PDA

View Full Version : Double stack 9mm to compliment Kahr line

Cazwell
04-18-12, 21:56
My wife currently carries a Kahr PM9. She is tiny, and girls clothes make it difficult to do what a lot of us guys will do in order to conceal.

Anyhow, I like the Kahr's a lot. I carry a K9 when I go to work and have to wear a shirt and tie. Our examples have been pretty flawless.

Anyways, to my question; Wife is interested in getting herself a larger double stack 9mm, mostly for classes and I think just to have one. I am looking for thoughts on what would be a good match in terms of trigger/manual of arms/ergo's etc to the Kahr's she is already used to and will often still carry?

Also, which is typically considered the most difficult to overcome, a different trigger, or a different mag release? I have been told in other threads that HK's LEM trigger is pretty similar to a Kahr trigger. However, with the higher bore axis and different mag release on the HK, I wasn't sure if the trigger similarities would make it a better choice than say, a Glock or M&P with different trigger but same mag release and bore axis?

Looking for thoughts and suggestions. She will rent and shoot and then choose on her own, but narrowing it down ahead of time to a few smart, well thought out choices to rent would be helpful.

feedramp
04-18-12, 22:57
Along the same lines, I have a petite lady also. Thinking about getting her her own handgun, too, but not sure what to recommend she look at. I'm partial to Glocks, and she's shot the model 26 but even that was slightly too big for her hand size to be completely comfortable manipulating it for reloads and such (though granted with some more practice she could probably manage). Recoil was manageable for her, which is good. It would be primarily for range use and if it could run 9mm that would be ideal to cut down on the variety of ammo I'd have to stock.

ETA: I was about to post a separate thread but it sounds like we might be looking for similar items. Perhaps single-stack nines in my case though.

mkmckinley
04-18-12, 23:25
An M&P9c would be about perfect.

glocktogo
04-19-12, 00:19
For trigger compatibility, it would be tough to beat a DAO S&W 5946 or similar model. The trigger pull on them is one of the shortest for a DAO and the control layout would be nearly identical. They made an alloy frame version as well, but it might be tough to find.

I just picked my wife up a Kahr T9. 8+1 capacity and steel frame to soak up the recoil for range and HD use. I got a like new one for $575.

jyo
04-19-12, 02:27
I think one of the smaller HKs like the P2000 9mm with LEM trigger would be perfect---the "higher bore axis" thing is a non-issue---especially with the 9mm---recoil is just not a problem. My wife's pistol is a Kahr CW9---the poly version of your K9---she shoots my HK P2000 9mm and has no issues with the mag release or the fact that it has the DA/SA trigger---just a learning process. The P2000 also has three different size grip inserts to adjust for hand size---I just leave the smallest one on and it fits my large and her smaller hands just fine.

Cazwell
04-19-12, 17:19
Along the same lines, I have a petite lady also. Thinking about getting her her own handgun, too, but not sure what to recommend she look at. I'm partial to Glocks, and she's shot the model 26 but even that was slightly too big for her hand size to be completely comfortable manipulating it for reloads and such (though granted with some more practice she could probably manage). Recoil was manageable for her, which is good. It would be primarily for range use and if it could run 9mm that would be ideal to cut down on the variety of ammo I'd have to stock.

ETA: I was about to post a separate thread but it sounds like we might be looking for similar items. Perhaps single-stack nines in my case though.

Well, I would definately suggest having her rent a couple of Kahrs. I am a big fan of my wife carrying, and 90% of the time, she wont cary anything but her PM9. I'm not aware of anything that can really compete with it's size, accuracy etc. I can't even tell I'm wearing it when I put it on. In her crossbreed supertuck it disapears, even in tight heans and a shirt. It's suprisingly accurate too. You can add to it a CW9/PM9 as the next size up to compliment it.

My wife tried the PPS as well, but didn't like it as much as the Kahr, and its noticable larger than the PM9 - so she didn't carry it as much.

Cazwell
04-19-12, 17:23
An M&P9c would be about perfect.

I was entertaining an M&P9c or G19 to compliment her Kahrs.. started looking outside of those when it was mentioned to me that the LEM trigger is so similar to the Kahr.

For trigger compatibility, it would be tough to beat a DAO S&W 5946 or similar model. The trigger pull on them is one of the shortest for a DAO and the control layout would be nearly identical. They made an alloy frame version as well, but it might be tough to find.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to keep my eyes pealed for one.

