PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Glock

ewenit
04-17-12, 18:09
I'm the happy new owner of a Gen3 G19 in FDE. I've only had the opportunity to shoot 100 rounds through it. But every single round has been flawless, with the exception of one FTF (my fault, I was holding it like a sissy boy :cray: ).

The only real downside was it kept lobbing casings into my eyes (my local Glocksmith took a file to the ejector and said it should help, but I haven't tested it yet)

I'll be doing a more thorough range report in the future if anyone is interested (I have an underway for a few weeks first).

I know I'm not reporting any new or exciting information (and I apologize for that as well as my poor photography), but I just wanted to show off my new carry piece.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9041/glockx.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/glockx.jpg/)

Regards,
ewenit

BMWguy206
04-17-12, 21:37
Congrats on your first Glock! My first Glock is a G35, however; if I had to do it all over again I would've got a Glock 17 or Glock 19.

OldGreg
04-17-12, 22:02
.But every single round has been flawless, ....

The only real downside was it kept lobbing casings into my eyes (my local Glocksmith took a file to the ejector and said it should help, but I haven't tested it yet)

I wouldn't call that flawless then, lol. Please let us know if the filing helped your gun though... we all will be interested.

JSTICFRALL
04-18-12, 05:39
If your gunsmith didn't file down the number stamp on your ejector, check and see if it reads "336". If it does, then that's your problem. There's a newer updated ejector from Glock that was put out to solve this issue and any certified Glock armorer can get one for you.

C4IGrant
04-18-12, 08:46
I'm the happy new owner of a Gen3 G19 in FDE. I've only had the opportunity to shoot 100 rounds through it. But every single round has been flawless, with the exception of one FTF (my fault, I was holding it like a sissy boy :cray: ).

I'll be doing a more thorough range report in the future if anyone is interested (I have an underway for a few weeks first).

I know I'm not reporting any new or exciting information (and I apologize for that as well as my poor photography), but I just wanted to show off my new carry piece.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9041/glockx.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/glockx.jpg/)

Regards,
ewenit

Welcome to the "My Glock doesn't run club."

Angling the ejector does help (some), but the root of the problem is the extractor and there really is no way to fix it (currently). Apex Tactical has a new extractor coming out that should offer better extraction and fix the brass to the face problem.

C4

C4IGrant
04-18-12, 08:48
If your gunsmith didn't file down the number stamp on your ejector, check and see if it reads "336". If it does, then that's your problem. There's a newer updated ejector from Glock that was put out to solve this issue and any certified Glock armorer can get one for you.

He has the newest Glock (as it is an FDE) and NO, the "latest" parts are not solving all the issues (as witnessed by the OP's post).

C4

vigilant2
04-18-12, 08:51
Welcome to the "My Glock doesn't run club."

C4

Thanks Grant, I almost spewed coffee all over my keyboard:haha:

C4IGrant
04-18-12, 08:53
Thanks Grant, I almost spewed coffee all over my keyboard:haha:

Glad I could help. ;)

What is really funny to me, is that I watch students get whacked in the face with their brass and then ask them how their Glock is running and they tell me; "Runs great! No issues!" :alcoholic:

C4

Moltke
04-18-12, 08:58
I guess if that part of it doesn't matter to them, then it's not an issue, but they probably just don't know that it shouldn't be like that...

Cosmo M3
04-18-12, 08:58

He has the newest Glock (as it is an FDE) and NO, the "latest" parts are not solving all the issues (as witnessed by the OP's post).

C4

this

are people still in the dark about the Glock issues?

C4IGrant
04-18-12, 09:01
this

Yes.

C4

Moltke
04-18-12, 09:06
this

Many. I recently argued with a guy about the recoil spring assembly recall program for the generation 4's with him telling me that it was BS and the problems were just limp wristed poor shooters.

Cosmo M3
04-18-12, 09:56
Yes.

