PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Advice Needed...

DeltaSierra
04-20-12, 19:45
I'm seriously considering getting a bike, and need advice since I really don't know to much about motorcycles.

I had a Honda Rebel for a few weeks when I was 17, but other than that I really don't have any experience with bikes...

I intend to use a motorcycle on a cross-country road trip next summer, so I want something that I can stow some camping gear on. Other than that, I really don't have any requirements for the bike.

I think that I want a sport-type bike, although I understand that they may not be as good for long rides, I am willing to compromise some cruising performance for a smaller/agile bike.

I don't want a large bike, but I think I want something bigger than the 250 that I had, as I simply don't think that I would enjoy traveling across the country on something that small...

As far as my budget - I'd certainly like to keep it below $4000, and I don't mind getting a used bike.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

jmp45
04-20-12, 20:00
My son just picked up a used bonneville for about $3k, 4k miles. 790 cc. Very cool bike. It's for his wife, he rides a Truxton. He just finished painting the bike for her. Still needs some work. Bonny would be my first choice..

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/bonneville2.jpg

His Thruxy

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/IMG_3430.jpg

C-grunt
04-20-12, 22:01
Ive known a few friends with the Yamaha cruiser that really like them. They are a cruiser but noe terribly big like some of the Harleys

Bolt_Overide
04-20-12, 22:18
My suggestion, and this is as an experienced rider, start out with a cruiser of any reputable brand in the 500-750 cc range, ride it for at least 6 months and a few thousand miles.

After that, you can make a decision about what you really want, and you will be far more ready for the more powerful bikes that have a better chance of killing you.

Worst thing you can do is start out with something that's got a ****-ton of power, lot of new riders get themselves killed that way.

lethal dose
04-20-12, 23:29
Grab a bandit 1200. Great power and good for touring. I don't believe in "beginner bikes"... Just don't twist the throttle any faster then you wanna go.

Reagans Rascals
04-21-12, 00:48
I have a 2000 Honda Shadow VT1100C Spirit I'd be willing to part with...

Has custom straight exhaust, saddle bags, luggage rack, large travel bag, front bag, highway lights, and windshield. New Tires, brakes, oil, plugs, and filter...

p.m. if interested...

It's a great road bike... the owner I bought it from in 2008 drove it to Sturgis and back and said he loved every minute of it...

Mauser KAR98K
04-21-12, 01:40
My son just picked up a used bonneville for about $3k, 4k miles. 790 cc. Very cool bike. It's for his wife, he rides a Truxton. He just finished painting the bike for her. Still needs some work. Bonny would be my first choice..

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/bonneville2.jpg

His Thruxy

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/IMG_3430.jpg

I want a THRUXTON BADDDD!!!!

tsconver
04-21-12, 08:22
Grab a bandit 1200. Great power and good for touring. I don't believe in "beginner bikes"... Just don't twist the throttle any faster then you wanna go.

This is just a dumb statement. Having rode for over 30 years and taught the msf course both beginner and experienced for ten of those a smaller beginner bike is the way to go. All statistics point to having somesort of accident in your first few months of ownership so get something cheap, rkde it a few months and get comfortable riding then you can decide on what you really need and want. Also take the msf course it usually reduces insurance some.

As far as long distance any liter class bike or bigger will suffice but again start with something in the 700 range that you do not care if you drop, wreck or trash.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

ralph
04-21-12, 08:24
I wasn't aware Triumph was back in business..I remember when they went out in '75..a sad day, friend of mine had just bought a new Bonneville just before they went out for $1500..Looks like they've made some improvements to the engine, and to the bike itself, How's it run?

M4arc
04-21-12, 08:38
Triumphs are cool and if you can find one used they're great options with a lot of personality.

Based on what you described I would look at something like the Suzuki V-Storm: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/V-Strom%20650/2012/DL650AADV.aspx

If you could find a used one that might be a good option for you. You could pack your camping gear and be able to hit the back roads to find the cool camping spots.

I wouldn't go for a 250cc because going across country on it would be murder.

David Thomas
04-21-12, 08:42
I love the triumphs. An old Norton would be cool. However, if i were in the market for a bike that size, i would probably go with the HD 48 or nightster. As a matter of fact when I was in the market, the nightster ended up finishing third on my list. The 2 bikes in front of it were there because of the greater importance placed on comfort. So, I went with a 2011 HD Road King Classic. Very nimble for a big bike. Super comfortable, once i replaced the stock bars.

Lots of great choices out there these days. However $4,000 doesnt go very far.

