PDA

View Full Version : hipower mag Q

Dano5326
04-21-12, 10:37
I came across some 9mm hipower mags with an external spring, at the bottom rear, to eject them.

Where are these from? Nomenclature?

crusader377
04-21-12, 10:48
They could be 10rd Browning Factory magazines that were produced during the ban period. I have a BHP mark III that I bought in 1998 and it came with 2 10rd magazines that have the external springs that you described. They actually run quite well but are handicapped due to the 10rd capacity.

arbninftry
04-21-12, 10:52
They are OEM mags. As far as who makes them for Browning? I do not know. After looking at mine, maybe Mecgar. Mine also say made in Italy and hold 13 rounds

Dano5326
04-21-12, 11:40
13 rd, made in italy

These are the first i've seen with these eject springs.

If I was to want more, exactly the same, where to find and how to specify. Are these standard with all mkIII?

arbninftry
04-21-12, 12:55
CDNN Investments usually has them in stock or you can order the from the Browning website.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/hi9mm13magwn.html

Also they will say with spring, and they are really expensive from the browning website.

guy sajer
04-22-12, 10:08
It is my understanding that Browning added the spring to address complaints that the existing (proven) mags were not "drop free" . Drop free was one of the new phrases of the 90's I believe .

I've worked retail guns full time since '85 and recall when the new mags started showing up . While they work fine , personally I figured after 50 yrs and many wars , the original mags were getting it done . Times change I guess .

Sgt_Gold
04-28-12, 18:34
The magazine safety on the BHP causes the mag to drag inside the grip. Browning didn't want to design the mag safety out of the gun, and the mousetrap spring assists in ejecting the magazine.

number9xd
04-28-12, 19:22
Yep, loose the mag safety and you'll improve the trigger pull and standard mags will drop free too. The mec-gar mags from CDNN are gtg, they actually make the stock mags. There have been reports of the 15rd mag getting the follower bind and stop feeding rounds.