PDA

View Full Version : North Korea Welcoming Foreigners

Safetyhit
04-19-12, 18:08
Most spots are booked up, better act fast...

http://www.korea-dpr.com/kfa_travel.html

Hope they are on a more sensible path, but there's a long way to go. And still not sure that Westerners are particularly welcome regardless, though it does specify Americans in one of the PDF itineraries.

LHS
04-20-12, 00:41
How long before one of those tourists gets arrested for something trumped up, leading to another overseas trip for Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter?

jwfuhrman
04-20-12, 08:31
I think whats going on is the fact that North Korea is so pathetic and poor, that "the Kid" see's the positives in tourism. By bringing all that money into his economy he can grow his military more...... by that time we will be even more broke, be pulling back from all over.

NK will reunite with SK, start a military conquest now that they have a good economy from SK by taking over SE Asia. Japan, Vietnam, all the major cheap labor countries(other than China) will join them.

Then they will launch a Satellite they say is for Comms, only it will be an EMP, take out our already crippled country(because of poor economy) and invade....

Oh wait, thats the premise to the game Homefront....

Mauser KAR98K
04-20-12, 11:10
I wanna go. I want to see a nuclear detonation.

Safetyhit
04-21-12, 10:12
I was thinking of booking a spot and spending a few days distributing anti-totalitarian leaflets at major intersections in Pyongyang. I doubt it would be an issue with anyone.

TAZ
04-21-12, 11:59
I don't question NK acceptance of foreign tourists as a source of revenue, but I do question the sanity of foreigners traveling to that shithole. I don't care how good a deal you get or how happy an ending some commie asshat can arrange for you, but unless you have family trapped there why go???

Suwannee Tim
04-21-12, 19:51
Not long ago a South Korean woman tourist was shot to death by a Nork Border Patrol for no good reason. What lovely hosts. You annoy them, they shoot, or hack you to death. What's not to love?

chadbag
04-22-12, 03:32
This is a few years old, but I actually got the link from a thread here on M4C. I watched all 3 parts of the series. Was very interesting.

http://www.vice.com/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-1-of-3

Hey, you can go take a look at the USS Pueblo.

--

I've been in SK once for 2 nights and a day. If I didn't have my family with me I would have gone to the DMZ (long layover on the way to Japan, would have been like 17 hours or so which was long enough that we decided to go into the city and spend a day and two nights). Probably as close as I really want to get to NK.

--

montanadave
04-22-12, 05:20
I'll put North Korea on my "must visit list ... right after Somalia.

With all the beautiful, historic, and inspiring places to visit both here and abroad, it would have to be a cold day in hell before I'd spend my money to go visit a shit hole like North Korea.

Suwannee Tim
04-22-12, 21:20
It just occurred to me. I'm on a new med that makes me dream the craziest most vivid and detailed dreams all night long. Now, instead of last night dreaming about Kyung Wha Chung (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtnaJ2ZkN60&feature=related), tonight I'll dream about Dear Leader, Great Leader and Supreme Leader. Thanks a lot guys. Thanks a hell of a lot.

Safetyhit
04-23-12, 09:33
Hey, you can go take a look at the USS Pueblo.

If that poor ship has a soul, as some maritimer's believe, it must be saying to itself "How the fu*k did I end up here?"

Suwannee Tim
04-23-12, 20:44
You guys are off the hook. I didn't dream about Great Leader, Dear Leader or even Supreme Leader. I dreamed about Kyung Wha Chung again. I had the enormous privilege of hearing her play in a private chamber recital when I was a grad student in NYC. Even more of a privilege was the party that followed. She was the most charming, graceful, poised woman I had ever seen. And one of the most beautiful. I was in love but heartbroken in the knowledge that I was unlikely to ever see her again. I can't even remember who the other musicians were. The girl who brung me, a classy lady in her own right was not amused. I guess I just ain't cut out for classy ladies. I have loved Koreans ever since. South Koreans that is.