DeltaSierra
04-21-12, 08:49
This is just a dumb statement. Having rode for over 30 years and taught the msf course both beginner and experienced for ten of those a smaller beginner bike is the way to go. All statistics point to having somesort of accident in your first few months of ownership so get something cheap, rkde it a few months and get comfortable riding then you can decide on what you really need and want. Also take the msf course it usually reduces insurance some.

As far as long distance any liter class bike or bigger will suffice but again start with something in the 700 range that you do not care if you drop, wreck or trash.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll probably take the motorcycle safety course later this year or early next spring as in my state you either have to take the course (easy) or take a road test (harder...) so I figured on taking the course anyway...

jmp45
04-21-12, 09:55
I wasn't aware Triumph was back in business..I remember when they went out in '75..a sad day, friend of mine had just bought a new Bonneville just before they went out for $1500..Looks like they've made some improvements to the engine, and to the bike itself, How's it run?

The Bonny is a 2001. The Triumph Modern Classics run great, he's had no issues with his. The truxy is 865cc, his bonny is a 790cc both have been stripped down a bit. The engines are easy to work on, he's all about tuning for performance. His Truxton really gets attention about town. Occasionally you can find a good deal on Craigs.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/motorcycles/range/classics

If any of you are into brit bikes and are in Cinti on a Saturday morning, take a visit to Domi Racer. They are a huge distributor of vintage brit bike parts. The Java flat track bike they have is awesome.

https://www.domiracer.com/

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/domi01.jpg

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/domi02.jpg

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/domi03.jpg

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff386/bfmcgee/domi04.jpg

Mauser KAR98K
04-21-12, 11:21

The best part about the new Truimphs...no ****ing Lucas Electrics.

I love the triumphs. An old Norton would be cool.

You mean one of these....

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5062/5644314198_3e7c71359a.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5303/5643724527_ae1cbc442a.jpg

hey jmp45: Do you follow Cafe' Racer magazine?

jmp45
04-21-12, 11:57
hey jmp45: Do you follow Cafe' Racer magazine?

Not yet, maybe my son is.. I'm digging that Gretsch though!

BrigandTwoFour
04-21-12, 13:19
You mentioned loading up for touring, and a sporty type configuration. May I suggest a Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom?

It's upright sitting, nice tall stance to see out over traffic. It's got enough power to get you away from trouble without being overwhelming, and they are well known tourers among the adventure biking crowd. You should be able to find a used one well within your budget (they cost about 7.5K new).

Only downside is they're definitely not as sexy looking as Triumphs.

Here are a couple shots of mine.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_IzEzZhgP30/T5L5kUoOQVI/AAAAAAAAAYs/EvRwjkhre1A/s800/DSC_0179.JPG

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vAj_zqL8ths/T5L5njMEVjI/AAAAAAAAAY0/xvYnvm12MSA/s800/DSC_0071.JPG

DeltaSierra
04-21-12, 13:25
Triumphs are cool and if you can find one used they're great options with a lot of personality.

Based on what you described I would look at something like the Suzuki V-Storm: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/V-Strom%20650/2012/DL650AADV.aspx

If you could find a used one that might be a good option for you. You could pack your camping gear and be able to hit the back roads to find the cool camping spots.

I wouldn't go for a 250cc because going across country on it would be murder.

I'm liking that V-Strom. Thanks for the link...

I maybe should have been more specific in my original post as to the type of riding that I want to do - I don't like main highways, so I'll likely be hitting the back roads quite a bit - therefore why I am thinking that a sport-type bike might be better suited for what I want.

You mentioned loading up for touring, and a sporty type configuration. May I suggest a Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom?

It's upright sitting, nice tall stance to see out over traffic. It's got enough power to get you away from trouble without being overwhelming, and they are well known tourers among the adventure biking crowd. You should be able to find a used one well within your budget (they cost about 7.5K new).

Only downside is they're definitely not as sexy looking as Triumphs.

Here are a couple shots of mine.

That is a sharp looking bike! The more I think about it, the more I like this option...

How many miles do you have on that bike? How is the gas mileage (I know, dumb question, but since I will probably be putting at least 10,000 miles on a bike per year - likely even more, I'd like to think ahead a little...)

BrigandTwoFour
04-21-12, 13:52
It's my first bike, I bought it new at the end of last August and had to put it away for the lovely Montana winters. Right now I'm sitting at about 1000 miles, with hopefully several more thousand this year.

I'm getting in the area of 50 mpg right now. I have had no maintenance issues, though it's still early for that.

If you are interested in the bike, there is a whole community built around them over at http://www.stromtrooper.com

Those guys have been there and done that several times over. I did a lot of reading there before settling on buying one myself.

