PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 Mag Extension - TF or Arredondo or S&W 14 rnd?

OldState
04-18-12, 09:35
I want a few extended mags for a new M&P 45 that is on its way. My research has me confused as to what to get.

Some report issues with the M&P 45 14 round mags and that they have to down load them to 13.

The Taylor Freelance and Arredondo extensions add 3 rounds for the same capacity then.

Do they really, or do you have to down load them as well??

Two guys at a recent class were using Arredondo extensions on both an M&P 40 and 9 and both complained that they can slide off when slammed into the gun. I have also read other accounts of this.

It seems if the factory 14 rounders need to be down loaded I'm better off going with the less bulky(even w/10-8 base plate) extension. But then which one?

Looking for some advice. Thanks.

supersix4
04-18-12, 11:09
I have 2 14 rounders with 10-8 base plates and I load them to 14. I do use a UPLULA though.

Mauser KAR98K
04-20-12, 00:51
Are the aftermarket springs way better than any of the stock springs of the M&P .45 mags? I'm finding my self doing a tear down on the ten round mags to straighten the spring. The bent spring causes the magazine to stop pushing the last two to three rounds up.

Great pistol, crappy mags.

CHIEF GR
04-20-12, 03:20
I want a few extended mags for a new M&P 45 that is on its way. My research has me confused as to what to get.

Some report issues with the M&P 45 14 round mags and that they have to down load them to 13.

The Taylor Freelance and Arredondo extensions add 3 rounds for the same capacity then.

Do they really, or do you have to down load them as well??

Two guys at a recent class were using Arredondo extensions on both an M&P 40 and 9 and both complained that they can slide off when slammed into the gun. I have also read other accounts of this.

It seems if the factory 14 rounders need to be down loaded I'm better off going with the less bulky(even w/10-8 base plate) extension. But then which one?

Looking for some advice. Thanks.

I have 2 arredondo extension kits on my 40FS with no problems. It provides a capacity of 19 but i personally use 18 rounds since it is possible for the magazine not to fully seed if you dont slap it hard with 19 rounds.

While trying to perform a 45 bump, to release the slide with a magazine insert the base pad moved slightly but nothing a little locktite cant fix.

In general the kit is very good.

Chief

PS
I have run them on several IPSC matches with no problem either.

Mauser KAR98K
04-20-12, 10:23
Can the regular 10-8 base plates fit a 10round M&P .45 mag?

Dos Cylindros
04-20-12, 10:31
I have the 14 round S&W mags for my full size M&P 45. I have four mags, and they are wearing the 10-8 baseplates. I download mine to 13, not because it won't take 14 but because there have been a few documented issues with the mag springs bending. This issue seems to have been resolved, I just have not picked up the newest spring from Smith. My springs work great and have not as of yet bent or had any issues.

Just so you know, the Arredondo baseplates require you to modify the magazine to get them to work on the 45. Do a search, as there is some threads on it (can't remember if they are on this forum though). My vote would be for you to just get some new 14 round factory mags and kit them out with 10-8 baseplates. It's more expensive, but if you have issues S&W has you covered.

And to the other person who asked, no the regular 10-8 baseplates won't fit the M&P 45. There are three versions of the 10-8 baseplate, the .9/40, the standard .45 and the high capacity .45.

Mauser KAR98K
04-20-12, 10:37
And to the other person who asked, no the regular 10-8 baseplates won't fit the M&P 45. There are three versions of the 10-8 baseplate, the .9/40, the standard .45 and the high capacity .45.

Okay this has me confused. can you elaborate?

OldState
04-20-12, 11:56
Okay this has me confused. can you elaborate?

10-8 makes separate base pads for the 10 and 14 rounders

Thanks for the feed back so far.

Dos Cylindros
04-20-12, 17:41
10-8 makes separate base pads for the 10 and 14 rounders

Thanks for the feed back so far.

Yup. Three differnt baseplates in the 10-8 line. Baseplates for the 9/40 M&P mags which can fit on either mag (9mm or 40 S&W). Then there are baseplates for the standard (10 round) capacity M&P 45 mags, and baseplates for the high capacity (14 round) M&P 45 mags. Here is my 45 with the high cap mags and 10-8 baseplates.

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSC_0841.jpg

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac335/4N20/DSC_0843.jpg