PDA

View Full Version : Decision to make

matemike
04-17-12, 22:59
Okay, this NOT a BCM vs DD thread.
I have done lots of searching and learning on this site, I know either will be a great gun. So please don't rag on me too hard, I'm just asking to hear the people's opinion of my situation. I'm easily convinced, so let me hear those opinions. Thanks.

History facts: I made a DD SBR in 7.5" barrel length a little over a year ago. But now I want an 11.5" gun. Question is to rebuild my SBR, or add another gun/upper to my collection by starting new?

Should I / would you:

Swap out the barrel on current SBR to an 11.5 as well as adding a 10" lite rail? Cost will be about $700 for barrel, rail, gas block, and tube. This still leaves me with only one configuration, and some left over parts that I'd maybe try to sell. But it's the most financially logical decision.

Or

Purchase a complete 11.5" BCM upper with 10" rail? Cost is about $900. This leaves me with two configurations to choose from and play around with. But it's more costly, and knowing myself having two complete uppers, I'd eventually acquire a new BCM lower anyways, SBR it, and have a full BCM 11.5 SBR, in addition to my DD 7.5". So, it would end up being a lot more costly.

I like the idea of having two SBR's, two is one and one is none, right. Plus, I certainly can afford it. But I just see the 7.5 getting neglected and me using the 11.5 a whole lot more.

What would YOU do?

MistWolf
04-18-12, 05:53
Buy the BCM 11.5", shoot both, keep the one I like best and sell the other

fallenromeo
04-18-12, 12:48
Buy the new one and see which you like better then sell whichever one you don't like.

Iraqgunz
04-18-12, 14:43
A 7.5" is a waste of time and money. Yours may well function, but you are losing alot when it comes to terminal ballistics and the amount of unfired powder that a 7.5" generates.

Sell the pistol upper to someone who can't own an SBR and then get a proper upper 10.5" or 11.5".

Watrdawg
04-18-12, 15:21
Same thoughts here. Sell the 7.5" and use the funds for a 11.5" In the long run I think the reliability issues with the 7.5" AR's take it out of consideration.

308sako
04-18-12, 22:04
Build the 11.5, shoot it till you know what you want, then change the NFA listing for your current lower and save the tax stamp.

bsmith_shoot
04-18-12, 23:52
I think the switch to 11.5 is an easy one my friend. I cant imagine you ever looking back and being disapointed. Ive had quite a few AR's, and now, the only one I got is an 11.5. I have no regrets. I would build get the BCM upper, then make some cash of the 7.5.
Good luck,
Brandon