PDA

View Full Version : Gen4 G17 question - GTG?

cpoth
04-18-12, 22:53
I will be buying a new gen4 G17 in about a month. I know some of the earlier gen4 pistols had issues with the recoil spring and maybe other problems I haven't read about yet. I also have read that these problems have since been resolved in newly manufactured pistols. My question is as follows...

When I buy the gun, what manufacturing date/time frame should I be looking for to ensure that I have a newer gen4 g17 that does not have the problems the of the early gen4 g17?

Thanks for any and all help,
CP

vigilant2
04-19-12, 04:14
I also have read that these problems have since been resolved in newly manufactured pistols. My question is as follows...

When I buy the gun, what manufacturing date/time frame should I be looking for to ensure that I have a newer gen4 g17 that does not have the problems the of the early gen4 g17?

CP

Welcome to M4carbine.
First off , to say the problems have been resolved with the new upgrades is misleading at best. It is still a crapshoot even if you get a gun with all the upgrades. I suggest you read the threads listed below(search engine is your friend).
Rather than look for a manufacturing date, have the seller/store allow you to break the gun down. You're looking for the #30274 ejector (it will be so marked) you do not want the 336 ejector. Secondly you want the 0-3-4 RSA (G19), 0-2-4 (G17) (recoil spring assembly) also marked on the rear of the assembly. This is the latest "upgrade".
I've read reports of a new non-dip extractor ,but I haven't seen one yet. Checking for these will guarantee the latest upgrades, but in no way guarantee no ejection/malfunction problems.
None of the newly upgraded guns (that I've read of) that are running
great have round counts that amount to the problems being solved.

Again search the threads.................

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54945

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92133

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90893

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=102742

Correction made.... thanks Ryan

JHC
04-19-12, 05:11
When you are picking one out, look in the factory box for the small manila envelope with the fired casings in it. There is a date of test fire on the envelope. I would choose one with a 2012 date.

Educate yourself on these threads and make your own decision.

We have 8 Gen 4 9mms here. Four were the first on the street a couple years ago. Four are 2012 dated. The 2012 ones all have the updated ejector referenced above. They all have run reliably.

cpoth
04-19-12, 08:39
Thank you very much for the replies - much appreciated. I will be reading through all of the before mentioned threads and do another search of my own before my purchase.

RyanS
04-19-12, 08:49
Welcome to M4carbine.
Secondly you want the 0-3-4 RSA (recoil spring assembly) also marked on the rear of the assembly.

The latest RSA for the 17 is 0-2-4.

gatorfan605
04-19-12, 08:52
Newer production guns seem to not have the same issues. I have 2 gen4's and have had no issues to date.

vigilant2
04-19-12, 09:07
The latest RSA for the 17 is 0-2-4.

Yeah, I've got G19 on the mind:)

RyanS
04-19-12, 09:16
Yeah, I've got G19 on the mind:)

Me too....just need a little extra cash and I will have one in my hand instead.

Joe Mamma
04-19-12, 09:30
I will be buying a new gen4 G17 in about a month. I know some of the earlier gen4 pistols had issues with the recoil spring and maybe other problems I haven't read about yet. I also have read that these problems have since been resolved in newly manufactured pistols. My question is as follows...

CP

You want to avoid anything before about a September 1, 2011 manufacture date.

For what it's worth, my personal feeling is that the only significant concern with a recent Gen 4 G17 is a bad extractor. The risk of having ejector and recoil spring issues should be minimal.

Joe Mamma

cpoth
04-19-12, 22:58
Ok I read through the articles posted, and just about all the other articles I could find related to the G17 Gen 4 line. As has been mentioned, it appears that later manufacture dates indicate corrections to the FTE and erratic ejection problems with few lingering problems. Am I misinformed? Does anyone have any information to the contrary? I purchased a LWD LCI 9mm extractor in case I run into problems, any issues with these? Should I expect any problems after installing an OEM Glock 3.5 lb trigger? Thanks for any and all information, I very much appreciate it.

Joe Mamma
04-20-12, 07:01
Ok I read through the articles posted, and just about all the other articles I could find related to the G17 Gen 4 line. As has been mentioned, it appears that later manufacture dates indicate corrections to the FTE and erratic ejection problems with few lingering problems. Am I misinformed? Does anyone have any information to the contrary? I purchased a LWD LCI 9mm extractor in case I run into problems, any issues with these? Should I expect any problems after installing an OEM Glock 3.5 lb trigger? Thanks for any and all information, I very much appreciate it.

I am pretty current on the Glock Gen4 issues. You are doing everything right.

I assume you mean a 3.5 lb trigger connector when you say "OEM Glock 3.5 lb trigger." If so, you should not expect any problems.

The only thing I would add is that Glocks have been selling very well recently. I don't think you could find a new "earlier" Gen4 gun even if you tried.

Joe Mamma

cpoth
04-20-12, 07:11
Thanks Joe Mamma, yes thats correct with the connector. That definitely makes me feel a bit better about my upcoming purchase. I will still be looking at the extractor and ejector before I take the pistol home.