PDA

View Full Version : Budget long range optic question

trigeek37
04-21-12, 14:39
I am participating in my shooting club's F-class this year - it is mostly a friendly group (not cut-throat competitive league).

I've been using my Dad's Rem700/Nightforce until now - I just ordered my first bolt gun earlier this week.

the way I see it I have several options:

a) use the old and absolutely reliable Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 I've used on a number of riles that is currently sitting on my .308 AR. (spouse hostility rating = 0)

b) buy a lower end scope like a Millet 5-25. Some of the shooters in my club swear by them, and the internets seem to think they aren't junk... (spouse hostility rating = 3)

c) order a middle of the road scope - Viper PST FFP 5-25 or Bushnell 4-30 tactical elite. (spouse hostility rating = 6)

d) order a higher end scope - Nightforce, Leupold MK-4, etc. (spouse hostility rating = 12)

e) buy a S&B and look for a divorce lawyer... (I am kidding here, I wouldn't risk a happy marraige for an awesome scope)

I will be doing F-class at my club (600 yards) weekly and I will attend at least a couple of events at a longer range club up north this summer (1000 yards). I really like the idea of doing some more tactical shooting matches, but between f-class and my dabbling in 3-gun & carbine training, that may not happen...

Basically, is a Millet or Vortex money well spent? Or will I quickly realize the shortcomings of those optics and add another scope to my shelf that collects dust. It seems that all of the optics that get hard use for me are Aimpoint or Leupold...

if I hadn't been dumb and bought a PS90/Aimpoint T1 in March I'd have the money to buy a proper long range scope, but that ship has sailed and I really enjoy the PS90 for what it is...

shootist~
04-21-12, 15:29
Another in the 5-6 hostility range is the Weaver Tactical 3.5-15 FFP. Lower ~2 hos-range is the Midway/Vortex 5-15 SFP on sale for $399 till 4/30...but now backorder.

See reviews on Snipers Hide.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

trigeek37
04-21-12, 15:39
I read Sniper's Hide but don't post. your suggestion is appreciated, but I need more max magnification than 15x. 25x is probably the minimum - my Dad's rig has a 42x NF... I don't think I want to go quite that high, but it is a nice optic.

shootist~
04-21-12, 19:27
I read Sniper's Hide but don't post. your suggestion is appreciated, but I need more max magnification than 15x. 25x is probably the minimum - my Dad's rig has a 42x NF... I don't think I want to go quite that high, but it is a nice optic.

Then I guess the next logical bump up, in both price and power, would be the PST 6-24. Of the PST line, this one gets the best reviews (at least on the Hide) - no personal experience.

I'm in the same mode for a better scope for a bolt gun (actually I need to upgrade more than one - all older Luepolds). Not for competition, just longish square range use. I have the 5-15 Vortex HS on backorder, just to see if all the hoop about it is BS or not.

Horsehide
04-22-12, 13:09
For the money, the IOR scopes offer very nice glass.

thisaway
04-26-12, 09:27
post removed

Warg
04-26-12, 11:58
I've experience with all but the Millet on your list.

I'm most impressed with the Vortex given the price, clarity of the glass, zero stop capability and warranty. BTW, I think the Weaver Tacs have a tad bit better glass (better than my NF!), but not an option given your top end magnification requirements. IORs are fantastic too, but a it pricier.

Another scope worth checking out and probably coming in at a 6 or 7 on your spouse hostility scale is the new Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite with either the G2DMR or BRT reticle.

However, I would recommend that you adhere to option "a" and avoid any spousal hostility this year. Since it's a friendly sort of competition environment, get lots of practice a longer ranges with your Leupold and see if you can get some time shooting your fellow competitor's scopes to see which works the best for you. This will likely make you a better competitor when it's time to swap glass.

You can slowly start engaging the spouse on how you need a better scope this year to minimize the hostility factor when you upgrade next season.

afroney
04-26-12, 12:45
Have you considered the Nikon Prostaff or Monarch series scopes?

