release, NY Olive Spring, 3.5# connector and Trijicon Night Sights. I'd like to try the 10-8 Glock sights when they are released (night front sight)

M4arc
01-05-08, 17:33
Its nice to hear people still enjoy Glocks ;) I just picked up G23 to compliment my G19.

I usually outfit them with Vickers Magazine Release, NY Olive Spring, 3.5# connector and Trijicon Night Sights. I'd like to try the 10-8 Glock sights when they are released (night front sight)

I tried the NY Olive Spring & #3.5 connector combo and I didn't like it. But I am sold on the Vickers Mag release and I've already ordered the Trijicons for this G19 :)

Buck
01-05-08, 17:43
Vickers Mag release and I've already ordered the Trijicons

Just curious...

Do you like them a lot more than the factory extended magazine release and the Heinie striate 8 slant pro night sights???

M4arc
01-05-08, 17:48
Just curious...

Do you like them a lot more than the factory extended magazine release and the Heinie striate 8 slant pro night sights???

I can't compare the Trijicons with the Heinie's because I've never used them. But I do like Trijicons over factory Glock sights (obviously) and Mepros.

I was never a fan of the factory extended mag releases. IMO they were too long and the corners/edges were too sharp. The Vickers is in between the factory length and the extended ones and just about right. Plus the corners/edges are rounded off nicely.

Buck
01-05-08, 17:56
I will give the Vickers magazine release a try...

You may want to give these a look... IMHO they are the best Glock sights out there...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24365&title=SEMI-AUTO%20STRAIGHT%20EIGHT%20SLANTPRO?%20SIGHT

Buck

TOrrock
01-05-08, 18:38
You're angering the S&W gods.........:o

Impact
01-05-08, 18:39
nice.. I like G19's..perfect size for me.

M4arc
01-05-08, 18:42

Oh I still like my M&P but I can't let go of PERFECTION :D

David Thomas
01-05-08, 19:07

Glad to see you have not been entirely coverted. Glad to see the new signature line. :D

Nice find.

Robb Jensen
01-05-08, 19:16
I will give the Vickers magazine release a try...

You may want to give these a look... IMHO they are the best Glock sights out there...

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24365&title=SEMI-AUTO%20STRAIGHT%20EIGHT%20SLANTPRO?%20SIGHT

Buck

If you like those Buck you should try the Sevigny cut Warren Tactical 2 dot sights. I like the Warren cut Warren sights myself w/plain black rear and night sight front.

DrMark
01-05-08, 20:15
Oh I still like my M&P but I can't let go of PERFECTION :D

If it's PERFECTION, why do you need to change out all of these parts?

:p

Jay Cunningham
01-05-08, 20:17
WE didn't say it was perfection - Gaston did.

;)

Robb Jensen
01-05-08, 20:23
WE didn't say it was perfection - Gaston did.

;)

And he was wrong.
BUT the Glock is DAMN GOOD! :D

M4arc
01-05-08, 20:31
And he was wrong.
BUT the Glock is DAMN GOOD! :D

Wait...I thought it was a flawed design? :p

Robb Jensen
01-05-08, 20:32
Wait...I thought it was a flawed design? :p

Depends on who you ask! ;)

DrMark
01-05-08, 20:47
Bringing it tomorrow, M4arc?

M4arc
01-05-08, 20:50
Bringing it tomorrow, M4arc?

You know it! I'm bring my M&P9 with CT and G19 and va_dinger is bring the same combo. Bring your G17 along for the ride as well and we'll have some back to back comparisons to post about tomorrow afternoon. :D

mark5pt56
01-06-08, 08:11
So, how did it go?

M4arc
01-06-08, 08:52
So, how did it go?

Hey, we missed you this morning.

It went very well. The G19 with the #3.5 connector is fantastic! DrMark busted out the trigger meter and it measures out at 5 1/2 pounds and is much more suited to me. The difference between a standard connector and the #3.5 is very noticeable.