The two most common complaints are the windshield/mirrors causing a lot of wind buffeting and the seat. The buffeting can be fixed with a new windshield (which, if you buy used, might already be installed) and the there are several makers of new seats, or seat pads. I don't have any issues with the seat, but I'm not as...large...as some of the guys complaining about it.

DeltaSierra
04-21-12, 18:16
It's my first bike, I bought it new at the end of last August and had to put it away for the lovely Montana winters. Right now I'm sitting at about 1000 miles, with hopefully several more thousand this year.

I'm getting in the area of 50 mpg right now. I have had no maintenance issues, though it's still early for that.

If you are interested in the bike, there is a whole community built around them over at http://www.stromtrooper.com

Those guys have been there and done that several times over. I did a lot of reading there before settling on buying one myself.

The two most common complaints are the windshield/mirrors causing a lot of wind buffeting and the seat. The buffeting can be fixed with a new windshield (which, if you buy used, might already be installed) and the there are several makers of new seats, or seat pads. I don't have any issues with the seat, but I'm not as...large...as some of the guys complaining about it.

Thanks for the link - I'll definitely be doing a bit of reading there...

What part of Montana are you in? Depending on where you are I might be close enough to swing up by one of these days to see that thing in person!

SkiDevil
04-21-12, 19:14
I'm seriously considering getting a bike, and need advice since I really don't know to much about motorcycles.

I had a Honda Rebel for a few weeks when I was 17, but other than that I really don't have any experience with bikes...

I intend to use a motorcycle on a cross-country road trip next summer, so I want something that I can stow some camping gear on. Other than that, I really don't have any requirements for the bike.

I think that I want a sport-type bike, although I understand that they may not be as good for long rides, I am willing to compromise some cruising performance for a smaller/agile bike.

I don't want a large bike, but I think I want something bigger than the 250 that I had, as I simply don't think that I would enjoy traveling across the country on something that small...

As far as my budget - I'd certainly like to keep it below $4000, and I don't mind getting a used bike.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Oops. I thought you were referring to back roads, as in dirt, etc. That said my advice still stands. The most important thing to keep in mind is to get some experience with several models before making a choice. As for canyon carvers newer versions of the 600 CC sport bikes are pretty solid all around bikes. The closest sport bike that might permit some long distance travel and stay in the sport/ good handing category is the Honda Interceptor 800cc. The displacement varies by the year, roughly in that range. Highlights, nice mid- range power, saddles/ accessories available, and a fuel gauge.

The best motorcycle that I know of which would fit the parameters of what you would like to use it for is the BMW R1200 GS or one it's variants. The only obvious dilemma is the budget. I priced one out about a year and a half ago and with all of the luggage/ bags was around $25K. I will likely pick one up later. There are also some less expensive models but the 1200 would definitely provide more range and versatility.

There are some other comparable models, but in the 1000cc~ range. The KLR 650 is one for example.

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 14 and my general advice is to start with a smaller displacement bike. As someone mentioned, a powerful engine can get you into trouble fast. Unless you are a very large person, there quite a few models out there in the 500-600 cc range that could work well as a starter bike.

The motorcycle safety course is an excellent place to start. In California, most of the local JC colleges offer them and provide a mid-sized bike for you to use in the course.

As for brand names, I would stick with the Japanese models such as Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawaski, etc. all are extremely reliable and offer a lot of bang for your buck.

Just like everything else, you generally get what you pay for with motorcycles.

Good luck in your choice. Motorcycles are fun, but just be aware of the risks involved as well. If you are a family man something to give some thought.

SkiDevil

P.S. I would second the suggestion of a 600-700 cc cruiser bike like a Honda Shadow or an equivalent model from Yamaha or other makers. Once you have a few miles on the road you can advance to something larger. Also, once you have your license some dealers offer test rides and there are companies which rent motorcycles too.

DeltaSierra
04-21-12, 22:14
Thanks for the long detailed response - it is much appreciated.

The best motorcycle that I know of which would fit the parameters of what you would like to use it for is the BMW R1200 GS or one it's variants. The only obvious dilemma is the budget. I priced one out about a year and a half ago and with all of the luggage/ bags was around $25K. I will likely pick one up later. There are also some less expensive models but the 1200 would definitely provide more range and versatility.
What I wouldn't give for a BMW... I simply don't have that kind of cash to throw around right now (nor will I have in the foreseeable future) but it is on my "wish" list... :D

Good luck in your choice. Motorcycles are fun, but just be aware of the risks involved as well. If you are a family man something to give some thought.

My immediate family have had motorcycles in the past, so I can always use the excuse that it is in my blood...