I think one of the smaller HKs like the P2000 9mm with LEM trigger would be perfect---the "higher bore axis" thing is a non-issue---especially with the 9mm---recoil is just not a problem. My wife's pistol is a Kahr CW9---the poly version of your K9---she shoots my HK P2000 9mm and has no issues with the mag release or the fact that it has the DA/SA trigger---just a learning process. The P2000 also has three different size grip inserts to adjust for hand size---I just leave the smallest one on and it fits my large and her smaller hands just fine.

I really want her to try a P2000... When I mentioned the high bore axis I wasn't concerned with recoil, rather, if it would be different enough in terms of how it sat in her hand, how it pointed etc, to be hard to go back and forth between the Kahr.

I hear the P2000 is pretty awesome do it all pistol.

feedramp
04-19-12, 21:13
Well, I would definately suggest having her rent a couple of Kahrs. I am a big fan of my wife carrying, and 90% of the time, she wont cary anything but her PM9. I'm not aware of anything that can really compete with it's size, accuracy etc. I can't even tell I'm wearing it when I put it on. In her crossbreed supertuck it disapears, even in tight heans and a shirt. It's suprisingly accurate too. You can add to it a CW9/PM9 as the next size up to compliment it.

My wife tried the PPS as well, but didn't like it as much as the Kahr, and its noticable larger than the PM9 - so she didn't carry it as much.
Thanks, appreciate the recommendation.

LDM
04-20-12, 14:42
I have two Kahrs and two H&K's with LEM.
Kahr: PM9 and TP45
H&K: P2000 and P30, both LEM
I do not have trouble transitioning between these weapons. Triggers are very similar.
Depending upon your wife's hand size, either the P2000 or P30 would be good solution.

Cazwell
04-20-12, 14:51
I have two Kahrs and two H&K's with LEM.
Kahr: PM9 and TP45
H&K: P2000 and P30, both LEM
I do not have trouble transitioning between these weapons. Triggers are very similar.
Depending upon your wife's hand size, either the P2000 or P30 would be good solution.

Thanks for the input. I know HK has many trigger variations, is there a particular LEM that is better than another? Or that is more similar to the kahr's?

E-man930
04-20-12, 16:17
My wife carries a H&K P2000SK 9mm in LEM, she is tiny, and loves her gun. Any version of the LEM is GTG, you can always order different springs (cheap) from H&K and swap them around to play with trigger weights. Her hands are very small and she does really well with the LEM vs. the DA/SA P2000SK she had before which she did OK with. The LEM avoids a heavy first pull as the hammer remains pre-cocked and it is very easy for her to pull through the long take up to the break point during firing. Hope this helps...

ruchik
04-21-12, 09:31
Another thing to think about is trigger reach. The reach in a Kahr K9 is substantially shorter than say, a Sig P250, or P2000, as it is a single stack. If your wife has hands as small as mine, that may become an issue.

Cazwell
04-24-12, 18:55
Been keeping an eye out for a p2000 since this discussion.

The following just popped up on BP.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/580-hk-p2000-9mm-full-size-one-mag-case-hollow-points/17355085

That seems to be a pretty good deal, yea?

Since I am completely new to HK's, I thought I would ask, can you tell what trigger system this one is? I shot an email off to the seller already.

Defaultmp3
04-24-12, 19:03
Been keeping an eye out for a p2000 since this discussion.

The following just popped up on BP.

http://phoenix.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/580-hk-p2000-9mm-full-size-one-mag-case-hollow-points/17355085

That seems to be a pretty good deal, yea?

Since I am completely new to HK's, I thought I would ask, can you tell what trigger system this one is? I shot an email off to the seller already.

Looks like a V3 P2000, which has a conventional DA/SA trigger and hammer, since it appears to have the decocking button on the back of the frame.

Cazwell
04-24-12, 19:07
Looks like a V3 P2000, which has a conventional DA/SA trigger and hammer, since it appears to have the decocking button on the back of the frame.

Thanks... tried to get as close a look on my phone as I could, but wasn't sure where the decocking button was on p2000.

Guess I'll keep waiting on a LEM.

Thanks.

E-man930
04-24-12, 22:02
Check on HKPro, maybe even place a WTB add on there - you never know who is about to sell off their P2000 or P2000SK in LEM.