I ended up getting 100 rounds through it and I love it! I think I need one more G19 to CCW ;)

mark5pt56
01-06-08, 09:30
Hey, we missed you this morning.

It went very well. The G19 with the #3.5 connector is fantastic! DrMark busted out the trigger meter and it measures out at 5 1/2 pounds and is much more suited to me. The difference between a standard connector and the #3.5 is very noticeable.

I ended up getting 100 rounds through it and I love it! I think I need one more G19 to CCW ;)

Sounds great! That's a nice piece. I had/have to work all day, so I had to skip.

DrMark
01-06-08, 14:47
The G19 with the #3.5 connector is fantastic! DrMark busted out the trigger meter and it measures out at 5 1/2 pounds and is much more suited to me. The difference between a standard connector and the #3.5 is very noticeable.
It certainly is.

My G17 with the standard 5 lb connector measures at about 8 lb.

Hmmm... maybe my G17 perfection can be improved upon!

jmart
01-06-08, 20:24
It certainly is.

My G17 with the standard 5 lb connector measures at about 8 lb.

Are you running stock trigger and striker springs?

DrMark
01-06-08, 21:09
Are you running stock trigger and striker springs?

Yes.

Everything but the sights is out-of-the-box stock.

LOKNLOD
01-06-08, 22:05
At the risk of a hijack, where are ya'll getting factory 3.5# connectors these days?

recon
01-06-08, 23:07
Marine FP Cups? Love my G19. My CCW! Glock the AK of pistols! Go here for sites that carry the 3.5 connector. Lone wolf is very good.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=215

koalorka
01-06-08, 23:21
That's an awesome little handgun you got there. Next on my list, I just picked up a G17.

M4arc
01-07-08, 05:40
At the risk of a hijack, where are ya'll getting factory 3.5# connectors these days?

www.topgunsupply.com (http://www.topgunsupply.com) has them for $15. I'll add the link to the Glock resource thread. You can also get them from smittywee on ebay.

Marine FP Cups? Love my G19. My CCW! Glock the AK of pistols! Go here for sites that carry the 3.5 connector. Lone wolf is very good.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=215

The Marine Firing Pin cups are cut out to allow water to drain past them.

Hawgleg44
01-07-08, 22:07
A g17 is on my "to buy" list. I found one a while back. Used in a gun store.

It looked like the first G17 to hit the continental US.... weird markings and stuff on it. It was beat to shit, and the guy who consigned it wanted like $350.... too much for a very beaten G17.

Here's a pic of a very early Gen 1 G17 I grabbed a few years ago like that. IMO, Glock had the grip texturing right and screwed it up when they went to the Gen 2's. But I have to admit that I like the finger grooves of the Gen 3's, too. I have one of each of the G17's.

http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/G17_Gen_1.jpg

Right before Christmas, I grabbed myself a Gen 3 G19 from Mark at Summit Gun Broker marked "Virginia Beach Sheriff's Department" with a badge on the slide. Living in MA, there's not too many Gen 3's that were made early enough to be "compliant", but he got a batch in. It goes well with my Gen 2 G19.

I used to be really into Glocks, sold or traded them off, got a few more again, traded them all, and now I started buying them again. I've acquired 10 of them in the past few years in 9mm, .40, 10mm and .45acp in Gen 1, 2, 2.5 and 3.

A shop I help out a lot gave me a Gen 2 G23 for Christmas, too. I thought that was nice of them! Now all I need is a G26 and I'll have all the Glocks I really want now. Not that I like them as much as my S&W autos, but they are fun to shoot, too!

blackscot
01-09-08, 06:41
With the rising popularity of the M&P it's likey we'll see some deals on these as people decide to move them...

The G19 is a great firearm!

I did the test. A lot of things looked good in theory, but after some actual field application I'm keeping the G19.......

.....I like G19's..perfect size for me.

.....for this reason.....

......Love my G19. My CCW! Glock the AK of pistols!......

......and for this.

