PDA

View Full Version : Safariland 6360 Holster Issues

karmapolice
04-18-12, 11:57
So my department issues a non-light bearing 6360 holster which is good holster but I now have the option of running an x300 so I ordered a 6360 light bearing holster great right. Well I get the new holster in and run into an issue if the gun has even a micron of tension being placed on it upwards (out of the holster) the als locking system just completely locks up and will not release the pistol. I never had that issue with my non light-bearing holster, so I did some experimenting.

Today I took the als lock system out of each holster and low and behold they are different even in part numbers. The non light bearing (6360-219) has an als that has the part number of gl-01 (glock?!?!) and the light 6360-2192 has an als lock system with part number sw-01. So I switched them, with the gl-01 in the 6360-2192 the gun comes out smooth and fantastic and still locks up good, with the sw-01 in the 6360-219 (non-light) I have the same issue where the pistol just locks up in there.
Well the sw-01 has a bump up by the tension screw which is the first thing I noticed so I thought well maybe thats it so I filed it down, no go same problem. Upon closer inspection the area that actually locks onto the slide near the ejection port there are ridges on each side of the gl-01 als and on the sw-01 it is completely smooth soI am thinking this is the issue.

I called safariland customer service and the lady didn’t seem to understand my concern or question and asked the model number for the 6360 light bearing to make sure it was the right holster for my pistol (well no crap it was) and then I was like well I want another one for an off duty training set up but I don’t want it to be impossible to remove the gun is there anyway I can order the gl-01 als part to which she said no that if there is a problem with the als I would have to send the entire holster in which will probably just get me the same sw-01 part that I am having issues with.

Does anyone else run either of these holsters if so would you look at it and see which als part number is in yours. I guess a solution would be to go buy a glock 6360 if it has the gl-01 part and switch it out with the sw-01 if I need to but that’s an expensive fix.

pictures to come:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5156/6944825386_08e77b8c85_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7237/6944825130_92d106f3ff_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7242/7090893959_38723e3e12_b.jpg
gl-01

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7238/7090893035_0de4639ced_b.jpg
sw-01

SWATcop556
04-18-12, 14:11
Mine's the GL-01 in my 6390. No issues for me. I'll dig around here at the office and look at the others to see of someone has the corresponding part number. Interesting issue though.

FWIW this particular holster is one of my many 6390's, it's just the newest purchased one from CopQuest as of February. Black STX Tac finish for the G17 with X300.

Voodoo_Man
04-18-12, 16:50
The only safariland light holsters I had where the non-ALS type. They worked awesome.

beavo451
04-19-12, 17:34
I have a two 6360s, one for a P226 + X300 and one for a G17 + X300. My Glock 6360 has GL01 on the ALS.

On both of the holsters, if I place slight upwards pressure on the pistol, the ALS is very hard to release. If I place more pressure, the ALS will not release. I have to make sure to release the ALS prior to trying to draw the gun out.

I would imagine that this would be normal operation because during a gun grab, the upwards pressure of somebody tugging on the pistol would make it harder to release.

the1911fan
04-21-12, 13:04
I have a two 6360s, one for a P226 + X300 and one for a G17 + X300. My Glock 6360 has GL01 on the ALS.

On both of the holsters, if I place slight upwards pressure on the pistol, the ALS is very hard to release. If I place more pressure, the ALS will not release. I have to make sure to release the ALS prior to trying to draw the gun out.

I would imagine that this would be normal operation because during a gun grab, the upwards pressure of somebody tugging on the pistol would make it harder to release.

My experience also, a good design feature IMHO

karmapolice
04-21-12, 13:36
with the gl-01 it makes it harder but will still release, but with the sw-01 its basically impossible. I am all for helpful retention but on a regular draw it makes it almost impossible to get the gun out unless you do it perfect that is not safe its dangerous. I would rather have a pistol I can get out of a holster with ease than one that I may or may not be able to get out of the holster quickly when I need it. I am not talking about trying to pull the pistol out of the holster with force with out pressing the als, I am talking I get a full grip on the pistol slightly raising it slightly and it locks up the als completely.

beavo451
04-21-12, 17:35
I've used the 6360 on duty for five years and have never had it hang up on me.

Jim D
04-21-12, 18:23
I'd ask for a call back from someone who is in the tech end of their company. The girls they have there that answer the phones have always been really helpful, but I've stumped them more than once. You probably just need to talk to someone who isn't in "customer service" to get more info about what you're experiencing.

the1911fan
04-21-12, 19:32
I am not talking about trying to pull the pistol out of the holster with force with out pressing the als, I am talking I get a full grip on the pistol slightly raising it slightly and it locks up the als completely.

Does pushing downward on the gun reset the ALS and allow for the gun to be released?

KiloSierra
04-27-12, 05:39
I have the concealment ALS for my M&P40. If you pull up before you hot the release it will lock the release. I've tried the SLS/ALS duty holsters and know several other officer that use them and the ALS does the same on them to. The SLS will also lockup on if you pull up on the gun with any meaningful amount of force before it starts to rotate to. I always train to push down slightly as I release the ALS or SLS.