PDA

View Full Version : Safariland ALS guard/lock

krisjon
04-20-12, 16:32
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6006

Anyone running this? Pros/cons? Must have?

I took the chop block/guard off of my ALS as soon as I got it and love the overall fast draw of the system.

I'm not in situations where gun grabs are an issue, so I'm wondering if this is just extra kit I don't need and another step in my draw stroke.

beavo451
04-21-12, 18:34
I think you answered your own question. No need for an extra retention, then no need for the ALS lock.

krisjon
04-22-12, 12:41
That's pretty much what I knew going into this, but I was just curious about people's thoughts and experiences with it.

Voodoo_Man
04-22-12, 12:58
You do not need it.

The standard system works well enough.

krisjon
04-22-12, 13:04
Thanks. I know Safariland makes bombproof stuff and I feel like the retention is pretty much the same. I guess the lock is more for meeting LEO duty/retention standards than anything else.

Voodoo_Man
04-22-12, 13:15
Thanks. I know Safariland makes bombproof stuff and I feel like the retention is pretty much the same. I guess the lock is more for meeting LEO duty/retention standards than anything else.

I've had a safariland holster of some sort on duty for a while now, never had an issue, the button does not move unless you move it.

ZoomByU
04-23-12, 05:41
It's not really another step in the draw. When I push the hood down the point where my thumb bends at the joint goes right on top of it naturally. Then I squeeze the gun to get a firm grip and the retention releases. But if you don't need the retention no need for it.

krisjon
04-23-12, 10:16
It's not really another step in the draw. When I push the hood down the point where my thumb bends at the joint goes right on top of it naturally. Then I squeeze the gun to get a firm grip and the retention releases. But if you don't need the retention no need for it.

Thanks. I took a look at a Safariland video recently that showed the type of push-pinch grip it takes to release with the lock. It does seem pretty natural and easy - which is a hallmark of solid design. But I'm thinking now that unless I'm really rolling around like Chris Costa or dealing with holster-savvy hoodlums, the regular holster retention should be fine.

jpeezy
05-12-12, 16:36
I use the Safariland 6395 ALS on duty, just replacing an older SLS model. I've found that it has a quicker draw and overall kicks ass. I have not noticed that the hood inhibits the draw. Use what works for you, it's an awesome piece of equipment.

Turnkey11
05-13-12, 17:17
I replaced my duty rig with a Safariland ALS a couple months ago, and have since ordered 3 more ALS holsters for other guns because I like them so much. Theyre a little thick to hide under a shirt, but are great for general/range/open carry use.