PDA

View Full Version : 62 gr fusion over 64 gr gold dot?

chamber143
04-21-12, 12:41
I really like the Speer gold dot 64 grain .223. I have read here that the 62 grain fusion is the same bullet process and is identical in makeup. My question is would the fusion be sufficient for SD or would it be giving up too much over the GD. I found the fusions for 5 a box cheaper and since I'm looking at getting 500 rounds I wanna know before I drop that much money.

bp7178
04-21-12, 15:48
I was considering the same thing.

What it came down to was availibility. I can buy the Fusion locally, granted for about $20 a box, but I can't do that with the Speer Gold Dot. Online, you can get the Fusion for $15-17 per 20.

I ran a couple of boxes of the Fusion through my SR15. Pretty good accuracy. I was really surprised to see crimped primers on a .223 load. They don't look like they are sealed, but they do have a very nice crimp.

I doubt the Fusion would give up anything to the Gold Dot in terms of ballistics.

krichbaum
04-22-12, 06:58
I'm *not* an expert on this subject, but based on my own research I'm completely comfortable with the Fusion 223 for SD/HD. I'm not sure I've even seen the Gold Dot stuff for sale. Even if I knew I could buy it for just $5 a box more than the Fusion 223, I'd likely still go with the Fusion. I know the Fusion is available for $15/box right now, which isn't bad.

FWIW, and this likely doesn't help you now, if ever run across Federal XM223SP1 it is essentially the same thing as the Fusion 223. There was a contract overrun that resulted in some of that stuff coming onto the retail market for $10/box. That was a smoking deal in my opinion, and I wish I'd have bought more. Just FYI if you run across it somewhere for 10 or 12 per box by chance.

chamber143
04-22-12, 09:50
This is what I was hoping to hear. I have always been a big fan of GD ammo in all sizes but I also like the fusion for 5 a boxless. I dropped a deer last year with a fusion in 30-06 and it hit hard and I've never seen a wound path that big. It was a bit too large for hunting but I will say it did what it was supposed to. In SD applications big wound paths will be good.

bp7178
04-22-12, 12:16
Now if only the 62gr Fusion bullet was availible as a reloading componet...

chamber143
04-22-12, 12:48
Now if only the 62gr Fusion bullet was availible as a reloading componet...

This may sound dumb but I have been looking into reloading. How much do you really save per 1000 rounds.

C4IGrant
04-22-12, 13:22
I'm *not* an expert on this subject, but based on my own research I'm completely comfortable with the Fusion 223 for SD/HD. I'm not sure I've even seen the Gold Dot stuff for sale. Even if I knew I could buy it for just $5 a box more than the Fusion 223, I'd likely still go with the Fusion. I know the Fusion is available for $15/box right now, which isn't bad.

FWIW, and this likely doesn't help you now, if ever run across Federal XM223SP1 it is essentially the same thing as the Fusion 223. There was a contract overrun that resulted in some of that stuff coming onto the retail market for $10/box. That was a smoking deal in my opinion, and I wish I'd have bought more. Just FYI if you run across it somewhere for 10 or 12 per box by chance.

You guys should check out the dealer forums once in awhile! We have been selling the LE restricted SPEER GD in the super rare 5.56 55gr and .223 64gr for some time. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SPEE

C4

chamber143
04-22-12, 13:27
You guys should check out the dealer forums once in awhile! We have been selling the LE restricted SPEER GD in the super rare 5.56 55gr and .223 64gr for some time. ;)

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=SPEE

C4

Trust me I know that...I sent you an email last night about them. The reason I did was because I want to get 200-300 rounds and I can get the fusions for 15 a box. Quite a savings over 20. I love and trust GD...it's what I have carried in my carry pistol for years. But the savings have intrigued me, hence the thread:D

chamber143
04-22-12, 13:48
Also grant what would u recommend, the 5.56 or the .223. Yes my BCM is chambered 5.56

number9xd
04-22-12, 14:14
I just went around with this same decision and ordered a batch of the Fusion at the $15 price.

Also, a couple months ago there was a supplier that had pulled Fusion bullets available, I've got my eye out to see if he gets some more. I wish the Gold Dot bullets were available like they are for 9mm, unless they are an I haven't found them yet.

chamber143
04-22-12, 14:54
I just went around with this same decision and ordered a batch of the Fusion at the $15 price.

Also, a couple months ago there was a supplier that had pulled Fusion bullets available, I've got my eye out to see if he gets some more. I wish the Gold Dot bullets were available like they are for 9mm, unless they are an I haven't found them yet.

If I could get grant to cut me a deal on 2-3 hundred I'd buy the gd. I hope he does.:D

bp7178
04-22-12, 14:58
This may sound dumb but I have been looking into reloading. How much do you really save per 1000 rounds.

IMO, the advantages of reloading are more than the cost. You can personally control every aspect of cartridge production, and make very high quality ammunition, for slightly less money.

When using CCI primers at about $30 per 1k, recycled brass, high end powder at about $22 per pound, and Hornady FMJ bullets, which are very consistent for FMJ bullets, you are at about .20 per round, compared to .33-.35 on the low end for factory ammo.

I wouldn't reload just for the cost, but for the quality I could get out of it at a slight savings.

C4IGrant
04-22-12, 15:03
Also grant what would u recommend, the 5.56 or the .223. Yes my BCM is chambered 5.56

Either is fine. The 5.56 version though is super rare (as they no longer make it).

C4

C4IGrant
04-22-12, 15:04
If I could get grant to cut me a deal on 2-3 hundred I'd buy the gd. I hope he does.:D

Since this ammo is heavily restricted and a PITA to get, it is hard to give any kind of discounts on it.

C4

chamber143
04-22-12, 15:07
Since this ammo is heavily restricted and a PITA to get, it is hard to give any kind of discounts on it.

C4

It never hurts to ask.