PDA

View Full Version : What is the Best Gas Piston Conversion?

Lawdog-1
04-18-12, 22:19
I have come-up blank in my search for the Best gas-piston conversion. And I would like to find one that will fit under my DD MK18 RIS II rail.

sinlessorrow
04-19-12, 00:51
I am almost certain no conversion fit under the RIS II

vicious_cb
04-19-12, 01:07
Pretty much every drop in conversion tends to have reliability issues. Either get one thats built from the ground up as a piston or stick to DI, preferably the latter.

djmorris
04-19-12, 07:45
Adam Arms Piston Conversion is one of the better piston conversion kits out there. I've heard good things about it and it seems to be fairly reliable overall. The main issue is that it's not attached/mounted like it would be on a factory piston and honestly it seems like it's more similar to the DI system than Piston.

Here's some good info on it

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?434-Adams-Arms-Piston-Review

I just don't really see how it'll benefit your DI gun that much. If anything, changing it from the way it was intended to run will give all the more reason for failure. To each their own, though.....

justin_247
04-19-12, 10:36
I have come-up blank in my search for the Best gas-piston conversion. And I would like to find one that will fit under my DD MK18 RIS II rail.

There are no gas piston conversion kits that are compatible with that rail.

Everything else you need to know about gas piston conversion kits can be found by doing a search of this forum by either clicking the "Search" button above or running a Google search with "site:m4carbine.net" inserted at the beginning of the text.

Lawdog-1
04-19-12, 11:52
I was just playing with Gas Piston Conversion idea. I would love to have a HK 416 upper, but I haven't lost my mind and ready to spend $4000.00 plus on one.

MistWolf
04-19-12, 15:53
What's wrong with the piston the standard AR comes with?

VIP3R 237
04-20-12, 00:54
Id look at an entire upper before a conversion. Get a lmt mrp upper or pws upper if you want a piston.

Probably the best explaination ive read is this email from John Noveske:
[DefenseReview received the following post-interview via email from John Noveske: "Also, we should mention the poor choice of platform for the piston conversion on a round receiver bore as found on the M16/M4 system. All other piston type systems out there utilize a railed receiver design, like the M14, AK-47, M249, FAL and so on. The round receiver bore design used on the M4 is only acceptable for the standard op system. The carrier and bolt expand on axis with the bore under the normal gas impingement cycle, but on a piston gun, you run into off center impulse issues with carrier tilt and incorrectly designed carrier contact points. Some designs attempt to address the carrier tilt problem with over sized carrier tails and rollers. I do not believe the receiver extension should be used in this manor. I know many people are very happy with their piston weapons. This is not meant as a knock on the piston conversion systems out there, but as a philosophical dialogue focused the new physiological relationships applied to the M16/M4 platform through the introduction of an operating system which has traditionally been applied to receivers with rails for the bolt and/or carrier. I would rather see an entirely new weapon system designed for the piston from the ground up. I believe there several outfits currently working on this."]

PA PATRIOT
04-20-12, 20:25
I picked up a complete Adams Arms 16" piston upper on last years Black Friday sale as I was in the market for a new complete upper and the sale price with the addition of some gift cards made it a no cost purchase.

To date I have 1370rds of Wolf 55gr FMJ fired through the A/A and it has been perfect with no re-lube or detailed cleaning. I did run a bore snake at 750rds but thats all I did maintenance wise and thats not bad for firing Wolf which is know for its fouling.

I would buy another if I could find it on a good sale.

mildot
04-21-12, 09:10
This is one option?

MR556A1 Upper Receiver Kit USD 1895.00
ArtNo.:
Special Introductory Pricing - Regular Price $2,195
Allows most AR-syle rifles (retractable stock models only) to be retrofitted to the same pusher rod system used in the MR556A1 and HK416. Includes complete MR556A1 Upper Receiver/Barrel Assembly with HK 16.5 inch cold-hammer forged barrel, upper receiver with forward assist, extended convertible charging handle, HK Free Floating Rail System handguard, HK Bolt Group Assembly, HK Proprietary Buffer, and HK Buffer (Action) Spring. Limited Lifetime Warranty. MR556A1 Upper Receiver Kits cannot be shipped, sold, or possessed in the following states and jurisdictions: CT, NY, NJ, NH.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/mildot326/thumb_300x300_MR556A1-URK.jpg

Lawdog-1
04-22-12, 13:48
I don't have any problem with lmt upper turned into a 10.5 MK18 with a LMT FA BCG. I was thinking about convert my upper into a Gaspiston conversion. I was just thinking about a Gaspiston version.

JSantoro
04-23-12, 12:46
he stated he want a drop in that fits under his DD RIS II, so he may have a very nice AR.

So the questions that need answering is...

....actually only ONE question, and it is the question the OP originally asked, period, end of story.

Geting a little tired of the gleeful abandon with which some folks will create topic drift by making up their own question to answer, instead of answering the question that was asked. It's getting to the point that it appears intentional.

Just got through brooming all the posts that had nothing to do with the OP. The fact that they comprised 2/3 of the size of the thread before I started cleaning is completely unsat. You cats that've been around a bit are supposed to know better.

Arctic1
04-23-12, 14:15
My apologies

jet80tv
04-26-12, 01:15
What's wrong with the piston the standard AR comes with?

?????

sinlessorrow
04-26-12, 01:40
?????

you know the one built into the back of the bolt.

jet80tv
04-26-12, 09:47
you know the one built into the back of the bolt.

Oh im well aware and...how could I not be with mistwolf regularly pointing this out. The di is tried and true and perfectly fine and all that but maybe some people actually WANT a piston gun(op-rod gun)for whatever reason. And you know what? piston guns arent half bad either from what I've experienced. Now of course most are going to say "if you want a piston gun, get one built from the ground up that way", but that's the thing why not exploit the versatility and the utility of the AR and with some relatively minor adjustments, additions etc. and you've expanded on the platform and can now market it to individuals or groups who believe they can benefit from this configuration. Is it necessary? certainly not, was the mid length gas system necessary? the perceived "problems"(carrier tilt etc.) associated with the oprod type piston guns are so minor in most designs as not to be relevant. OP, if you currently own an ar you are looking to convert or are building an upper i would recommend the adams arms kit to you.

04-29-12, 23:47
Look into the Osprey Defense kit. I have one under a Midwest Industries TI-9 rail it barely fits but is possible. No problems. If you wanna see pics pm me.