I do understand some of the risks involved with riding, however I think that at this point the benefits outweigh the risks (I might actually be able to go on long trips more frequently than if I had to take my 4Runner...)

Thanks again for the detailed response!

DeltaSierra
04-22-12, 11:07
Well, last night a called a friend that works at a bike shop, and rides quite a bit himself...

He thought that the V-Strom sounds just about right for what I want to do, and really couldn't say anything bad about the bike - reliable, easy to maintain, etc. I guess that decides it... Now to find a good used one within my price range!

jmoore
04-22-12, 12:11
>>You mentioned loading up for touring, and a sporty type configuration. May I suggest a Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom?<<

Totally agree. Though they are too small for my 6'5"/290# frame - many folks I know have and love them. They have enough crotch-rocket look to please most in that group - and they have literally toured to the ends of the earth. AND - unlike Triumphs (which I also love dearly) - there will be a LOT more dealers around if you have troubles while going cross-country. I toured for 25+ years on BMWs. Used to be a great bike - less so now. But if you ever needed a dealership - it could be a state (or two) away!!!! (I once toured for a month to the nothern tip of Newfoundland. Man - am I glad the beemer didn't shit the bed on me on that trip!!!!!!)

Ride safe!

john

jmoore
04-22-12, 12:14
Well, last night a called a friend that works at a bike shop, and rides quite a bit himself...

He thought that the V-Strom sounds just about right for what I want to do, and really couldn't say anything bad about the bike - reliable, easy to maintain, etc. I guess that decides it... Now to find a good used one within my price range!

Track down an internet owners group - they might be able to set you up with a used bike that isn't too far from you. They will also be a good source (as this list is for shooting) for any possible weak spots the bike may have (EVERY MC has some weakspots:)

Ride safe!

john

platoonDaddy
04-22-12, 12:19

Which V-Storm the 650 or 1000?

Have been across the country twice and back, certainly wouldn't do it with a 650. Though there are some riders yearly departing the east coast to Sturgis on a Sportster. There is no friggin way my arthritic body could handle that pounding. That is why I opted for the Harley Ultra Classic.

Almost all the manufactures of motorcycles have a cruiser model, I would strongly recommend renting one until you locate the one that best suits your needs and capabilities. Note the word "capabilities" that is so very important. Last summer getting my bike serviced, I watched a new 2011 Ultra Classic dropped twice prior to the new owner departing the lot. The service manager told me that the rider rode before, but never anything the size of the Ultra Classic and wouldn't take advice.

Enjoy the road!

Dirk Williams
04-22-12, 16:01
Beleive it or not you can still purchase the Royal Enfield. India still produces them. I have a couple of associates who one them. Parts are availabe aswell if needed.

Ive owned several BSA's and Triumps. B50's, 441's 250's and 2 650's. Like any older bike put a modern ignition and a good carb on and they run like raped apes.

Many of my friends are still racing the above listed bikes in vintage motocross. It's a blast to watch and participate with them. Don't kid yourself these old 4 strokes can fly with a bit of TLC.

DW

DeltaSierra
04-22-12, 16:02
Which V-Storm the 650 or 1000?

Have been across the country twice and back, certainly wouldn't do it with a 650. Though there are some riders yearly departing the east coast to Sturgis on a Sportster. There is no friggin way my arthritic body could handle that pounding. That is why I opted for the Harley Ultra Classic.

Almost all the manufactures of motorcycles have a cruiser model, I would strongly recommend renting one until you locate the one that best suits your needs and capabilities. Note the word "capabilities" that is so very important. Last summer getting my bike serviced, I watched a new 2011 Ultra Classic dropped twice prior to the new owner departing the lot. The service manager told me that the rider rode before, but never anything the size of the Ultra Classic and wouldn't take advice.

Enjoy the road!

He suggested the V-Strom 650 - I'm 5'10" and 160 - according to him the 1000 would just be too much bike for me and what I want to do with it.

Thanks for the tips... Certainly good information to keep in mind.

BrigandTwoFour
04-22-12, 20:48
He suggested the V-Strom 650 - I'm 5'10" and 160 - according to him the 1000 would just be too much bike for me and what I want to do with it.

Thanks for the tips... Certainly good information to keep in mind.

The 650 will be fine for you. The only time the 1000 becomes more desirable is if you plan on riding two up with a full compliment of loaded luggage.

Just so you know, the Strom is a pretty damn tall bike, with a high center of gravity. Definitely try to sit on one and see how you feel before buying. If you're not used to it, the bike can feel unwieldy with a full tank of gas. But what's it's moving, it handles fantastically.