I've used the Prostaff extensively. I believe they can be had for under $120. Great light transmission, durable (hasn't lost zero on me once), and fairly clear optics.

siegrisj
04-26-12, 13:41
Take a look at the SWFA SS series as well. They are a fantastic scope for the money (have one on my rig). They run around $600. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx. They also make a fixed 10x with a ton of adjustment to it and are working on 12x 16x and 20x

The Weaver tactical is good as well, have that on my .22 since it closely matches my SWFA scope.

I have not shot F-class before so perhaps I'm out of line here, but I humbly submit that you reconsider your magnification requirements. 10x is enough to make hits out to 1000y. Having the extra might make you more competitive, so that might make the extra magnification worthwhile. It is nice to have but not really necessary IMO. Plenty of people have shot 1k with iron sights. 42x sounds more like something you would put on a .50BMG for 2000+ yard shots.

Less magnification should open up better quality scopes and more wife friendly price ranges

afroney
04-26-12, 13:54
Take a look at the SWFA SS series as well. They are a fantastic scope for the money (have one on my rig). They run around $600. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-MRAD-Scopes-C4225.aspx. They also make a fixed 10x with a ton of adjustment to it and are working on 12x 16x and 20x

The Weaver tactical is good as well, have that on my .22 since it closely matches my SWFA scope.

I have not shot F-class before so perhaps I'm out of line here, but I humbly submit that you reconsider your magnification requirements. 10x is enough to make hits out to 1000y. Having the extra might make you more competitive, so that might make the extra magnification worthwhile. It is nice to have but not really necessary IMO. Plenty of people have shot 1k with iron sights. 42x sounds more like something you would put on a .50BMG for 2000+ yard shots.

Less magnification should open up better quality scopes and more wife friendly price ranges

Well put.

Seems like many of the budget priced, high magnification scopes lack clarity out past 10x. I'm a big fan of the fixed 4x scopes, as I never find myself shooting past 500 yards.

trigeek37
04-26-12, 14:17
I ended up buying a FFP Viper Vortex PST 6-24 - should arrive tomorrow. first trip to the range on Saturday - I am plenty excited.

siegrisj
04-26-12, 15:26
Good choice. The vipers look like great scopes from the few minutes I had to paw one.

trigeek37
04-26-12, 15:41
I hope so. Every vendor I called SWFA, Optics Planet, Euro Optics had wonderful things to say about the Viper PST & HDs, though the FFP PST was hard to find. I had 2 people state that they would take the PST over a Nightforce. if that is only half true the PST is a steal under $1000.

siegrisj
04-26-12, 15:45
The PST line wasn't out when I got my SWFA or I would have gone with one of those too I think.

It probably doesn't help that the same features in a Nightforce will cost you something like what, 2.5 grand? :blink:

Would love to see a range report after the weekend.

Warg
04-26-12, 15:48
I hope so. Every vendor I called SWFA, Optics Planet, Euro Optics had wonderful things to say about the Viper PST & HDs, though the FFP PST was hard to find. I had 2 people state that they would take the PST over a Nightforce. if that is only half true the PST is a steal under $1000.

I'd buy a PST over another Nightforce for everything except for severely rough duty applications.

Congratulations on your purchase. You'll be pleased.

trigeek37
04-27-12, 08:44
The PST line wasn't out when I got my SWFA or I would have gone with one of those too I think.

It probably doesn't help that the same features in a Nightforce will cost you something like what, 2.5 grand? :blink:

Would love to see a range report after the weekend.

I can do that. I picked up the rifle yesterday and I loaded up 40 each 167 scenar/168 SMK/175 SMK with some different powder loads after initial break in with some random left over land loads and federal match ammo (plus a random box of black hills...)

oh, and the scope & rings are out on a delivery somewhere close by! UPS has an amazing website...