C4

Many. I recently argued with a guy about the recoil spring assembly recall program for the generation 4's with him telling me that it was BS and the problems were just limp wristed poor shooters.

even with the age of the interwebz, people are out of touch

patiently waiting for Randy's fix

mtdawg169
04-18-12, 10:51
this

Yes. I was at the local gun store yesterday, not only did their most senior guy praise ALL Glocks as being 100% reliable, he wasn't even aware of the gen4 rsa recall.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

brickboy240
04-18-12, 11:01
The gun store I bought my 3rd gen G19 from last weekend knew almost nothing about this problem. Their words were, "well..the early 4th gen G19s had problems but these 3rd gen guns are GTG." I'd say there are plenty of gun store people that know next to nothing about this problem. Is Glock even recognizing it yet? THEY ought to be the ones replacing our extractors if they don't fly....don't we get a warranty with these things?

Mine has the 336 ejector and was made on 4-4-12. I am hoping that is runs Saturday and does not fling brass at my face...but I don't hold out much hope.

So we have to wait until summer for an aftermarket fix for this pistol? How sad is that? Would a switch to a machined extractor from Lone Wolf or maybe an earlier 3rd gen Glock work as well?

I reallly...really hope I did not just buy a turd! LOL

-brickboy240

Shokr21
04-18-12, 11:17
I bought a gen 4 in late Feb, it had a spent casing dated sept 14. It sputtered through the first 600 rounds or so. I changed the ejector to a 30274 and in the 800 rounds or so since, everything has been hunky dory.

It amazes me that there are certain fixes that work for some, but don't for others. Obviously a qc/qa issue somewhere in Austria/Smyrna.

I'm hesitant to buy another glock, but I'm confident that my lgs will stand by the product and fix it, if glock won't that is.

JHC
04-18-12, 11:24
The Gen 3's still come with the 336 as you saw. Your gunsmith may be pretty dialed in to file the ejector as this is how the Rogers Schooting School got thier Gen 4 G17s running well when everyone else was mostly chasing RSAs. It'll be very interesting to see if that helps.

I watched a new shooter fire their first shots with a Gen 4 G19. Failure to feed 2 out 3 rounds of each magazine. I noticed in recoil the muzzle was climbing clear up to 11:00 like that famous early Gen 4 video about poor extraction. I asked them how hard they were gripping it and they said, "lightly like my .22 pistol". I gave them a firm handshake and said, grip it at least that hard. "Oh".

Then they ran the next 150 rounds trouble free and just tore up some targets. Big time happy camper. So there ARE extractor issues for some guns and there ARE ejector issues for some guns but there ARE limp wristing issues for some guns too.

packinaglock
04-18-12, 11:31

C4

I also have the new gen 4 G19 it's about a month & a half old with all the new parts and it still will spit rounds in my face here and there. It has never malfunctioned in over 400 rounds. I took it shooting with my Dad and I stood behind him as he shot. UMC & Champion were spitting brass all over the place. When we shot the Lawman & RWS 124g you could have set a coffee can on the ground at about 4:00 and caught most all the brass. It was amazing just to watch the difference.

JHC
04-18-12, 11:40
I also have the new gen 4 G19 it's about a month & a half old with all the new parts and it still will spit rounds in my face here and there. It has never malfunctioned in over 400 rounds. I took it shooting with my Dad and I stood behind him as he shot. UMC & Champion were spitting brass all over the place. When we shot the Lawman & RWS 124g you could have set a coffee can on the ground at about 4:00 and caught most all the brass. It was amazing just to watch the difference.

There are a lot of variables and like it or not, ammo is one of them. WWB last year was the craziest in my experience but this year I fired 200 rds of it and it was very different. Felt NATO hot, grouped great at 25 yds and had beautiful consistent ejection arcs, so pretty it was hard not to watch instead of follow through. ;) I'd like more of that lot.

When I had a M&P Pro 9 a couple years ago some WWB cases would land balanced on the slide behind the ejection port. But it ran everything just like our G's.

OldGreg
04-18-12, 11:52
My 19RTF2 likes cheap Federal Champion just fine (it runs great!), but doesn't like Sellier & Bellot 115gr at all. Every round hit my forehead or eyeppr.

~G

JSantoro
04-18-12, 13:08
Where "I got this...!" picture posts go: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=495&highlight=connectors

An existing, very recent thread about FDE Glocks: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102742&highlight=connectors

....plus several existing, active threads about recent-manufacture Gen3s and Gen4s and the current Battle of Component Swaps that surround them.

Please conduct a Search before posting new threads.