I too am falling from favor.:rolleyes:

Robb Jensen
01-09-08, 07:20
Here's a pic of I a very early Gen 1 G17 I grabbed a few years ago like that. IMO, Glock had the grip texturing right and screwed it up when they went to the Gen 2's. But I have to admit that I like the finger grooves of the Gen 3's, too. I have one of each of the G17's.

http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/G17_Gen_1.jpg

If you ever want to sell that let me know. I sold my Gen 1 back in 1990 and regret it. Back then Glock parts weren't easily available as today. I had a local PD help me get some parts.

Hawgleg44
01-09-08, 09:23
If you ever want to sell that let me know. I sold my Gen 1 back in 1990 and regret it. Back then Glock parts weren't easily available as today. I had a local PD help me get some parts.

I work with a few gunshops and I come across the Gen 1 G17's occasionally for a good price. I'll let you know when another one gets traded in by a PD.

I've only come across one Gen 1 G19, though. That one went for almost $1000!

blackscot
01-09-08, 11:26
Glocks becoming "collectable"........now I've seen it all.:rolleyes:

Hawgleg44
01-09-08, 20:41

I agree. Glocks are ugly and have no class whatsoever, but they do work and work well. That's why I shoot them.

Would I pay $1000 for a 1st Gen G19 that they made less than 1000 of? No, no way, but some people do.

I buy my guns to shoot, not look at.

M4arc
01-09-08, 20:49

Actually some of them are collectible because they are extremely rare. For instance a 1st Generation G19 is EXTREMELY hard to find. I've only seen a picture of one and someone who would know once told me that only 5 made it into the US.

I also know of at least one G22S (manual safety) that made it into this country and I'm pretty sure that would command a lot of money. Like wise for the elusive G25/G28 to which there are only a few in this country. I believe I read that there are less G25/G28 in the country than there are G18s!

And then there are the 9x21 G19s to which there are only three in existence! Glock made three G19s that were chambered in the 9x21 cartridge for three NIS agents stationed in Italy. Rumor is the agents kept them and they might have the rarest of the rare!

So while your standard, run of the mill Glocks aren't collectible there are a few models that would demand thousands of dollars IF their owners ever decided to part with them.

USMC03
01-09-08, 22:14
I tried the NY Olive Spring & #3.5 connector combo and I didn't like it. But I am sold on the Vickers Mag release and I've already ordered the Trijicons for this G19 :)

Marc,

I've been carrying the G19 concealed daily at work for 11+ hours a day for the last 7 years. If I could only have one pistol it would be the G19.

I've been using Heinie sights on my Glocks since the late 90's. I have 6 Glocks and the ONLY Glock I own that doesn't have Heinie sights on it is my G26.

Long story short, a couple years I went from a G34 to a G17 as my dedicated SWAT pistol because. The reason for the switch (from the G34 to the G17 is because) Safairland didn't make a 6004 holster for the G34 + Surefire x200 light, but they made a 6004 for the G17 + x200 light, so I ended up buying the G17.

When I purchased the G17, I got it from a LEO dealer and for and additional $70 I could have Trijicon sights installed. I figured getting the Trijicon sights would be less of a head ache and save me a few dollars (instead of getting Heinie sights).

During department qualifications I noticed that my score with the G17 w/ Trijicon's was consistantly lower than my score with my G19 w/ Heinie Slant Pro's.

I realized how much better the Heinie sights were during a LEO only 3 gun competition last July, when I used my G17 (with trijicon sights) for the match. During the match they had a lot of small steel targets set up at 15 to 25 yards during different stages. I had a hell of a time hitting the small steel targets with the G17 w/ Trijicon sights. These same targets wouldn't have been a problem with a G34 or G19 with Heinie Slant Pro or Henie Straight 8 sights.

I engaged these same small steel targets at the same distances on a weekly basis with a G19 and G34 w/ Heinie Slant Pro's or Heinie Straight 8's at weekly steel challenge pistol matches (held at my local range).

The Trijicon sights really hurt my score during the LEO only 3 gun match. After the match I ordered a set of Heinie Slant Pro sight for my G17 and had them installed on that pistol. I used this pistol in Larry Vickers class in Sept, for other matches and competition, and it's still in use as my dedicated SWAT pistol.

After much trial and error, I have found that I am quicker at closer distances with the Heinie Slant Pro / Straight 8's and I am more accurate longer distance targets with the Heinie Slant Pro / Straight 8's than I am with Mepro's, Trijicon's, Novak's, Aro-Tek's, XS, and several other sights I have tried over the years.

Here is a link to some pics of the LEO only 3 gun match:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=535&page=3

If you go with Heinie sights get either the Slant Pro or the Straight 8's......Don't go with the older stlye Heinie sights, the Slant Pro / Straight 8 are heads and shoulders above the older style Heinie sights.

Take care and stay safe

Semper Fi,
Jeff

USMC03
01-09-08, 22:29
Just curious...

Do you like them a lot more than the factory extended magazine release (Vickers Glock magazine release)

Buck,

I have been modifying the extended Glock mag release since I got my first G35 in 98 or 99. Had a local gunsmith cut the extended mag release half way between the length of the standard length (G17 / G19) and extended length (G34 / G35) on my first G35 and every G34 or G35 that I've purchaed since that time. Now ALL of my Glock's get a Vickers Tactical / Tango Down extended magazine release.

Read my comments here:

Pages 1 - 3:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1645&highlight=Glock

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=8708

Take care and stay safe,

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Robb Jensen
01-09-08, 22:35
The Heinies are nice. I find the next best is a 'race-cut' Heinie rear followed by a Sevigny cut Warren or a Warren rear. Warren front sights are also thinner usually between .110"-.115" vs Trijicon .125". On my competition M&P9 I use a Warren rear and a .100" wide fiber Speed Shooters Specialties front sight, this combo is EXTREMELY fast.

graffex
01-13-08, 20:23
Jeff,

What kind of trigger set-up do you run on your Glocks?

USMC03
01-13-08, 20:47
Jeff,

What kind of trigger set-up do you run on your Glocks?

Factory trigger (5.5 lbs) 5 out of my 6 Glocks. I have one G34 that has the factory 3.5 lbs trigger in it, my other G34 is a LEO only gun and came with the 5.5 lbs trigger.

-Jeff

USMC03
01-13-08, 21:01
The Heinies are nice. I find the next best is a 'race-cut' Heinie rear followed by a Sevigny cut Warren or a Warren rear. Warren front sights are also thinner usually between .110"-.115" vs Trijicon .125". On my competition M&P9 I use a Warren rear and a .100" wide fiber Speed Shooters Specialties front sight, this combo is EXTREMELY fast.

Looking for a sight set up for the M&P 9's that I've got in bound. Looks like Heinie is out of the equasion, as Brownells doesn't carry them. Was thinking about going with a 10-8 rear and have no idea what front to go with. Any recommendations for duty sights for the M&P (I'd like a tritium front if possible).

S/F,
Jeff

Hawkeye
01-13-08, 21:37
Jeff I am running 10-8 rears on mine and REALLY like them. I do need to pick up a tritium front for one though so I am interested in that as well...

Robb Jensen
01-14-08, 08:51
Looking for a sight set up for the M&P 9's that I've got in bound. Looks like Heinie is out of the equasion, as Brownells doesn't carry them. Was thinking about going with a 10-8 rear and have no idea what front to go with. Any recommendations for duty sights for the M&P (I'd like a tritium front if possible).

S/F,
Jeff

You could run a stock M&P9 night sight and a plain black Warren rear sight. Scott Warren sells the rear by itself and you can buy the front night sight by itself too. Warren rear sights are $40 from M-P Store (http://www.mp-store.com/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=5de9f64c2993845e00390d00f9adf7d0) and the OEM/stock front night sight is $40 something from Brownells.

Robb